Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 01-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
firecloak

Ikkicon Photoshoot Critique

I got a new DSLR, and I was testing it at Ikkicon. Can you give me any tips/critique/comments?

Full Chobits photoshoot on Flickr

Full Victini Pokemon shoot on Flickr

Full Death Master shoot on Flickr

Last edited by firecloak : 01-23-2012 at 01:08 AM.
firecloak is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
ferocity
LWLLJB

i like these photos a lot. nothing with the camera, i'm not sure if you did this in all your pictures, but maybe taking shots from different, not such dynamic angles. also try playing with the ISO you can get a bunch of different outcomes with picture quality and mood. if that makes any sense c: try adjusting the white balance too!
hope this helps!! c:
ferocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

#1. I like the low angle, the background, the soft lighting, and the pose, including the sad face expression. The background might not be right for the character, but it contributes to a nice composition. The Dutch Tilt is too much for my eyes. It makes my head need to tilt to look at it. It helped to show more of the wig, but a more subtle tilt might have been fine. It seems unnatural the way the hair is fanned out, appearing like someone is holding it with their hands just out of frame. A little twirl action from the cosplayer would make the hair fan out in a more natural way.

#2. I like the action of what seems like a secret about to be told, based on the hand near her lips. I would recommend playing the faces more to the camera so we can see the secret teller better and still convey the story. I would like to see more of the black dressed cosplayer's dress, by framing a little wider. Pulling the pink dress over the knee would keep the eyes at their faces and give you more pleasing framing options.

#3. The pose is very cute, and the angle on her arms and legs works well, as they all look long without the foreshortening effect. The lighting, again is very soft and flattering portrait lighting. The location seems out of place and some elements are distracting, like the light fixture seeming to hold up her right arm. The Dutch Tilt again, takes away from the composition, but I still advocate trying such tilts. Sometimes they can add an improved effect. I certainly use them, but I try to avoid too much tilt and avoid to show horizon lines.

#4. The low angle works very well for a sinister looking character like this, and it accentuates her weapon very well. Her pose could be more interesting if her right hand was placed away from her dark hair, since it gets lost in there. Then her claws would be more obvious and dramatic. I don't know the character, but the location seems of a different time and tone. A more drab location with less colors would work better, or try an area where plants might seem like a jungle, etc. If you can't find a good location, try a dark background like picture #2, but be careful that the black costume does not get lost in the darkness. The Dutch Tilt could work very well with this type of character, to create a feeling of imbalance or something menacing, but the showing the vanishing points at the base of the building makes it seem like she is defying gravity by standing on a "hill". Don't give up on using tilts. Just try to look at other photos where you like the effect, and learn how to apply that to your own style.

Last edited by brucer007 : 03-04-2012 at 06:57 AM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
firecloak

Thank you! I'll keep those in mind the next time I shoot, and I'll try not to overuse the dutch tilt too much
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Missi

great pics

I really like your compositions and that you pay attention to your backgrounds and light sources, keep up the good work.
Missi is offline   Reply With Quote