Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Unread 02-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #31
narutokunobsess

Quote:
I don't think it would hurt to try. I'm trying...
Well i mean like only the areas where its pleated so it stays up properly. But then again, yea glueing the foam there would really help out. And foam is pretty stiff after its glued on to fabric. I would get a heat gun, but Im cheap, so all I have is an iron, the stove and those fire lighters. I used a fire lighter for the diamond, and it really did pop those bubbles. But you have to hold it really close.
Quote:
I'm leaning towards the fence net just because of all the layering of clothes I am doing already and my dress is form fitting so other stocking may show through but I just wish it was thicker. The one was nice but see through on the lines in between where it connected. I have a Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's around (Maybe a Micheal's too but I didn't think they had fabric). Sorry about the foam getting wrinkly, the tutorial tells you what to use but not to what extent so test and error are required.
I do have an idea to make that layering effect. Have the diamond stockings (black) and the teal fence net stockings. Then it will look double layered. Then again, it could look a bit silly XD.

Apparently according to some people some Micheals may carry fabric. Mine though does not. I wish I had a hobby lobby, they closed down sometime ago. If you do have joaans, you pretty much will find all the fabric I found there, except for the backing.

I think it got wrinkly because ironing foam isn't like ironing fabric. So if you iron normally on clothing, it really pushes the foam out. Its kind of like when your rolling out dough, it does flatten and smooth out, but it gets more filmsy as you push with the iron. So you have to pick up the iron alot higher I guess. Too heavy.

Quote:
The split suits don't look bad but can you get them without being split on the face...
Oh forgot to ask that too XD. I still haven't gotten a reply from them yet, but if I can get reply, Ill ask if they can make the helmet blue.

So Tumblr has been hiding some Fi cosplayers .....
I love the person with the helmet. Though the problem with that one, is that the mask is a male mask. I wonder if this person trying to acheive a gender switched fi XD.

I love the pleating on the helmet fi person. Though the cape is still not there yet for that one, but its closest one I like so far. Ahh Im very picky about cosplays being a bit off when Im cosplaying it XD.

I think the link you posted is broken about the pleating, but I think your talking about helmet fi right?

@ Harlequin rose
Anyways, from just looking at that fi cosplay, and remembering before, most likely I need to attach the top cape first to the center, so then it pleats and evenly fits with each other. Then after, everything else references to that part of the cape. My mother and I will work out the technicalities tommorrow (hopefully). I just have to remember to also iron my pleating too XD.

I did use papercraft, but I don't think I would advise using putty. Putty is nothing like mold builder. In fact proably mold builder is a bit cheaper then the putty. You have to first, make sure its a really hard paper, and yet still foldable. And that the paper has some sort of slick surface (which can be painted on such as soap, or something else has a smooth surface.) I think mold builder is a bit more controllable because its not putty, its a type of latex. You can just paint it on, lightly at first, but become more generous to strengthen a bit. Then after a while, you can add some gauze to it, to strenghten the mold. And yes, your paper craft will be destroyed. If you added alot of soap and peel it slowly, most of it comes off fairly easy after doing the mold builder. In any shape or form, you push the back a bit and start pealing all the edges a bit, before peeling all at once.

The only thing after this, is trying to balance it correctly before casting. I used this cutting board to make sure my cast was even. Or build a box for it.

If your paper is rough and the cast comes out as a rough surface, don't worry too much. If you just add a ton of layers of varnish, it will be super shiny again. Or someone also said to just coat another layer of the resin.

And cheap, you can just print out coupons and get friends to buy an item using the coupons. Pretty much just abide by store policy. My project would of been $400+ if it wasn't for my coupons strategy. Instead its like below $300. Maybe dare I say it, $250.

And yea, foam is apparently an option, but that big for a pyramid shape? I don't know, since your going to have to build the mold in such a way so the pyramid stands up right. Still, yea if your interested, search for theproplady on youtube or google. Or if your just lazy click here.

She also says tagboard, but that just a fancy word for paperboard. It just confused me to no end to know what she meant by tag board until I saw the last video for backing gems. I think she suggested tag board because its smooth heavy weight paper, so probably you don't have to use soap. Plus the tape makes it a whole lots better.

For tips on resin, use your breath, or a fire lighter for the bubbles. Puffing cause the carbon dioxide to make bubbles disappear, while fire lighter mimics a blow torch which can also take away bubbles.

Unread 02-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #32
kitsch_brigade

I found a better blue at spandex world so now I'm waiting for samples again. I've got another costume to finish before fi but I just can't stop thinking about working on it! I have yet to get a chance to print out what should finally be the right size pepakura so progress feels like it is at a standstill. Maybe I'll make a venture to the 24 hour FedEx office so I can have something to busy my hands with. Glad to see at least you guys are making good progress~
kitsch_brigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #33
narutokunobsess

Im having some progress with my zentai, though the person emailing me is a bit shakey. The person keeps on saying a detached hood, probably because I said cut instead of seam. I though I was pretty clear, but I guess not. They didn't get me the first time.

And the person asked me for another of the same picture, which I don't understand why since I email it to her and I was expecting the person to actually keep it the first time >>. Oh wells, enough complaining, and show some customer service support. As soon as its resolved, Ill finally be done trying to order my zentai and my buying phase will be complete. Although just in case, Ill buy the spanx tights on my bday (which is this month), and try it on.

Slowly this week, my stuff for my diamond is shipping in. My hi temp glue came in today and two more things, the dupli paints stuff, will be the color of the backing for the diamond. I think it would be good to spray it chrome shiny blue because, of the incorrect coloring of the diamond as said before and of course it gives the shiny effect as would silver tag board would do. Also dupli is heat resistant, so good enough for me to work with hot glue. Ill try to finish the diamond this week I hope.
Unread 02-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #34
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

The company might have lost the first photo? And needed a second once. I really hope they understood what you want.

It seems to be going very slowly for me at the moment too. My zentai actually got lost in the mail which was why I didn't get it before the companies holiday deadline...X_x Luckily they are sending a second one so I should get it late next week. OMG sanding...I'm still not done and just added another coat of clay to it. Here it is after the first sanding. My jewel base is giving me a hard time as I can't get it to be even but I'm still trying. I'll have a photo of the dress soon but it's nothing special since the only thing that might be shiny on my costume is the chest diamond. (And even that I might tone down since it doesn't really do that either on the game).
ssoldiersaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #35
narutokunobsess

The company seems to now get what I'm saying. I hop she does the arm too for added camafloge. After one to two emails and PayPal, I'm all set to go. Cost $64 (42+ 22).

Awe that's too bad. Hopefully the second one cones in faster. Looking great so far though. The helm looks great so far though that line may be noticable? Dunno. I found that phi's helmet doesn't seem to be too attached to your head. And of course, best way to sand is use a electronic one.

I got my paint but a bit disapointed on the photo on Amazon. The chrome didn't seem as shiny ( like mirror reflective) blue. Oh well, as long as it shines in the light , I'm OK with it. Or is there a paint I can add to make it mirror reflective on the car spray? We will have to see. I did a test but in the process it got too wet. So that test failed and today ill try again.
Unread 02-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #36
kitsch_brigade

ssoldiersaturn: I love how it looks, you've done a great job with the base.
kitsch_brigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #37
IchiBLEACHcake

Does anyone happen to have a pattern or something for Fi's cape? I'm a little at loss for how to start it =/
IchiBLEACHcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #38
BlameTheOwls

I've been following this thread for a couple weeks now and I'm finally going to actually JOIN the conversation
So far I've spent about $90 and I have almost all of my materials. And that's, like, half of what some of you spent, which makes me somewhat nervous. I haven't really done much cosplay before (only 2 cons), but I feel like my Fi is turning out well so far.
I decided to go the shimmery/shiny route rather than the plastic, mostly because I found a shimmer satin in an absolutely perfect shade of purple. I've finished the dress and the tights. The mask (which I'm starting to hate because I feel like the lips have no definition. Meh, I've got until April to figure it out) is done and I just finished the frames for my wings last night.

Tights
Fabrics and mask together
Completed mask (though it looks white in this picture)
Dress
Wing frame
Wing with fabric mock-up

I haven't started working on the hair/helmet or the jewel at all, saving the worst for last I guess.
I'd love some feedback since you're all awesome and seem to actually know what you're doing.

Last edited by BlameTheOwls : 02-09-2012 at 03:14 AM.
BlameTheOwls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #39
narutokunobsess

Well im doing my cape from scratch and I think everyone else is too so far. The measuring for the top is easy, the problem is making all those curves. It depends how you want the cape to rest on too and most of the cosplayers have it around the neck. For me and ss soilder, we are not going any higher then the clavicle. Her cape I think of it as like doing rosalina's white thing, making a cape, and then making a quilt all in one.

How I have the pattern so far is non curvy, but measured to how I wanted it. Start with a rectangle will help. The rectangle represents the height of the cape, and the widith of the cape. Height is how tall you want your cape to be not including the pleating, and then length is from the center of the body to the side of the arm. The plan is to have it into the three parts, the pleat layer, then the gathered layer, and then the backing. The most important part to do first is the pleat layer, because afterwards. I think I should try making a picture tomorrow or something so its easier to explain how I plan it out.

But of course that's my plan and per say Im not too excellent in sewing, but a good visionary. Maybe try studying the cosplayers that ssoildersaturn posted who have done the cape already.
Unread 02-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #40
IchiBLEACHcake

I saw one cosplayer on DA who had done the costume and the cape really looked great. The only thing is that I want the creases around her shoulder to really be pronounced, so I was going to put strip of foam badding underneath to pronounce them. It really that part I'm most worried about, I guess, especially if using satin. That stuff runs like crazy.

Here's said cosplayer: http://Devynae.deviantart.com/art/Fi...word-282150558

Last edited by IchiBLEACHcake : 02-09-2012 at 10:49 AM.
IchiBLEACHcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #41
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

@ kitsch: Thank you so much! I'm working steadily on it to get it to look right. Which means hours more of sanding so I can get it the smooth look Fi has.

@ narutokunobsess: Thank you. The helmet is almost too attach to my head which is my concern for when the suit gets to me. I curved the side hair as much as I could to still get it on. I really wish I could have got them to curve in more (I might try with the foam on 2.0). Sadly I don't have the electronic sander so I have to do it by hand X_x (20+ according to the tutorial). There a paint you can add to make it mirror reflective on the car spray I imagine, I think the guy who made the hyrulean shield and sword out of fiberglass used some of it but I could just be mistaking it for actual car spray which you can just get that and spray over it.

@ IchiBLEACHcake: I saw her's too and really liked it. This I'd like the creases to look more like this cosplayer which I think she just pleated them to stand out. I saw another at Ohayo's con who did similar to this as well. I've heard the tales and horrors of satin. ^^* Not sure if I will be using it yet or not but it gives Fi the right shine.

@BlametheOwls: It's good to have you here! It's great for all of us working together on this. You said your deadline was April, you don't happen to be going to ACEN are you (Just curious because I'm going with this costume and it would be great to meet you ^^)?

Sadly your links are broken (completed mask to wing frame), I'd really like to see those if you can fix them. From your last photo, you are on the right track with your cloak. I really like how your face paint and fabric match! I'm hoping to get that same effect when I finally get my suit. Your tights look like they have chalk on them(I'm sure that's just the camera no need to worry ^^)! Did you paint them? They look good. It's good to save the hard stuff for last (I'm doing the complete opposite X_x). I've heard people cussing out the cloak more then anything else in this project strangely but maybe because it's sewing.
ssoldiersaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #42
narutokunobsess

@Blametheowls
I don't think you have to worry too much about spending alot. Its good that your budgeting yourself anyway. I was originally spending 150, but the zentai pushed it up to $200. The budgeting varies anyway. Alot of the fi cosplayers we seen don't have a zentai sut as of right now. As long as it looks good its fine.
And cosplay for me? Im a begginer sewer and I consider pleating, and gathering all part of basic sewing. So don't worry, we are all trying to figure her out, but we can say is that she more figured out then 1 month ago.

The purple fabric for the cape may concern me, but then again it might shine red anyway if you face it in the light in a certain way.

The tights are really nice actually. I love it.

All for me is the color Im concerned about, but then again, cameras are probably different from what Im seeing on screen and Im sure as long as the main colors are the same, people won't care. Just keep looking at fi over and over again and look at you too.

And yea, some of the links are broken, but even so, I clapp on your progress.

Literally if you know some math, the diamond isn't hard. I compare how big my diamond was and then My dad and I just did the pythagorean thereom to figure out the slant height. Then you use like an image editor to make your pattern foldable. I should post the foldable online.

Fi's helmet is a bit hard, just because there isn't a perfect patter to go with. Even pepakura doesn't help me that much since Im making' fi's helm out of foam. Though it can help because I can use it as a 3D reference.

IchiBLEACHcake
In theory its more on how you put the patter together and then pleat it and then bat the back. I actually measure each pleat I want to do on my cape. I approximately used 2 inches, because where the pleat ends is around your elbow. The first row is 4 (2inches for top and 2inches bottom), second row will be 3.33+2, because the second top is like a third off of the third pleat. Then the third is 4+2.

I also made the cape at the top an angle so it would hang down more on the shoulder.

But when I was talking about the foam to hold the pleats up, I don't know what will happen if I put it on satin or silk. Ive never tried it before. But, from theory on seen alot of fabrics used for backing on foam, it should really stiffen up anyway. I was thinking of ironing the pleats because then maybe it would stick up better and hope fully?? Then Ill try on a scrap piece gluing foam and see how it goes.

And oh we did mention the cosplayer earlier and she is wonderful. She pretty much is close to the cosplay.

@ssoildersaturn
Thats what I thought you were using. At least its by hand. I guess its more natural then usual.

Also I was a bit wrong about not being shiny because I couldn't tell at night, but during the day, its pretty shiny. So just gonna use that.

I have most of my materials now to make something, and so since this forum is getting more popular, I should try gluding the back cutting my Fi helm, and finishing up my diamond this weekend. And Ill also try to write up some tutorials and post stuff. .
Unread 02-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #43
narutokunobsess

Print out of the diamond pyramid:
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...5741 46_n.jpg

To custom make your diamond pyramid you need the pythagorean therom, a ruler, fi as a reference, and you as a proportional reference.
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...220 087_n.jpg

A some what simple tutorial of what I did for fi's cape and some stuff of what Im going to do.

Just remeber, measure the heighest height and the widest width to get your measurements right. Compare to you and fi's to see if it fits and looks right

Curves are easy with a huge compasses. Step one is to get the widith of the circle, which means drawing a line to point a to point b. Step two is to divide it in half and that will be where your compass sits and also mid point. Step three is to find the height of the curve which is to measure how much you want from the mid point you want and then with the top of that point in mind, draw the curve. You can also try only by thinking of half (as only measuring to the mid point and drawing only half of the circle.
Unread 02-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #44
BlameTheOwls

It would appear that the forum doesn't want to post my non-broken links...let's try again.

Wing frame
Dress (with the saturation bumped up so it's closer to its real-life color)
Mask

@ssoldiersaturn
I'm going to Sakura-con in Seattle. My tights DO have chalk on them because I used it to trace out the pattern before I painted them, I just need to dust them off better. I feel like making the cloak WITHOUT a frame sounds so much harder. I wanted the wings to be stiff so I could dance around like Fi at con

@narutokunobsess
I'm not worried about the geometry involved with the diamond, more what to make it out of and how to attach it, right now I'm thinking of using that crayola model magic stuff since it's super light weight and I can carve more detail into it than I could papier-mache. I made a frame for my hair out of wire mesh earlier tonight so I can start papier-macheing that soon.

Also, am I the only one who feels like a lot of people have the diamond too low on their chest, or am I just being OCD?

Last edited by BlameTheOwls : 02-10-2012 at 07:09 AM.
BlameTheOwls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #45
narutokunobsess

Blametheowls
For the wired framed, I was concern if I did use wired, I wold really scratch up and weaken the fabric in the cape. Even if you sand it a bit, its still pointy enough to poke through the fabric. I would like to see your effect anyway.

We said cardboard or foam, since its flatter and a bit safer for fabric. I think wired mesh maybe also safe, but I don't know.

Hmm, maybe I should try finding some cardboard around the house and pasting the height all together to get that wing effect. I wasn't really that concerned with it, till now since Im getting all excited for it. It would be a good thing because then you can do all of shapes at once and just build on top of it and just get it to fit and see better. I might do that.

Quote:
I'm not worried about the geometry involved with the diamond, more what to make it out of and how to attach it, right now I'm thinking of using that crayola model magic stuff since it's super light weight and I can carve more detail into it than I could papier-mache.
Well what ever you can do is fine. I just put it up anyway just so people can reference it or something. Pretty much for model magic, you need to probably add primer or something so that the paint doesn't peel or crack. Research as always.

I even found a cosplay.com tutorial for painting model magic: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=183790

And attaching, the proplady told me hot gluing pins to the back of the object. Since im using a lycira suit, cosplay.com does not recommend pins and so im just going with industrial strenght velcro. Very sturdy stuff and especially if you just sew it on.

Quote:
I made a frame for my hair out of wire mesh earlier tonight so I can start papier-macheing that soon.
All I can say is good luck and hope for the best.

Maybe, but then also, people don't realize how big the frame and the diamond is. It starts at the clavicle and ends below her chest. For me, I probably have to make a pretty big frame for it to work, since my diamond is a bit smaller then what I liked it to be. And don't worry, Im being also pretty nit picky about doing this costume too.