Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.85 average.
Unread 11-12-2008, 05:41 AM   #181
SabienStrange
my boss is quite savage

It might have already been explained but maybe not. >_<
My hips aren't too wide, but I'm a sufferer of large-butt syndrome.
To hide all that, its best to choose a character that wears loose clothing,
And to top that off, wear your pants as low as your comfortable with.
For some god awful reason, KH!Leon wears his pants high, so I compensate for that by dropping his pants lower.
If its unavoidable that you can't drop your pants lower and have it look alright, go find yourself a pair of men's pants and do a bit of alteration on them.
The thing with men's pants is that their straight legged all the way, and women's pants accentuate all those lovely curves your trying to hide.

Also, altering a made costume specifically to get ride of your hips will do wonders.
Making the waist measurements a bit larger might help out a bit.

As for those tight-pants wearing men, I've no idea how to get around that,
Other than buying pants that aren't as skin tight as the character wears them.
I've usually stuck with characters that have coats hanging over those pants, or some other piece of clothing that hides all that.
I'd suggest a pair of pants that bells out below the knees.
Most women have curvy little legs, and so long as your character isn't wearing skinny jeans, you should be fine.

As for shoes, unless your doing an 18th century character, I'd avoid using heels for a crossplay.
High heel's force you up on your toes, emphasizing your calves, and inadvertently force your butt to stick out.
If you need height, I'd stick with platforms, and if you can't work that into your costume, then don't sweat it.
I've had people mistaken me for being male even though I'm quite short. xD

And my favorite thing to do is lower the tone of my voice/imitate the characters voice~ Cx
I've found that if I speak a little slower and focus a bit, I can pull off a male-ish voice.
And then of course something gets me happy and I speedy up and get squeaky. ._.

EDIT: Oh! I almost forgot.
Make-up! =D
Squaring your jawline and touching around your cheek-bones with a powder a hair darker than your skintone has helped me a bit too.
But try not to over-do it, or else you'll get the drag queen look...unless your character's a tranny. xD

Last edited by SabienStrange : 11-12-2008 at 05:46 AM.
SabienStrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #182
ramesese
Bruce Wayne

I'm not sure what's your budget for your costume. The only way in my opinion is to have a male muscle suit sculpted for you. Then casted in rd407 latex rubber which is lightweight, flexible, and durable.
Unread 12-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #183
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

How would you suppose I would slim my hips and thighs when wearing a body suit.
I have a pretty small waist. and would be binding. when I bind I have a 31 inch chest and a 24 inch waist..but my hips are like...36 or 37 around.....

><...how could I make a body suit work with that!!??
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #184
zomgmissy
New Account: ohmicaiah

Creative Genius: Find some way to pad your waist, that's the only way to make you look less curvy.
zomgmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #185
ramesese
Bruce Wayne

I wouldn't wear just any old bodysuit but rather a wetsuit. The wetsuit retracts the muscles, and it does make for easier mobility, then I would have a sculpt made of your body frame, and once molded, casted into latex rubber of the specific costume you would be wearing for i.e., catwoman, then the final cast will be blended to the rest of your body, you will not only look good in the suit, but everyone will not recognize thats even you. Well until you take your mask off. lol
Unread 02-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #186
Squall_009
Top Dog

found that trying to keep legs about just under shoulder with or at apart and keeping back straight minimizes the girl thighs too XD It helps with your back too.
Metrocon 09: Hetalia- ( England- Plain and Revolution), Gundam wing (duo maxwell)

Cosplay Making in Progress
Arthur kirkland (hetalia): 10 %
Arthur kirkland revolution: 5 %
Squall_009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #187
Ryo_Hellsing
The Ryo User!

This information is very useful, Thank you guys so much for it!

I do have one question though for sitting:
I'm crossplaying as a male who wears a skirt item and I was wondering how can I sit without showing off anything while being able to give off the appearance of a male. I was thinking of using bandages around my legs and torso so if anything dose happen all they would see is bandages. But it's just an idea that I am throwing around. Any idea's?

Ram Fan! Anyone else love the Tribe? Pm me!

"So I took the shotgun off the wall
and I fired two warning shots...
...into his head."
Ryo_Hellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #188
Xylina_Furiae
iPinch D:&amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo_Hellsing View Post
This information is very useful, Thank you guys so much for it!

I do have one question though for sitting:
I'm crossplaying as a male who wears a skirt item and I was wondering how can I sit without showing off anything while being able to give off the appearance of a male. I was thinking of using bandages around my legs and torso so if anything dose happen all they would see is bandages. But it's just an idea that I am throwing around. Any idea's?
I'm assuming, for this, that the skirt is above the knees.

I'd suggest wearing some spandex shorts. They'll cut down on how big your thighs look as well as allow you to sit more guyish while still being comfortable with your ... stuff.
"You should hate someone because they're an asshole or a pervert or a snob, or they're lazy or arrogant or an idiot or a know-it-all. Those are reasons to dislike somebody. You don't hate a person because someone told you to; you have to despise people on a personal level, not because they're red or because they're blue, but because you know them and you see them every single day, and you can't stand them because they're a complete and total [f]ing douchebag."
-Leonard L. Church, Red Vs Blue
Xylina_Furiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #189
Ryo_Hellsing
The Ryo User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruri_hizu View Post
I'm assuming, for this, that the skirt is above the knees.

I'd suggest wearing some spandex shorts. They'll cut down on how big your thighs look as well as allow you to sit more guyish while still being comfortable with your ... stuff.
Ja it is, and thank you for the idea. I will have to look in to this.

Ram Fan! Anyone else love the Tribe? Pm me!

"So I took the shotgun off the wall
and I fired two warning shots...
...into his head."
Ryo_Hellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #190
Xylina_Furiae
iPinch D:&amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;

You're welcome.
"You should hate someone because they're an asshole or a pervert or a snob, or they're lazy or arrogant or an idiot or a know-it-all. Those are reasons to dislike somebody. You don't hate a person because someone told you to; you have to despise people on a personal level, not because they're red or because they're blue, but because you know them and you see them every single day, and you can't stand them because they're a complete and total [f]ing douchebag."
-Leonard L. Church, Red Vs Blue
Xylina_Furiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #191
XGuardianX

I would recommend using clth pads in under the costumes is arm connection, yu knw on top of the shulders. i'm pretty even when it cmes to hips and shoulders ratio, so i don't have much problem with that, and for less hips...buy one of those tigh shorts that go from the knees to the waist.
XGuardianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #192
dorkasaur

i have a slim body, but my butt is just sticks
out http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...hero45/grt.png
do compression pants work to make my butt flatter?
or something else?
dorkasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #193
DeathByCosplay
...Better Than Chocolate

What if I want to make my waist look really small but keep my hips? I'm crossplaying as Axel from Kingdom Hearts II soon and he has HIPS and a small waist.

-Upcoming Cosplays-
Mad Hatter Axel (Wonderland)- 95%
Saix- 35%
Reno- 65%

-Upcoming Cons-
Saboten-Con 09-
Mad Hatter Axel (Friday)
Casual Saix (Saturday)
Pajama Saix? (Sunday?)
DeathByCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #194
zomgmissy
New Account: ohmicaiah

DeathByCosplay: I have two suggestions. Pad your hips and thighs somehow (gotta make it flow, which is why I said "and thighs"), or lose weight.
zomgmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #195
nikkimustang
Amestris Army

Ohman, I feel your pain, DeathByCosplay. Axel has a tinytiny waist. I'm having the Roxas issue that someone mentioned earlier, i.e. his anti-ass. (Thankfully I haven't even begun to contemplate Twilight Town version yet.) Depending on your height you also have that working against you. I suppose if you really wanted (don't ask me why) you could figure out a way to realistically pad your hips, but in my case with the large excess of them I don't know why you'd want to.

On another note, did we ever establish a tried-and-true version of compression shorts? I've been through the thread tonight, but all I saw was that the one from Underworks failed someone and baseball shorts from a sports store are good. I'd include names and citations, but I'm far too lazy and eating oranges. XD
nikkimustang is offline   Reply With Quote