Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #31
patriciarakel

I usually end up eating something, because the cons I go to are all near food. One of the main conventions I got to is attached to a mall with a fairly decent food court (which has some of the best pizza you've ever tasted!). My main problem is having enough money to eat. One of my last cons, I went with a friend and we stopped at a little bakery/convenient store on the way and I bought a loaf of fresh bread and packed it around in my con bag the whole weekend, eating off it if I got hungry and was out of food money for the day. It actually worked for most of my cosplays, since I did Katniss Everdeen from Hunger Games (bread's a big deal if you haven't read the books), Annabeth Chase from Percy Jackson (they always have to stash up during quests) and Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter (they're poor, so any food they get they pack around).
Astrid (How to Train Your Dragon)
Tinkerbell (Peter Pan)
Reviving This Year:
Annabeth Chase (Percy Jackson)
Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games)
patriciarakel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #32
Water Meru

I usually never eat, but when I do...it is like a quick sandwich.
Water Meru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #33
sugarpunch18
User is now Unknowable

I edited this thread with a question I've been meaning to ask. >.>
~LoveMeUniform!Kyoko Mogami (Skip Beat)
sugarpunch18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #34
Nekko
Future Companion

Im always the *Mother hen* of the group so I bring the food and make sure it's eaten. Also I sneak into my Trisha Elric cosplay stock my basket full of granola bars and apples and make sure I empty it before I change. So pretty much anyone who is hungry gets a apple and granola bar. I think I may add mini oranges to it this year.

I remember going like two cons with nothing but pocky and ramune back when I was a silly kid. so this is kinda my public service thing to make sure other people get something and it my make them remember to eat something substansial later.
Nekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #35
Talossa
We try hardcore!

The first con I went to, I was working as staff, and I don't think I ate or drank anything from 6 in the morning until 6 at night, when someone actually made me sit down and eat food.

After that I've gotten a lot better, although I still don't ever bring "real" (read: involving heat or cooking) food. XD My favorite things for a quick bit of energy are those sweet/salty granola bars with almonds in them.

As for your question on page one, I think it shakes/energy bars would be fine as long as you weren't replacing all your meals with them. They can be a good source of protein, which people don't get a lot of during con weekends (all that ramen!) and if it's a choice between that and not eating at all because you're so caught up in things, it can't hurt.
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #36
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

Wow, reading this makes me cringe. I admitt I either don't eat, or em a scavanger. Durning some years of ACEN they had free food which was awesome (but my first acen and first con I COMPLETELY forgot about food), but most of the time not healthy. Durning Yoai con I ditched out to seven eleven when I could (learned that was a bad idea via food poisening). Last year I went to Yaoi con I THOUGHT food was far off the way food made it sound. But since the room had a fridge I ordered some delivery food and lived off of that. For 2 expos I only at once; really no excuse. Last year and AM2 food was no question since I live right down the road. Tried to bribe my friends with fresh curry if they came but apperetnly food isn't bribe enough... Though I am pretty certian the convention center would kill me if I walked in with curry for all. XD Lately I usually keep snacks on hand and usually feed a growling stomach next to me in line.

I always carry Duct Tape, sewing kit, and now easy food in case I see a cosplayer in need.
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #37
tereshkova2001

I was so proud of myself last fall when I managed to pack enough food to keep me fed and fully functional, without having to go out to eat anything. A cooler with sandwich fixings, fruit, snacks, and some protein bars is a lifesaver. I hate taking up my time (especially in the morning) with restaurant meals, but I have to eat something to get me going in the morning.
I've found that Clif bars or Balance bars are not quite as good as a real meal, but they are much better than a handful of Ritz Bits.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #38
AJV
Grell Cosplayer

Well I guess that my Con Diet story is kinda horrible ^^;
Basically last year I went to my first big Con and I really didn't eat much the day I went.
First I skipped breakfast cus I was so excited and nervous and I usually don't eat when I'm like that. Then at the Con itself I didn't really want to eat but my friend wanted me to split a chicken sandwich with her and I mostly tried to eat the chicken out of it cus I didn't have an appetite but she knew I needed to eat. Other than that I had a soda or two.

I'm hopeful that my con diet will be a bit better this time around...

Cosplays I'm Working on:

Grell Sutcliff (Younger version) 85% Done
Grell Sutcliff 80% Done
Grell Sutcliff (Cheshire Cat) 75% Done
Ciel Phantomhive (Original Outfit) 50% Done
Rukia Kuchiki 5% Done (May not finish. Unsure atm)
AJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #39
Chirudesu
Flash Goddess Chiru

Hunger feelings make me extremely irritable, so when I'm hungry, I eat. I've honestly never forgotten to eat in my life (but have skipped meals - again, not cool for me,) and part of it is the food culture of my family of the 3 square meals a day thing. If I ever didn't eat, it was from lack of time or access to food or cuz I forced myself not to. *shrug*

Anyways, I always bring snacks in my bag because I'm way more active during conventions, and tons of water. I like to either bring money for food or make my own, preferably make my breakfast and lunch to save money and eat healthier, and buy dinner somewhere. Sakura Con has tons of restaurants nearby, and I like to have one meal out.

One time though, when I went to Sakura Con with someone else, we ate lunch at a pizza place in the convention center and we were super hungry/thirsty. It was our only meal of the day (which irritated me lol) but the pizza was dry and left you guessing where the sauce and cheese were. The next day my stomach hurt a little and I was dehydrated like woah! Lesson forever learned. water + real food = not hungry and sick.

私の世界 夢と恋と不安で出来てる。。。
Chirudesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #40
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

I never eat a lot at conventions. I already have problems normally remembering to eat, so all of the commotion at cons just makes me even more forgetful. I usually only remember to eat something right before I leave my room in the morning and when I get back at night. This is something I'm going to have to work on, though, since my blood sugar crashes a lot due to my forgetting, and that's not safe. D:

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #41
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Doped coke all over my white cosplay twenty minutes into the con...it never came out. This was 6-7 years ago and it still haunts me.
Unread 03-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #42
Somsai
Guyver 01

I'm a health freak so I ALWAYS be sure to eat.
If not I get very grumpy and moody. >;(
But there are times when I have so much fun that
I do forget to eat sometimes.
Majority of the times I'm sipping from the water fountain.
But there was this one time I was strict with money on
my first con so I didn't eat the whole day besides breakfast.
Man was I hungry... ;(

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #43
sierria
cosplay noob

lol I have never skipped a meal when I'm out...I only ever do that when I'm lazing about at home. I figure it's cus when I'm at home I don't really move around or use energy...but going to a con means a lot of walking around...usually I'm the first one to get hungry in the group and force everyone else to come eat with me xD
Ja'far [Magi]
Anna [K]
Bandou [K]
sierria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #44
-Alicè-
-Lost in my own world-

I've had an unhealthy relationship with food for years now, we just don't get along. I frequently skip meals and can go more then a day without eating. Con's change my diet very little, if anything, I find myself eating a little more frequently. I'm around friends 24/7 and they all want to eat. Even if I myself don't order anything they'll shove something down my throat.

On the subject of the meal shakes though, the ones that come in the powder form can be a bit of a headache. When I was younger, they were my mom's attempt at getting me to eat breakfast. They taste alright, and certainly fill you up, but because you have to mix it with milk then shake it up makes it less then convenient for con life. The ones that come in a bottle, pre-made might be better, but I found they tasted like death.

The Little Mermaid - Ariel (95% Finished)
My Little Pony - Rarity (85% Finished)
Blindsprings - Tammy (10% Finished)

Do you have a tumblr? I follow back!
http://musesofspace.tumblr.com/
-Alicè- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #45
Akune-chan

I usually get nauseous the day of a convention [damn nerves].

This usually makes me have an extremely light breakfast and then I hardly eat for the whole day. I remember one time I tried drinking a strawberry smooth since I was about to pass out and instead, I was barely able to get even 1/4's down and my appetite was cut for the rest of the day causing me to feel even worse.

Its just me though.

Now I just hope I am able to survive a 3-day con if I get it like this for only a one...