Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Katsucon

Unread 01-03-2004, 02:13 AM   #1
Cyn
You bleed from my words

New Cosplay Prop Policy.

A mod may want to sticky this. This e-mail is from head of the security staff at Katsucon detailing the new prop and weapon policy for Katsucon that has yet to be updated on the website.

Dear <My name here, editted out>,

Thank you for your email. No special permission is required for any prop. The problem is that a few of the prop weapons policies have been changed for this convention, however the website has not yet been updated in this area. Costume swords, staves & similar weapons will be permitted at Katsucon 10, however they still cannot be made of metal, but woods stronger than balsa are acceptable (they may be painted, foil covered, or have other methods used to make them look real as long as the security staff can still determine that it is not). All weapons must be checked in at Security Central (the Tidewater Room) to be peace tied & recorded (a copy of this email is not necessary). The primary restrictions are no metal blades (metal hilts are ok), no sharp points or edges, & no guns of any kind. I know the "no guns" policy may seem annoying, but this is due to the Virginia State Silhouette law. Basically this law means that a police officer who sees anyone with an object which has a gun silhouette (or shape) is legally permitted to shoot that person.

Also remember the rules are different if you intend to enter the cosplay (http://www.katsucon.org/Katsu10/cosplay.php) then you may have more realistic weapons (including prop guns), with some restrictions. You may only have it with you on your way to & from the cosplay, and you may only have it out while you are on stage. The prop must be taken back to your room immediately afterwards.

I hope that answers your question, and if you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to contact me again. Also you may speak to me directly at the convention if you wish, just come to Security Central & ask for me.

- Rafe Gegenheimer
Chief of Security
Katsucon Entertainment Inc.

I hope this e-mail helps take away some of the fears in the other thread about cosplay props and weapons.

Unread 01-03-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
otakutre
Cake 'n' Cosplay

Hey, thanks for the heads-up. I have a friend with a prop sword made of foam core and duct tape... that sounds okay. But I'm a little worried about this "no guns" rule and law. Hopefully the fact that my Ulala gun look slike a bubble gun that is shiny and bright blue will allow me to keep it. I'd hate to have to ditch such a beautiful commissioned prop from PikminLink. ;_;
Unread 01-03-2004, 10:34 PM   #3
Cyn
You bleed from my words

It makes me happy too ^_^ Now I'll have an Oblivion...If it'll be done by then. o.o
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:52 PM   #4
trigunvash
Zombie eliminator

I suggest anyone planning to make a prop sword following those guidlines print that email out, so if anyone questions you about it, you'll have a backup reference.
trigunvash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2004, 12:29 AM   #5
Aer
rawr

I emailed them about my props also.

Including my Tetsusaiga, which is 5 feet in length, made out of a cardboard/masking tape base, then papier mache'd. They replied saying that should be fine, just bring it to security for inspection after I get my badge.

I will be printing the email out incase I find I need it.
Aer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2004, 04:05 AM   #6
lunasreincarnat
hallelujah, lock and load

im glad they are being less strict with weapons... still means no battle axe at katsu for me ... i emailed them about my prop ( somewhat harmless) and they said it was ok... i still dont want it peace bonded... it ruins photos -.-
Violet Addams (egl steampunk), Lucy (I Love Lucy), Misa (Deathnote), Beatrix(FF9), Konata (Lucky Star), Alice(DDR5th mix), Fruits EGL
lunasreincarnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2004, 09:04 AM   #7
Cyn
You bleed from my words

Then maybe someone can tell me...What exactly is Peace Bonded?
Unread 01-04-2004, 09:11 AM   #8
RX 03
Doubleyuu tee eff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn
I don't know about Katsu, but at AX/Otakon, they put a strap or something of the like around the main part (ie, when it was my keblade, they but it right where it connected to the handle)

Next Convention: Anime Expo
RX 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2004, 04:53 PM   #9
CHAOS
Computer Geek

wow, more easy yet more harsh on the policy. I am ok according to the rules cause I don't require a sword or gun.
Unread 01-04-2004, 09:41 PM   #10
lunasreincarnat
hallelujah, lock and load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn
they take a strip of like pink plastic stuff and just tie it to a part of the prop so the staffers can see its been checked.

they are letting weapons made of stuff other then blasa wood! they are starting to be kinda cool with the rules ^.^
Violet Addams (egl steampunk), Lucy (I Love Lucy), Misa (Deathnote), Beatrix(FF9), Konata (Lucky Star), Alice(DDR5th mix), Fruits EGL
lunasreincarnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2004, 10:44 PM   #11
kerochan
Poot de bolume up!

Thank goodness the prop policy has been modified. So I gues that means that I can bring my staff with me!
Unread 01-05-2004, 02:30 AM   #12
ThatYaoiBoy
Sewing Impaired

Last year they just put a string on my sword.
Teddy - Persona 4 - 10% complete
Astro/Atom - Astro Boy - 5% complete
Captain Jack - Torchwood - 80% complete

Up Coming Conventions
SacCon
SacAnime
San Diego Comic Con
Wondercon
Anime Expo
Fanime
ThatYaoiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2004, 02:22 PM   #13
Neko Cathy

<<I know the "no guns" policy may seem annoying, but this is due to the Virginia State Silhouette law. Basically this law means that a police officer who sees anyone with an object which has a gun silhouette (or shape) is legally permitted to shoot that person.>>
... does this also mean I can't make my fingers into a gun shape
Neko Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 03:55 PM   #14
trigunvash
Zombie eliminator

Its katsucon's interpretation of the law.

Its meant to be, if some criminal is using something that looks like a gun and points it at people or police that the police can shoot him.

However in my research, I have found nothing on the Virginia State Police website, or the Code of Virginia (laws), nor any Arlington County regulations. If someone can point me out to more information on the Silhouette law, that would be helpful.

Last edited by trigunvash : 01-06-2004 at 04:21 PM.
trigunvash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 04:42 PM   #15
rainbowflavored
rainbows taste yummy

what about a flail? i'm going as go-go yubari, and my flail/mace is made of a wooden ball painted silver but the chain attached to it is made of metal... is that appropriate?
rainbowflavored is offline   Reply With Quote