Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 4.86 average.
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #151
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

I love photos but it's up to you. ^^ I can't really attach mine to the cloak mostly because it was too heavy to even support a spring I wanted to make it flexible. I could see making an extra flap to put it on though so you still get the cloak sitting on top of the jewel like it does.
ssoldiersaturn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #152
narutokunobsess

My thing is that by looking at fi, her diamond goes under the cloak, but then again, no harm in trying.

ssoldiersaturn, Im pretty much a bit better and maybe trying to do something about the protesters, in a more positive way. But neverless and in the mean time, fanime was fun. I had a great time being the only fi, and there was only one Gharihim. That part was awesome when they called the swords spirits out. Unfortunately, my friend couldn't take a pic of it on my camera. I had this odd urge to hug Ghirahim, but never did.

Problems: Well now, here we go again. My helmet ripped again, so I have to super glue it or something. Im guessing by now foam isn't a good option, unless you get the exact size or bigger.
I also managed to also pluck two areas of fishnet stockings. As a quick fix, my mom sewed up with regular thread. It works for now. It was needed, because i wore the costume for two days. I might do your route and use some paper mache or something, and use my old helmet as a model, since it summer time now and I have lots of time to do a cosplay.

And lastly for my mask, I get two comments, either she is awesome or the mask is plain creepy. Its the eyes, because they are black instead of blue at any angle. The mask does not fit my face properly.
Unread 06-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #153
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

I have gotten the creepy looking comment too all over acen. It could just be Fi in general. Have you tried putting your mask closer to your face? One my second mask it was hurting my chin so I trimmed the bottom of it and it was much better. Something to try to see if that doesn't fix the issue. My mask is really close to my face and makes me sound like darth vader! I've seen Fi cosplayers make their own mask out of clay or you can go the mache route and print off the face in the pepkara program. which is a route that is open.

The paper mache route is not bad but I got hit in the head a few times by my friends master sword and it scratched it up (not too bad though, I am going to fix it up this summer). I haven't had any problems with the stocking but I've only wore them 3 times (I am usually extremely careful with the costume since it's so fragile). The other one was using wire frame with clay / model magic too.

I finally did my mask the right way and threw on 4 layers of paint and re-sanding that. So trying to cast a resin jewel for my new one. (There was one photo I found of you Narutokunobsess where your jewel looked amazing at Fanime!) I fixed the front of my cloak so it lays more like it actually should. Sadly with all the resin playing there is no way to get my jewel done in time without possible complications coming up so that will have to wait til next year (I will be working on it over the summer).
Unread 06-05-2012, 02:58 AM   #154
narutokunobsess

I could actually. I just didn't before, because the masks is a bit lower, then my normal eye vision, so I have to just adjust my head more to see at certain angles.

For that stocking, i just didn't see it comming. It was pretty small isle so, I couldn't see if my leg is caught.

Well, for me, I probably have to get another mask anyway. There is no way I can repair the crack, so, its back to the store again XD.
I think it could be one of my photos on facebook. I was soo amazed that there is a certain lighting that works with the diamond. That car paint backing worked out really well.

Resin? Just to let you know one again, that my color diamond is not going to be the color of the dye (unless you remeber to mix a bit of red). Its actually the dye color and the backing color (dupli metalic blue car paint) together. And to increase drying time, you just need a heat source, which is basically mimicking the sun. You can put lamps over it, if you can't do it outdoors. Basically you want the room circulating and aired, but it needs to be warm too. It will smell in that room.

Edit: And yes Im really glad It does shine at a certain angle that way. It really fits for fi.

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 06-05-2012 at 01:59 PM.
narutokunobsess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #155
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

I made a new jewel and casted it with OOMOO (really easy stuff to work with too!) and now just getting the resin not to bubble. There are two ways I am looking at for this. One is completely clear with a colored backing (scrapbook paper and/or nail polish) or light blue with the same stuff. The clear is awesome (like pixelninja did) but it's a bigger jewel and I'm afraid it will be clear / white in certain angles. So I am testing those. My new base is so much better now too. I am very happy with it. I used the pepakura for it and it did wonders (according to the sprite, it is flat between the base and the jewel and they colored it in to give it the down edge in between)

That might solve the problem actually. When I wore my mask, my eyes were underneath it up top like in the photos I posted during progress. The eye holes actually rest on my checks. (It's either the brand or how they are supposed to sit on your face from that type of mask. I put mine on level to my eyes after you mentioned this and got the same affect. I could still see (not above me but I was more concerned on in front of me more).
Unread 06-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #156
narutokunobsess

Non bubbly resin? I though that was heat based, while you cure, you pop before it dries. You pop the bubbles by scooping them or using a torch of some kind. Then again the resin could be a totally different product.

If its not clear in certain angles, the polythurane should help out lots. Like Ive said before, Ive casted a mold from paper, and once I took the resin out of the paper mold, it was really rough. After many glops of polythurane polish, its looks fine.

Yea, the eyes rest a bit lower then my eye level. Its weird how they designed the mask.
Unread 06-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #157
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

So colossalcon is over. I had a great time and Fi actually survived the 90 degree weather I had to deal with. Now it's time to make some changes for the zelda symphony and youmacon. I pulled the diamond off today and could not save my old dress so now I need to make a new one to go with the new jewel.

top view
side view

I have scrap paper I want to use to add color to it but I am not sure it is needed. I'm thinking of gluing the jewel with epoxy but I am going to test it on a smaller one first to make sure it won't leave anything. Then there is actually attaching it to the new dress. My new one is thinner then before but not so stretchy. I'm going to see how magnets do for holding it as well as interfacing to see what I can get.

I need to fix up my cloak and helmet but I'm scared too touch them ^^*

Last edited by ssoldiersaturn : 06-14-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #158
narutokunobsess

Too bad about the dress. Maybe try a thicker material. Mind works fine.

I think the jewel looks great pretty much how it is. It looks just like fi's jewel and an actual made jewel. Maybe test the jewel under a lighting. As always, I feel its just important to have a good cosplay that looks good on the camera.
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #159
narutokunobsess

Im back and ready for some cosplay repairs for Kinyoobi con next week. Gahh I sometimes am annoyed by my fi helmet, but something must be done. I have 3 tears in my helmet and was wondering if any cosplayers know how to repair it?
Unread 08-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #160
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

You might want to check with the people in the props section since foam is used a lot to make armor and would most likely know how to deal with it or just make a new one?

Well my jewel got damaged on accident so I have to cast a new one ; _ ; I might try to make it glow with LED's but that means I need to drill a hole in the base for wires to go through (should not be too hard through paper clay / paper mache). I'm making a new cloak too. I got an idea from another cosplayer who did Fi to use batting instead of foam (I still have my old one in case this falls through) which would have the lightness but firm look Fi's cloak has.

I want to touch up my helmet but kind of afraid to do it X_x
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #161
narutokunobsess

I remeber you can put LED's while it's casting too. I think I posted it somewhere in the forums, but you can easily find something like that on youtube.

Looks like I might be going to another symphony. They are having another north CAli symphony!! Might as well relive the night.
Unread 08-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #162
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

Yeah! They will stop having them after this year so might as well enjoy them while they are around. I am debating if I want to take my Fi to the symphony (I'm going to the Chicago one). Mostly I was concern about my wings since I can't really sit down while I have them on or making a human version (with blue hair and a dress looking similar to it)
Unread 08-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #163
narutokunobsess

Oh really. Then, I really have to get my act together and make sure to get a group going and coordinated.

My friend link wants to come with his friends, there is another guy friend and also this other girl friend wants to come. So like five about want to come, and me is 6.

For my experience, I had everything on the whole time and never took it off (though its pretty hard to see the screen). My wings,I flapped up and drape over the arm rests. My cosplay didn't contain foam or anything.
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #164
narutokunobsess

Long time no see cosplayers for Fi.

I found out alot of new techniques you can probably used. I attended Dagger6's panel at Fanime, and he uses eva foam and pepakura files.

For the helmet especially, you can try printing out the pepakura files on heavy weight and making it as stiff as possible. I can't remeber all the steps exactly uptil the bondo. I remeber he probably added some resin and some stuff to add padding and stuff, but I can't exactly remeber at the moment. Ill up date the post. But after getting the stiff ness and the other stuff, he uses bondo. The bondo is what makes the stuff light weight, and more curvy, rather then like a polygon.. He says to sand it alot and keep re applying the bondo till smooth. Then after, its pretty much painting with Dupli colors.

I also found alot of solutions while making my SS sheild as shown here.

One, if you really need to use gesso, but need an easier way to sand, try using some modeling paste on top and use a pallete knife only. It also doesn't matter if the gesso is ridged, but it helps to get it as smooth as possible. Adding tons of modeling paste can fill the valleys with the pallet knife and sanding it down a bit, can create a pretty smooth ground for spraying some primer. Its also alot faster then gesso. Here is a tutorial I followed a bit after the gesso has been applied. Also during sanding, it doesn't matter if it makes alot of scratches. The primer by design master can fill those in. Of course, the finer and smaler grains of the sanding the better, because Im not sure what bigger grains will do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP3br4sx7Uo

If you like, you can also mix in the molding paste with the gesso. Its also a medium type of thing that is ment to be mix in with.

And I also found a cheap and safer option for paint foam then plasti-dip. You can use Design master primer, and it does a good job. I tested pretty much on the metal buttons (which are made out of foam), and works just as great. You can get this at micheals for about the same price, but with a coupon, you can get the primer for $4 at least instead of $7 of plasti dip.

Sealing with uv spray by krylon and shining with future shine is also a good option.

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 06-15-2013 at 05:46 AM.
narutokunobsess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #165
Equinn

I've been following this thread for a while now and I must say that your Fi cosplays look amazing! I want to cosplay as Fi too, but I'm struggling:

Is it easier to make the helmet out of Craft foam? I figured because the helmet looks quite thick in the reference pictures. Any suggestions? What's the best materials to use for the helmet? Would any thermoplastic material like Worbla work aswell?
Equinn is offline   Reply With Quote