Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Unread 03-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
SA2R
King of the Skies

Link's chain mail :O??

So I feel pretty ignorant asking, but I am making Twilight Princess Link for a con in a couple months, and I thought I would start early on the chain mail. Only problem is~ I don't know the first thing about it XD;; And I have some questions:
-What is a good medal to use?
-What is a good size to use?
-When a jump ring measures 6mm, or what ever MM, what exactly is that measuring?
-If I wanted the jump rings to be about the size of a dime, what size is that D8?!?

I am just confused about it XD;;

Any help would be great :3

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Link_Harkanian
Hero of the Sky

If you have a couple months before the con, that is not enough time to make a full shirt, unless that chainshirt is all you ware working on solidly all the time, plus you would need in the order of tens of thousands of rings for the full shirt to work. for metals, I advise probably stainless steel and then have them sprayed or treated to appear copper. For the size you're wanting, about half an inch would work.
Mystery Cosplay - ???
Things to do - Armor...lots of armor and makeup.

Upcoming Events

"Look to the Skies...and the Hero will come..."
Link_Harkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
TK2386
The Cadet

Think geek, $99 aluminum short sleeve chain mail shirt. Just spray paint it gold/bronze/copper with a spray paint designed for metal. Worked for me for the past 3 years.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-app...us/9080/?srp=1

Unread 03-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
SA2R
King of the Skies

@Link_Harkanian:Thankies :3 Ok I have more than a couple months, and I have oodles of free time heh. Not to mention I have a couple helpers. So I think I will be ok one time. thankies for the advise also :3 this helps me greatly.

@TK2386: I was thinking of buying a pre-made shirt, but I wanted to make most of the costume myself. But thanks for the link :3 Ill probably look into them if I end up needing to buy pre-made nun

You both are some awesome Links by the way @A@!!

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Snake - Book of Circus

( ▽ ` )v

Unread 03-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
mirrorsaber
in unknown territory

I know I will probably get bashed/made fun of for various reasons but here is what I recommend for weaving chainmaile since I'm actually attempting to remake.

I suggest for the ring size 5/16 diameter. The best place to buy your rings/materials is the ring lord. You can also buy the wire to make the rings if you want.

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopDisp...id=1&cat=Rings

For the weave, I suggest a 4 in 1 since its the easiest. Here is a tutorial I have used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXz3aOz3HbM

And this is what mine started to look like at the beginning. (I have actually added more rings since then.)

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3166696/

Oh and I suggest adding sleeves last. You can add them first but I had a pain with it.

Hope that helps.

next costume- Just repairing/making new stuff I never tried as of now.
mirrorsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Link_Harkanian
Hero of the Sky

PrincessWolf; I know what you're talking about, that's the past, and it's over with.

And yeah, she's right, you'll wann'a add the sleeves on last even if they're like the first part you make. The method i used was actually getting rings from worthco.com because I have limited working space and tools, and the little jumper rings I got look pretty close to King's maille and are stainless steel, so it's effectually a lightweight chainshirt when I finally get a chance to expand and finish it. then again, considering how cheap the rinsg at ringlord are now....I may go that rout and make a heavier shirt myself.

Either way, we've all got different methods and advise to help out. :3
Mystery Cosplay - ???

Upcoming Events

Unread 03-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
this1voice
Cosplay Novice

Since my fiance is going to cosplay TP Link for Otakon, this has been a major help! Thanks, all. ^_^

Quick question, though: is it possible to attach a few strips of chainmaille to the necessary areas of the tunic, instead of making a whole shirt? I've been trying to think of the logistics but if anyone's tried it (or even if not) I'd appreciate input. =)
this1voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Link_Harkanian
Hero of the Sky

It's actually how my current skyward sword costume is done. What you would do is making the sections large enough to fill the slits in the "skirt" of the tunic, then hand stitch them on, making sure to make the threading secure, then do the same for the sleeve sections and the collar. I'll try and get a picture of my tunic soon for you to show what I mean
Mystery Cosplay - ???

Upcoming Events

Unread 03-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
SA2R
King of the Skies

Thankies guys nun Glad to see that this has helped others as well as myself!

Yeah I was thinking I might go about the~ only making parts of it, if I happen to run low on time. Thankies for the tutorials, and tips everyone nun!! I cannot tell you how much this has helped :3

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Snake - Book of Circus

( ▽ ` )v

Unread 04-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
Huan

I'm thinking of trying this out as well... Approximatively how many rings would I need for the full shirt if I went with, say, 3/8" rings? And what about the ideal wire size?
I'd probably go with aluminum since it's so much lighter and cheaper than steel.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
mirrorsaber
in unknown territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huan View Post
I'm thinking of trying this out as well... Approximatively how many rings would I need for the full shirt if I went with, say, 3/8" rings? And what about the ideal wire size?
I'd probably go with aluminum since it's so much lighter and cheaper than steel.
It really depends on how big you are and how long/big you want it. Usually the average chaimaile shirt has 3,000- 5,000 rings (unless they are really big rings) but Link's from Twilight Princess the length goes about the lenth between his knee and hips. Plus, if you are using smaller rings, you will need more rings. I suggest 16 gauge for the rings is what I am using for mine right now. (but I'm using 5/16 diameter, not 3/8)

Unread 05-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
expiredgumiworm
Tiki Crafts

Why not make the sections that are going to be seen and just sew them in.

There are t-shirts that are similar to this. Ever seen those t-shirts that have a fake undershirt or fake long sleeves that are sewn only in at the end of the sleeve?

and/or

Follow my cosplay blog: Tiki Crafts Blogspot
expiredgumiworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
mirrorsaber
in unknown territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by expiredgumiworm View Post
Why not make the sections that are going to be seen and just sew them in.

There are t-shirts that are similar to this. Ever seen those t-shirts that have a fake undershirt or fake long sleeves that are sewn only in at the end of the sleeve?
The only problem with that is it may work on some parts but parts that are long and big like sleeves and the bottom of the chainmaile near the hips may weigh a lot and thread alone won't hold it for long. Plus, washing it, even by hand, may break the thread and some chainmaile can't stand water (unless it was stainless steel, which can be heavy).

Unread 03-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
Akune-chan

I was actually thinking about making just the parts of the chainmail that can be seen.

Which gauge, material ring, do you guys suggest? :3
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
HylianKnight
Wandering Adventurer~

Akune-chan: What others have said on here already, is very useful. If you're worried about weight, aluminum rings are a great option. They're easy for beginners (there's almost no spring-back), and you can get anodized rings (different colours, depending if you want a rustic gold, or bright silver, etc.).

I always have a hard time suggesting size, because everyone is shaped differently, some are taller, broader, etc. You'll probably want to find a ratio that suits you best, but here's a useful chart so you can visually see the difference: http://www.theringlord.com/AspectRatio.pdf

Hope it's helpful~ I've done two hauberks, with aluminum and stainless steel. So if you need more specific answers, I'll try to help.

Upcoming...
Leonardo (TMNT)
Feudal Link (Legend of Zelda)
Abel Nightroad (Trinity Blood)
HylianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote