Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 01-11-2004, 04:43 PM   #16
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Oh, I know the feeling, Hitori. I'm going to do Gohan's Kai outfit, which also has white pants. Fortunately, my butt will be completely covered by a very long coat, so I shouldn't have any issues there.

Which store were you looking in, Spatx? I've considered hunting around for shaping garments that might help if I utterly fail to lose weight or tone particular muscles. But I don't know quite where to start looking.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2004, 09:08 PM   #17
Scortia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Brat
I want to crossplay as Ryuichi and there is now way I could bind or pad in his costume. (the one were his stomach is almost fully exposed and ther is only one button and that leaves his chest exposed too)
I'm doing the same outfit.. I'm just connecting the costume slightly more across my breast and putting on a flesh colored ace bandage there... and wearing men's jeans low on the hip... aside from that, the best thing you can do for concert Ryuichi is get a nice firm set of abs. ;p
Unread 01-11-2004, 10:19 PM   #18
Spatx
Shaking Fist Violently

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp
Which store were you looking in, Spatx? I've considered hunting around for shaping garments that might help if I utterly fail to lose weight or tone particular muscles. But I don't know quite where to start looking.
Hehe, I don't have a lot of money, so I just looked around the local mall here. Zellers, The Bay, and some lingerie store I can't remember the name of. ^^

I've been trying to lose weight, its so hard! @_@ *sighs* I envy people who can eat and eat and not gain a pound. At least I HAVE lost weight, 10 pounds since November. ^_^ I'm proud of that, but I need to lose more then just 10 pounds! grr.. I think having someone to exercise with would make it a better experience. lol. I get bored far too easily, and forget what I'm doing. hehe.

My typical day: *working working* ~distraction~ 'ohh! look!' *runs off and never comes back*
Spatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2004, 11:23 PM   #19
Beware_UY7
Reckless Youth

Mrawr. Lose weight? Pilates. Definitely. And one of the areas that you lose inches from quickly is your hips.

Losing weight is still hard... if you want, we can go kill my guy friend Kyle together; he loses at least 5 pounds every time he eats...... PIE!!!!!! No matter how much pie he eats... whether its one slice or 3/4 of a pie... its crazy. And it makes you feel just a bit homicidal. *despises her guy friends who all look better in a mini-skirt than any man should have a right to*
Unread 01-12-2004, 01:43 AM   #20
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatx
Hehe, I don't have a lot of money, so I just looked around the local mall here. Zellers, The Bay, and some lingerie store I can't remember the name of.
for shaping undergarments I really recommend Sears. But not going to a store. Get their whole catalog. The big book. They have lots of stuff and ship for free to a store close to your home. Go to sears.ca, find where your closest Sears associated merchant is and go ask for the whole catalog. Then choose what you want and check the webpage every day till they put it on special.
Quote:
I've been trying to lose weight, its so hard! @_@ *sighs* I envy people who can eat and eat and not gain a pound. At least I HAVE lost weight, 10 pounds since November. ^_^ I'm proud of that, but I need to lose more then just 10 pounds! grr.. I think having someone to exercise with would make it a better experience. lol. I get bored far too easily, and forget what I'm doing.
I'm working on that too. Tried to re-program my brain to reject pastries and sweets. ("looks good, but do I really need to carry all those extra calories in my tummy?") Since I'm too lazy to go to a gym I'm making one in my basement. Having a threadmill in front of the TV works wonders. I usually do 40 to 60 minutes at night, when everyone else is asleep.

Something to note: it is IMPOSSIBLE to decide which parts of the body you want to burn calories from. The same way the body decides by itself where to store them when they come in, it decides where to take them out from without asking us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_UY7
*despises her guy friends who all look better in a mini-skirt than any man should have a right to*
Am I in your despise list? (see my gallery)

But going back to the topic of the thread, guy's pants are shaped, sized and worn way different than ladies'.

Have fun...

Dani
dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2004, 02:18 AM   #21
Pink Bunnie
Beware of the Bagels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karisu-sama
Color counts: Wear DARK colored pants if at all possible. Light-colored or white pants will just balloon your hips. >.<

Posing: Stand with your hips 3/4 to the camera for the narrowest appearance. (If you then turn your upper body somewhat more square to the camera, the shoulders definitely get more emphasis over the hips.)

In that pose, another trick is to let your arm (the one more in front) hang down at your side in such a manner as to conveniently cover more butt.

Not a perfect example but not too bad:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/cosplay/c...ce1IMG0311.jpg

Other tricks in that picture: low-waisted pants (yeah, girl's low-risers ), loose belt, tape binding (that's my real skin), and shoulder pads inside one of my husband's shirts. (I don't think I'm giving him that shirt back! )

The low-rise on those pants isn't super low, but I think that belt is at least 2-3" below my actual waist. I usually don't pad my waist (didn't there either), and I never "stuff".

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Body Language: (Bonus edit)

Standing / sitting / walking: Avoid the classic female S-posture = pulled back shoulders with outthrust chest and butt. Tilt your hips forward (as if doing a pelvic thrust ) - you'd be amazed how much that lessens the butt.

Stand square on both feet - weight on one leg will tend to thrust out the opposite hip in a more "girly" manner.

Guys naturally take up more personal space (social conditioning, I bet.) Do it. Let your elbows out. Sit with your knees apart, or your ankle on the opposite knee, etc.

Don't walk with your knees turned in! - Or even straight, if possible - try to make them go outward when you walk, like most guys. You'll probably have to walk with your feet turned a bit more out than you are used to, but it will look normal. (Good practice - try walking up and down stairs "like a guy".)

Stride.
Wow that pic amazes me. If I didn't know better I'd be fooled o.o

Sewing and cosplay journal
www.livejournal.com/users/pour_me_coffee
Pink Bunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2004, 04:38 PM   #22
Spatx
Shaking Fist Violently

Thanks Dani!

I will definitely look into Sears. ^_^

I wish that we had a treadmill! Right now, DDR is my exercise since I have no tolerence to the cold, I prefer to stay indoors in winter. Lol, I'm getting a lot better, 316 combo today on standard!
Unread 01-12-2004, 10:29 PM   #23
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

LOL!! DDR is my cardio, too! Oh dear. We are such otaku. But I've been lifting weights, too, for my upper body and back strength.

sears.ca...you know, good things have always happened when I went to Canada to look for stuff, especially via Sears. I got awesome Jedi boots from them a few years ago. Will look, thanks dani!

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
Unread 01-13-2004, 12:03 AM   #24
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

General Notice

Now that this thread is an "FAQ sticky", please don't fill it with random chitchat.

(I will be stickying an equivalent-type thread for guys - I need to check the threads and I'm super busy)

Thank you.

(PS: Thanks, Mel! You know what I really look like! ^___^)

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 01-13-2004 at 12:32 AM. Reason: typos
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2004, 12:55 AM   #25
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I haven't even bothered contemplating crossplay pretty much, as I think I have wayyy too many strikes against me:
- short
- narrow shoulders
- wide hips
- short waist w/ long legs
- super-long hair means it's very difficult to wear a short-haired wig

Oh well...I like girly costumes so I guess it's just as well. But I did see a really cool male costume in Last Exile recently that I was severely tempted by...*sigh*

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2004, 01:58 AM   #26
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime
I think I have wayyy too many strikes against me
Really?

Me:
- 5'8.5". OK, not short...
- IMO wide shoulders (but definitely narrower than my husband's.) Sarcasm: I never got the impression from your photos that you had narrow shoulders, even in the ribbon costume. (For mine, see pics below.)

However:
- nice childbearing hips (36", & proven quite capable for childbearing )
- short waist & long legs (it's true; I have to buy my jeans in "long" because "regular" is too short - it limits where I can buy jeans. )
- long hair (not super-long & it's REALLY fine - I always wanted hair like yours! )

Which I see narrows it down to "short". Nothing wrong with pint-sized bishounen. ^^
If you ever feel tempted enough, go ahead. (I certainly do girly costumes too. )

Some intentionally girly photos of scrawny under-endowed Karisu (the dark hair is the real stuff):
http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost...MG0181-med.jpg
http://www.dragonsgate.net/cosplay/Karisu_is_a_Girl.jpg

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 01-13-2004 at 02:59 AM.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2004, 05:16 PM   #27
Spatx
Shaking Fist Violently

Sorry about random chit chat- I get too excited sometimes and blab on. xD

I have a question about padding your waist - If you were to ever actually pad yourself, how would you do it and what would you use? I have a friend that is interested in knowing how you would go about doing that.

And my own personal question - Which kind of body slimming suit would work better? :

One that is like a bathing suit
or
One that goes from just above knees to above bellybutton

I tried one that went from below the knees to my waist, but it didn't work right for helping my hips, so i just nicely shoved it back on the shelf. I haven't been able to find one that is like a bathing suit yet, so I don't know if it would work better or not. Thanks for all the help! I'm quite a Newbie. ^^
Unread 01-17-2004, 07:08 PM   #28
ACXchan
I sink you now!

An easy way to lose weight, particularly around the waist and below area, is to do alot of walking. Ever since I moved to San Francisco I've been doing lots and lots of walking @D@ It's helped me to lose and maintain a decent weight. Swimming also does wonders XD But people who don't want to tone and buff up their calf muscles may want to stay away from these exercises ^ ^; I also use a thigh slimmer now, those are great although they'll stretch with time.

I have broad shoulders and big hands, too bad they don't compensate for wide hips u_u
ACXchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2004, 08:56 PM   #29
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

On the suggestions about what kinds of pants to wear and how to wear them...I've learned the hard way this weekend about tailoring pants so they don't emphasize your girl-ness. I got a misses' pants pattern for my Yugi school-uniform pants because of how slim and slender Yami Yugi is, but it took a lot of tweaking to get them to NOT emphasize my hips. The darts on the back sort of help the butt issue, but I had to majorly take the pants in on the side seams to eliminate the shape the pattern had - very hippy. So, a word to the wise who want to try to hide their womanly lower half under their clothing - if you use a pattern, watch out for what makes a pattern "women's." Making your own pants does give you a chance to do all the altering and tailoring you want, but it also means being stuck with the current offerings from pattern companies unless you're really good at drafting and altering patterns.

Learned that lesson quick - the Gohan pants are very highly altered. Wider waistband on them, too - stupid misses pants with stupid little narrow waistband for little tiny fashionable belts. *grumble*

Unread 01-28-2004, 08:37 PM   #30
Cait

About the pants... Yeah. I feel that pain. The problem is a lot of the premade pants I can buy/have bought, even though they are for men and boys, have a tendency, well... I'm very short (5'1") and I usually end up getting things that are made for fat little boys. Unfortunatly, these often have a tapered pant leg. I'm not an intensly fat girl, but I do end up looking like a really fat little boy with pant legs that seem to start a few feet wide and come to a point.

Here comes the vague and impossible question. Is there any way to look like a lean guy? I mean what exactly do you do with something like that? I don't know.

*sweatdrops at self and falls over*
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote