Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.83 average.
Unread 02-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #61
zaffie

I kinda finished the paper mache helmet. I've been busy with college/being lazy, but I just need to touch it up a bit!

Here's a side view:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3160090/

I need to fix one of the side parts then it'll be golden.

Cosplay:

Midna(The Legend of Zelda): 100%!
Phi(The Legend of Zelda): 100%
Eska (Legend of Korra): 10%
zaffie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #62
narutokunobsess

@zaffie
It looks good. The only thing I would said is the under parts of her hair isn't that present, other then that I don't think alot of peps at the con would care that much lol.

All you need to do is find things to smooth out the news paper which Im certain you figured that out already.

@ssoildersaturn
I guess I kind of understand what your saying. Im thinking that with the diamond in mind, I don't think I want to permantly attach the diamond as its backed with poster board.

And it does look like I may need gold acrylic paint. I was planning to spray paint the border, but then I didn't think properly. Maybe I can mask out the diamond somehow with a bunch of masking tape?

Updatesssss:
Well I finalized my order with my zentai suit and so they should be done tailoring within a week. They will show a photo of it before shipping (so its good to get it right before shipping it). Though since its getting close, I might as well just take it, despite how not right the color is. They say it takes 2 weeks to deliver so, yay. ITs a good price too (42 + 20).

Also my helmet is almost done. I just got to layer some gloss spray and varnish before calling it done!!!
This is photos with just the larkspur blue paint on:

I was planning to only paint 5 layers of this, top and bottom, but it came out to 10 or more + fix ups layers of modge podge and hot glue. The reason for modge podge is the ink from the sharpie apparetly leaked alot, and no matter how many times I painted it, they would not go away. So I had to add some modge podge so the spray paint can paint over the red spots.

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 02-26-2012 at 09:32 PM.
narutokunobsess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:49 AM   #63
BlameTheOwls

For shoes, I'm just using an old pair of jazz shoes that I had lying around.

Laced

They also come in a slip-on, laceless version

Slip-on

They make a pretty smooth transition from shoe to tights because they're so thin, if you don't want to mess with wearing the shoes UNDER your tights. But they definitely don't have as much of a heel as they should.

Last edited by BlameTheOwls : 02-27-2012 at 01:53 AM.
BlameTheOwls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #64
narutokunobsess

I would suggest the slip on, if you want to go with accuracy.

I have those slip on too. I did those for my noodle outfit at one point.
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #65
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

@zaffie: Your helmet looks good! I can't wait to see the rest of it.

@narutokunobsess: So does your helmet. I'm not going to permanently attach the diamond to the dress, I was going to use the Velcro, but that does need to be done so I can adjust the cloak to where it needs to be.

Quote:
And it does look like I may need gold acrylic paint. I was planning to spray paint the border, but then I didn't think properly. Maybe I can mask out the diamond somehow with a bunch of masking tape?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'm painting the bottom of my jewel 's base to match my dress just in case it pops out a little. I'm really happy about your sentai suit and I'm afraid I can't even recommend the one I ordered mine from anymore. (Deadline is this week or getting a refund and I will probably order one from where you got yours, how it turns out when it comes in will depend if I keep the link up or not >_<). It's really nice for them to give you photos of it first! I which I got that and that's not a bad price at all.

@Blametheowls: I like the slip-on's too. I think you could get away with the heel on those actually. In the game, the heel is just present not very defined are high and the photo looks like a small heel and that could really work.

@Update: I got the sanding done on the helmet but I still have "spots" that sanding is not going to get rid of and layering more paper clay will just make it get worse and more different spots. (I did not have this issue with the jewel or the base but I think that is because of the size.) So I'm going to try vinyl spackling the spots and then sand again. I feel so behind now though.
ssoldiersaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #66
narutokunobsess

Well the thing is what I did so far is I traced the diamond on the poster board and then measure and calculated the frame out. Then I figured I just glued the diamond on my posterboard to make it visually. I was thinking of having the diamond there as a reference for the frame height that I should glue the frame together and to the diamond and then spray paint. But I forgot about the diamond in the equation since if I spray the frame, I might spray the diamond too. So it might be better if I hand brushed the gold instead of spraying it. Or of course I could just cut the plan I did or use a bunch of masking tape so it doesn't spray the diamond.

If you have like bumps or certain imperfections, the painting process, and varnishing may get rid of some of it. I notice how thick my painting layer was, and the glue gun really helped sealing some creases up. I think by sealing it well, most of the bumps should be less notacible or go away. But of course, getting it right the first time is better.

They told me it takes a week to tailor and 2 weeks to ship. Though I think its because its china lol. You can even ask for no socks/ leggings if you like too and it cost 10 less. Of course I could of gotten it by today, at least, but I kept forgetting on having my mom measuring my body. So thats what really sapped my time away.

They have alot of good colors too. They even have a reddish purple if you want to match more of her color. But then again, I can't tell by the internet.

Im pretty much done. From these pictures, its done. Its just today I found out I miss a few spots underneath. I spray two layers of UV gloss thing, so it protect from UV rays I guess. Then add polytherane gloss 3 layers. I used polytherane because I notice on my bottle it dries like a plastic and also shiny, so it creates a good plastic effect. The polytherane is pretty flexible (the same stuff I used on my diamond.), as long as you don't push too hard, but at least its more flexible then with out the shine. Like if you even push the other way with the spray paint, it really cracks. The poly helps its stability. The only thing is some brush strokes were left over, but not really that noticible. You can also get rid of those by layering more of the polytherane.

Some new photos with the finish helmet:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...4744 99_n.jpg

I wonder if I actually should of weathered it a bit. Its not super blue when in the shade. Oh well, its too late now lol. I was really trusting more of the day time colors. Where its darker, her hair tends to be more blue, which this laquer blue amazingly does that.
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #67
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

That is pretty sweet! Where are you ordering your sentai suit from again? I was looking and couldn't find it (I might have missed it some where in here, I will have to update information again too soon). I don't think I would weather it since Fi is kind of 'shiny and new plastic' effect most of the time (would be interesting for a later one type cosplay) because then you need to weather the mask (that will be under neigh possibly) and even the jewel base needs to match. As far as the jewel base you are doing, I'd see if the masking tape leaves any marks on your jewel (I highly doubt it) and if not, then just cover it with tape (not too tightly though). Will the cardboard do justice for your resin mold though or even strong enough?

My problem was when I first sand the helmet I ended up with deep spots so I added more paper clay but I guess I added it too thick and it made the helmet all 'bubbly' and I added more paper clay and it seem like it was just getting more and more uneven. However I did use the vinyl spackling last night and it did the trick so I can cover the other little stuff with mod podge. So now I can sand the rest spackling and add mod podge and sand again for a smooth surface. ^_^ And then sometime next week (given the suit comes in this week) I will go shopping with my friend for the fabric of the cloak and paint. So I am 75% done.

I'm going to hand paint my jewel and it looks like I will be spraying the base since I need it to have a metal / plastic appearance like the helmet and the mask (if I use the mask on top of the sentai). This is pretty much why the jewel and the base are separate so I can glue them once they are both painted.

It feels good to be out of the slump and back to work again.
Unread 02-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #68
narutokunobsess

Its trustedeals and you just choose the tailor section. They can do the split, the hood, and the legs.
http://www.trustedeal.com/

I was actually more talking about adding a bit of depth through using weathering. The plastic effect on that is done because I added a ton of varnish. Its kind of like pixelninja's backing for zelda's diamond. She uses a darker pigment of the the color to add a bit more depth. She painted her backing from the center to outwards, light to dark. If you look at the helmet, the areas where its suppost to have some more blue, doesn't. But oh well, like I said, I added the varnish already, so its a bit late and it looks good as is.

I don't think it will. Its pretty much varnished alot so it won't have the effect of leaving marks. Thats the purpose of masking tape or artist tape. They are low quality stickiness. And even if it leaves any marks, you can go over with the polythurane again. I LOVE YOU DURACLEAR VARNISH. The only time when it leaves something is that if the tape is left in the sun for a few weeks.

Cardboard? Its actually posterboard. Pretty much, the only thing that might weigh down my dress is the resin jewel. The poster board backing was reccommend by the prop lady. Although the color of the jewel is so so of what I want. It looks alot more like's zelda's color jewel then fi's So if you get a spray paint, you might have to layer the shades it a bit like pixelninja's diamond.

The jewel,I just have to go with masking the jewel, so I can easily fit the foam frame.
Unread 03-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #69
narutokunobsess

Long time isn't it?

Any way some progress done on the Diamond Frame!! I was soo worried about fitting it, I just said to my self. Well the symphony is comming up soon and so Ill just throw it all together and see what happens. Turns out it looks ok. I mean alot of the small mistakes, you wont even see it from faraway. All that is left is to mask the diamond, seal it, paint it, and then use polythuerane varnish. I love the poly because it makes the spray paint flexible.

Also, zentai is close to being a bit nervous. Its done, but shipping and stuff, its a giant gamble when it will get here. I hope it ships fast. I would like a least a week before so I can work on it to fit certain things. They haven't replied when I sent my address, so we shall see.

The cape. My mom and I tried the pattern I made out of news paper, and it pretty much failed. We used the purple fabric and now its too small. I made like a half triangle and I though if I flipped out both sides, it would be ok, but my mum said it doesn't look right. So we have to try again. If you guys are working on the cape, help us out with the pattern.
Unread 03-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #70
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

Sooooo...Nightmare I am in is I'm asking for a refund from zentai-zentai since they refuse to give me the suit, they had me wait 51 days and according to their site process is 5-15 days and I paid for expedited shipping but since they are not shipping it to me for whatever reason...so yeah...this sucks and I don't recommend this company (taking that link down as off now.) Which means I may not have my costume done for ACEN...-_-. I'm actually making a small doll version of the cape so I can make a bigger one and once that is done but it seems in order to make the cloak right I need thick fabric to keep the folds in the plating together. I will post the pattern once I finish with the doll version. Looks like I need to order from a new company right away but this is a complete nightmare. Since my helmet and jewel are now complete but I can not move on without that suit to match colors! >_<!!!

In the mean time here is a new Fi cosplay that looks great. Mine should look close to this and she says how she made it as well.
Unread 03-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #71
narutokunobsess

That sucks for zentai zentai. I know milanoo also does zentai costumes.

I feel pretty dumb. I forgot all about making a doll option. I really can relate from this tutorial on the midna costume. She made a foldable of midna's cape.
Oh, so It has to be pretty heavy fabric like satin. But I have a satin and silk both from joaans. So, who knows how that works? I wonder if you can glue the foam to the fabric too. When foam and fabric are dried, they are the most stiffiest things in the world. Then again the only problem is putting through the wash, which means you need to find a glue that can withstand washing.

And please do post the pattern. The real problem I have is the pleating. I understand how to pleat, but I just don't understand how to pleat the middle (where its from blue to purple or vice versa), because its all bunched together. Then looking where it goes to the middle of the arm, it gets different results. So yea, pretty much I need to know how to pleat from the middle of the body.

Well if are a good talker to trust-e deals they can get it done in a week and have it shipped in 2-3 weeks. What I mean talker is how clear you type about the costume . They kind of misunderstood me a few times. After get it down then they can sew it in 1 week and have it shipped in 2 weeks- 3 weeks. They can make the black stockings, and half and half. Sorry that company didn't work out for you.

Nice. The pleating is alright for me. The head looks a bit creepy though lol. She sure likes the metalic paint ALthough for the most part, the diamond is pretty much spot on, and then she has a good eye for colors. I wonder... Maybe I should paint the mask also so at least I have a face. Though like you, it may not fit my helmet, in fact its not fitting my face properly XD.

Lol, for some reason, I was suppose to rewrite that post that I was finished with the diamond too. Are you planning to do velcro or attach it with some pin?

Anyways, I want to get this done by this weekend at least, so then finally after that, the dress can be finished, and as a whole, pretty much the costume is finished. It may have a few adjustments once the zentai comes in. I think I should have my mom attach the cape to the dress.

So yea. Here is the finished diamond. I feel the frame is a bit big lol, but oh well, can't change it now:

And here is what I have so far done with the cape. Sewing the two pieces together and then we need to add the pleating first.

I think Im doing this odd thing with mixing the concept art with game art, so the colors are a bit all over the place anyway XD.
Unread 03-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #72
BlameTheOwls

All I have left is the wings/cape.

I like how my diamond turned out, I chose to bend it slightly so it's stay flat on the dress across my breasts

That new cosplay ssoldiersaturn posted makes me even more nervous about my cape, since I'm working with all satin. I wish I had extra fabric to do a doll mock-up with, it definitely sounds like a great idea.
BlameTheOwls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #73
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

@BlameTheOwls: I've heard satin is always a pain to work with, my concern with satin for this would be the pleating up top to get the effect. One of the cosplayers I posted earlier just ditched it and it still looked good. As for the doll mock-up I am just using cloth I have around the house. I talked to a friend who is going to help me with it and I have photos of most of the recent cosplayers as references and realized pleating may not actually be best because the fact that it is up on your shoulders, horizontal and not like a skirt so we need a new game plan. I think I have it but I am not done yet, I'll post a photo up at the end of week. Your jewel is wonderful too!

@narutokunobsess: I plan on using the industrial velcro to attach my jewel since me friend used it to attach her armor for black rose (.hack) to her clothing and it didn't budge and I need the jewel to be flat and not budge. You can always make adjustments after the symphony too. As for the cape, I think I know what you are talking about and the only thing I can think of is by pleating both sides and then sewing the two together as the last step for the back, the front they are really just scrunched up on top of the jewel. But I may not be understanding it completely. The back photo really looks like the shoulders are just even meeting up with each other and strangely flat so you could fold in the two colors and sew those together to get that look.

@process: Giving this company one more week since they finally got back with me and claim the suit just needs to be delivered and should be in no later then next week. (We'll see if it is even in good condition or even what I ordered >_<). If it doesn't work then I will see if trust-e deals can do it but it will be cutting it too close then I would like. X_x My helmet and jewels are all sanded. I used the spackling and it worked out really well but made my helmet very 'spotty' coloring (This will be painted over though it doesn't matter that the two are different colors.
Unread 03-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #74
narutokunobsess

Diamond is lovely. For me I wish I gone with the non transparent dye and again, oh well.

Yea. I just want it to look good at least the first time so that I don't make too many adjustment the second time. For the cape, I have sewn the back together and my mom thinks it should pleat from there. I'm thinking about sewing the front so then I can have a good reference for pleating. The reason is so that the pleating is even with both sides. The pic is the two sides for the back already sewn togethe,r just before that angle begins.

I might even have my mom sew the top line to the dress after every thing is done. That way its easy to cut and have support.

I wasn't sure about the velcro until now, Ill do it . I should acquire some black Velcro to since my teal leggings tend to ride down.

Also I notice its not horizontal. The cape seems to drape more down wardsfrom the midline of the body which is another idea; to drape it like a Greek goodness robe. That would be a pretty elegant effect don't you think?

Just cross your fingers. I reccomed submitting an inquiry to trust-e deal now just in case. That way on that day they can ship immediately. They don't start making you suit till you pay and submitted everything. And if you really want that plastic shiny look, duraclear gloss varnish is amazing. It dries just like plastic. I used it on all of the foam pieces and the diamond. I'm lovng this cause it clears most of the surface imperfections and is clear.

Last edited by narutokunobsess : 03-13-2012 at 07:50 PM.
narutokunobsess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #75
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

I will do that (about the inquiry).

I'd have to see how you would drape it but I imagine it would look nice for the cloak. I can see what your mom meant by sewing the back together first and then pleating and then closing it together where the front would be. That should work since it would all be even...