Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 66 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 12-16-2004, 07:57 PM   #61
wulfmune
hyper repair!

i would think using a body shaper would be the best bet for minimizing lower body. (smooths and tightens contours) try to squeezing into one thats a little small on you. ace bandages flatten, but they also add width, so it seems like it wouldn't do that much for the lower body unless you wrapped yourself veeery very tight, which i can't imagine would be good for movement or circulation. cut/fit of the pants and angle/pose will probably make the biggest difference as far as minimizing though.
wulfmune is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2005, 07:56 PM   #62
Beware_UY7
Reckless Youth

I'm wondering... has anyone here tried using compression shorts designed for pre-op female>male transexuals? If you look for it, there's all sorts of nifty shaping garments that could possibly be pretty awesome... but I was wondering if someone had tried anything like this...
Currently I boy-ify my figure with a compression vest (available from the same sort that sell other pre-op figure shaping garments) and men's sport compression shorts (you can buy them in the baseball section of any sporting goods or big box store...) ... and its worked well enough that I get away with boyishness pretty well (I cosplayed Slade Deathstroke Wilson from Teen Titans.... and it was interesting to see people's reactions when I took off the mask/helmet-y... thing... thing.), but I'm always looking for someting that works better, y'know?
Especially since my next crossplay will be another spandexy nightmare...
Unread 01-31-2005, 01:44 AM   #63
Angel Tifa
Survivor of Horror 4-ever

Sorry I haven't read the thread. Is there any suggestions for flattenening busts? I want to crossplay as Cloud Strife or Miki Kaoru, but my breast are too big .
Angel Tifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2005, 12:06 PM   #64
corvussolivagus
Studious Student.

Look Around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Tifa
Sorry I haven't read the thread. Is there any suggestions for flattenening busts? I want to crossplay as Cloud Strife or Miki Kaoru, but my breast are too big .
Look at the thread on binding. The entire thing is about chest-flattening.
Unread 04-02-2005, 01:54 AM   #65
DivineSage
Formerly OokamiTsuki

Hey. I know this thread is all about lessening your waists, butts, etc., but I was hoping for some specific tips. I'm planning on crossplaying chaos from Xenosaga for AX:

http://www.gaming-media.com/rpg/xeno...ages/chaos.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...carchase12.jpg

I was wondering... since it's like a black bodysuit... how do I pull it off? If it requires padding (which I'm guessing it will) can I have a tutorial? Thanks.
DivineSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2005, 07:04 PM   #66
codi
I'mma shake and bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scortia
And in addition... running, running, and more running... exercise can help. Binding is your friend... sports bra, ace bandage, bingo. ;p
These are awesome, awesome tips everyone, so thanks for the ideas. ^o^

However, I am not cosplaying a guy... I'm cosplaying as a 12-yr old boy. (Bao from King of Fighters)
see this picture
this one too

I'm working on the exercise, oh believe me. But I still have big hips/smaller (I didn't say small as I'd like, but proportionally speaking, it reminds me of the guy at the end of the Beetlejuice movie with the shrunken head/big body. XD) waist regardless. Do you think, because of the way the costume is designed, I should go for padding my waist? If so, what would be the best item to use for it? (looking for brand name, etc.) Thank you ~_~;

It is a new year and the dawning of a new day. Should you decide to fight with us, you shall survive in the aftermath known as the Armageddicon.

Anime Punch! The Armageddicon
April 10-12, 2009
Join us.

Last edited by codi : 04-15-2005 at 07:10 PM. Reason: haha what a crappy reference.
codi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #67
TenshiKaitou
Lurker As$hole

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t/PIC_0078.jpg

gawwh, I have fat thighs! See below! See see! What to do...? T___T
though I can hide them with my coat, but there are certain poses like this that absolutely ruin the effect. What to do? What to do?

On the other hand, I'm 'blessed' with small breasts?!

P.S Should I add shoulder pads for better visual?
TenshiKaitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2005, 02:48 PM   #68
Aelia
Fanime Rover

Running is your friend as far as your legs are concerned, but there's still the pesky fat on the inner thigh... any suggestions for this from anyone?

Tenshi:
With the way the shadows fall, that actually doesn't look too bad, but if you're very worried, try another pose, widen the distance between your feet a bit, it'll make more of a gap appear between your legs, making them a bit thinner looking. (you can't widen it too much, or you'll just look silly, so this has limited practical application)

I don't know about the hips thing, because... once you have them, there's no way to get rid of them, you just have to visually change your shape, use fabric patterns, create optical illusions, think "I HAVE NO WAIST" ~_^

My biggest issue is my butt, I think, but there's no fat to speak of that I can take off. Any suggestions from folks on ways to hide that?

Edit:
I hear speak of compression tops. Well... are there any that have been tried and really work?

Last edited by Aelia : 06-19-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Aelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2005, 11:06 PM   #69
Mugiwara

I've personally found that stairs are a great way of working out your upper legs. I took Irish dancing for three years, so I've still got some nice shape left over from that, too. ^^;; (Good lord, if you want good cardiac and leg excercise, take up Irish dancing... ouch.)
My biggest problem with crossplaying is actually that i'm so skinny - I've got broadish, very square shoulders and essentially no chest, but it means that i have a half hour-glass figure: nothingnothingnothingHIPS!!

My costume this year won't allow for much padding/messing with waist -age if i plan to wear it without the undershirt (which i hope to - anyone know anything about doing open-shirted costumes...? Double-stick tape...?). Luckily for me the main feature of the outfit is a loose trenchcoat, so that should help cover some sticky-out-bits.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...hisoka_200.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...o/12_03_20.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...o/08_08_21.jpg

As for body language, I have gotten so many compliments on how I walk in-character. ^_^ My advice is just to get a feel for how the character's personality would affect their walk, and try it out around town! <3 Are they arrogant? Then stride. Shy? Lope. Silly? Walk bow-legged. I've gone as both Luffy from One Piece and Karasu from Yuu Yuu Hakusho in one convention, and nobody recognised me at all once I switched.

[EDIT] Just read the sticky on binding - Sports Tape, here I come!

Last edited by Mugiwara : 06-20-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Mugiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2005, 05:05 PM   #70
TenshiKaitou
Lurker As$hole

To Mugiwara: Walking up the stairs...? aw, mendoukuse na...but for the sake of cosplay (decides to drag lazy ass up stairs instead) ...

And you has done Luffy before? I'm goin to do it too! But I kinda done the vest too tight, and no matter how tight I bind my chest, it still stuck out quiye visibly. I was thinking of adding another layer to the waist to even out the figure, and I looked like a slightly bloated Luffy in the end, oh well... >.<;;

P.S I wish I was able to see how you walked for Luffy! It would be fun! XD
TenshiKaitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2005, 11:55 AM   #71
Agent Conzilla
Majickal Tofu

I have an ass...And I want to crossplay as Die, who has zippidy doo dah, zilch, nothing, nada, in the ways of Buttness --;

I wanna do the Myaku outfit. He wears like three belts, so I dont think I'd need to pad my small-as-hell waist ...But I'm not really sure. Should I? ( I've got 28", which is a curse, not a gift).

http://members19.clubphoto.com/kaede...23/guest.phtml <- Pictures of the outfit, yay! I haven't started making it yet though @@;; I just have most of it planned...and luckily the means to make the metal accents xD (Carparts. Yes. Carparts. Don't you look at me like that, it's going to work. I'll make it work.).

Mah Deviant Art Gallery.
Agent Conzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2005, 10:17 PM   #72
Ishy
!Pandroid!

Hey Everyone! I am definitely trying to make my Faust (fromg Guilty Gear) costume look right, the problem? He is 9 feet tall and has HUGE shoulders (disproportionatley so). I have been using hockey chest and shoulder padding and trying to fit my costume around that, but I am not sure if that is the best wayt to go about it. Does anyone have any recommendations for making huge shoulders? Or should I just stick with the hockey gear?

Kuma Cool Summer!

We here at the sound institute have invented a reliable audio weapons system.
Ishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2005, 11:56 PM   #73
Ayame0
Psycho J-rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Conzilla
I have an ass...And I want to crossplay as Die, who has zippidy doo dah, zilch, nothing, nada, in the ways of Buttness --;

I wanna do the Myaku outfit. He wears like three belts, so I dont think I'd need to pad my small-as-hell waist ...But I'm not really sure. Should I? ( I've got 28", which is a curse, not a gift).

http://members19.clubphoto.com/kaede...23/guest.phtml <- Pictures of the outfit, yay! I haven't started making it yet though @@;; I just have most of it planned...and luckily the means to make the metal accents xD (Carparts. Yes. Carparts. Don't you look at me like that, it's going to work. I'll make it work.).
It's true that Die has absolutely _no_ ass. But with Myaku, you should be fine (btw, the link doesn't work, I just know the costume a lot ^^). Also, Die is very very skinny, which means that his waist is probably about as small as yours (actually, I think it's 30" or 34") so you should be fine there too, as long as it doesn't look weird.
Weird:
|000000|
|00|
|0000| (extremely small waist, in the costume) Btw, a small waist is not a curse XD

--Costumes:--
Surprise: 0%
Ritsuka (Opening, black vers.): 100%
Raison D'etre Kyo: 100%
Ayame0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #74
Agent Conzilla
Majickal Tofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayame0
Btw, a small waist is not a curse XD
Lmao. XD It is too when you're trying to shop for jeans ;-; Danke though ^^

Mah Deviant Art Gallery.
Agent Conzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 02:03 PM   #75
Shota
.s.h.o.t.a.p.h.i.l.e.

Hm, okay, so I have quite a large butt. It's the biggest problem with my body. It just... sticks out. I was wondering if there are any specific excersizes I can do to make my butt look smaller? Because I can't walk everyday, and I don't have stairs in my house. I need something I can do inside the house, that will still be effect.