Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 4.84 average.
Unread 05-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #331
Itanako

Crossplaying is slightly hard for me, I have scholliosis(spelling?) so my back arches rediculosly it's like this ( I swear it drives me nuts lol I pretty much have a straight line from the front I have a bit of a masculine figure I guess i want to do a hetalia axis powers Prussia cosplay and I'm concerned about how to make my back to appear a bit less curvy apart from padding. Any help would be loved.

Last edited by Itanako : 05-19-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Itanako is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #332
VKlover
Natalie Cristina Ruiz

ok, this is like the opposite for meh. ._. I am cosplaying as Grell from Black Butler tomorrow at my mall (going to see X-Men) and my mom said i can wear my costume (even tho it has NOTHING to do with the movie. i know she is making it up to me about my plans today.). thing is... i have broad shoulders, and my hips fine (and i actually have nice legs (lmao)!) but my waist is big. ._. and i dont have a body shaper or anything like that. can someone help me? i am stuck. ._."

~Otakon 21~

Chieko (Kuragehime) 0% (Planning) (Friday)
Jack Frost (Rise of the Guardians)- 15% (wig only) (Friday Night)
Sollux Captor (Homestuck)- 100% (Saturday Morning)
Tsukimi Kurashita (Kurageshite (Jellyfish Princess) )- 50% (Saturday afternoon)
God Tier! Dave Strider (Homestuck)- 85% (Sunday)

See you guys in Baltimore~!

VKlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #333
Yami/Kaiba
water mage

Well it really helps to have a body shaper, but if you don't have that spandex shorts are your next best thing and slim you down by at least three to five inches for the hips.
High Priest Seto
Sesshomaru
Seto Kaiba

Currently in process:
Rain from Mortal Kombat Armageddon
Yami/Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #334
Convulsive
My name is Kan

EYEBROWS! Has that been missed? (only read first 2 pages) My mum taught me how to make manly brows fout of feminine ones. You take eyeliner that matches your eyebrows and draw it more inward to your nose and make them more geometric/square shaped, instead of femininely shaped (what would you even call it? xD) this helps tons. Also, shading around the jaw and chin can make you look manlier! and little to no eyeliner. I've seen a lot of crossplays where the girls just wore their everyday makeup ;n;

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #335
CyberCandy
Just a v i r u s

Okay, so a LOT of my crossplays are skinny femboys. I have fairly small waist, but large hips. Ive skimmed and seen things about padding and so on, but the main crossplay ill be doing is stuart from beyblade. He has his middrift showing, soooooo any ideas?

CyberCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 02:45 AM   #336
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

I had a question/need some advice for a crossplay. I'm a girl and I'm planning on cross playing Reita from The GazettE probably for Halloween. I did read quite a bit of things on here about padding your waist, wearing low risers, etc. But what else can I do?

Basically I already need to get a compression shirt because I have giant boobs, I'm extremely curvy, I have an hourglass figure. I already have a long torso, it's just you can't see it because my boobs cover my torso but you might be able to see it after I put on the compression shirt.

Not sure about make up for my face since he always wears that little mask or what ever thing on his face, but jrockers are mostly femmy and things already so I don't think I'd have to worry about that except for getting a paler foundation because I'm getting darker because it's summer. But I still wouldn't mind make up advice.

I'm doing his outfit from the Cassis video which is a black suit, convienent. I'm going to take it to the cleaners to get custom fitted and get a "masculine shape".

I have to buy shoes too, which I wonder if I should get men's or women's? I'm pretty sure I could find what I need in women's but I don't even know what my size would be in mens. I have pretty small feet so I'm wondering if I should get a bigger size and stuff socks in it so the shoes still fit but make my feet look bigger.

Oh and how can I look taller with out getting those doofy platform shoes? Or atleast the illusion of looking taller? I'm pretty short. 5'3/4 with out shoes. 5'5'' with shoes.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #337
Peroperosq2

i need help with this too
Peroperosq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #338
Roweena5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Pocky View Post
I have to buy shoes too, which I wonder if I should get men's or women's? I'm pretty sure I could find what I need in women's but I don't even know what my size would be in mens. I have pretty small feet so I'm wondering if I should get a bigger size and stuff socks in it so the shoes still fit but make my feet look bigger.

Oh and how can I look taller with out getting those doofy platform shoes? Or atleast the illusion of looking taller? I'm pretty short. 5'3/4 with out shoes. 5'5'' with shoes.
I'm new to crossplaying myself, but for the shoes, I suggest you buy men's shoes. They are different in shape and form and it will make a difference. Bigger size and stuffing them will be very uncomfortable, especially if you will be going to a con where thre are much walking around. If you have very small feet, try the boy's shoes. There's usually atleast one more 'grown up' model of shoe, even for kids, and since you'll be wearing a suit, there shouldn't be any trouble finding a suitable shoe.

As for actually figuring your size in men's shoes out, simply go to a store and try them on, it's the easiest way. Or, if you for some reason don't have the opportunity/don't want to, there are several guides available online, where you find out by measuring your feet and comparing to a size chart.

For example: http://shoes.about.com/od/fitcomfort/ss/measurefeet.htm

To make you look taller without annoying platforms, here's a few suggestions:

Wear a relatively short jacket, reaching to maybe halfway covering the hips/but. This will make your legs seem longer and by doing so, give the illusion that you look taller then you actually are.

Make sure your pant legs are the right lenght. They should be slightly longer then the average (which usually leaves a small 'gap' between the hem and shoe) and rest on the shoe at the same hight where the laces are/should have been on the shoe.

Make sure the shoes and pants are of the same/similar colour. The point is, that you want to make your leg and foot look like an entity (which will make you look taller) and not to 'chop the feet off' by wearing too short pants (which will make you look shorter).

I hope that I have not confused you, if there's anything you don't understand, just ask.

Going to:
Otakon 2011

Planned cosplays 2011:
Lavi - D.Gray-man
Ireland - Hetalia
Roweena5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 02:53 AM   #339
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roweena5000 View Post
I'm new to crossplaying myself, but for the shoes, I suggest you buy men's shoes. They are different in shape and form and it will make a difference. Bigger size and stuffing them will be very uncomfortable, especially if you will be going to a con where thre are much walking around. If you have very small feet, try the boy's shoes. There's usually atleast one more 'grown up' model of shoe, even for kids, and since you'll be wearing a suit, there shouldn't be any trouble finding a suitable shoe.

As for actually figuring your size in men's shoes out, simply go to a store and try them on, it's the easiest way. Or, if you for some reason don't have the opportunity/don't want to, there are several guides available online, where you find out by measuring your feet and comparing to a size chart.

For example: http://shoes.about.com/od/fitcomfort/ss/measurefeet.htm

To make you look taller without annoying platforms, here's a few suggestions:

Wear a relatively short jacket, reaching to maybe halfway covering the hips/but. This will make your legs seem longer and by doing so, give the illusion that you look taller then you actually are.

Make sure your pant legs are the right lenght. They should be slightly longer then the average (which usually leaves a small 'gap' between the hem and shoe) and rest on the shoe at the same hight where the laces are/should have been on the shoe.

Make sure the shoes and pants are of the same/similar colour. The point is, that you want to make your leg and foot look like an entity (which will make you look taller) and not to 'chop the feet off' by wearing too short pants (which will make you look shorter).

I hope that I have not confused you, if there's anything you don't understand, just ask.
I get what your saying. I know also that black is slimming which my suit is black and it's gotta get tailored any way so I can get it tailored to have a more masuline shape. And I will do that for shoes. I'll look at the mall or some thing but I'll probably have to order online since I don't know how easy it would be to find a white loafter type shoe in men's.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #340
Megan_Magoo
Cosplay Addict

I've recently been shopping for pieces for my crossplay, and I've discovered that hips make it nearly IMPOSSIBLE to wear a suit jacket properly. I'm pretty little, so I need a small, but whenever I try and do up the buttons (and I need to do up ALL of them for this cosplay...), I get this straining effect, and my hips are like, "LOLOLOLOL PROBLEM?"

I also have too much of a bubble butt. >: Anyone know of a way to reduce your hips as much as possible without having to pad down your waist?
Megan_Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #341
Mycroftwave

I don't seem to have this problem, as I use a binder that's double thickness and is tanktop length. Squares me out a whole lot and you should see the size of my hips and breasts without it. :P
Mycroftwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #342
wisecraxx
Tania C.

There are many things I've found that are small details but make a HUGE difference to when you are crossplaying.

1) If/when you buy clothing (especially pants), do NOT buy anything meant for women. Although you may be able to get away with it, buying a pair of male dress pants compared to female dress pants makes a HUGE difference. Not only that, but investing in a nice belt meant for men (like a solid, black one with a simple buckle) can also help in creating the appearance of being a man.

2) To minimize the appearance of your waist, aside from wearing pants lower than you may normally do so, padding there can make a difference in your silhouette and how a shirt/upper garment fits. If you don't go out and try and make "pads" to fit underneath your binding shirt, that's fine. One easy way to pad is buy making a double-layered "obi" that is at least 2-and-a-half/3 inches thick and maybe a yard long. Wrapping this around your waist (I've found that wrapping it around AFTER the compression shirt works best) and then duct-taping it/pinning it into place will not only hide the curve of your waist, it will also help with giving your a more masculine silhouette. Even though a loose shirt hides your waist to begin with, you will notice that fabric will cling to your body at times, and when this happens, there are times where you will see that your feminine shape/waist is exposed. After padding however, it gives the appearance that you have a straight torso. In order for this to work, the fabric must be relatively thick and wrapped around so that your waist is exactly in the center. Although the way I'm explaining it may make it seem tougher than it actually is, this is a relatively simple technique that you can use when you don't go through the trouble of using something else like craft foam yet effectively makes a difference. I'll add more onto this with pictures when I can.

3) Make-up is your best friend, TRUST ME on this one. By contouring your face, you can make a GREAT difference. Not only does it create the effect of a more masculine look, it can also help achieve a look that you are going for your character. Also, hiding pigmented lips by either covering them with foundation, concealer, or anything of the sort, will help reduce a girl-ish look and give you a face with uniform color within it. What I mean by this is that guys don't really have many colors in their face, and the parts that are emphasized are their eyes, nose, and forehead. Contouring your nose to make it look thinner and shadowing underneath eyebrows helps create a brooding, masculine look.

Make-up that you may have once considered to be a no-no in crossplay may actually not be the case. For example, guys actually have FULLER eyelashes than girls! Although I'm not telling you to go OVERBOARD with this one, using just a BIT of mascara where the lashes start can make a little difference. As for eyeliner, lining the top of your eyes in different shapes can help create different looks for different characters.

4) Posture and walking; taking up as much space as possible and walking with your feet equally apart from each other (with knees facing outwards) can make a huge difference. You can modify the way you walk and sit according to how your character would as well. Although this isn't ENTIRELY important, it helps. The way you interact with others helps too. Subtle things like patting people on the back or putting your hands in your pockets (assuming that your pants are low enough to give you a laid-back, masculine look) can emphasize the fact that you're a DUDE. XD

I'll go into more detail in a video or something, but this is just a few pointers I thought I'd like to share that I've learned over time. Things may be added and/or changed. XD

Next Convention: Otakon
----------------
Different Sites

Complete Cosplay List.

wisecraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #343
NiwaNiwa
Is eating your food

does anyone know of any good brands or places to get those body shaper things? x.x

i have a really big butt and my hips also mess up my cosplay..
i have that hourglass shape so my waist is really annoyingly defined... along with a fairly long torso

...would spanx work?

(sorry if it's been posted x.x i couldn't find anything)

planning stage!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...rbfao1_400.gif

If you were a pokemon, I'd choose you baby <3

Last edited by NiwaNiwa : 09-28-2011 at 06:54 PM.
NiwaNiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 01:57 AM   #344
rau11

After pregnant women always know about how i maintain my body or reduce my fat and get a perfect shape of my waist.
Handles is the biggest problem spot on the stomach. Once the excess fat fills the front, lower abdominal region to capacity. It starts spilling over to the waist and love handles!!!!
So, no one likes having a pair of flabby love handles, or a fat waist. It’s annoying, unattractive, and makes you very self-conscious. For men, it means not having the confidence to take off their shirt or do anything that involves showing their skin like going to the beach.
And, for women it means not being able to wear their favorite pair of jeans for fear their love handles will show, or their “muffin tops” will pop out. Or, being able to wear their favorite crop tops or belly shirts, as it will also expose their flabby love handles and waist.
But, it’s not just all about looks, as having a bulging waistline can also have an impact on your health’s waistline of 35 inches or more increases women’s risk of heart disease and diabetes. And, a waistline of larger than 40 inches increases the chance of heart disease and diabetes for men.
Love handles are a traditionally tough area to target. Unless you play tennis, the obliques are not used often in daily life. Fortunately, working the obliques with oblique’s exercises slims the waist and trims love handles.
Remember though, you also have to eat a sensible diet in order to shed excess cushioning. All the oblique exercises in the world won’t do a thing if you eat foods high in fats and refined carbohydrates, or if you don’t engage in daily cardio exercise.
Unread 10-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #345
ElvenSeamstress

Right. I'm cosplaying Jareth from the film Labyrinth...

If anyone doesn't know it, he's the Goblin King played by David Bowie. He wears leggings. LEGGINGS.

And to top it off, he has a rather... unmistakeable... package

any advice for pulling it off without looking like I have socks shoved down my trousers?

I'm planning on wearing control underwear that goes down to at least the knees (I'm wearing knee-high boots, that should mean I don't get bulges where the underwear finishes) and having the waistband on my hips. It's a really loose, floaty shirt, so that should hide my feminine waist- but I am concerned about getting The Package ok. It's practically an entire character by itself...

any tips?
ElvenSeamstress is offline   Reply With Quote