Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

Skyward Sword Fi / Phi Cosplay

This is for tutorials, tips, ideas and discussion for Fi / Phi / Phai. These are categorized by HEAD, BODY, LEGS to make your search easier. This is not official or anything but to help and brainstorm. More will be added as discussion continues.

-----HEAD-----

Shiny vs Plastic: Both work, Most agree that she looks more plastic then shiny
Helmet vs Wig: Can go with either but wig is difficult to style correctly and helmet is time consuming.
Paint vs Mask: The mask gives more shape to character's face. Her eyes are a little larger then normal. Closing eyes with face paint works well for photos.
Paint/Wig vs Mask/Helmet: Mix and matching these makes odd results. Wig / Mask looks very strange as Helmet / Paint also looks a little odd but results are not bad.

MASK: Paint-able mask from fabric store and cover eyes with matching cloth or buckram mesh material unless you put it under something.

WIG: A shiny / metallic style wig then use a fine wire mesh to create the point at the top of her head. Lots of hair spray and/or styling gel or model it like Cloud Wig (The method, not to look like Cloud)

HELMET: Paper Mache or Wire Frame with Paper Clay-Model Magic-Modeling Clay or Fun Foam

Her hair is very blocky in game and flat in art. The only flat parts in her hair is her bangs. The back of her head has a line down the middle, which for making out a fun foam is a huge advantage.

Paper mache pattern of helmet using a balloon in Ancient Hyrule Script ( words 'piece' and 'and') The blue is the lines you cut and the boxes are the cardboard.

Using Pepakura helps for making the helmet for paper mache and foam, Blue Prints are by kitsch_brigade:
Pepakura
BP: Fi's Head with Mask
BP: Fi's Head without Eyes

-----BODY-----

CLOAK: Right side is blue / purple, Left side is Light Blue matching Mask / Helmet / Face.

Wire Frame / Foam Frame / All Fabric

A V shape cloak coming up above the crystal on the front and the same point in the back. Gathered fabric on the sleeve ends that goes from her knees to her dress and flows freely. Has three ruffles before the oval like shape where her arms would be. Here are some ideas and plans:
  • An insert sleeve with rods to support the wings would work, in generally the cape would drape more than enough to hide your arms as it is.
  • Putting foam strips above your shoulders to make the creases she has at the top of her cape thing a bit more pronounced.
  • The top with pleating, the 2nd with ruffles and the 3rd is the backing. Make the ruffles separately through gathering and you can even control which ruffles and how many. There are tons of tutorials for gathering on youtube. The backing - once you have your top and the stuff you want on the top, you fit the backing on, which is the fabric under neath the layer. The backing won't go all the way up to the pleating, as I plan it to leave a small opening to fit my arms in and maybe for support I might sew some elastic inside on the backing
JEWEL: Her broach is gold with a blue diamond in it.

Resin vs Paper mache: Both are nice when completed correctly. Resin is a bit prettier.

Molds for both resin and paper mache:

Jewel Blue Prints for Pepakura by kitsch_brigade
Ice Cast
Dipyramid paper craft Cut two triangles from this so you get the diamond Fi has
Super scalpy and sanding

Resin: Color or Clear with painted backing

Casting Resin 16 oz
Easycast Clear Casting Epoxy

Clear HIPS (HIGH Impact styerene): cut it to a diamond shape. You can see this effect Here

SKIN: Plastic looking only really shown on her legs and neck / face

Zentai suit / Morphsuit vs Body Paint: Both are good but not so much plastic looking without a lot of make-up for the body paint.

Websites:
Lycra-Zentai
Morphsuits
Zentai-Zentai
Trustworthy Ecommerce Deal
Do it Style
Catsuit Patterns

DRESS: Matching right side of cloak or Royal Blue dress. The dress has two gold / yellow lining going down horizontal on each side of the chest. This can be created or alter a shirt or dress. It has two parts, the top and the bottom which pops out a little

-----LEGS-----

SHOES: Black Block Heel Pump Loafers, small thick heels, or character shoes. Can put them under or over your stocking.

STOCKINGS: Black or grey blue. Can be stockings, tights, or from the zentai suit.

Fashion elastic Winter Lined Opaque Tights Pantyhose Warm Thick Stocking Legging

STRIPES: 3D fabric paint, ribbon, or fence / fish net.
Fence Net
Fish Net
ASSETS®: By Sara Blakely® Flipside Diamond Tights
Make your own diamond cut leggings.

-----REFERENCE PICTURES-----

Game Art
Game Sprite
Full Body Game Sprite
Fi Model: Can be used with Pepakura

Game photos by narutokunobsess
Reference 1
Reference 2
Reference 3
Reference 4

Last edited by ssoldiersaturn : 04-18-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: New content
ssoldiersaturn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

-----TUTORIALS-----

HELMET & JEWEL:

Craft foam:
Craft Foam Armor Tutorial
The Many Wonders of Craft Foam
Backyard FX: For master chief but same concept

Paper mache:
Spartan Helmet: Help with paper mache
Pixelninja Progress: It's Zelda but the crystal creation will help for Fi
Lightweight Paperclay Armor

Resin:
Resin Gem Casting Tutorial: Part 1
Resin Gemmaking Tutorial: by Amethyst Angel Part 1

PEPAKURA:

How to Use Pepakura
Pepakura Tutorial
Skyward Sword Game Sprites: Can be used in Pepakura, The Fi one is very helpful
405th Forum: Help with Pepakura

PAPER CRAFT MOLD FOR RESIN: By narutokunobsess

Ingredients
  • Paper that is stiff, but still easy to fold. Computer paper is a bad example.
  • 8 very thin layers of Liquid Soap. Glopping it on suddenly is not good as the paper will warp.
  • 8+ thin layers of mold builder. As much as you need to.
  • Soft brushes
  • Wax paper
  • Wellbond glue
  • Hair dryer (optional but if you want to speed up the process)
  • A big space, or well ventilated area.
1. Calculate your desired shape or find a shape.
2. Fold paper into desired shape.
3. Use wellbond and glue creases, but hiddenly. Wip with your finger excess glue before smudging into place.
4. Seal any creases with well bond. Make sure its applied very thinly or else it will look funky. Let that dry for an hour (because that how well bond dries).
5. Once dry, layer thinly the soap, and let each layer dry. If you want a faster dry, use a hairdryer. I say about 8 layers is good, and eventually probably around five, you can be a tiny bit more thicker.
6. Thinly apply mold builder and with the brush, smooth out the mold builder. 30mins intervals is good for each layer. For the first, check on it a bit early to see any bubbles, and make sure to pop those.
7. Keep applying mold builder, untill about 11+ (or probably more). Its going to take awhile, but if you want a speedier stiffness, add gauze as instructed on the package. I don't recommend this on the first few layers as it might ruin the mold surface. Youll get this ugly strips texture if you do it on your first layer. Wait till about 5-8 layers.
8. Once dry about 2-3 days later, peel carefully and your mold is finished. You can try folding an area but not to create a fold, but to peel a piece. Wash the inside with soap and water.

For me, around 7 and 8, I added around 11 layers with mold builder and it was not that stiff at all. So I waited for it to completely dry for that period and then I casted plaster strip mold on top of the mold builder, for extra support. Smoother Vaseline over the mold builder, then add your plaster gauze. The Vaseline is for taking the mold builder out so you can easily take out the diamond. Once its stiff enough (around 30mins-1 hour) take it off and let both dry. There will be ugly white spots on the mold, but they will disappear and no worries, it only effects the outside of your mold. Wash the Vaseline off with soap and water and wipe carefully with a towel. Then leave both to dry, and once the white spots disappear on your mold, move on to step 8 or peel it.

TIP: Be patient.

Last edited by ssoldiersaturn : 02-01-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: New
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
kitsch_brigade

Thanks for collecting all the info in one place! I think it will be quite helpful.

On a personal front, I got my resin and swatches in the mail today. I am quite excited. I will have to finally print out my scaled Fi head and have at
kitsch_brigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
narutokunobsess

Horay for new forum and no more re posting lol. Thanks for organizing the information. lol.

My resin is still curing, but I feel I did the big one wrong, because It has soo many bubbles in it. The corners for the bottom (where its flat) is flimsy and its cracked at a corner. Im not too worried as those flimsy is going to be covered anyway. Everything else though is solid. I moved my pieces from the garage to the laundry room, because its alot warmer then the garage and probably will cure better. For the foam, I might try sealing it with an iron, because its flat pieces on the side anyway.

Even so, like I said many times before, I still have plenty of resin left to use to recast. And I could sell it if I hate how it looks.

Im using a fire lighter to get rid of bubbles. This lady uses a torch thing, but I don't have anything like that, so Im sticking in with the cheap lol.
Unread 01-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

Thank you very much! I knew this would help us and those who want to make the costume (everyone seems dazed at the moment about it and I am surprised there are not more of these for Link and such.)

Backyard FX mentions about using aqua resin to construct armor. I'm still sanding my helmet and lower part of the jewel, things got a little busy lately and I haven't had the time to sand as much as I wanted. Having a hard time getting the lower jewel part smooth enough but I should be back to full speed next week.
Unread 01-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
narutokunobsess

Your welcome . And yea, I was surprised that alot of peps wanna cosplay as fi and yet I see none in the search results. And the reason for link is probably because you can easily find that on the main Legend of Zelda forum and search for it.

Well for my resin experience, ive only heard of the ones for casting jewelery (ice resin, easy cast and polyester casting resin). Frankly I did also heard about using resin for foam from him. Im still waiting my diamon but I should try pulling it out soon. . I probably have to paint the back since I feel I don't want to cast again. Luckly I have two class pushed off til march, and so I have more free time then I realized XD. They are late start classes.

Im trying to get my Zentai suit set out straight, since Im not good at explaining things through writing. So Im explaining with photomanipulation XD. Yea I basically colored a zentai, and commented one what I want on it.

This is the answer to the last forums about fi's cape:
Im looking at the shape of the cape and where the gathering starts is around where her hips end and I need to put my hands in there. Soo just cutting the cape up to there is really impossible lol. I might make this a bit longer.

And the top looks really really poofy which Im not sure why. Im probably going to only go for the pleating, and gathering effect and leaving the poofyness alone. Then again, maybe its because its just wrapping around her body.
I see the shield thing now and it seems to start right after the pleating. I'm guessing I should add some card board (or foam core) inside where the pleating starts and that's where also the hand insert or elastic should go.

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 01-25-2012 at 07:34 PM.
narutokunobsess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

I've sadly been searching for Fi cosplay every other day to see if someone has come up with any more and only seen the two just Jenny's and the promotional. Ohayocon is this weekend though and there was a second Fi besides myself so her's may come up? It's a new frontier but I also imagine once a few come out and people see more of them it will get more 'popular'. Most just say or have it on the 'want' this. New frontier huh? Kind of exciting.

To make the cloak is easy (I mean people can get away with just throwing it over them) but to make it look good is a whole another story. I'm thinking of gathering the fabric, and then sew an oval shape cloth over it and one underneath that where I can slide in cardboard (and my hands) to have it poof out (did that make any sense?) The poof-ness of the shoulders should just come if you sew it together right. To make them real big wouldn't be really realist looking.

I still have the photo of what I gave to them if you want that. (I can change the colors since mine are based off the game more then the art and sprite. Like black or grey blue for the legs).
Unread 01-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
narutokunobsess

Your kind of right that its kind of new costume, even though fi has been out for awhile. It wasn't much of a hype until the game came out, which was just a few months ago. In a way its kind of exciting, because Im really planning and budgeting my costume better. Although the budget for me has already gone over. I was aiming for $150 and I think now its heading towards $200 already. But its still pretty good with coupons and taking advantage of discounts lol. If it wasn't, I would of been at $400 already.

Well its more of the weird 3D oval shape that make it look poof out. I wasn't concerned too much about gathering, and pleating, since that is easy. And yea your right, making it look good is the hard part. In my thinking of a blanket slash cloak, it sounds simple enough, but Im also forgetting the weird flatness she still has when she lifts her cloak.

I just check my mail and what? $50 for a zentai??? I though it would be alot less then that. I think I should make sure and ask how much was your zentai? That definitely pushes it over $200.
Unread 01-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
narutokunobsess

Im trying to look for any other sites that can do it for cheaper. I was expecting $29, but $50? How did it triple? Oh well, at least I did tell my dad the budget was going to go to $200

I found a site where you can actually make your own. I however will not touch any more fabric, including spandex. But good luck if you really want to over achieve. Its pretty straight forward, but of course, you may have to find airbrushing for customability.
http://www.stretchy.org/

Edit:
I just spammed alot of emails to websites so, I should see if there's a better and cheaper quote then zentai-zentai. If not, Ill just wait till they process the order (Feb 2).

Edit 2:
I decided to recast my diamond again, because I wait three days and some parts of it was really sticky still. I mean alot of the top was dry, but still some of it was stickyThe point on top was sticky too and there were tons of bubbles that bothered me. So recasting time. I added more dye and moved it into a smaller and warmer room, where no one uses. Its going to have a bit of a rough texture, since apparently it mimic the paper texture. Oh well, can't ask for too much since i used paper crafts XD. Maybe people will like the roughness.

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 01-26-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Unread 01-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

My zentai was around 50, my issue with the others was I couldn't get or find custom. Let us know if you do find something better though! I've only found them under 50 for having less fabric. I'm sitting on 135$ right now with everything I had to get and I still need to get paint and the cloth for the cloak. Half of this was the 2 mod podge (beginner with it, I could have gotten away with one if I didn't end up doing 2 helmets) and the paper clay (the jewel took 1 1/2 and the helmet took 3-4 1/2). So it's not coming up to a cheap costume either. (I didn't think most Zelda's were cheap looking at Zelda & Link Twilight and Midna costumes). I'm looking at 200 as well.
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #11
narutokunobsess

Some of the custom sites I visted and a few replied. One gave me a quote of $60??? Thats more then zentai-zentai. One said they were just plain confused about the picture and it seem complicated. Still waiting for other responses.

My diamond is curing nicely though. Its not as sticky. (though I wonder if I was just abusing the resin spray.)

Although Today I just am banging my head for not see this tutorial. Its awsome because you can use craft foam and I was assume you could not use craft foam (because of the heat in resin). She also shows that you can make the most unsual molds out of craft foam. So I could of saved soo much money and time by making craft foam instead of painting it with $15 mold builder. And probably I could have a better leveled resin object.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a7VVHJ6Jhw

Apparently its the same lady who writes the cosplay books including the Armour tutorial.

Edit:
The $60 is because they can do the legs. The website Im looking at is here:
http://www.trustedeal.com/Custom-Tailor.html

Do you think $10 is a bit much for black tights or worth it?

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 01-27-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
kitsch_brigade

Ahhhhh. Okay, warning, scaling the pepakura file makes huge jumps in sizes. The second one I printed out ended up being the size of a mascot head. It was huge! So scaling it down and trying to be precise with the measurements. My aquaresin arrived though so I also have to get started on that jewel~

I don't think $10 for tights is too bad but if you really wanted you could probably find some cheaper. I would just be worried if the cheaper ones would be opaque enough. Really just depends on you budget I think.
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
zaffie

My alternative for the zentai/tights situation was purchasing these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130587109145... 4.m1439.l2649
They're the same as leggings, but made for winter so they have a thick layer inside and they're AWESOME for this! It's pitch black and they cover the toes. A little warning is if you're on the bigger side, I would not suggest this. It'll be hard to get into them comfortably if you are since it's one size. I don't mind painting my face and my arms are going to be "inside" my cape so I wasn't taking those parts into consideration.

I decided to paper mache Fi's "hair". I used a balloon for my head shape, floral wire to shape the pointed tip. I'm really happy with the results:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3143285/

Cosplay:

Midna(The Legend of Zelda): 100%!
Phi(The Legend of Zelda): 100%
Eska (Legend of Korra): 10%

Last edited by zaffie : 01-27-2012 at 10:26 PM.
zaffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
narutokunobsess

My friend found something even awsomer for the tights.

JCPennies sells these type of tights and its really good also if you have the lycera tights anyway. Im thinking about buying this tights too and see how it looks on my pants. And I think I might get the 50 Dollar one anyway, just to be cheaper. I was thinking of dying the leg part of the zentai a bit green (if its all possible). That way I can decide if I want to wear the black tights with the muti fence lace over the lycra, or this tights with the dyed teal legs underneath.
http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?...=searchresults

The problem is I don't know how to dye the zentai lycra spandex. Is there a good and cheap way to dye the lycra and just the legs? Or should I just go with the $60 and get a teal green for the legs instead of blue?

Ive pulled out my minature diamond today and I love it. Although its not clear, I think its ok, because alot of the game art depicts the diamond as a clear white color and not really clear. Just need to add more gloss varnish and wohoo, super shiny effect. Although it has a hole on the back, oh well lol. Its still pretty shiny I promise.

Also, the head I ordered for the styrafoam, it came in today so I can use it to rest my fi hair. I think I can really use it for other things like wig making, and stuff. Endless possibilities. Even resting the Rosalina crown I have.

Also I teamed up with my friend today and finally fully cut out the patter, now its just gluing it together to see if it fits my head. Unfortunately it got crumpled, but no worries, as its just a pattern. Yep I have to trace the pattern on to the foam once it looks right. Only thing remains is transfering the paper to a newspaper so its a flat piece.

Edit:
I tape the pepekura together, and out of sheer luck, the pattern actually fits my head. I only added 3 inches to the calculated thing from a tutorial. Its the first try too. This is a 3/4ths view of the result.

I think Im close to the exciting part which is getting a pattern, cutting out, gluing it together and shaping the foam with heat. YES!!!

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 01-28-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #15
kitsch_brigade

Zaffie: Ah the point looks quite good! I can't wait to see it done.

Narutokunobsess: To dye lyrca you'll have to use a dye that will work on synthetic fabrics. iDye Poly would work, but you'd have to hold it over a pot of boiling water for 30 minutes to only dye half of it. I wouldn't suggest it. Those tights are really cool though, thanks for the link!