Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 02-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #91
Ashton_Anchors
Queen of the abyss

I didn't eat anything but cheese and meat from sampler trays, and drink pop one year for the entire first day of Anime Central one year. It was a miracle that I never felt faint. And it's not because I forgot to eat, either. I didn't want to pay the price for con food (and shouldn't have had to--I was with my library's anime club, and they said food was supposed to be provided), and couldn't leave to go to McDonald's without my group. And THEY didn't want to because THEY got to eat pizza back in the room. >_<;. I was supposed to have gotten some too, but they ate ALL of it while I was gone for about 20 minutes at karaoke. And I had left right when they ordered it, so it should have still been there. D:.
I didn't get to eat breakfast, either. I only got to eat when my brother finally came on Saturday. At this point, I broke down, and even got large fries at McDonald's with my meal. And it was a good thing, too. For SOME reason, my group didn't eat dinner. >_<;. And didn't have breakfast. So that meal had to last until late Sunday afternoon.
And that was the last time I EVER went with my library's anime club, and when my mom started just paying for the room and food. I'm amazed she never complained to the sponsor about it. .__.;.

Unread 02-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #92
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I actually do have a horror story for this now that I think about it. MangaNext 2012. I only went on Saturday. I don't have much for breakfast and I go to the con. While I was there, I had a little bit to eat for lunch and I gave the poptarts I brought with me to my sister and didn't eat anything else. Well, I wasn't smart enough to eat anything when I got home that night. The next morning after I had breakfast I got really sick because my stomach couldn't handle the sudden intake of food. >_>

Last time I do something like that. If I ever go to a con where I commute, I always eat a large meal when I get home in order to prevent this from happening again.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #93
dothebravething
takeonecurtaincall

Oh man, I always forget to eat at cons. Usually I have snacks with me in a bag, because even though I buy a pass to the con, I generally find myself not going inside often, so I can bring a larger bag with me than I would had I planned to spend a lot of time indoors. Anyways, I don't actually eat, despite that. It's not so much that I forget that I have the snacks with me, as much as it is that I see the snacks when I'm going to get my makeup bag out or a water bottle, and I go, "Oh yeah, I should go get myself lunch from Timmies or something," (Canada. There's a Tim Hortons everywhere.) But I digress. Usually it's fine, despite that, since I have a few friends with me who prod me when it's getting too far past when I should have eaten, so it's not like I completely skip out on food.

Until last year. Anime North, three day con. I was being Homestuck - shudders, don't hold that against me - and I'd been really busy all day Friday, so I had a frozen raspberry lemonade and that was it that day. But that was the shortest day for me, since I commute to the con, rather than stay in a hotel, and I had school (not that I attended the afternoon). So it wasn't a big deal. Well, it wouldn't have been if I'd actually eaten at all on the Thursday before the con, but I was too busy setting my stuff up and frantically finishing up some things on my cosplays. (So that's two days in a row that I hadn't eaten.)

Saturday rolls along and - there's something that I need to clear up. I'm prone to panic attacks, moreso when I was younger, but I still get them under duress - I came to the con early, because both my friend and I were doing full body makeup and we were doing it at her hotel room so I didn't have to take the subway with blue skin. I was doing a lot of walking, too, as her hotel was within walking distance, but pretty far from the con nonetheless, and throughout the day, I was going back and forth between the con and her room. Then I went to a public photoshoot at 2pm - still hadn't eaten yet - and I was having a bit of heatstroke as well as dehydration, so I just needed to sit down. So I did that, by where my friends were, and then something happened in the shoot that was apparently shipper-friendly and every single person in the photoshoot started screaming. Remember how I said that I get panic attacks? Because it had been three days since I'd really eaten anything, I was hot and dehydrated, I got one of them, and I had to leave the group, and I didn't go back to that photoshoot.

Sunday was particularly uneventful, and since it was the last day of the con, I was just doing a bit of walking around with a few friends and while I didn't necessarily feel hungry, my friend and I went for dinner, since we were bored and waiting for my dad to pick us up. Fortunately, the crowds were thinned out, and it wasn't as hot, so I didn't get a repeat of the day before, but gods know if my friend hadn't suggested getting Harvey's, I never would have eaten anything that day either.

TL;DR, I don't eat and then I regret it
dothebravething is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #94
emmisu
King of Toast

I did these things before I started working Artist Alley, but I've found it's even easier now.

I go to cons with a group of people (my sister, bro in law, our group of friends)
since I have artist alley now I bring a cooler, but before I just brought everytihng in a small backpack.

I always bring at least 2 waterbottles and a PB&J sandwich. Usually I end up eating the sandwich while I wait for the dealer's room to open or while my sister looks around.

The best advice I have for remembering to eat is to bring a sandwich and a water with you every day. Even if you lose you're wallet or forget to eat or there's a long line- you'll have something with you that isn't really perishable and can keep you going for a bit.
The jelly has quick burning sugar and the PB has slow-burning protein it's really the most solid and cheap way to go.

Alternatively, pack some hummus and chips or cheese and crackers. Any small thing can keep you going. I don't really recommend bars cause they never fill me up and are full of excessive sugars. But if that's what you like, go for it.

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #95
Full Gloom
I see you~

Luckily the cons I have attended offer free rice, ramen, and soda.
However three days straight of rice, ramen, and soda isn't really the best. Me, being a huge health buff, usually don't eat such things so after not having any water for the entire day and just mountain dew I was super cranky and crashing rapidly.
I fell asleep on a potted plant on a random floor me and my friends went up to. XD
ARCHANGEL ~ Baroque
Full Gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #96
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

That's actually a good one.

I'm pretty big into food so I have always known to make sure to bring lots of food. But gotta be careful cause the same thing over and over gets boring.
Kaito Yashio - Robotics; Notes (Otakon 2014, re-vamp)
Colonel Armstrong - FMA: Brotherhood (Eventually)
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Hody - One Piece (Eventually)
Kaito Yashio - Robotics; Notes (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #97
Throatriptron
Tsundere

A couple years ago the only food I brought to con was what I could shove in my purse....so I brought some protein bars and a couple energy drinks. That was a fun weekend....

This last con I went to my fiancÚ and I just ate cup ramen and star crunch cookies all weekend because we didn't want to buy food. It was....deliciously unhealthy, lol.
Throatriptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #98
Boreotheria
n00b

The cons where I go as a panelist have a green room for panelists and guests and volunteers. We can go in there anytime and grab a snack. It's not meal-sized stuff but it'll be something like mini sandwiches, bagels and jam, veggies and dip, etc. So if I have no time between commitments and need a blood sugar boost I've got it.

Otherwise I make time for food. I'm not diabetic or even pre-diabetic, according to my blood tests, but nevertheless I do get woozy and cranky if I miss a meal. :P I'll scan ahead on my schedule and see when I have half an hour or an hour free, or at the very worst when is the event that I will regret missing the least. And I'm enough of a foodie that I'll scope out restaurants near the hotel before I even get there.

Most recent find: the Phoenix restaurant next to the Ad Astra hotel. It's a five minute walk across two parking lots and past an ATM, and it has awesome, fast and cheap Hong Kong Chinese food. :9
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #99
Zalgo

Well, considering I still had my horrible diet last year when I went to AX (eat about 2 to 3 things all day which would probably equal only a few hundred calories for the day) it was pretty bad. My plan this year is to lower my calories for that week since I wont be doing major excessive but do my best to keep up.
Zalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #100
MehiraDeOro

My very first convention was Youmacon 2010, that I had decided on a whim that I would go.

I stayed in my friend's hotel room and had to pay about $125 of it since it was only the 2 of us (lots of people backed out at the last moment). So that cut into my food money, so I only ate 2 "meals" per day, but there was about a 12 hour difference between them all.

By Sunday morning I woke at 7am from a deep sleep from my stomach constantly and heavily growling. My friend and I went down to the food court and the only place that was open was Burger King, which I don't mind, but I hate any kind of hash-browns. However it was cheaper to get the meal with no substitutes for the hash-browns. I made myself eat them anyways because I needed the sustenance, especially since I wouldn't eat until I got home.

So I'm eating my meal, and the hash-brown-tater-tot things which were surprisingly delicious! They were so good, why hadn't I liked them before? But as my body started to register that had eaten enough they started tasting a little weird. By the end of the meal they were disgusting again. lol

Anyways, now I never go to a convention without some sort of snack, usually granola bars, apples and/or bananas, and small bags of chips or popcorn, etc.

Last edited by MehiraDeOro : 05-22-2013 at 02:57 PM.
MehiraDeOro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #101
wahsohkwiios

My group and I will usually google the restaurants in the area the night before the con and decide on meet-up places/times at the restaurants we want to try. This way we get to go our own ways for a couple hours and nobody forgets to eat. Also if we really like one place we'll usually agree to just go there for the rest of the weekends

Example: We went to Anime North last year and agreed to go to Sushi Dragon for lunch, then Milestone's for dinner and we LOVED Milestones! It was a little bit pricier than what we were used to but we all agreed to sacrifice some anime swag to eat their burgers all weekend. Yes, they were that good!
wahsohkwiios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #102
tophatsnfrills

Okay, fun fun. Katsucon 2013.

I had 2 coffees on friday, a large iced coffee on saturday morning at 8am and a yogurt at about 8 pm. then just a coffee on sunday. and no water. boo... i shudder now and make sure to eat something a bit more now at cons.
tophatsnfrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #103
tophatsnfrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsohkwiios View Post
My group and I will usually google the restaurants in the area the night before the con and decide on meet-up places/times at the restaurants we want to try. This way we get to go our own ways for a couple hours and nobody forgets to eat. Also if we really like one place we'll usually agree to just go there for the rest of the weekends

Example: We went to Anime North last year and agreed to go to Sushi Dragon for lunch, then Milestone's for dinner and we LOVED Milestones! It was a little bit pricier than what we were used to but we all agreed to sacrifice some anime swag to eat their burgers all weekend. Yes, they were that good!
this is what my brothers and i do at our local con. this year we ended up doing subway for every meal because all the other resaurants were so packed. my brother was nice though and brought me a lovely smoothie and salad when i couldn't meet them for lunch because I had a photoshoot. it was lovely.
tophatsnfrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #104
Khorrupt

"Con diet." I don't know why I didn't expect other people to call it that subconsciously, but I think it's become rather universal, haha.

"The con diet" for me usually means a hell of a lot of carrots and MAYBE one good meal at the end of the day -- provided there's no panels or anything in a two-hour window so that my friends and I have time to go out and eat. Granted, we're not above skipping out to a restaurant in our costumes to grab some dinner and then heading back to the con, but we can rarely find time to do so. Usually, we make sure to eat really well before the con...that way our digestive systems can cope with irregular, miniscule food intake for the weekend. We try, but well...conventions, man.

I thought it was absurd when people mentioned "forgetting" to eat, but uh, makes more than perfect sense to me now!

But the friend that I typically go to cons with has a huge appetite, so we usually at least manage to scrape up that last meal at the end of the day because she refuses to live off of lukewarm carrots and stale bagels like I generally do when we're scrimping for time between getting into costume in the morning, making the first panel, and then diligently arranging our schedule of panels and seeing if there's a nice long open window for real food.

(There rarely is.)

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~kigurumi!Silkie (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Elizabethan!TARDIS - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier - 15% complete
~Princess Peach - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #105
foxy
Professional Catgirl :)

When I was at Otakon back in 2005, there was a cautionary warning about how the A/C worked in the main convention center, to make absolutely sure you drunk lots of water during the day or there was a chance of dehydration.
Suffice to say, a day of walking around cosplaying and not paying attention to this warning led to me feeling really awful in the evening!

I've also had the dubious pleasure of doing an artists alley space for a day when all I had time for in the morning was a cup of coffee, then a mad rush with folders and bags to get my alley space (it was one where you signed up each morning to get a space).. then all I ate all during sales was a bag of Doritos. This doesn't make for a happy vendor
foxy is offline   Reply With Quote