Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

cloud strife soldier belt?

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/450904/
sorry to take a photo from another cosplayer but its litterally the only one i can find that looks right..i need to make this..i wanted to make the majority of it out of vinyl..so that covers the basic design..but the harder details, such as the front design and the parts that look like piping along the top and bottom of the belt itself..and ideas for that? id need it to stay on as good as possible, would it be easyer to just use a silver vinyl and cut the design out? or sculp it maybe (that may be too hard for me, i suck at that lol) or is there another better way? any ideas and advice i thank you for in advanced.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
Amanita

That just looks like tooled leather. Using a thick piece of leather and the right tools, it's easy to get the raised/recessed look you want.
Books like these describe basic tooling, which produces the raised and recessed look:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e.../61891-01.aspx
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e...s/6009-00.aspx

These ones explain basic leathercraft in general:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e.../61904-00.aspx

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e.../61960-00.aspx

And here's one teaching how to take what you've learned so far and make a functional belt:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e...s/6039-00.aspx

^It contains instructions for lots of styles of belt- while there aren't patterns for the specific one you want, you should be able to use what it teaches to make the belt you desire. For a wide belt like that, I would suggest 9-10 oz leather for the wide part, with perhaps 4-5 oz for the straps.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

well..i dont really have te money to spend on al those books..is there like an online book where i dont have to spend even more money then i aready have to on the product itself? also, id like to not use real leather. nowhere near enough money for that..really the main point i was trying to ask, was how to make the detail on a vinyl base. the brown parts will all be vinyl ecxcelt the straps, i have peather belts that will work perfectly for those..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 01-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Amanita

Actually, you can purchase e-versions of many of those books in PDF form, at www.leathercraftlibrary.com, for less money. I'm sure there's also tutorials online explaining the basics.
And depending on how slim you are, you might be able to get the belt out of a single shoulder of leather, which tandy puts on sale on a regular basis.
Leathercraft may cost a bit to get started in, getting some basic tools and finishes. But if you can see yourself doing different costumes down the road involving bandoliers, belts, holsters, and other leather bits, it just might be worth looking into.

Making the detail on a vinyl base would involve using another layer of vinyl for the raised edges, likewise the fancy design in the center. You could cut it out of thick silver colored vinyl, and glue it on over your base. And to keep a wide belt like that stiff, some sort of backing is a good idea- a single thickness of upholstery vinyl won't hold up by itself. That's why I was initially suggesting leather- if it's thick enough, it holds its shape quite well on its own.
Unread 01-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

o yea also, i completely forgot about the armor and bracelet thing....whatever thats called..ive looked for tuts on those but to no avail..of course lol
anyway i have a good idea on how to make the arm thing..but i dont know how id get it on and off..any idea there? im thinking cardboard and maybe paper mache but i dont know after that..id like to use these skills of armor making in the future so i want to do this myself, but im lost..would i be able to use model magic over cardboard and mache? also how would i get that rounded shape for the shoulder armor using cardboard, if i can at all..if not whats reccommended thats not costly?
also thank you ill look for leather working tuts too they will help a lot
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 01-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
Amanita

For making the shoulder armor, you want to find something you can mould your armor piece over, something rounded. If you can find a piece of plumbing pipe- one of those curved elbow pieces made of plastic that's about the size of your shoulder, that is one idea. You could build a paper mache shoulderpiece over that, then finish as you wish.
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

yea i thought of that method, plus if i only use it as a base to make the shape, i can use it again to make other armor..but if i make it that way, is there a way to do it where i can take the piece OFF of the curved pipe shoulder?
like do i use something to shape into the shape THEM paper mache? or are you saying to actually mache the shoulder thing?

im very sorry for all the dumb questions that more then likely have a very easy answer, but i guess if i wanna start doing this on my own i gotta ask the people that know huh
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 01-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Amanita

Personally I don't have a lot of experience working with paper mache, but I'm guessing you should be able to remove the piece from your base model with no problems, as long as you take your time and are careful- gently work something under the mache layer to help lift it off its base. I would try a test run where you just form the base shape over whatever you use as a form, and then try to lift it off once it's dry, just to be sure it's going to work, before you do your final, more neatly sculpted version. Also, I'm sure you can find tutorials for cloud's shoulder armor online- a lot of other cosplayers have done this outfit, and I'm sure some of them have described the process.
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

alrighty ill give it a whirl on another plastic thing that may get thrown out just to test..then if it works, it should still do the same thing i hope lol
also ive looked and the only one i can seem to find is the wonderflex one on the adcent children shoulder pad thing..so since its a material i cant really afford right now, i cant use that one
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Sorry to revive my old thread, but since I started the thread anyway, I don't think it's that big a deal..Anyway, I finally got around to doing this belt..

My idea (since I can't afford real leather) is to use vinyl. There's specific vinyl I want to use that's thick like leather but not thick enough to make a belt that stays it's shape very well. My idea is to use duck cloth (or whatever that is, it's almost like denim) and glue it to the back of the vinyl. This meathod wotks well with craft foam and some stiff fabric to make it MORE stiff and I figure it'll work the same, but I would like comfermation by anyone that has any idea about it (or suggestions on what to use instead). mI also plan to do the belting closure at the back of it like the reference.

Then me and my mom were trying to think of what to use for the silver parts (center design and edging). Any ideas? I was thinking craft foam, but Idk how well that will adhear to the vinyl surface..

Thank you
BTW the reference is in the first post, sorry.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Ok, so, I don't know if anyone even read y last post since no one replied, but I finished the basic cutouts of everything. I still need help on what to use to make it really stiff.
I used vinyl, but the thin stuff. I can't for the life of me find it on the Joann site but it's in with the vinyls on the rolls and is 21.99/yrd. Anyway, It's too thin to really stay up that well. Any ideas?

Here's a picture of it do far:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3355871/
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 02-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
verdatum
Extremely registered user

milliner's buckram should work. I can't recall if Joannes sells it or not. If not, there's also a product called interfacing that comes in a variety of fabric weights. But I'm not sure if any of them will be heavy enough to get the piece to behave like you want.

Your idea of adhering duck-cloth to the back isn't bad. Just keep in mind that duck cloth frays like madness, so you might want to hem the edge first, and then trim the excess with pinking sheers. Then glue it to the vinyl with the folded sides facing the vinyl.

Spray-glue is probably best for this. Use the stuff outside, the fumes are nasty and the overspray is messy. When you glue it up, do so with the pieces curved in roughly the shape that it will be worn. If you glue it flat then you'll put stress on the adhesive bond when you wrap it around you.

If it's still not thick enough, you might want to try another layer of vinyl on the inside, so the good side of the vinyl faces out. Don't bother with only 2 layers of vinyl with nothing in-between though. That almost certainly won't be rigid enough.

Another possible aid might be to apply spray-starch on the duck-cloth after is has been fused to the vinyl. I know it used to be used all the time to stiff shirt collars. I've never actually played with the stuff though, so I make no promises as to how well it performs or holds up.

There's no problem adhering craft foam onto vinyl, and I think that'd probably be a pretty good way to go. I'd recommend contact cement or rubber cement. layout the craft foam on the belt as desired, then trace the outline with a pencil. then lift up the pieces and brush adhesive inside the pencil outline and to the back of the craft foam. Be gentle when brushing the vinyl, the solvents in the cement will slightly soften the vinyl for a little while. When both surfaces have dried, press them together. If doing that outer border in craft foam, again, you'll want to have the belt curved into a loop as you press them together. Once together, lay the belt on a rounded surface and whack the whole surface with a wood or rubber mallet (or whatever nonmetal makeshift bludgeon you have handy).

You'll notice that inside layers will be a couple millimeters shorter than the next layer out. This is the same way in that inner tree-rings have a smaller circumference than outer tree-rings. So when doing your measuring and cutting for your layers, you'll again, want to do so with the thing curved around.
Unread 02-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Thanks you for all that. That gives me a few good ideas. I have one and I'd like to know if this is even how you do it..

My dad mentioned interfacing to me and I thought, well it comes in really stiff thicknesses but I wasn't sure how to apply it..I heard ironing it is how to get it on, but I'm not sure how that works with vinyl backing..This was my idea: From front to back, layer vinyl interfacing, then duck cloth. But to sew the edges. The esges are going to be covered anyway so any seems will be covered up in the end result. But i wasn't sire how this would work for the middle of the entire thing since if it's not stuck to it..Any thoughts on this?
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Sewing vinyl can sometimes be a little difficult. It does a couple of annoying things like stick to your sewing machine, so the foot doesn't advance it. So I would try to avoid sewing unless it's critical.

I have no clue if you could iron fusible interfacing to vinyl or not. It might be that you can, but it's tricky to avoid melting the vinyl. If you intend to try, you should definitely first do a test with a scrap of your vinyl. It could be that you can fuse the duck cloth to the vinyl by way of the interfacing. I haven't used the stuff in awhile, so I'm a bit flaky on exactly how it behaves.

What you could do is fuse the interfacing to the duck fabric with an iron, and then spray-glue that to the vinyl, with the interfacing side facing the back of the vinyl. One benefit would be that the interfacing would prevent the duck fabric from fraying, so you could skip the hemming step, and even trim the fabric+interfacing down to size after you adhere it to the vinyl, saving you the trouble of measuring. You might still want to treat the edge of the duck fabric with fray-check for extra insurance.
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh I'm hand sewing it..It's a much thinner vinyl then the normal stuff to for some reason, so sewing abut 2 layers of this vinyl is the same as sewing one layer of the normal upholstery stuff..

I do like that idea in the last part there about gluing. Are you 100% sure the glue will attach to both the interfacing AND the vinyl back? Also, the back isn't vinyl..The front is, but the back is white and kinda wqeird..If you look at my last picture where I'm wearing it, you can see the backing on the straps. It's the white part (I'm going to cover these but yea..)
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now: