Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.83 average.
Unread 01-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #16
narutokunobsess

I guess then I should go for the blue lyrca leggins and then if I don't like how it looks, ill lay over a black pair of stockings over my lyrca, and over that Ill lay the teal fishnet stockings.

Actually, Im being a bit indecisive. Will it look a bit off if I put the color of the blue blue underneath the black stockings, or should I pay an extra 10 to see if they can get a greenish tint of blue? I want to be a bit final about this so I don't have to worry soo much anymore.

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 01-28-2012 at 03:45 AM.
narutokunobsess is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
zaffie

I'm more than half-way done with paper mache-ing Fi's "hair". Here's the side view:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3144173/

An issue that popped up was Fi's ends. She has something in the back of her head, but I cut a straight line in the back so my head can go in easily. I'm afraid that if I add the extra parts my head won't be able to get in as easily as now. Maybe if they went outward it can work.

I'll try it out today and see how it goes.

Cosplay:

Midna(The Legend of Zelda): 100%!
Phi(The Legend of Zelda): 100%
Eska (Legend of Korra): 10%
zaffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
narutokunobsess

Yep she has a seam in the back, which for me making out of craft foam is an advantage. Im using one unified piece with that seam as the only place where you see a crease. And yes out side, try attaching the hair pieces there.

Although for you, shouldn't her tulip head be a bit higher? Then again you could fix it easily.

Well pretty much, Im still mostly debating on the zentai which Im close to leaning on the $60 people because they can do the legsin different colors. I think I want to have at least the base color of her criss cross leggings so that I can try out the black diamonds stocking. If not, Ill just have to wear some black stockings over it. Ill be a bit hot lol, but Maybe Ill be fine XD. I think in a way, its for winter and summer use that way.

And I also took a look at the model again. I noticed that what is causing the goofiness for the cape is probably because of her pleating and how its curve around the figure. So I don't think I should worry too much about PVC or having a frame and Im crossing that it naturally does that. And also if you look at the bottom of the cape, there is a black spot, which Im assumeing thats her actual arms. I think I can create that effect with inserting my arms.

Lastly after using layers of varnish on my diamond, those paper textures really dissapear and so it really is more shiny then when I started. Now all I need to do is find a good backing. Some shiny blue mylar or a plastic silver party tray would be good and Both can be found at the dollar store.

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 01-29-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Unread 01-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #19
narutokunobsess

AMazing nobody has posted anything new. Guess you all are working hard on the costume.

Dress is almost done!!. Mostly we have to do the tube thing on the bottom, and as for the tops of the dress, I advised my mom to make the cape. She has been at the sleeves for hours. Im pretty much imitating the tube. Not bad for a first time using a pattern that had to be modified alot XD. Next time Im going for the smaller size.

Also a good shot of my diamond dripped in bunch of clear gloss polish. It looks awesome. I just need to back it up.

I also recieve soo many weeks later from Doit style an email. They said they also do black but cost $85 ($69 + $16). My parents are going to beat me if I had to pay $85. Im asking if the could change to fi's diamond color on her leggins so I can wear the black stockings. (it probably would look better then the multilace stocking)

Or is it worth getting teal leggings in order for me to wear those diamond stockings? Ahh decisions.
Unread 01-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

Well I have returned from Ohayocon (I went one day) and back to work on the costume. I got my head piece to fit but it is a bit tight with the mask which concerns me a bit when I get the zentai on also (when that decides to come in >_>*). There was one Fi cosplayer I found and it was really good. She used foam for her helmet and it looked good. I'm working on my dress this week as well.

I found this while in the Ghirahim help section and wondered if it would be good to use with Fi for her leggings over the zentai / stockings? Make your own diamond cut leggings. Though the only issue is how they would look over lapping.

@ zaffie, I was able to add on to mine with out any problem other then it takes more time. Just make sure it gets the right amount of coats as the rest of the helmet. The three pieces (two side and back) shouldn't affect you putting on the helmet (It was the front ones on mine that made it slightly hard to put it on). The back piece goes down and the two sides go out ward.

@ narutokunobsess, If that website can get you the leggings pattern I would take it. I really can't comment on the dying since I have no experience with it. I really wish I could see which would look better. Those tights you found over the blue would look great (those are almost perfect) but then it goes back to how do tights look over tights? And they are kind of all see through but that could just be the photo. I don't understand the extra cost, is that just to change your order to get the suit you want?
ssoldiersaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #21
narutokunobsess

Well if the zentai is almost like a spandex, I wonder if it sqeezes your head a bit?

Ahhh yes, foam works wonders. Like I said I have the pattern (pepakura), but its not flat for me to cut on the foam properly. Its all in one piece as I want it, but not flat as I want to cut it.

I also notice that issue about the overlapping. Fabric markers? XD Or get two pairs of stocking, and cut strips one way and then, cut the other way. Then sew together?

Oh I mean that there is this diamond I mentioned from JC pennies, and I was wondering if putting the color for the zentai legging part as the color of the strips in those diamond stockings. Im mostly worried about the color right now. I can't decide now whether to do the concept art color (which strangely is aqua blue), or the teal (the model). Im trying to think which color looks better.

I don't understand the extra cost, is that just to change your order to get the suit you want?
Well no. Im saying that I sent out a bunch of emails asking whether or not they can alter the legs too. It apparently costs about $10 more to change the color on the leg. Doitstyle is pretty heavy on that ($85 or 69 + 16 for shipping and handling ) to change it to black, while the other site or trustedeals estimates about $60 and they said they change the legs black or colored. They said they will get back to me on the colors of the teal diamond stockings.

SOO indecisive XD. Its becomes hard for me to choose something. So, should I try to fight for a teal color, get black leggings or just go back and order the same zentai suit as yours?

Im also thinking of getting the color of the stripes on the stocking stocking, cause then I was thinking of if I don't like that color and those black stockings don't work out, I can just wear a black stockings, and my fence net stockings over it.

Also I pretty much fail today, to know what tagboard was. I didn't realize that poster board was the same thing and Ive been looking all over for it. So Im planning to get some chrome blue spraypaint by dupli which I ordered, and posterboard as a backing to the diamond. I think the shade of blue would look better on the diamond then just plane silver, because I forgot that I applied primary blue, where as fi's Diamond is a bit of reddish blue when facing forward. So the dupli will sort of correct the color, and hopefully shine exactly as amethyst said. I'm hoping that Dupli can withstand high temp hot glue because I think it was made to withstand high temperatures (it was made for mostly metal cars).

Edit2:
As you all know, Im still at the pattern stage, because Im stuck on the patter. I wanted a whole pattern with only one cut at the back Course, pepakura was design just to fold paper and so its not going to be unifeed. So the paper is curling where I want everything flat.

I need to accurately measure it so its flat. Ill curl it over heat.

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 02-01-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Unread 02-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #22
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

For the color of your legging stripes I would go with the teal because the game is what most people are aware of unless you have planned your whole costume already with the concept art then stick to the aqua blue. I was worried about the blue I was using but then I went to play the game and she looks more blue then purple, so I will stick with it since I am designing mine off the game/sprite.

For the pattern being flat, are you using the one you folded up? When I did my jewel I had the one I was playing with to get it right and then I printed out a new one after so I could but it onto the cardboard easier since I knew it would work. After I put the full shape on the card board I went back and folded the folds drawing them so I knew where to fold.

It really is hard to choose since you want the costume to look it's best. X_x I'm kind of concern about Doitstyle's price compared to the others but there is probably something I am missing. I'd continue to look into the teal color but we still don't know if it will look good to have the zentai under the black leggings. I'm thinking of doing the same thing but with the hand made diamond leggings in teal, but I also have ribbon as a back up since I already ordered black legs. It's good you have a back up plan too with the black stockings and fence net so as long as you would have a back up plan for the teal tights you should go go it just keep in mind with the black ones you can do more with then the teal ones.
Unread 02-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #23
narutokunobsess

Ok. Well I did say I was going to go with the game design and the backing Im doing for the blue cape is good enough.

Yea its folded up because its made from pepakura and it really fits perfectly. I was hoping after taping the pattern pattern together and then cutting at the back where that crease is, that it would flatten properly as a pattern. I guess I predicted wrong XD. And also Im not planning to fold anything, since foam can heat up and curl naturally

Indeed, and especially for me, Im a pretty indecisive person. And yea, I won't ask for their services right now, Im still negotiating with trustestyle. Im hoping they have a teal color. I was thinking of this because of the two different ways, one would be a winter's out fit and one for summer or something like that.

Quote:
It's good you have a back up plan too with the black stockings and fence net so as long as you would have a back up plan for the teal tights you should go go it just keep in mind with the black ones you can do more with then the teal ones.
OH I was thinking of having teal as part of the leggings of the zentai, since I can't find any teal ones at the store, but covering it with black. But then again, you did kind of give me an idea; to buy the teal stockings and the black stockings to test it out. Great idea.

Today I bought some industrial velcro white and go figure, micheals was cheaper then joaans and with a coupon, its cheaper then online. The sticky back is pretty strong, and its pretty ok for fabrics despite the warning that says, not recommended for fabrics. After rubbing and pressing a few times, the Velcro part is pretty sturdy, and its pretty resistant to peel, but not impossible. A small strip is all you really need. You probably have to hold on to the Velcro and not the fabric if you want to take off a piece of your costume or hold it so its not pulling the fabric. Its just in case not to accidentally do something to your costume. Its almost a small work out to pull it off. I might even uses this stuff for my helmet so it doesn't wiggle around, my fence net tights so the tights don't roll down, the cape so it stays in place, and even the backing.
Unread 02-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #24
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

Yay! My friend also suggested making it stronger with glue for support. I was wondering about sewing part of the Velcro onto the dress and glue the other half onto the jewel. Just need to make sure it doesn't sag. I'm thinking of using it for the cape too since it folds up word. I'm going to try to make those diamond tights out of teal and see if I can put them over suit (Maybe get a large pair so they can go over more?).

I found another Fi cosplay here. It looks wonderful and exactly how I plan to do my cloak (minus the neck part) she uses a wig and paint and it doesn't look bad at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narutokunobsess View Post
Yea its folded up because its made from pepakura and it really fits perfectly. I was hoping after taping the pattern pattern together and then cutting at the back where that crease is, that it would flatten properly as a pattern. I guess I predicted wrong XD. And also Im not planning to fold anything, since foam can heat up and curl naturally
I can only suggest to fold in the tabs and use double side (or roll up normal inside out) tape to put it on the foam? Then unfold the tabs and draw them since they don't really matter (if there are any tabs). If you make it a little bigger then the pattern then you can always take away then ad on to it. If you are not folding anything, you can still mark where you want to add heat and bend (unless you are not going to paint it).

Now back to more sanding ^^*

Last edited by ssoldiersaturn : 02-02-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Unread 02-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #25
narutokunobsess

Well, I guess I have to cover it on top of the foam. Ill use my styrafoam head as a model. Ahh *sigh* I can't wait any longer XD. I will be painting that, because my giant foam is white. I need to paint it anyway, because there isn't such thing as a plastic color foam.

The industrial velcro doesn't really need any sewing. Its pretty strong as is. But of course adding the glue will make it stronger (which i have not tried). Im hoping as well it doesn't sag, but I think since its resin and foam, its not really that heavy. And even if it is, you could try vecroling the dress (if there's extra fabric there) to the zentai suit to make it less saggy. Or if you want another option, theproplady recommended me to use jewlery pins instead of velcro, and hot gluing to the back. I feel more on the velcro, because its flatter and doesn't stick out as much as pins (plus I don't know what the holes will do to the fabric).

My cape Im really planning the measurements and angles out. I pretty much figured it out. Notice after the pleating theres a piece of fabric that hangs down in the back. Im guessing thats why the thing in the front wraps around the diamond oddly. The front cape is resing on the diamond And so Im really going to mimic that. Also, mine will not cover my neck since if you look closely on her chest, you can see her clavicle. I want the zentai suit to mimic that, and so the actual cloak will start below her shoulder.

The measurements are in place, but how do I make a really big object rounded? I can draw out triangles and basically what I want, but ovals, maybe. It would be a bit silly to hand draw what I want. Ill still draft it in thinking of triangles fashion, until I find out how to make objects rounder. Im guessin alot of poofyness is because of the pleated area and by ironing. Its still wraps around the shoulder properly.

Im kind of beefing about the cosplayer that the gathering is not close to fi's or alot of things. But then again, I should forgive them XD. Not everyone goes out and buys a zentai suit.

Im also getting the ideas from woman roman costumes. They have this drape on their tunic which simulates fi's pleating. And also, I might have to join the fabrics first before pleating it, other wise it might not light up right. Ill have to mark alot with tailor's chalk.

Ok here are the measurements I did. This chart explains it without the extra seam allowance. The actual cape size will be around 28 inches, but for the actual fabric, all you really need to do is measure the biggest spots, and how they proportionately relate it to one another. Not that hard, but it did give me a headache on trying to figure every thing out. The picture is the same as Hime's, just used pixlr to delete the unnecessary.

And here is the word document that is a jpeg before doing that picture.
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...817 424_n.jpg
Unread 02-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #26
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by narutokunobsess View Post
The front cape is resing on the diamond And so Im really going to mimic that. Also, mine will not cover my neck since if you look closely on her chest, you can see her clavicle. I want the zentai suit to mimic that, and so the actual cloak will start below her shoulder
That is exactly what I am doing with mine too which makes the zentai suit perfect for Fi. So I plan on sewing the cloak in the back and having it attached up front. I know I have those pins I could use for it (from another costume) but I really want it to be flat as possible. I see why people are making the neck for it though since they are not using the suits. I also made my diamond's base longer because of the cloak resting on it (and it's actually pretty big on her almost taking up her entire chest in the scene where you get the goddess sword and she lifts up her arms) and it looks pretty large in the first scene with her in it. The holiday's over so I should be getting my suit in a week and I can start getting matching fabric and paint. (I feel people will be beefed at mine because it's dark blue instead of purple but it's too late to make that change. It always looks blue in the game to me but I don't have an HD tv. I hope I can find a dark blue that shows purple in certain angles maybe since that would be dead on with the game play look and lighting -_-)
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #27
narutokunobsess

Well I think I'm going to fall back for the leg portion on the original color: black. I think its a bit of a hassle trying to sort through the color teal exactly for the tights (unless somehow they amazingly have a color). Illl wait till they reply and if they don't , Ill do your plan (get the black, purple blue) and get teal stockings and diamond tights separate from the zentai. Heck the fence net might even look better then those tights.

I just recently made a pattern for my cloak. I like how it is so far, but like I said, the lines are straight and not curvy on certain areas. Its need to be a oval shaped and stretched a bit outwards (where its pleating, and the outside). So a little fine tuning with my mom will work out. I wonder for the pleating, I could well bond some foam to help it stay up better? Dunno, thats just something in the future that will happen once I cut the pattern and the fabric out correctly.

For the blue, I could not find any blue the same color's as fi's. The silk purple was just a lucky one. What I did was used only the day light versions (because thats the time most people will see you), and a camera to see if it catches those blues. I feel whats important is when people take pictures of you especially with flash.

Also some fabrics do that because of the florescent lights. You can even see that purple fabric Im wearing has that reddish hint but in real life, its not really like that. Its just a plain purple.

You know the saying, different environments changes colors. It annoys me to no end. I remember painting a picture indoors and then once I took it outside, the blue color change to more of a green color. I wanted to bang my head. I'm not a camera expert, but I sure do learning things from drawing and painting.

The purple dress is made from dancewear fabric I believe and all my fabrics are from joaans except the blue backing which is from Beverly's.

Woot, praise to the accuracy. I wanna get this done by march (because the symphony comes up fast).

Edit:
I tried sealing the foam with an iron, and it wrinkled alot. I guess I didn't know how hard I was supposed to press down on foam. So I had to cut another piece out. Ill just probably will use just the stove top and only use the iron for details and not for sealing because of the wrinkles. Even so, it did erase alot of the foam holes, so it is good for sealing if you want to get that leather effect, but not for plain big armour pieces.

Also by a random chance of an ad on cosplay.com, you can get a custom colored split suit. They have purple, but unforntunately the color blue seems to vary, so I can't tell what the actual color is. I think royal blue would work, because one of the pictures with royal blue has a lighter lighting for it.
http://www.superfansuits.com/split-s...plit-suit.html

Oh theres a more specific custom page. Im going to ask if they can make the legs black.
http://superfansuits.com/split-suits...plit-suit.html

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 02-03-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Unread 02-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #28
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

Quote:
I could well bond some foam to help it stay up better? Dunno, thats just something in the future that will happen once I cut the pattern and the fabric out correctly.
I don't think it would hurt to try. I'm trying cardboard with mine in hopes I can get that wing affect when she moves her arms (given the pattern lets me do it). I put my new deadline to March as well (there is a small convention then). I have a gas stove so I had to get a heat gun (for my next project which might be Goddess Dress Zelda :P).

I'm leaning towards the fence net just because of all the layering of clothes I am doing already and my dress is form fitting so other stocking may show through but I just wish it was thicker. The one was nice but see through on the lines in between where it connected. I have a Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's around (Maybe a Micheal's too but I didn't think they had fabric). Sorry about the foam getting wrinkly, the tutorial tells you what to use but not to what extent so test and error are required.

The split suits don't look bad but can you get them without being split on the face? It's kind of useless for Fi otherwise even if you get the legs a third color. I imagine on the more custom you could ask?

So Tumblr has been hiding some Fi cosplayers (two who are going to the same convention in February, one doing a wig and one doing a helmet I thought was funny they were so different but doing the same character for the same convention). I really love how this turned out with pleating the top but it is also with the neck piece where we wouldn't have one.

Last edited by ssoldiersaturn : 02-04-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Unread 02-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #29
HarlequinRose
Collecter of Awesome Hats

I hate Amazing Mold Putty.
I was using it to make a cast for the jewel, but peeling off the papercraft that took an hour to print and make, the mold and the papercraft were destroyed. So I wasted $20 for a giant wad of rubber :/
Does anyone know any other cheap ways to make a pretty big mold? I'm limited on supplies, and Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays so I can't go tomorrow.
HarlequinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #30
kitsch_brigade

So I know you can make a mold with foam if you have that around, you need to seal it with tape. This method is shown in a YouTube video theproplady that I'm pretty sure narutokunobsess linked earlier in the thread. Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't dig up the link. That's the simplest method I know of that I think it's most likely you would have the supplies on hand.
kitsch_brigade is offline   Reply With Quote