Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 01-03-2004, 10:19 AM   #1
Spatx
Shaking Fist Violently

Question For Women: Less Hips and Butt / Lower Waist / More Shoulders

I love crossplaying as guys.. But my hips and butt! The only thing I have going for me is naturally thicker eyebrows and broad shoulders. ^_^

Is there any suggestions or things that can work to make hips/butts look smaller or slim them down?

Thats about my only problem, I had trouble with binding too, but I read through all the posts and I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing now. ^^
Spatx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2004, 10:41 AM   #2
Scortia

I have wide hips and narrow shoulders, so I understand your pain... I wear those slimming shorts that hold you in from thigh to waist and they help a little... then there's always costumes that require tight pants... you'll just hurt like hell from them but should get that look. And in addition... running, running, and more running... exercise can help. Binding is your friend... sports bra, ace bandage, bingo. ;p
Unread 01-03-2004, 07:26 PM   #3
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

You need to modify the "hourglass" proportions (bust, waist, hip) on your costume to male ratios. Maybe after binding you could pad your waist a bit. You might not like to look fatter but optically that will make your hips less noticeable.

Luck...

Dani
dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 08:27 PM   #4
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Padding the waist is the best help I can give, too. In addition to wearing a foundation garment that will slim your hips and thighs, padding out the sides of your waist and the small of your back will help reduce the appearance of a curve there and create the optical illusion of a smaller waist to hip ratio.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 09:55 PM   #5
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Pad your waist or at least wear shirts that are loose in this area. Wear your pants a bit lower on the hips (because guys have longer torsos and a shorter abdominal area). Keep the waistband loose, preferably if possible rising loosely up above the point of "hang" (helps cover narrower waist.) Wearing shoulder pads (even with broader shoulders, like mine) will make the hips look narrower by making the shoulders look wider. If the pants legs do not go narrower than the widest point on your thigh, the butt will get less emphasis.

I have "nice childbearing hips", but in actual fact, they measure only 2" in circumference larger than my husband's. The big difference is that my girly waist is a lot smaller than his boyish one, so my hips normally get a lot more emphasis.

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 08-26-2004 at 02:39 AM.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2004, 05:56 PM   #6
Spatx
Shaking Fist Violently

Hehe, Thanks for the help, but I don't think I would want to pad my waist.. I'm large enough already without needing padding. *laughs* In any case, I do think those shorts that hold you in a bit would help. And exercise - I'm working on that.

The costume I'm doing right now is Katan from the Angel Sanctuary anime, so luckily the way the costume goes you can't see my curves. I think the only thing I'll have to do is bind and use some make-up *curses at her acne*
Unread 01-04-2004, 06:19 PM   #7
Scortia

He has sort of a belted trenchcoat, right? That's actually one of the best things a crossplayer can wear. Remember to wear the belt low and loose... if you wear it snug to your waist it will look very female... try to poof the material around the belt more as well... if you check my gallery, I managed to lose the image of hips by wearing a trenchcoat as well... you honestly are doing a costume that will make you look very masculine... and I suggest shoulder pads if you can get some of the more natural looking ones.
Unread 01-04-2004, 06:34 PM   #8
LuckInSpades

Briefly Off Topic, but I must:

I'd just be happy enough making my middle slim enough for female costumes. ^,^
Unread 01-05-2004, 10:35 AM   #9
Hitori
Tra la la

Most people covered everithing I noted to work. I don't have much expirience with ridding miself of hips though, since mine are veri guy like alreadi. Wearing your pants low on the hips I've noticed to be one of the best thing (Example, if I wear them low risers that are "in" right now, I have been mistaked for a guy, and most of you know what I look like@.@). And, if you don't mind too much, change the costume. In little wais, to accent things, like what Scortia was saying.
Unread 01-10-2004, 04:35 PM   #10
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Color counts: Wear DARK colored pants if at all possible. Light-colored or white pants will just balloon your hips. >.<

Standing / walking: Avoid the classic female S-posture = pulled back shoulders with outthrust chest and butt. Tilt your hips forward (as if doing a pelvic thrust ) - you'd be amazed how much that lessens the butt.

Stand square on both feet - weight on one leg will tend to thrust out the opposite hip in a more "girly" manner and emphasizing it.

Posing: Stand with your hips 3/4 to the camera for the narrowest appearance. (If you then turn your upper body somewhat more square to the camera, the shoulders definitely get more emphasis over the hips.)

In that pose, another trick is to let your arm (the one more in front) hang down at your side in such a manner as to conveniently cover more butt.

Not a perfect example but not too bad:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/cosplay/c...ce1IMG0311.jpg

Other tricks in that picture: low-waisted pants (yeah, girl's low-risers ), loose belt, tape binding (that's my real skin), and shoulder pads inside one of my husband's shirts. (I don't think I'm giving him that shirt back! )

The low-rise on those pants isn't super low, but I think that belt is at least 2-3" below my actual waist. I usually don't pad my waist (didn't there either), and I never "stuff".

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Body Language: (Bonus edit!)

Guys naturally take up more personal space (social conditioning, I bet.) Do it. Let your elbows out. Sit with your knees apart, or your ankle on the opposite knee, etc.

Don't walk with your knees turned in! - Or even straight, if possible - try to make them go outward when you walk, like most guys. You'll probably have to walk with your feet turned a bit more out than you are used to, but it will look normal. (Good practice - try walking up and down stairs "like a guy".)

Stride.

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 01-12-2004 at 02:17 AM.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2004, 05:28 PM   #11
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Wow. Great tips, Karisu! What a bishonen.

Funny you should mention the way you stand...after I was having some back pains and shoulder troubles at work (I sew all day at a shop, in addition to sewing at home), my boss sent me to his massage therapist. He does real body-work, not just the happy feel-good spa type massage. Once he set my shoulder right, he pointed something out to me about the position of my hips, and without having known me for more than a half an hour, pegged me exactly on the way I tend to stand and said it was the reason some of my aches kept recurring. I've spent a year consciously re-training myself on how to stand, and it's defintely more like a guy's posture: weight on both feet at all times, not cocked to one side, hips tilted more forward to align my back straight, not slouching. Doing this for cosplay will help, I can see, but it's still a conscious thing. We all have developed our own instincts for how to stand, and breaking out of that means always thinking about it whenever you're standing or walking, and if your muscles aren't used to it, you may get a little twinge the next day. Think being in a corset all day and being forced to stand with a straighter back - it's like that.

But, with training...anything is possible.

Now, to get going on that walking/running/working out to physically reduce the size of my ass...

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2004, 06:49 PM   #12
Sweet~Pea
Cosplayer/Photographer

Talking

[quote=CapsuleCorp]Funny you should mention the way you stand...after I was having some back pains and shoulder troubles at work (I sew all day at a shop, in addition to sewing at home), my boss sent me to his massage therapist. He does real body-work, not just the happy feel-good spa type massage. Once he set my shoulder right, he pointed something out to me about the position of my hips, and without having known me for more than a half an hour, pegged me exactly on the way I tend to stand and said it was the reason some of my aches kept recurring. I've spent a year consciously re-training myself on how to stand, and it's defintely more like a guy's posture: weight on both feet at all times, not cocked to one side, hips tilted more forward to align my back straight, not slouching. Doing this for cosplay will help, I can see, but it's still a conscious thing. We all have developed our own instincts for how to stand, and breaking out of that means always thinking about it whenever you're standing or walking, and if your muscles aren't used to it, you may get a little twinge the next day. Think being in a corset all day and being forced to stand with a straighter back - it's like that.
QUOTE]
I definatly agree with this. I've been taking ballet since I was 6 so I walk with a straight back all the time now. You wouldn't believe how much stress is relived for you body when you hold yourself up with your stomach instead of your back. I don't know how some girls can walk with arched backs, not to mention it makes you ass and stomach look twice as big because it is being pushed outwards.

So I do agree that proper stance can make a difference in making the character believeable.

Cheers
-Christa

Photoshoots available at Katsucon 2012!
Sweet~Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2004, 07:51 PM   #13
Spatx
Shaking Fist Violently

Yay, great tips! I will definitely try standing differently. ^_^

I was at the store the other day, and tried on different kinds of slimming body suits and stuff. It made the world of difference! The one that really helped with my stomach/upper legs/butt went from just above my knees to just below my chest. Although.. I'm still looking because it would be nice if I could find one that went higher, aka, making my chest flatter while at it.
Unread 01-10-2004, 09:07 PM   #14
Hitori
Tra la la

These standing tips are great, thanx everione. I tend to stand like that aniwai, but it's good to know that it'll be helpful.
I hope to have some good tips realli soon, as I'm working on a Touga of Utena uniform and he wears, horror or horrors, white pants. It's going to be realli fun figuring it all out.
Unread 01-11-2004, 03:01 PM   #15
Panda_Brat
Kiss Me, Kill Me, Love Me

I want to crossplay as Ryuichi and there is now way I could bind or pad in his costume. (the one were his stomach is almost fully exposed and ther is only one button and that leaves his chest exposed too)

Puuchuu Gun: Wassup! My name is Nanami. I can advance and improve you, man! You gotta shoot me with yo damn soul! I'm countin' on ya! Wassup!
Excel: Wow, it even has an adrenaline-pumping masculine voice included. So hi-tech!

Ryuichi Fangirl... He shall be mine!
Panda_Brat is offline   Reply With Quote