Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > InuYasha

Unread 12-31-2003, 02:22 PM   #1
Kouga
Wolf Youkai

Bankotsu (Inu yasha) cos help appeal

Hi,

Im looking to create a costume for Bankotsu from Inu Yasha however, I am new to making costumes. I particularly could use some hints and tips on how to make the style of armour he wears (The mid section atleast looks to be armour - similar to the mid section Kouga has).

If anyone can offer me any advice on this and also, creating the cos in general, I would be really greatfull.

Thanks,
Kouga.
Kouga is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-31-2003, 02:46 PM   #2
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

First of all, let me point you to Amethyst Angel's armor-making tutorial. The site seems to be down now, but when it isn't, it's a very good guide to making armor without using fiberglass. http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html

Second of all, you'll have more luck getting help if you post a picture of the character with a clear shot of the armor.

Third of all, if you possibly can, get screencaps that show Bankotsu from a lot of different angles. Especially try to get a full-body side or 3/4 view, as well as full-body views of the front and back, and detail views of any accessories he has or areas where there are complex patterns. While it IS possible to do a costume with only two or three reference pictures, the more pictures you have, the easier it will be for you to figure out what goes where and how things go together.
Unread 12-31-2003, 03:01 PM   #3
Kouga
Wolf Youkai

Ok, I only have one screen shot at the moment and its quite highly compressed due to lack of space on my uni server:

http://users.aber.ac.uk/cgg2/iybancom.jpeg

Sorry, I really should have posted that in the first place.

I will try to get some more screen caps and upload them.
Unread 12-31-2003, 08:08 PM   #4
Silver Minx
Mrs Yuki Eiri

^-^ This brings back old memories...
If you like, I can scan my patterns for you for the undergarments. It's quite simple, but you will need your measurements to be very exact. (Especially for the under arms).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Angel
With the mid-driff armour, Jane used foam (yes, you read correctly, foam.) and sheet metal and blasa wood. If the body armour was made from anything else, it would have probably been too heavy to wear and would not have held up properly. And instead of making the mid-riff cover her entire torso, she made it samurai-style and had a gap at the back, connected by tied material.

Use a thick and hard and not-too-malleable foam. Buy thin sheet metal. Cut them to the required size, identical to each other. If you want it to be fail proof, mayke your sheet metal half a centimetre larger on each side.

Spray the foam repeatadly with glaze sealant after giving it god-only-knows-how-many washes of pvc glue over it. This will harden it considerably, but the smoothness of it may cause a problem when hot-gluing sheet metal onto it.

Heat your sheet metal a little bit. Wear thick gloves while doing this. Gently and slowly, ease it into shape to fit around you.
... ... And then she managed to get the foam to stay in shape after it was glued to the metal. Then she did something else, (probably hot glue again) and managed to glue fabric to the foam on the inside and.

-_- If anything, you can PM me and I'll find out how to get my scans to you and I'll give you Julia's e-mail or something. She'll be able to tell you how to do it properly.

Well, after everything, spray paint your patterns onto the sheet metal. =) Cinch.!

"Don't drink drive. It's a dishwashing liquid."

Last edited by Silver Minx : 12-31-2003 at 08:10 PM.
Silver Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 08:31 PM   #5
gally2003
Call meh Kiki o:

do you need more screen caps?
i love shichinintia so i know a lot of sites with bankotsu
this one is a jakotsu site but it also has some pics of bankotsu:
http://www.keikoku.net/jakotsu/anime.html
bankotsu:
http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/shorty21/gallery2.html
http://bankotsu.bankotsu.net/anime.html

as for how to make the armor... ^_^; can't help ya much there cause i'm still experimenting with how to do it, but pleather might work, either that or what were planning on using for some armor i'm gonna do is this body casting stuff. i forgot the name of it but when i figure it out i'll tell ya
Nan Desu Kan Denver 2008
hide ENDLESS RAIN by day and Satochi GIRUGAMESH by night
gally2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2004, 07:03 AM   #6
Kouga
Wolf Youkai

Thank you for the advice both.

Silver minx - I have sent you a PM since I would really sike those scans along with the e-mail address - it would help me out alot .

gallery2003 - thank you for the links of to images, they will be usefull and saves me some time taking screen caps. There are some good ones that that show me the back section that you dont get much chance to see.
Unread 01-01-2004, 01:04 PM   #7
Kouga
Wolf Youkai

Ok, I made a paper version of the main body of the armour last night and its worked out quite well, However, the arm guards are now really causing me a problem. I have tried 4 different modles but couldnt get it to work out.
Unread 07-17-2004, 12:04 AM   #8
Wing_Goddess
• • Zetsuboushita!!! • •

Instead of making a new thread, i thought i would bring back a dead one...yay.

I'm another person who's in need of making a Bankotsu outfit. I already know how to make a large sword. For the other costume part...well, i have no clue where or how to begin. I'm a N00b incase i haven't shown it yet:P I really don't want to have something heavy for the armor because since i'll have the sword, that will be heavy enough for me:P

here's a pretty good front pic of Bankotsu as reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bankotsu no Aniki.jpg (34.8 KB, 0 views)

ANIME NORTH 2O11 • CNA 2O11
★ Hannah Anafeloz [Kuroshitsuji] ★
Wing_Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2004, 10:50 PM   #9
Sakumo-kun
Seme'd.

Hm... what con are you attending as Bankotsu? If it so happens to be Anime Evolution (unlikely, yes.... but one can still hope...^-^), be on the lookout. I'll be cosplaying Jakotsu.
Unread 07-18-2004, 12:41 AM   #10
Wing_Goddess
• • Zetsuboushita!!! • •

Where's Anime Evolution? and if it's anytime soon, then i won't be able to go as Banko cause i haven't even started my costume yet i was planning to wear my Banko outfit to Anime North and possible CN Anime in Toronto...aww, it would have been nice to have a Jakotsu though I'M SO LONELY!

Unread 07-18-2004, 02:13 PM   #11
Sakumo-kun
Seme'd.

*blink* Awwwwwww. I'm sorry! *huggles* O.O

^-^ Anime Evolution is in Burnaby--the SFU campus, on August 20-22. It's a pity you can't can't come. They have an awesome yaoi panel ready. ^^
Unread 07-18-2004, 06:33 PM   #12
Wing_Goddess
• • Zetsuboushita!!! • •

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakumo-kun
*blink* Awwwwwww. I'm sorry! *huggles* O.O

^-^ Anime Evolution is in Burnaby--the SFU campus, on August 20-22. It's a pity you can't can't come. They have an awesome yaoi panel ready. ^^
thanks for the hug, but did you HAVE to mention the yaoi panel *glares*!? oh well, i'll probably will be able to go next year to see this awsome panel. thanks for the offer anyway

Unread 07-18-2004, 09:58 PM   #13
Sakumo-kun
Seme'd.

O.O I'm sorry. I hadn't meant to upset you by mentioning the yaoi panel... ^^' ...don't glare at me! It's not MY fault you can't come! o_O' Is it? *ponders*

Yes... you should attend next year. AE can only get better! ^-^

I'm not normally this disgustingly perky, just to let you know. -__-
Unread 07-18-2004, 10:32 PM   #14
battosi98
battosi98

so who is this guy? ive never seen him before wat eps r he in?
Unread 07-19-2004, 09:53 AM   #15
Wing_Goddess
• • Zetsuboushita!!! • •

Quote:
Originally Posted by battosi98
so who is this guy? ive never seen him before wat eps r he in?
Bankotsu himself appears in episode 110 to about 123. He's in a group called the Shichinintai which begins at episode 103...Bankotsu takes some time to show up:P