Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Unread 02-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #46
BlameTheOwls

narutokunobsess
I'm planning on putting paper on some really cheap fabric over the frame before the actual wing fabric so the fabric won't sink into the grid of wires as much. Didn't really think about the fabric snagging, so I'm glad I already planned to circumvent that!
BlameTheOwls is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #47
narutokunobsess

Oh good. It would of been really odd if you didn't XD.

I still not sure what to do for mine. Im probably going to go with cardboard, foamboard, yoga mats. since I don't think I have enough fun foam for all of it. I just need a place to get it. I should ask around and maybe ask my mother. I guess with the cardboard option, Ill have to back it with paper mache (ake, elmer's glue XD).

And just by thinking of it, probably the only area it curves is the top.

A recipie for paper mache:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.ph...96#post2628796

I have no ideas. Maybe Ill ask my mother later on this subject since last I tried to ask, she didn't finish her sentence.

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 02-12-2012 at 10:14 PM.
narutokunobsess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #48
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

So I got my dress done on Saturday. See here! This is what it looks like on me. It's not shiny but has the look and I will be cutting off the top when the sentai suit comes in but till then I don't want to touch it since I need the cloak made to make measurements. The helmet...is going to take me a while more then I thought. I put a second coat of the paper clay and it seems I had put it on too thick so I need to fix that plus get it smooth. My diamond is finally finished though and ready for the sealing coat. (Still no paint yet because my suit is not here.)

I used Mod Podge for my paper mache and it worked really nicely and even as a sealer too. I was wondering how one would paper mache wire mesh, I normally see it for wigs. It shouldn't be too hard making a cloak WITHOUT a frame sounds but the way her cloak is...it's a challenge for sure to get the effect of the game. I will probably dance around the convention too if I can get that effect! I got a yoga mat and cardboard to see what gives me the best effect for the cloak (and hope it holds).

Last edited by ssoldiersaturn : 02-13-2012 at 01:08 PM.
ssoldiersaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #49
kitsch_brigade

BlameTheOwls: Oh I hope to see you there then! My Fi won't be debuting until Kumoricon due to already planned projects, but I will be there.
kitsch_brigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #50
narutokunobsess

@ssoildersaturn. Your progress is looking great. For me, if you didn't see before, I just did regular piping. It looks nice any way.

My mom and I will cut the dress mostly when we get our cape done. You can easily simulate the suit by wearing a thin long sleeve shirt.

And helmet, well take your time. I should at least try it this weekend and finishing the diamond, backing, frame(because its president's day weekend). After the helmet and the diamond, all I have left is the cape and getting my zentai ordered.

For paper macheing, usually wire mesh is done with gauze, instead of just stuff. I did some gauze strips to cover it. And oh, it would be helpful to see which looks better. In a way, both are pretty stiff as is. Cardboard though youll have to cut lines on the inside to get that curve.

Uggh finally on the last day of the targetted shipping, I got the tights, and I LOVE THEM. Its slighlty a paint to get the stockings off the packaging, and I think you really got to treat these with care as they are only held by small strings laces. I also swear that what Im looking at, maybe a bit more yellow. I also did fear that they couldn't go high enough, but they are. They can go as high as your legs can, despite what the picture shows on the package. They are pretty conforatable. You can also adjust each of the diamonds a bit (since they are all laced.

Of course, only thing is that they may ride down since these are stockings that don't wear to the butt, only your legs. So I just need to probably use some of that fabric plastic tape to keep it up.

A picture here of what I have so far done.
Unread 02-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #51
BlameTheOwls

I'm kind of jealous of everyone's dresses. I didn't use a long enough zipper for mine so I wasn't able to get to to fit my waist as well as I'd like or I woulsn't have been able to get it on.

Boiling a pot of shredded paper for my paper mache. I'm impatient and it's taking forever (she said 15 minutes after she started boiling)

Three hours later: Well, that failed. Way too lumpy, even after running it through the blender. Trying again with toilet paper.

Last edited by BlameTheOwls : 02-14-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #52
narutokunobsess

Mine does not have a zipper. Its just four pieces fitted together. My mother tailoed it mostly so I have to thank her once this ps all over.

Hmmm... never heard of the boiling water method. But I guess its not wrong to try.
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #53
BlameTheOwls

I was making pulp to try and add some more dimensionality to my hair, you boil it to break the paper down, then you just squeeze the water out, add glue or stayflo or whatever and use it as kind of a plaster or clay.

Last edited by BlameTheOwls : 02-14-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Unread 02-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #54
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

@ BlameTheOwls: I actually modified a Forever 21 turtle neck shirt I found at goodwill. It was really stretchy and I took the sleeves to make the lower end of the dress. I can't really sew except for the basics which is why I am getting assistance once the suit come in (sometime this or next week *crosses fingers*) for the cloak. The cloak should hide a lot of your dress so there is no worries. Can't wait to see yours though.

@ Narutokunobsess: Oh my gosh! I'm really liking those tights! I was a little worried about the see through parts on them but you can barely tell from your photo! Thank you very much! I'll have to go get me some of those now. The helmet is just annoying but I'm going to keep at it, I have the way I want it to look but making it look smooth is a very slow process.
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #55
narutokunobsess

@ BlameTheOwls I could tell a bit about making pulp. Its just never heared about making paper mache before. THough Ive done the strip recipies. Interesting.

@ssoldiersaturn I love em too. I just need to get it so it stays up.

Although if any of you are still interested in the black diamond tights, I recently got an email there a 20% off coupon for ordering on spanx. Free shipping as usual. You can easily find the coupon on google or just click here:
http://www.retailmenot.com/showcoupon/3305946/view11/

And the tights are this one:
http://www.spanx.com/product/index.j...entPage=search

Although I read a customer review that these tights are not totally black, which might be a problem anyway.

Last I checked, that supplier for the stockings I have, only has one teal plus size left. I guess if you guys really like these tight, beg that supplier XD.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THIGH-HI-ENF...em5 d265d2d87

Well good luck on the helmet. And also keep me posted on the cape . I really would like to try see a good effect for that weird flatness that fi has on her cape.

I have to make sure to do my anatomy homework so I can finish everything on Thursday and friday. Saturday is AOD and the Deviantart meet.

Edit: I finally finish backing my diamond today, It took me four trie and even on the fourth try, I never had enough to glue. So after pressing down and gluing, it looked very uneven in alot of areas. It reach to only make a circle and not a diamond. I was not fast enough. But then I just had this genious idea of ironing the backing, so that giant pool of glue would heat up and fill in the areas.

It actually work out really well as the dead spots or spots that had no glue, had lessen alot. I may have to iron a bit more because there still are small dead marks.

I also have to becareful, because Im ironing poster board on the back (and paper is really flamable. It won't take out all the marks but it will take out at least enough so its not very noticable.

Also the dupli paints wasn't quite what I expected, but I have to go with it. March is comming soon.

Edit2, here is my finish product of the diamond without the frame. You can see the dupli paint is only doing its job as a color, not a very shiny surface reflecting like chrome silver spray paint. I also made a mistake trying to take out the rice, which now the diamond has a crack on top.

Other views on the diamond:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...537 819_n.jpg
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...246 351_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...66545876_n.jpg

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 02-18-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Unread 02-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #56
BlameTheOwls

Got my chest and forehead diamond sculpted from model magic this evening... only took 2 hours to get it "perfect", oy. Now to play the waiting game for three days before I get to prime and paint it.
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #57
narutokunobsess

I had to really sculpt out my fi helmet. I made a few mistakes and now one of the top bangs is forever wrinkled. Its the bigger bangs in the front

I have no idea how to flatten foam, other then just maybe after backing the foam can straighten the foam out, between two heavy book perhaps? I might do that first before adding the bangs underneath in the front.

Front:http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...3204 25_n.jpg

Side
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...593 343_n.jpg

Edit: I have actually correct a bit of the problem. I was worrying a bit too much. All I did was use my history book to flatten it out again. And then to make it more curvy, I use the book and the iron together. Also I glue the shapes in which really helped out alot to pull the hair clumps the way I want it to look like. Im on to lining it now and that is drying currently. After that, tommorrow is sealing it and then after that, is painting time. Yay. Almost done.

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 02-22-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #58
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

Still playing the waiting game here X_x (any day now actually) but I got my jewel's done now (minus paint). And still working hard on the helmet (Kind of got busy again with life and had to stop for a little bit) I can't believe one piece is holding me up from finishing >_<.

I got those tights and they look really nice when I tried them with tights. <3 Over the weekend two conventions happened and I was Fi search FOREVER. I'm starting to wonder if people really hate her that much...(I love her and she never bothered me as much as people are claiming.) or they are hiding from the camera...>_> Most photos are taken from Saturday and I know at least one Fi didn't wear her's on Saturday.

Katsucon

Megacon

Both of these are really good examples on the finish product. (One wig and one helmet even!) I still believe if you do a wig you should taking the route as making a good wig for Cloud. But the one at Megacon I can accept happily. Didn't think about just closing your eyes with paint though and she did exactly the same thing I did for my chest jewel!

The Katsucon one gave me an idea with the sentai suits. Instead of making it attach able on the front, Sew the front and the back together and just throw it over! That way you can get the ^ effect of the cloth Fi has over her jewel. She did the tights over shoes it looks like and gives it the right effect which is really nice! For now though I think I will stick to the shoes.
Unread 02-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #59
narutokunobsess

Im glad you liked the tights. I love them too. Just need to hold em up with a garter belt probably. I think some peoples do hate her (considering her a tad bit annoyance), but I still consider this fi cosplay really early to call even though its been known about, and the game has been out for awhile.

Those are pretty good. But we can still make it better lol.

Woah the wig for cloud looks awsome, In fact if you do take the route the final product looks bulky and plasticy enough that it actually looks like the game hair.

Sew the front and back? You mean to sew the jewel somehow? Are you saying for that draping thing on top of her diamond that you sew it? I think from observing the back, the reason for that drape is that extra fabric that shows in the back, but then again, sewing may help it to stay up.

SHOES were really hard to find and extra hard with my mom complaining that I was super picky. In the end, we bought the shoes with stiches on it.

For me, the backing of helmet from yesterday was pretty much a sucess.Not only it holds down the helmet, but it really fits my head. Course like your problem, its too fitted to my head then I originally thought, which means I don't think I can wear a mask underneath.

Currenty the only problem is the two small clumps that curve around her face. Wonder how in the world Im going to keep that hair down with foam? Any ideas? Maybe thats done with the zentai suit? Im just a tad worried that the paint might crack if I curve it after(since working with spray paints takes alot of cracks if bended ).
Unread 02-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #60
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

You would just have the cloak rest on the jewel. You would need to have the jewel done and on the dress then make the measurements and pin the cloak so it makes a ^ while sitting on you and so your normal head can fit through then sew it up. Then you would be putting it on before the helmet and mask but not before the sentai suit.

I was lucky with my shoes here w/o the gold on it at the good will along with the shirt I'm using for the dress.

You want to bend and shape it way before applying paint. There is no detail painitng involved so it shouldn't be done till the helmet is the way you like it. I'd try to add heat and curve it little by little till it gets close (and still can fit your head in or put it on).

I've seen a lot of blogging about people just finishing the skyward sword too so that may change things a little but she's not THAT bad.