Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.92 average.
Unread 01-28-2004, 09:27 PM   #31
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Hmm...well, as the pants go, I would say, don't worry about the length for a moment and hunt up pants that fit you more nicely, and then lop off all that extra length and re-hem them. That is, if you can't make the pants from scratch, and are stuck with finding them. Hemming pants isn't really that difficult, in the end, and is probably worth the work if the rest of the pants don't make you look like a boy with a wide load.

Other ideas? Hmm....

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2004, 10:26 PM   #32
Cait

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp
Hmm...well, as the pants go, I would say, don't worry about the length for a moment and hunt up pants that fit you more nicely, and then lop off all that extra length and re-hem them. That is, if you can't make the pants from scratch, and are stuck with finding them. Hemming pants isn't really that difficult, in the end, and is probably worth the work if the rest of the pants don't make you look like a boy with a wide load.

Other ideas? Hmm....
*nods slowly* The trouble is, I guess, I'm a little enough person that I find it hard to find adult male clothes in my size... but, what would I look for, anyway? What cut? What style?
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2004, 12:13 AM   #33
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

If you are shopping instead of making from scratch....

You need to look for what's hard to find these days, given that guys' fashions have been so oriented toward the "real loose leg" look for quite a while. I don't know WHY 70's style pants (tighter at the thighs, but somewhat looser from the knee down) came back in fashion only for girls - the equivalent styles for boys gave them long skinny sexy legs!! (I'm old enough to remember!! (And it's one reason I often make lower-rise girls' pants pass for boys' - btw wearing boot-cut helps visually "take away" from the hip width.)

You might try to look for guys' pants labled "slim fit". They're starting to show up on shelves again. (I snatch 'em up for my husband when I can find them! ) They're actually not as slim as I'd like to see yet, but it's a trend in the right direction IMO...
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2004, 11:38 AM   #34
Kitsune_rei
Wandering fox spirit

I have the same sort of problem ^_^; My breasts aren't that big so are easy to squish, but my hips and butt are pretty obviously female.
I'd say this is more difficult in a tight outfit than a more layered or looser-fitting outfit, in order to do padding you'd have to wear something that conceals your mid-section well or it'll look funny, but padding will at least make you look more straight down the sides like a guy. Also you should probably be sure to take extra padding into account when you're making your costume or picking sizes, since your waist will be broader.
I may do a little padding, but I don't care that much that people know I'm female, I think my face pretty much gives it away anyway since there's not that much I can do to change it. The character I wanted to do looks pretty femme anyway.
Was definately interesting reading through the thread though ^_^. I'll remember the standing tips for when I cosplay!
Will probably only be cosplaying Sat if you want to snag me for photo shoot.
Will be living at Artist Alley table H7-H9 w/ Chaos Control group
Kitsune_rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2004, 02:45 AM   #35
Animeloilpop
Strawberry pops

i have a problem my butt and hip are really big well not really but you get the point pading is out of the question because most of my belly will show. beside my chest and hips/butt i could so pass as a boy i'll get a pic so you know what i'm talking about but if you seen gravitation it the outfit of shuichi on the second dvd i believe

thank you all if you can help me.
Animeloilpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2004, 03:20 PM   #36
ArashiSakura
Not weird just unique

I'm going to be lazy and not read all the other posts, but How do you get rid of an hourglass shape? I know how to bind my chest and stuff but how do you get rid of hips and a slim waist?
ArashiSakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2004, 02:06 AM   #37
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Peeving your Friendly Neighborhood Mod 101

It won't kill you (or take a year and a day) to read the other posts. ;( That's WHY this thread (and others like it) are "sticky" - so that people who have the answers won't have to post the same thing OVER AND OVER ad nauseum. >.<
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2004, 12:49 PM   #38
aki_no_kitsune

I wonder if tight-fitting *non-casual* jeans or ACE bandages would help to narrow down the thighs... I can manage with a loose shirt tied low at the hips (because it looks better that way than hanging loose all the way) to cover my girlish hips, but thighs... *sigh*
Losing weight is pretty much out of question, since I think I'd have to lose pretty much to get my legs thinner and my weight index is barely in "normal weight" as it is. Well, more running up and down the stairs... all the way to the 4th floor.
aki_no_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2004, 04:18 PM   #39
mukino_kuneka

I'm not at all confident about crossplaying Riku from Kingdom Hearts. Not only do I have to do lots of pushups to emphasize my arm muscles (where are they? ARGH!), but from almost every single angle he has absolutely NO hips, and a VERY skinny waist. Another factor that bothers me is that his shirt is very form-fitting.

Is there any way at all I can pull it off? Would it be a good idea to pad my waist, or just make the shirt so that it's *baggy* and conceals my waist?

Reference:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg riku-cg-character-model.jpg (139.4 KB, 0 views)
mukino_kuneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2004, 01:14 PM   #40
xie-chan
Suzaku Sichiseishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukino_kuneka
I'm not at all confident about crossplaying Riku from Kingdom Hearts. Not only do I have to do lots of pushups to emphasize my arm muscles (where are they? ARGH!), but from almost every single angle he has absolutely NO hips, and a VERY skinny waist. Another factor that bothers me is that his shirt is very form-fitting.

Is there any way at all I can pull it off? Would it be a good idea to pad my waist, or just make the shirt so that it's *baggy* and conceals my waist?

Reference:
I'd pad my waist maybe if I were you, just a little, and you could do it smoothly too
Unread 06-29-2004, 09:25 PM   #41
mukino_kuneka

Would foam work for smooth padding?
mukino_kuneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2004, 12:24 AM   #42
miaka2u
In Search of a Full Moon

I was wondering if you guys could tell me if I could pull off my figure as Van Fanel. He has absolutely no butt or hips, and me, well, I'm obviously a girl with the completely opposite figure. ^^

I took this picture mainly to show the zipper I tried to hide on the "perfect" Van pants. I didn't bind (but that'll be no problem I can go almost perfectly flat) so, um... yea ignore that, but I tried making the shirt lose so it'd help hide my waist and also to help make my shoulders look bigger.

Tell me what you think (these pictures weren't intended for this purpose so you can see my long hair is there and my hands are on my hips... Sorry) And this cosplay is just in the starting stages, so it's BY FAR finished:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....at=8438&page=1
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....at=8438&page=1
miaka2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2004, 01:41 PM   #43
xie-chan
Suzaku Sichiseishi

The first picture looks really good.. there aren't really noticeable curves from what I saw... How'd you do that? o.O *poke*

In the second picture, the hips are more noticeable I think in part because of how you're standing.

I'm not really sure what advice to offer though, I'm still trying to figure out this silly smaller hip thing myself...
Unread 07-21-2004, 09:36 AM   #44
Einthedatadog
Was that a giant clam?!

this is why i am glad that i have a more boyish body ;_;
Einthedatadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2004, 09:33 PM   #45
Fluffy-chan
Texas Star

Everyone will probably get mad at me for saying this, but, Oh well!

Every character I've done has been a male. I'm just glad that I don't have to worry about anything like that. Hehehe!

For starters, I have no chest. Well maybe a little but nothing that can't be easily concealed. I have no hips either and I have little to no butt. I'm also very slender so I get to have more likenesses to most anime guys.

I don't mind because I've always been into crossplay cause it's fun!

I think it's funny when they think I'm a pretty boy! One time at a con, there were these girls flirting with me.

I thought that was sooo funny!

(some of you are probably like "ewww")

On second thought, maybe they really knew I was a girl! (scary)
Fluffy-chan is offline   Reply With Quote