Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 10-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
flammingcorn

Exclamation LARP character help

This MAY belong in the crossplay section, but I'm not sure. It involves an original character of mine, so I thought I'd post it here...

Anyway, I've been trying to organize a local LARP that takes place in a sci-fi setting. Other than planning and organizing things, I also thought I'd get involved as a minor character. I'm the creative type though, and tend to go overboard with making characters. SO I make this character, right? I do some concept art and get to work with making my costume even though I haven't even got the LARP anywhere close to actually happening yet...and I'm already coming across problems.

I can't make female characters well, and crossplay frequently, so it came pretty naturally to me to make a male (or seemingly male) LARP character. To make things a little easier, I even decided to make them of unknown gender and only seeming male. That way I could get away with an androgynous look.

Unfortunately, the costume consists of mostly spandex. I've gained some weight, and am VERY short and compact anyway. I also have these MONSTER HIPS. Needless to say, I was pretty much still looking VERY female. Er...here, just look for yourself:

So yeah, I was going for a badass look like this or this...and I just ended up looking like a dork. Is there any way I can save this costume? what can I do to achieve a more masculine or at least androgynous look? HELP PLEASE! D: Thanks!

---

Current cosplays I'm doing:
Grell Sutcliff
Sheik
Walter Kovacs
Humanized Spades Slick

Current cosplays I'm working on:
NONE
flammingcorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
CJohn

Honestly, this character would look badass as either man or woman. But that's not the answer you're looking for.

Do something with the straps on the side of the mask. To me it suggests pigtails, and it would seem more androgynous without. Other than that, you could try doing something to fill out areas lower than others.
CJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Turtle528

You could pad your sides - you know, to camouflage the shape of a female figure. You could also add some sort of utility belt and change the shoes to more masculine looking ones, such as doc martins.
Turtle528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
MehiraDeOro

I agree with the shoes being a little too feminine, maybe try like an army surplus store for boots? Or a second hand store

Maybe some knee/elbow pads that are painted like armor? Shin quards (for Soccer) that are painted or something glued on to it to give that armored look.

You can even make some simple armor pieces using craft foam, there's TONS of tutorials on how to use it. The craft foam you can get from walmart for $1-$2 per sheet. You can also use worbla foam, which is better for armor, but SUPER expensive.

Last edited by MehiraDeOro : 05-19-2013 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Thought of another suggestion
MehiraDeOro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Zhor'Fughakee
Infantry Skirmisher

If you want it more masculine you might need to buy some military Gear, like a belt with pouches or something also, try to avoid boots with heels... If you want it even more masculine, you could wear black military pants but it depends of your personnal tastes on that, but military pants are the best if you want to make your hips look less feminine.

See, here's me wearing my gear and we don't see my curves that much :

423823_453567701404836_401118482_n.jpg
Unread 08-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #6
Mae Bliss

If you make the hood covering your chest as shown in the concept art, that should help a lot. Also chunkier boots as PPs suggested.
Mae Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote