Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:33 AM   #271
Burton
Space Oddity

I apologize if this has been addressed, but I didn't see it.

Has anyone tried or considered one of these? : http://www.underworks.com/994.html

I have a costume that is nothing more than a unitard. The problem with that is that the curve of my hips is incredibly obvious. My compression vest does a good job of tucking all that in but it also has the problem of rolling up. So it seems to me that this bodysuit might be ideal. It hits the chest compression necessity as well as offering the hips/butt compression.

Thoughts? Reviews?

Jareth the Goblin King - The Labyrinth
Derpy Hooves - My Little Pony
Sherlock Holmes - BBC Sherlock
Castiel - Supernatural

Upcoming Conventions

Youmacon 2012
Dragon*Con 2012
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #272
Dragon
Cosplay Fiend

I don't think this will work out.
Women generally have an hourglass shape => 8
Men have V - shape => \/

Looking at this, plus checking out the suit, I fear that you will not even get it over your hip, cause it will be much widder than a guys. Thus, even if you would somehow be able to get it on, I can't imagine it being comfortable. It might even partly cut of your blood circulation.

Also I can't find anything about it being double-layered or anything, which would be necessary for girls with bigger chests.

I'm going with a two-part solution. the Tri-Top binder from underworks plus one of these panties that is form fitting as well and goes over your chest.
They are often refered to as "Grandma-panties" too.
It will probably not decrease your butt much, but it helps flattening your chest and make your hip look a bit smaller/slender.

But you are more welcome to try and state your results here :P
Unread 03-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #273
Kelley
Devil of Details

If you want to try to "pass", you would need to pad out your abdomen.

Unless you carry a lot of fat on your hips, there's not anything you can do - it's your bone structure, and you can't change it.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 12:49 AM   #274
Burton
Space Oddity

The problem with any compression/shaping underwear for women is that they are basically that. For women. They're designed for curves and generally help emphasize a smaller waist. I'm not looking to pass so much as I'm looking to make the costume look appropriate, which means eliminating striking curves. The underworks tri-top chest binder very nearly works if only it would stay pulled down over the hips/butt instead of rolling up the second you make any movement. It gives me a very straight up and down figure, no padding necessary. But the second it rolls up, BAM, hips. Not just hips, but accentuated hips because the chest binder has otherwise created that straight up and down/flat look on my upper body. So really I'm just looking for something that will have the same effect on the hips and stay in place. Layering might also come into it so I wouldn't be concerned with the chest compression strength. I might try it out of curiosity since I'm not strapped for cash.

Jareth the Goblin King - The Labyrinth
Derpy Hooves - My Little Pony
Sherlock Holmes - BBC Sherlock
Castiel - Supernatural

Upcoming Conventions

Youmacon 2012
Dragon*Con 2012
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 12:57 AM   #275
gcbillyownzme

Don't know if this has been addressed yet, but...

Is there any way to hide that faux-boob created by a binder? x.x It's like all my fat from my boobs went to my arm pits. Help please?
gcbillyownzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 01:14 AM   #276
Kelley
Devil of Details

Wearing men's shapewear shouldn't be a huge issue unless you're extremely "pear shaped" - and I mean, extremely.

Most men read on paper as "hourglass" figures - with chest and hips about the same, unless they are athletic enough to build up their chest.

The difference is in where those inches present themselves, of course - in men, it's a wide, horizontal configuration - and women have smaller shoulders and more inches coming from out front.

This shouldn't be a big issue for a binding garment.

@gcbillyownzme, Might you be able to post a picture ? I, personally, have not experienced anything like this, so I don't know what to suggest.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #277
Draco Malfoy
Slytherin Prince

I am larger myself and only cosplay males as I wish I was a male and I usually bind them up and put one of those tight pants or tighs under the trousers and this usually works very well. I am lucky that I mainly cosplay HP and the wide robes hide most of it LOL, give it a try :0)
Draco Malfoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #278
Sakanoue Ayame
In Android Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Malfoy View Post
I am larger myself and only cosplay males as I wish I was a male and I usually bind them up and put one of those tight pants or tighs under the trousers and this usually works very well. I am lucky that I mainly cosplay HP and the wide robes hide most of it LOL, give it a try :0)
Gods I am just the same. Most of my cosplays are Bleach and they have the massive robes to hide everything. That and a lot of black means people can't tend to tell what size you are.

My big problem is that I am quite short = many jokes about tiny Mayuri etc. I am pretty much straight down from ribs to thighs, so if I tried to give myself lower waist it would go horribly wrong.
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #279
juusanbantaigrr

I'm going to be cosplaying young!Ukitake at some point and the hakama pants are so wide I dont see myself having to do anything but pad my abdomen out a bit And that's saying something, because I have huge hips.

'Course, I didnt really want to pad my abdomen out *too* much since my character is a skinny little bastard (LOL) but I dont see that working very well because if I dont my curves will show. And that would look more unnatural, yeah?

I'm also gonna make my shoulders a little wider under the top because even though I have monster shoulders that are perfectly wide for a skinny boy (they're almost wider than my teenage brother's shoulders :P) I'm thinking the wider shoulders will hide the fact that I'm going to have to go pretty wild with a sports bra and ace bandage on my bindings to keep my boobs from showing up too much :P

"I'm a goddamn marvel of modern cosplay!"
juusanbantaigrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #280
playmysitardemy
Hahahaha......wait, what?

I have a small question. My gf and I are thinking of finally cosplaying Angel Sanctuary probably next year or the year after. She's more or less okay but I want to do Archangel Michael and if we plan for a warm con (like during the summer or so) I would like to do this version: http://www.elfwood.com/~jennyyi2/Mika.3466779.html (couldn't find and official one). The problem is....it's only a fishnet shirt. How do I bind yet keep it looking like chest? I've seen many people do it and wrap sports tape but it doesn't look right.
playmysitardemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 12:34 AM   #281
Blood_Sword
The samuraiholic guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakanoue Ayame View Post
Gods I am just the same. Most of my cosplays are Bleach and they have the massive robes to hide everything. That and a lot of black means people can't tend to tell what size you are.
I'm also cosplaying from Bleach, Ichigo, as my next cosplay.
God bless traditional japanese clothes, they hide all womanliness. <3 (lol)

But... I have a question still...
What exactly do folks use to pad ones abdomen?

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Oulun animeseminaari (8-9 August 2014)
FRI Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SAT ???
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #282
playmysitardemy

Anyone have tips for a mesh shirt?
Unread 06-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #283
I Aria I

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmysitardemy View Post
Anyone have tips for a mesh shirt?
You could try binding the way you normally would, and wearing a skin tone tank top under the fishnet.
I Aria I is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #284
ambertwilight
a voice is calling us

just pick or make outfits that give the illusion of no crves, like akatski costumes, and any type of feudal era stuff, or uniforms
ambertwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #285
playmysitardemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambertwilight View Post
just pick or make outfits that give the illusion of no crves, like akatski costumes, and any type of feudal era stuff, or uniforms
That's good advice and all but some people want to crossplay characters that don't wear those type of outfits, hence why this thread is here.