Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki

Unread 01-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
aho-chan

San cosplay help needed!

I'm planning on cosplaying as San from Princess Mononoke at Anime North 2012 and I have a few questions regarding making the cosplay:

-I know how I'm going to make the mask, but how should I make the ears and attach them to the fur?

-That being said, what fur should I use to make her fur shawl? I'm thinking about going and using a sheepskin, but that seems like it would be too heavy...

-Another thing I'm having a lot of trouble with is imagining how I'm going to do the shoes.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I would really appreciate it!

(I posted this in the wrong forum at first... Hopefully this is the right place now!)
aho-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
streamingjupiter
neko no hitai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aho-chan View Post
I'm planning on cosplaying as San from Princess Mononoke at Anime North 2012 and I have a few questions regarding making the cosplay:

-I know how I'm going to make the mask, but how should I make the ears and attach them to the fur?

-That being said, what fur should I use to make her fur shawl? I'm thinking about going and using a sheepskin, but that seems like it would be too heavy...

-Another thing I'm having a lot of trouble with is imagining how I'm going to do the shoes.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I would really appreciate it!

(I posted this in the wrong forum at first... Hopefully this is the right place now!)
oh goodie! another san cosplayer :3 San was my first cosplay so thats really exciting!!

For my ears, I just cut out two triangles, sewed them together leaving the bottom open, stuffed them with fabric, then pleated the bottom and sewed it shut. to attach them to the hood, i just sewed little buttons on the bottom of the ear and made tiny slices in hood and stuck them through. Probably not the most effective method, but hey, first cosplay ever.

I used fake "wolf" fur for my cape/shawl thingie, it was 40$/m but i just waited for it to go on sale. The fur itself is about 2.5 or 3 inches long, but its nice and light. Make sure you line the inside of the cape with a nice white/beige fabric, like twill or even broadcloth, cos the inside of the fake fur is really REALLY itchy.

For the shoes, shoe covers for sure ! I've seen people go with Uggs or similar boots, but I wanted real shoe covers. Since I was almost out of money by this time, I used burlap sack (like a potato bag) and used elastic on the bottom to make them stay on the shoes, and elastic in the ankle to make it all gathered like hers. I can give you more detail if you're interested in this method.
For fun... here's a photo...

I'm on the left, by the way.. and excuse my retarded expression. hopefully this will help you with the ears.

and if you want pictures of everything else, I can definitely take some and upload them!! good luck <3

Recently Completed
-MEIKO Alice of Human Sacrifice [Vocaloid]
-Gumi Matryoshka [Vocaloid]
-Gumi Difficult Love [Vocaloid]
-Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind [Ghibli]

Planned
-Eleanor Lamb [Bioshock 2]
-Gumi Love is War
streamingjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
aho-chan

Thanks much! I'll be sure to take your advice into consideration!
Unread 02-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
streamingjupiter
neko no hitai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aho-chan View Post
Thanks much! I'll be sure to take your advice into consideration!
my pleasure! best of luck and feel free to tell me how you did yours~!! and pictures!! (lol..if thats okay with you). there seem to be so few san's out there)

Recently Completed

Planned
-Gumi Love is War
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
aho-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kei-senpai View Post
my pleasure! best of luck and feel free to tell me how you did yours~!! and pictures!! (lol..if thats okay with you). there seem to be so few san's out there)
I'm surprised that there aren't as many Studio Ghibli cosplays out there.
Then again, some of the costumes can get rather elaborate.
Unread 02-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
streamingjupiter
neko no hitai!

I suppose they can.. I think they probably appeal to a larger variety of people so its kind of strange.. i try and do one Studio Ghibli cosplay per year :3

Recently Completed

Planned
-Gumi Love is War
Unread 03-12-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
Hylian Jean

I just finished making proper booties for my San cosplay which I hope to wear to Emerald City Comic Con in a couple weeks. I've been occasionally polishing and re-making parts of this costume since 2002 and now I'm getting serious about finally trying to get it 100% finished. XD

These were a bit tough to pattern and I'm not absolutely satisfied with them. I didn't like having to make the boot in two halves but I couldn't get the shape right any other way. The second boot turned out better than the first since it didn't have a million adjustments made, it was just cut from the pattern I drafted as I made the first one.

To get my basic foot pattern I put a plastic bag over my foot and taped it into a "skin" using masking tape (duct tape would work too), having padded my feet a bit under the bag to get the shape I wanted. Then I drew my seams onto the "skin" and carefully cut them to remove it from my foot. I created darts by slicing into curved surfaces with scissors to make them lay flat and then traced the pieces onto a suitable pattern fabric, adding a seam allowance. I made several mockup booties out of cheap, stiff fabric, adjusting the fit and transferring the changes to my pattern pieces. Once I liked what I had I cut into the pigskin suede I found unexpectedly at the fabric store, and sewed very very carefully on my sewing machine. (It's not wise to machine-sew leather unless you know your machine can handle it, but this stuff was quite soft.)

I used a fabric-hole-punching tool to make some eyelets for the leather laces to feed through so they stay at the proper levels. The back seam of the boot is open from the top of the heel upwards so that I can get my foot in, and ties closed with the laces.

Inside are some supportive, shaped insoles from the shoe store, and some cotton in the toe to give that rounded, dough-like look her feet often have in the film. I will probably make some slip-covers to protect the suede when I have to walk outside or on wet flooring.

Hope that helps anyone who is trying to make San's shoes!