Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Caroline-chan5

Mom going with me to a convention?

Don't know if this is the right section or not ^^'

But I was just wondering, have any of your parents gone with you to a convention? I'm going to Animazement in May, and my mom is coming. But, it's because none of my friends like anime (so I can't go with a group or anything), I don't have my license, and we aren't staying at the hotel it's being held at. I don't exactly mind her going, but at the same time I'm nervous that I'll get made fun of or something o_o;;

So...what are your thoughts on parents and conventions?
Caroline-chan5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

This would probably be better in a General Cosplay Chat, but thats okay.

No one will make fun of your mom being there. Whole families go to cons together, it's pretty common. I just hope your mom brings a book if she's not into Anime so she doesn't get bored.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Akahime
Red Princess

My opinion is that I think it's very cool and very kind of your mother to spend her weekend with you at the con. She has to use up her time really at something she may or may not like. As long she is not always horrified at the con scene (and make negative remarks on things she may not be used to seeing), then all the more power to her. Because I think it's always great to see parents who are not into anime or other related genre attend cons with their kids who are.

Don't worry about being made fun of. There are plenty of people who has at least one of their parents with them at the con so it's not something that is weird or strange. I for one would be super happy if my parents joined at least one of my con experiences, but they're not into anime... at all. I hope you have lots of fun now!

Next cons: Anime Expo and Midoricon.
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Lithium Flower
Handphones

People of all ages attend conventions, not just teenagers and young adults. I am willing to bet plenty of other folks have their parents with them and I can guarantee people who are parents and grandparents will have attended conventions before. If you're a little embarrassed maybe think about why having your mom around makes you feel that way. Are you ashamed to be seen as too young to go on your own? Why are parents so embarrassing to you?

It's going to sound cliche and all that but remember that parents are actually you know..people with a life outside being your mother or father or grandparent I understand it's kind of hard to separate the image of 'mom' from 'individual person with their own likes and interests' sometimes but I think it will help you feel a little less 'weirded out' by walking around with your mom. She might really enjoy what you enjoy but expresses it in a different way. She might genuinely want to see what this convention is about and want to go again next year.

If you feel a bit embarrassed being followed around by your mom try to think of her less as your chaperon and as just someone to hang out with.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Neelh
Toa of Psionics

My dad takes me to conventions. But then again, I'm a minor.

nokama.tumblr.com
Neelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

I personally haven't attended with a parent (my aunt usually just stays in the hotel room), but I know several people who have, and it's never a big deal. :3 As people have said, I recommend your mom bringing a book or something if she isn't into anime. I highly doubt anyone would make fun of you, as many attendees of conventions are parents themselves. ^^

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
g00dapple

I see parents with their kids at cons all the time! The last con I went to, the convention goers parents were all setup in the lobby. Dad had his laptop, mom had some crafts, they were set! No one is going to make fun of you

2014 convention list we will be photographing coming soon!
g00dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
TenTigerLilies
Phuriously Khorrupt Lily

Nah, no one will make fun of you! I've only been to five conventions, but my friend's mom has been at all of them, and my mom went to one of them. My friend's mom is an anime fan, so I thought that I might get teased a bit because my mom is a bit of a stiff, but even then people were just cracking jokes to her about animes which she didn't understand, so don't worry about it. I'm sixteen and without a license, so I can't ever go to conventions alone, and it's really not that bad!

I think people on the internet make con folks look sort of judgemental and harsh, but they're really not. Out of the five cons I've been to, there's only ever been two or three people from all of them combined that were actually legitimately rude or teased me for something, so really, don't worry about it. Cons are great, no matter who you're with!
*Ryoga Hibiki - Ranma 1/2
*Soul Eater Evans - Soul Eater
*Antonio Salieri - Mozart L'Opera Rock
*Rapunzel - Tangled

~Upcoming costumes:
*Miss Martian - Young Justice - 70%
*Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece - 60%
*Kotetsu T. Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny - 40%
*Ryuk - Death Note - 30%
*Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender - 5%
TenTigerLilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

I'm sure plenty of people go wit there parents if they have noone else to do with. I actually go wit my mom specifically because I don't have any other friends to go with. Well mostly that, and the fact that she thinks some nut is gonna shoot up an anime convention now. Before it was just "oh I don't want you walking around there alone with all those perverted men". Anyway she means well xD
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Cellomanlove

My mom drove my friend and I to our first convention. We were only going for the last day, and it was a sort of birthday present for me at the time! We also brought my younger brother who was about 12 or so at the time. My mom mostly stayed with my brother and let my friend and I wander off. She also seemed to spend a ton of time hanging out around the autograph area and when she got bored of her puzzle books went and got autographs ^^;. She may not be into anime, but she didn't find the con at all strange. I wouldn't worry. Like a lot of people have said, make sure she brings something that she can do. Maybe, if she is interested, introduce her to one of your favorite animes and you two could use the con as a sort of bonding experience?
Cellomanlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

My dad is going to Ahn!Con with me next week. Actually, he's just staying in the hotel with me. I've been in some pre-con drama involving the staff and he's going to be there in case any issues arise.

One or both of my parents usually accompany me to every out-of-town con I go to. I don't feel comfortable traveling long distances by myself. The only exception to this was my first ACEN, where it was my older sister who came with me.

Tokyo in Tulsa: Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - fem!Haru Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - fem!France (Hetalia)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Count yourself lucky! Your mom cares enough about you and your interests to both ensure your safety and share the weekend with you. Con parents are the coolest!

My brother and I keep discussing getting our mom to come to a con with us, since she catches on to our enthusiasm for the events we go to. And we're in our 30s!

One of the few regrets I have in my life is that my dad lived just five minutes from Animazement and we never got the chance to invite him to share the con with us. (He died the week before Animazement last year.)

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:43 AM   #13
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

This depends....On how well you get along with your parents, and how open they are. My mom is just "alright...that's nice" with everything meaning she isn't really interested much. My dad? Well, for some reason talks with him scale from what do you want to do, all the way to Asian men sticking their penis in ovens/An FTM man who never told his wife he was female before. (I don't know much of the topic, just he said there was a person like that, and the lover didn't know til the guy died.) I'd hope your mom would be open to it, and interested or else it could end up being like what my fiancee's mom was like...with her mom staying in the hotel room, and yelling at everyone for small things.

I honestly wouldn't care if adults were their, just as long as they don't look miserable during the stay and can handle the "weird"-ness of the convention.
SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
Caroline-chan5

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I appreciate them! Glad to know I'm not the only one going with a parent! Heehee!
Caroline-chan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

lol the first time i slept at katsucon's hotel with my dad and sister, there was a party going on in the room across from us and there were guys in traditional japanese underwear in the hallway.( in the like 3rd or 4th floor or something.) it was freaky. i had gone from the rave to my room(1am) to find some 20something yr old guys in front of my door and the door across from my room's door was open and when he saw me he was like oh shit and another naked guy ran inside the room and the other dude was putting his shorts on and i was freaked out so i just went up to the door and started knocking like crazy like- open the door oh my god. cuz i didnt have the key. my dad had it and he was in there. my sis was somehow sleeping through the chaos. we called security many times but it took like an hour for things to chill. i highly doubt ur trip to a con is going to be as bad as mine was.
i think it was like- a yaoi party or something... (=.='')
frozen- elsa 0% thinking
asuka (neon genesis evangeleon) 20%
Miss Fortune (LoL)- 0% thinking
Annie (attack on titan) 80% procrastinating/making 3d gear
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!
CosplayJelly is offline   Reply With Quote