Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 74 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 10-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #241
Allure de Star

For Women: Less Hips and Butt / Lower Waist / More Shoulders

Women's waist-to-hip ratio (WHR) varies with age, and a lower WHR is associated with a higher estrogen-to-androgen ratio and possibly higher fecundity, at least in some populations. Consequently, it has been argued that selection has favored a universal male preference for a low female WHR. In previous studies using frontal pictures, men in the United States preferred a low WHR of 0.7, but men among Hadza hunter–gatherers and a few other small-scale societies preferred higher ratios. Unlike the actual WHR of women, measured with a tape around the waist and the hips and buttocks, the WHR in frontal pictures excludes the buttocks. Because frontal WHR gives only a partial picture, we used profile views of women to measure men's preferences for the profile WHR. Hadza men preferred a lower profile WHR (more protruding buttocks) than American men. Since Hadza men preferred higher frontal WHR but lower profile WHR, and since both contribute to the actual WHR, these results imply there is less disparity between American and Hadza preferences for the actual WHR of real women. We suggest men's preferences vary with the geographic variation in the shape of women who have wider hips in some populations and more protruding buttocks in others.

Unread 11-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #242
Yamikochan

curious on how to hide my big butt while cosplaying a guy (how would most of you go about it) ,I don't really have a problem as i am an average cup size (for breasts), it's my butt which is embarrassingly huge. What are the best ways to make that disappear? (Especially if the guy I chose to cosplay has a bit of tight pants and also wears a belt at the waist)
Yamikochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #243
Kelley
Devil of Details

Can you post pictures ?

It's not that I'm keen on seeing your rear - but most people have a skewed perception of their bodies - so it's hard to get a really accurate idea of your problem with only words.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 01:07 AM   #244
Yamikochan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurLadyC View Post
Can you post pictures ?

It's not that I'm keen on seeing your rear - but most people have a skewed perception of their bodies - so it's hard to get a really accurate idea of your problem with only words.
no, I totally understand, other than what is probably under my profile, I'll get some here:

http://tinypic.com/r/2qxlzr7/4 -one of my cosplays

http://tinypic.com/r/bj05c/4 -another cosplay

http://tinypic.com/r/23kygpk/4 -just taken today in front of the mirror

I won't lie, I'm a bit on the chubby side. But even if/when i lose/did lose weight i still had a bubble butt. How in the world can i fix that?
Yamikochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #245
StarryShay

I have a question about crossplaying that I hope someone can help me with. I just recently got everything for my Len Kagamine cosplay together, that I wore to a convention~, and I noticed that the mascara I was wearing kind of made me look more girl'ish. What's a good way to wear make-up when your crossplaying so that your eyes still stand out, but you don't look too feminine? C:
Also, I don't really have a...bust (or rather, it's barely noticable. >>), so should I still worry about binding~?
Len --> http://media.photobucket.com/image/l...doko1.png?o=15
I hope this is the right place to ask. <3
Thanks~!
StarryShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 12:02 AM   #246
playmysitardemy
Hahahaha......wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryShay View Post
I have a question about crossplaying that I hope someone can help me with. I just recently got everything for my Len Kagamine cosplay together, that I wore to a convention~, and I noticed that the mascara I was wearing kind of made me look more girl'ish. What's a good way to wear make-up when your crossplaying so that your eyes still stand out, but you don't look too feminine? C:
Also, I don't really have a...bust (or rather, it's barely noticable. >>), so should I still worry about binding~?
Len --> http://media.photobucket.com/image/l...doko1.png?o=15
I hope this is the right place to ask. <3
Thanks~!
I would suggest, though I'm not the greatest makeup person, that you use a tinge to square out your jaw more and instead of black eyeliner/mascara a brownish.....also, you might thicken your eyebrows. There's better information on makeup in the makeup section, if you just search for masculine makeup techniques or crossplay makeup. As for binding, I suppose it's how your costume fits and your bust size. I'm about a 36C and I still bind, since I've done Zack, who wears a tight shirt. I also bind while doing Reno, who has a baggy shirt but I just like to stay on the safe side. Hope this helps!
playmysitardemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #247
`Difficile
Cosplay Photographer

I will need some padding on the shoulders to pull of Jak fro Jak 3... But the good thing is he wears baggy clothes so it won't be too much of a problem.
`Difficile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 12:40 AM   #248
Sephirayne
Ranger from the North

Theres some really great tips in this thread. Thanks ever so much for posting them.

I don't have trouble crossplaying psychically as I have a boyish body from having too much male hormone in my body. My hips and shoulders have never been a prob for me. Its my lack of height and really pretty eyes that stand out.

I did however, never thought to change things like how I walked or stand. I'll think about those when I embark on possibly my most macho crossplay to date, Horatio Caine from CSI Miami.
Sephiroth(Dissidia FF and Classic) - Abel Nightroad(Empire, Early AX white jacket, AX Artbook and Gold Armour with BOOK O' DOOOMM) - Cain Nightroad(Trinity Blood Artbook) - Madam Red and Undertaker(Kuroshitsuji) - Lucius Malfoy (Harry Potter films) - Legolas(Lord of The Rings Films) -

Trinity Blood - when one Nightroad is never enough. Experience it for yourself today!
Sephirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 01:10 AM   #249
jabberwocky-x

I don't have any tips to add, but I must say THANK YOU to all of you lovely people iin this thread! Definitely useful things to keep in mind, especially as you've brought up things I never would have thought of. Thanks to lot of you!
jabberwocky-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #250
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

I cosplayed as Rock Lee once, at A-Kon 19,...and it was SO hard trying to look like a man while wearing spandex.
I'm a theatre major, and I know my way around a makeup kit, so I employed a great deal of makeup on myself, even using light nude lipstick to make my lips look less full and squaring off my jawline.

I have a straight-up cartoonish hourglass figure (literally 36" - 24" - 36") so I bound my boobs and focused on trying to minimize my lower half.
I wore Spanx (ACTUAL Spanx, not the knockoff kind...they're so much better), wore wedge ankle-boots that I modified into ninja shoes (more height makes your legs look slimmer, and the wedge can give the illusion of a flat shoe sometimes) which I covered up with the leg warmers. I also opted for Shippuuden Rock Lee rather than pre-time-skip Rock Lee, simply because the Chuunin vest is nifty and added bulk to my waist and shoulders, whereas pre-time-skip Lee just ended up making me look very slightly pear-ish (spandex unitards cling to your curves something fierce, thus emphasizing my small waist in comparison to my hips.)

It worked pretty well, I think.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #251
dangofreak646

So I know I should look through all the posts for the answers but I'm super busy and don't really have time to read through to find the answers. Sorry if it's bad forum ettiquette or something, just let me know and I'll try to do something about it.
So I've taken ballet since I was 3 and quit last year (right before my 13th birthday). My back kind of curves too far forward, like if I slouch with my spine bent it hurts, but the doctors won't do anything for it. I'm doing a Sasuke cosplay, his original blue outfit (or the black one, just not Shippuden as it's too much chest bared for my C/D cups). I can probably pull my spine back but it would start to hurt and my ribs would stick out funny. I have an hourglass shape, measured 35-26-39 (bust-waist-hips) and have no idea how to fix my waist(too small) or my back(pushed forward). I have limited resources as my 'rentals choose what I get and they don't know I'm going to crossplay, so I would have to be able to pass the stuff as materials for any costume in general. I pretty much have the binding figured out thanks to a friend, so I'm good there, it's just... sigh, everyone wants an hourglass body until they try to crossplay with one...
Again sorry if I'm doing something bad I'm a noob so you can yell at me.
dangofreak646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #252
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'm about 33-23-34. I don't really have a problem passing for a guy. *shrug*

I can't really offer any advice since I'm a very "visual" person - and without seeing pictures of what you're talking about, I have no idea what would help. : (

Plus, reference pictures for the costume - but I guess I'm one of the few people who never actually watched Naruto.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #253
Sheik Chan
I r Sheik Chan.

This thread has definitely helped.

I practiced crossplaying by having this "boy party" as my friends and I called it. We all dressed like guys and tried to get the feel of being one. Posture really does make a difference, and body language. :x We also found ourselves having to think less...and care less more... lmao.

Ah. My first crossplay will be done at AOD though..so in a month and a half from now. I'm so excited :0 I hope I can pull it off......I'll have to get rid of my hip-age.
Unread 12-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #254
dangofreak646

Costume reference-
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eymu7s-ZCS...320/sasuke.jpg

Body shots-

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...1201 69_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...17620 5_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...1044 27_n.jpg

I know not the best pics, these were taken two/three haircuts ago (I measure time in haircuts). I'm sorry if the links don't work I'm on a new laptop and I'm not used to it yet, switched from a Windows to a Mac.
dangofreak646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #255
playmysitardemy
Hahahaha......wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangofreak646 View Post
I'm doing a Sasuke cosplay, his original blue outfit (or the black one, just not Shippuden as it's too much chest bared for my C/D cups).
I have a 36 C cup and even with a open shirt, there are ways to bind and it still look good. Though I'm sure there are different methods much better than mine, if you still want to do that costume, may I suggest a look into the binding thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangofreak646 View Post
I have an hourglass shape, measured 35-26-39 (bust-waist-hips) and have no idea how to fix my waist(too small) or my back(pushed forward). I have limited resources as my 'rentals choose what I get and they don't know I'm going to crossplay, so I would have to be able to pass the stuff as materials for any costume in general. I pretty much have the binding figured out thanks to a friend, so I'm good there, it's just... sigh, everyone wants an hourglass body until they try to crossplay with one...
Again sorry if I'm doing something bad I'm a noob so you can yell at me.
Ah yes, the hourglass body. I'm not a perfect example but my measurements are 35-28-38.5 and if you want to look at my pictures that I've posted up on this site (I think my Zack Fair is a good example), it's still more or less easy to pull off if you just tweak the clothes a certain way or even certain stances when posing for pictures. You say Sasuke, and from what little I know of the character, maybe a bit of padding around your waist can give you more of a straight figure. As for your spine 'problem', try different poses in a full length mirror if you can, mimic how a man stands and try to adjust it if you so choose.

I suppose I'm rambling now, I apologize. These are just my thoughts and anything doesn't work, just remember, cosplay is for fun, as long as you have fun dressing up, you've still won in my opinion! Hope this helps!
playmysitardemy is offline   Reply With Quote