Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 01-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
MiaMokona

Diet and Exercise Questions Answered!

Hello cosplayers!

I've noticed some people on here posting incorrect information, and it bothers me that people are getting wrong information :s

I am an employee at a gym and it is my job to have extensive knowledge about niet/nutrition and exercise! If you have and particular questions, feel free to ask me and I will help you to the best of my ability, and if I feel I cannot sufficiently answer your question, I will direct you to where ou might be able to find better answers
Undecided
MiaMokona is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
MiaMokona

A bit of information to start it off:

Eating at night makes you gain weight?
Not exactly. When ou sleep, your metabolism slowed in order to help your body recover from its day, especially of youve been working out. Therefore, it is goin to store any calories you've consumed directly before hand instead of burning them. Good rule? Don't eat less than 2 hours before you plan on sleeping.
OR set a time for yourself (don't eat past 7pm) this cuts the amount of time you will be consuming calories, therefore you will consume less.
Undecided
Unread 01-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Shiizuma
The Pragmatic Realist

Hello there, just a simple question I've always wondered about. ^^ Is it better to work out in the morning or at night? The only times I am able to work out are right before I get ready for the day and right before I go to bed. Which one would be better, aka burn more calories? Or maybe both are better? Always been curious to know.
Shiizuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
MiaMokona

Working out at a certain time of day won't burn more calories during our workout, but between the two, I would say workout in the morning. After you finish a workout, your body and metabolism are running at top condition from your workout. Your afterburn of calories will lay through about half the day. It's not going to make a gigantic difference, but overall, you will burn slightly more calories through the day and your body will process proteins and food a bit better. You will also be more awake and through the day and your body should feel pretty good. You might also even get a better nights sleep

But those days when you can only work it out at night? Don't stress it. Like I said, it's not THAT big of a difference just a slight advantage.

If you do work out in the morning, be sure to have a protein, nutritious meal afterward to help your body recover properly and last better throughout the day
Undecided
Unread 01-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Shiizuma
The Pragmatic Realist

Wonderful ^.^ Thank you~
Shiizuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
ne0ven0m
Dr. Feelgood

OP, I like you. I hope that you're not daunted by the task that lies ahead of you.

2014 Plans: Winter Soldier mashup, Deathstroke, Deadpool/Adventure Time mash-up, TBD

My Blog:http://ne0ven0m.wordpress.com/
ne0ven0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
Midnight Raine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMokona View Post
A bit of information to start it off:

Eating at night makes you gain weight?
Not exactly. When ou sleep, your metabolism slowed in order to help your body recover from its day, especially of youve been working out. Therefore, it is goin to store any calories you've consumed directly before hand instead of burning them. Good rule? Don't eat less than 2 hours before you plan on sleeping.
Hold up for a second. This makes no sense to me.

Certainly, people will gain weight if they make a habit of eating a lot of food at night, after they've already eaten during the day. But if they're consuming a constant amount - say, 2,000 calories - why would it make any difference whether they had 800 of those calories right before sleeping, compared to five hours earlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiizuma View Post
Hello there, just a simple question I've always wondered about. ^^ Is it better to work out in the morning or at night? The only times I am able to work out are right before I get ready for the day and right before I go to bed. Which one would be better, aka burn more calories? Or maybe both are better? Always been curious to know.
While I'm in here, I feel inclined to answer this, because there's a very good solution that I'll mention in a second.

Now, most studies find a peak in strength levels in the afternoon to early evening; how well this would translate to aerobic activity is unclear, but it seems reasonable to assume a beneficial effect. In addition, ingestion of carbohydrate prior to aerobic exercise has been shown to improve exercise intensity. This obviously isn't related to circadian rhythm; rather, it is a condition that you are more likely to be subject to later in the day.

But there's a better answer. You can test this for yourself, and determine beyond any doubt what is most effective for your goal.

Find an elliptical or stationary bike (or almost anything that isn't a treadmill or stair-stepper) that offers an output kilojoules. 1 kJ is roughly equivalent to 1 Calorie burned, for your purposes. You can also do this with watt or calorie outputs, given that those scale with energy input on such machines.

Use the machine for a set amount of time, at a specific level of perceived exertion - that is, always work at what you perceive to be the same level of intensity. Do this several times, on the same machine, at different times of day (on separate days, of course), and record the results. You will then be able to directly observe the percentage difference in energy expenditure at these different times. Simply choose the period that produces the highest value of energy input. If they're all identical, then time of day would not matter.
Colossalcon
Otakon (... possibly)
Youmacon
Midnight Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
FortuneCookie
Legen-wait for it-DARY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Raine View Post
Hold up for a second. This makes no sense to me.

Certainly, people will gain weight if they make a habit of eating a lot of food at night, after they've already eaten during the day. But if they're consuming a constant amount - say, 2,000 calories - why would it make any difference whether they had 800 of those calories right before sleeping, compared to five hours earlier?

MiaMokona I know this is your thread so I apologize in advance for the response. I also work as a fitness trainer so felt I could add some input. If you'd like, I can take this post out if you'd like it to remain uncluttered by other opinions. Just trying to help!

I can help answer this. Its about balance. If you've managed to eat only about 60% of your caloric need for the day before its almost time to sleep, your body is going to be starving, especially if you add any sort of exercise to your daily routine. Your body will be feeding off of itself, not burning fat because your body thinks its starving, but taking from your muscles (easier energy to ingest and keeping the fat reserves). Then if you decide to eat a lot at night before bed, you are ingesting many calories and whatever other elements of the food that come with it (fat, carbs, etc) into a slower metabolic environment and your body will store the calories as fat because it has been starved. So even while ingesting the same amount of calories, you can be doing a disservice to the body.

The best way to up break up intake of calories is to eat every two-three hours, smaller portions (200-500 calories/snack-meal), healthy choices, and stop eating 2-3 hours before bed. This will keep your metabolism high and not have your body feel its starving. It will also train your body to eat less per meal so you don't binge on food at one sitting.

I can attest personally to this method of dieting! I've lost weight equivalent to a 7th grader jumping out of my body and running away
FortuneCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Seority
Love and tolerance.

I'm trying to lose my extra pounds by doing some light exercising periodicity through the day. (Morning, Afternoon and Night) My goal isn't in pounds, but just in looks. I really want to achieve abs. I am a female though and I know it's a little harder for us to get these. I was wondering if you had any tips or special work-out tips for me? I'm also having trouble getting rid of my "love-handles". I work out at home and with no equipment. Any help is appreciated. ^-^
Seority is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
Midnight Raine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortuneCookie View Post
MiaMokona I know this is your thread so I apologize in advance for the response. I also work as a fitness trainer so felt I could add some input. If you'd like, I can take this post out if you'd like it to remain uncluttered by other opinions. Just trying to help!

I can help answer this. Its about balance. If you've managed to eat only about 60% of your caloric need for the day before its almost time to sleep, your body is going to be starving, especially if you add any sort of exercise to your daily routine. Your body will be feeding off of itself, not burning fat because your body thinks its starving, but taking from your muscles (easier energy to ingest and keeping the fat reserves). Then if you decide to eat a lot at night before bed, you are ingesting many calories and whatever other elements of the food that come with it (fat, carbs, etc) into a slower metabolic environment and your body will store the calories as fat because it has been starved. So even while ingesting the same amount of calories, you can be doing a disservice to the body.

The best way to up break up intake of calories is to eat every two-three hours, smaller portions (200-500 calories/snack-meal), healthy choices, and stop eating 2-3 hours before bed. This will keep your metabolism high and not have your body feel its starving. It will also train your body to eat less per meal so you don't binge on food at one sitting.

I can attest personally to this method of dieting! I've lost weight equivalent to a 7th grader jumping out of my body and running away
This wouldn't make sense, either, though. Starvation-related adaptations such as a decrease in metabolic rate do not occur in humans until at least a couple of days of complete food deprivation. Consuming 60% of one's usual intake over the course of 24 hours is certainly not going to elicit such a response, I can assure you.

And regarding the proposed increase in muscle catabolism, I've never seen any credible evidence that the short-term increase in net protein breakdown during hypocaloric periods is not offset by the corresponding period of net protein synthesis during hypercaloric periods, provided that the time periods involved are at all reasonable. Furthermore, I know of at least one study indicating no decrease in lean body mass whatsoever even during an extremely (and unsustainably) low caloric intake, when combined with adequate physical activity, which would seem to discount the prospect entirely.
Colossalcon
Otakon (... possibly)
Youmacon

Last edited by Midnight Raine : 01-16-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Midnight Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
FortuneCookie
Legen-wait for it-DARY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Raine View Post
This wouldn't make sense, either, though. Starvation-related adaptations such as a decrease in metabolic rate do not occur in humans until at least a couple of days of complete food deprivation. Consuming 60% of one's usual intake over the course of 24 hours is certainly not going to elicit such a response. I can assure you

And regarding the proposed increase in muscle catabolism, I've never seen any credible evidence that the short-term increase in net protein breakdown during hypocaloric periods is not offset by the corresponding period of net protein synthesis during hypercaloric periods, provided that the time periods involved are at all reasonable. Furthermore, I know of at least one study indicating no decrease in lean body mass whatsoever even during an extremely (and unsustainably) low caloric intake, when combined with adequate physical activity, which would seem to discount the prospect entirely.
When I answered this question I assumed it was in reference to performing this type of unbalanced intake regularly, not just over one day. All gains and losses are an accumulation of unbalanced and unhealthy choices over time. No, over a 24 hour period it would not elicit that response, but these types of choices create instances that elicit unhealthy situations. And it also has a great deal to do with what you are eating. Here's an articlethat describes what I'm talking about, but in defense of your view, which is totally valid by the way, evidence can go either way. The significance of most of these findings is circumstancial for the most part.

And in referece to the muscle catabolism, yes it is the extreme as far as low caloric intake and heavy exercise, but it is something that should be kept in mind with any population trying to lose weight because people tend to do too little or, worse, too much.

Studies on the whole show small windows of how choices can affect the body and while they control factors, our diets in daily life are not nearly as strict. Evidence regarding exercise and diet impact vary widely depending on a whole host of factors. I've always felt suggesting more balance in intake (diet) as well as output (exercise), would provide healthy change most are looking for.
FortuneCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
MiaMokona

@Fortune Cookie: Of coarse not! You're a fitness trainer, a credible source to look to. Like me, it is your job to know this information, so we can both answer with proper knowledge it's the fact that people without proper knowledge give others answers that are not correct l, therefore not really helping much.

@Midnight_Raine: like i stated, your body's metabolism slows while you sleep. So calories taken in directly before sleep will not process as well as those given more time when raten earlier. Its the debunk to the thought that you gain weight if you eat at night. Your body doesnt know if it is night or day, but it knows when your sleeping and will not metabolisr foods as well as when you are awake. Therefore eating a couple (not 5) hours before you sleep will help you metabolize your food better
And while energy levels may be higher at a later time in the day, it simply means you might be able to increase your workout. If you did exactly what you do in the morning, it wouldn't be any different, and working out in the morning will allow for a longer period of afterburn.
Undecided
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
MiaMokona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seority View Post
I'm trying to lose my extra pounds by doing some light exercising periodicity through the day. (Morning, Afternoon and Night) My goal isn't in pounds, but just in looks. I really want to achieve abs. I am a female though and I know it's a little harder for us to get these. I was wondering if you had any tips or special work-out tips for me? I'm also having trouble getting rid of my "love-handles". I work out at home and with no equipment. Any help is appreciated. ^-^
First im going to tell you to make sure you work your full body. If not in a single workout, then throughout the week. Muscles work together. To have good able, you need good leg muscles, and so on. Bycicle crunches done slowly and properly are great, such are Russian twists with a dumbbell or medicine ball. You could also try crunches on a balance ball. Cardio is also kep for ridding yourself of love handles. Be sure to do a at least 20 min of cardio each day. Maybe ind a fun cardio exercise? I enjoy kickboxing and Zumba as well as running
Undecided
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
MiaMokona

And following the 5:3 diet is a great thing! Five smaller meals 2-3 hours hours apart keeps you from feeling hungry and eating unnecessary calories as well as giving your body proper energy throughout the day
Undecided
Unread 01-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
Seority
Love and tolerance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMokona View Post
First im going to tell you to make sure you work your full body. If not in a single workout, then throughout the week. Muscles work together. To have good able, you need good leg muscles, and so on. Bycicle crunches done slowly and properly are great, such are Russian twists with a dumbbell or medicine ball. You could also try crunches on a balance ball. Cardio is also kep for ridding yourself of love handles. Be sure to do a at least 20 min of cardio each day. Maybe ind a fun cardio exercise? I enjoy kickboxing and Zumba as well as running
Thank you for the reply!
I do try to work out my whole body, even my legs that are all muscle already lol!
In the summer I do get to run and get my cardio in for the day but it's hard in the winter. I live in Wisconsin and our winters make it super cold outside. Too cold to be safe running. Is there anything you suggest I can do in my house for cardio?
I can't afford gym membership or weights due to my low pay and living away from parents. When I get a better job I will sign up, but for now I have to stay on a budget.
Thanks again. ^^
Seority is offline   Reply With Quote