Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 04-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #121
salazar
oh, schist...

for the narrow shouldered people: if you have the time or inclination, one way to increase the dimensions of your shoulders is to build up your deltoid muscles (the upper part of the arm/shoulder). look up excercises online, there's an endless supply of them. i got really fast results when i started, which was nice ^.^. another plus: this muscle group is one that i've noticed is generally emphasized in manga/anime.

member: uncouth (un)ltd. cosplay group

〜みんあで歌おうゲゲゲのゲ〜
salazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #122
VII Fangirl
AerithReborn

Bah... I think I'm cursed. To start, I'm 5'2" with a 38" hip at 110 lbs. I've bought and worn those thigh control shorts, dance tights, unitard, and tight pants all at the same time. And do you know what happens?

I get the best damn chick ass evar.

It's great for things like Jenova, but useless for Roxas and his anti-ass (he destroys the asses of those around him). I understand that half of my problem is the way I was standing (ankles together isn't flattering to any gender), but it's the hipbone itself that's a problem, not fat.

Oh, and pants are evil. I can't find anything without a tapered leg. Thank god that Roxas has those wide leg pants to hide my thighs in. Skinny jeans just make me look girly...

AnimeFEST:
`Chichiri - Fushigi Yuugi
`Erika - Pokemon Fire Red/ Leaf Green
`Cosmos - Final Fantasy Dissidia

Proud member of Detail 2 Perfect
VII Fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 12:05 AM   #123
Digitallica
kendraphoto.com

I crossplay, a lot.
And it's difficult because I've got very noticable hips and I've got to bind a -lot.-

I haven't had much success with a bair of hip-slimming shorts, and I've learned that the only way to really get away with a good crossplay when you aren't stick thin, is to have a top that is incredible long, or a baggy outfit. I have a jumpsuit that makes me look very boyish, which I'm slowly converting into my Harry Macdougall Racing outfit.

The kind of outfit you do, is a huge factor in how well the crossplay is. Fortunately for me, I only cosplay pretty boys...so half the battle is already won.

Digitallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 12:09 AM   #124
RedeadDie
IMMA ZOMBIE

Surprisingly, there's quite a few guys in anime/games/etc. who have outfits that can make you look slimmer in the thigh department just by wearing the outfit. Truth be told, black is actually slimming. (Even though we've heard it a million times.) From my what I've done, cloak and trench coat like crossplays thin you out more and the darker the better. (Too bad my next crossplay is Xemnas's Final Form. White mainly.)
~Louis Despatis: Honor Amongst Thieves~
~Elliot March: Clover/Joker/Heart no Kuni no Alice~

Last edited by RedeadDie : 04-12-2007 at 12:12 AM.
RedeadDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #125
Bilbaro
AKA: Spoofehness

Aw bugger... My brother actually told me at one point when I bought heels for a costume that I "walk like a guy" and he actually had to teach me how to walk like a girl. Unfortunately, despite all masculine tendencies, the mandatory long-hair I've had since birth has prevented any complimentary gender-blending on my part. I remember Karisu-sama saying at one point that her hips were actually only three or four inches larger than her husbands, and instead the difference was in the waist. Men in general have shorter torsos than women (its REALLY obvious in female body builders) and they're often wider, but you can escape that since its really just another assumption of society. If you're healthy and muscular, all you need to do is stand tall, bind yourself, and keep a steriotypically male haircut and you'd be surprised what pronouns people are calling you.
-Classified- - Death note

I will never be Satisfied. But I will always be Satiated.
Bilbaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #126
NaughtsApproach

I have wide hips..but I can't slim them cause you can still see my hip bones...>.>....like freaking Kuja hips is what I have!
you can't really use ace bandage to hide the wide of your hip bones..and I dont really want to pad my waist so I have to deal with it.
NaughtsApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #127
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

>.>...that was me...My sister NEVER logs out after she is done!

NDK Cosplay list:
Sailor Cosmos - sailor moon
Secret WCS cosplay <3
season one sailor moon (husband as Tuxedo Mask <3)
and maaaaybe FEM!Lucifer from supernatural
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 02:23 AM   #128
genevievedee

Here I will demonstrate the awesome power of stretchy jeans and a t-shirt. So, I have a 26" waist and 36" hips. However, I was BLESSED with extremely wide, square shoulders which REALLY helps the illusion of creating a masculine body by widening your waist and lengthening your torso. If you have narrow shoulders, PAD THEM.

This year at ComiCon I will be going as Wilbur Robinson from Meet the Robinsons. Yeah, very scrawny thirteen-year-old boy. Yikes. At least I'm fairly scrawny myself. Luckily with my build and the help of costuming illusions it's very possible. I have 16% body fat (18 BMI) which is the BARE minimum for women so exercising to lose hip fat is out of the question. If you feel my hips, there's no fat there, it's all bone. It's not going to go away.

SO today I went shopping for jeans for my costume and I should have paid more attention to the style and size that I bought because at the time I had no idea how much that influenced my bodily shape until I read this thread. Luckily I picked out a pair that I think will be PERFECT.

Here's a photo of the way the jeans I picked out today are supposed to be worn and it also shows my hourglass shape. These are stretchy jeans with narrow legs but they're not skinny jeans. It didn't specify the exact style on the tag. They fit my hips and thighs snugly but there's a couple inches of room around the waist. Which allows me to do this...

First, some "before" pictures.
My "shelf" hips: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../5-9-07005.jpg
The typical "S" shape that girls take on:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../5-9-07011.jpg

The create the illusion of boy hips - make sure your pants are loose enough to pull down a couple inches but tight enough to stay on your hips. Luckily I'm going to be tucking my shirt in which widens my waist and I'll be wearing a belt so it'll add some extra anti-pants-fall-down factor plus the belt will be going around my hips so I can even use it to slim them down even more (as long as it doesn't hinder my movement). Just pull down the pants so the crotch sits an inch-and-a-half to two inches lower than your own crotch. The idea is to let your shirt hide your narrow waist (this may even work for shirts that are not tucked in), to make your thighs appear more slender, and to make your torso longer.

Like so:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../5-9-07006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../5-9-07009.jpg
The 3/4 view that was mentioned. Note that I even have my hip cocked and I still look boy-shaped!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../5-9-07007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../5-9-07010.jpg
Tiny boy butt:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../5-9-07008.jpg

I'm going to buy a chest compression shirt to help with my chest and the girly pudge on my tummy. I may even make some sort of padding for the sides of my waist and put that under the compression shirt.

I'll come back here and show pictures of my costume while I work on it.
genevievedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #129
ballet shoes
candy holic

My figure is extremely hour glass so I'm a little worried about my Shuichi costume (the concert outfit) as his stomach is and therefore hips are extremely exposed but hopefully I'll find a way!
ballet shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #130
DinoThnderBlack

My problem/question is this: I've got a big butt. Yup. Biiig ghetto booty, junk in my trunk, and so on. I also have quite impressive birthing hips. Due to the fact that I have PCOS, which by default deposits ALL of my blubber to my backside, hips and thighs, there's not really much I can do about it. Exercise does very little, it's a genetic thing, lucky me. -_-

At least I have practically no breasts of which to speak. This is the one time when that fact pleases me.

So, for a girl like me who wants to crossplay as a guy (in head-to-toe spandex, no less)... How do I rein in my booty and tummy pooch? I can try standing as suggested, but clearly I'm going to need some sort of extremely heavy-duty compression garment to at least keep most of the flab under control. (Alas, I'm not made of money right now, so while I'll listen to all suggestions, I'll love you if you can provide a reasonably low-cost one.)

I look fine from the neck to the waist, but courtesy of my EVIL ovaries and endocrine system, everything between waist and knees is... in need of some help. And it needs this help very, very quickly, because my con is rapidly approaching.
DinoThnderBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #131
Hyuuga Tenten
Cleverness is not Wisdom

Yea how do you do all the padding and posing with lose pants if the character your crossplaying wheres almost skintight everything except for the armor how would I do that?

------->http://photobucket.com/mediadetail/?...o&pageOffset=3

thats him ...... *sigh*

"Do not go where the path may lead, go insted where there is no path and leave a trail."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~
Hyuuga Tenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #132
Bree The V.
Cosplayer Extraordinaire

I'm not sure if someone already asked this before, I went through the thread and looked around, but didn't find anything about bottoms.

My butt is disproportional to my body. In other words, it's just HUGE. It's the true definition of badonkadonk.

What can I do to make it smaller?

Last edited by Bree The V. : 06-19-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Bree The V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #133
this_chick25
Eatin' your Jell-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoThnderBlack View Post
How do I rein in my booty and tummy pooch? I can try standing as suggested, but clearly I'm going to need some sort of extremely heavy-duty compression garment to at least keep most of the flab under control. (Alas, I'm not made of money right now, so while I'll listen to all suggestions, I'll love you if you can provide a reasonably low-cost one.)
I'm working on the same thing myself--I thought of taping the old boo-tay to hold it in, but the eventual calling of nature prevents that particular option from being possible... Looks like the only available way to go there are those shaping briefs. Since I have a "musclebutt" (BIG for my size, but very little fat content), I'm not sure how effective THAT will even be...

You can, however, tape the "tummy pooch" (heh, my mom calls it that too!) to get a smoother line. My aunt did that as an addition to her workout routine to actually shape her waist; she says it works like a "sweat band" and helps you to lose additional weight while shaping you at the same time. Use the widest sports tape you can find, and practice in advance of wearing it to the con.

Compression garments aren't really expensive either (vs. sports tape over the long run)--you can get a decent one for about $30 (shipping may add to the cost) if you do the research. Since you can only use sports tape once (and sometimes have to use a whole roll at one go), $2-$3 a roll adds up if you're going to do a lot of binding in the future.

::le sigh::
I need an equally-talented clone of myself.

Last edited by this_chick25 : 06-19-2007 at 02:25 PM.
this_chick25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #134
kabuki_ikenie
Super Collider

i discovered something the other day... since i'm doing a bare chested male character as my next costume, i did a tight shirt for simulating bare skin... since i'm very curvy and i do have huge hips, i looked awful... SO the solution i saw was this:

elongate the torso by simulating a higher chest...

how to do this? first, find the place where your waist ends, it should look like the "birth" of the curve that starts your hips (it's like from the belly-button)... you must hide that curve (and with that your hips and butt), so every piece of bottom clothing (pants, shorts) must hang in that area (or a little bit down)... is your butt is thick (like mine) or if you have big hips, pants should be a little bit loose on that area, and should be "bootleg": narrow at the knees, wide bottoms... this way you can balance how your legs look...

i do use slimming garments beneath everything, esp. my legs

now with the top: binding is essential. since female chest drops lower than male chest, try to pad or to rise your chest a bit higher. shoulder pads or a little bit of foam can work as fake chest muscles, esp beneath the skin shirt... and if you're going to do a bare-chested character, every little detail (ie nipples) can work in giving the illusion of a higher chest

SOS-project coming soon! no, it's not about haruhiism XD

cosplay.com chilean edition: "we're many and we're manly!" :cobracool:
kabuki_ikenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2007, 09:45 AM   #135
MugenChick1317

I was wondering if anyone could maybe put my mind at ease? I don't know.

Cross-playing Mugen from Samurai Champloo. My costume commissioner took my measurements, and is making my costume to fit me. Although, his usual costume is still very baggy in the shorts, shirt, and coat. I'm 5'2, and I will admit, I am a plus sized cosplayer. I'm not sure if my hips are real big, I think I have seen bigger, and I have always thought my shoulders to be broad (but I could be wrong). Since Mugen's costume is baggy overall, should I do anything to my hips or shoulders? Would it be a big significance, as in, someone noticing? I really can't put my mind at ease until I get my costume, and I won't get that for another 2-3 weeks. And my con is coming up soon. I also have a limited budget, I literally blew most of my cash on the costume itself. Any tips would help, cause this is my first time cosplaying/cross-playing ever.

Future conventions: MechaCon 4.0 (August 1-3 2008)
Crossplaying: Mugen (Samurai Champloo)
Crossplaying: Raver Mugen
Fasalina (Gun x Sword)
Natasha (My OC Cowboy Bebop character)
Nanako (My OC Naruto character )

I am a plus sized cosplayer. Don't like it, deal with it!
MugenChick1317 is offline   Reply With Quote