Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Kibalover100
Super Kiba!

Aayla Secura Brain Tails

So I was going to go to the Star Wars Episode I 3D movie as Aayla Secura. Well, I was wondering how you make her "Brain Tails" (The tendrils from her head). I have no idea how to make them and I want them to look realistic. If any of you have any cheap, but good ideas I'd love to hear them!

Picture:
Kibalover100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Sammie

I looked around on Google and found this.
link
The way she made them came out nice. I haven't tried making them yet.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
jdp898989

I don't know if this would work, but here's my idea:
Take some pantyhose and fill it with fiberfill. shape it into the right "tail" pattern.
Cover that with the model maker liquid latex, or pure latex if you want.
After that, it should be really flesh-like. You'll want to coat it in baby powder so it doesn't stick to itself, and maybe paint it?

Again, I have no idea if it'd work, but I think it will, as long as the liquid latex will coat the pantyhose fine.
jdp898989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Lt.Finn
Cupcake Lord

They're called "lekku." You might have better luck if you Google them by their proper names. Google is finicky like that.

The link Sammie posted is good, but they don't really come out looking super realistic. They move nicely, but since they're made of fabric, you're never going to get them to look like flesh.

If you really want to go all out, here's how one chick made hers. It's not really a tutorial... more of a "how I did this plus some pictures," but if you're crafty, you shouldn't have a problem with it.
If you're willing to pay for it, I think she'll make one for you. I couldn't find a link for it, but if you just send her an e-mail and ask... it's probably not cheap though, but everyone's idea of "cheap" is different so...

Anyway, good luck with the cosplay! I hope you can find a method that works for you!
Lt.Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Actually I think it's incredibly cheap considering what she's doing. I asked her for a quote a few weeks ago. It's $99 USD for the Lekku themselves. An additional $15 USD if you get her to stuff and seal them for you. $30 to have her also remove the seams and such.

All things considered, it's a steal!

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Kibalover100
Super Kiba!

Thank you everyone! I'll take a look at the links and everything! =)
Kibalover100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
AlanaOwlet

I made mine using pantyhose but no latex. Essentially I just cut them to the right length and shape, then sewed them together. I used upholstery foam in the tips since it was easier to cut into a point but then filled the rest with stuffing. To color them I used Tulip brand fabric spray paint, which I really recommend for two reasons; it went on very easily and evenly, and it matched perfectly with the Ben Nye face paint I ended up using. I can dig it out and see specifically which one it was if you need me to. The end result obviously didn't look as professional and perfect as latex would have but they were still pretty good and cost about $10 total to make and I got it done in a single day so that's a plus.
AlanaOwlet is offline   Reply With Quote