Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 01-27-2012, 02:38 AM   #16
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

I did one commission and had a bad time. :/ Just a bad person/buyer.

I would love to take on local jobs, but not sure if my skills are up to par, and not sure how to base my prices. I usually do hourly and think 6$ an hour (under minimum wage here) can be fair, though this doesn't include the price of materials.

Anyone else had a bad first time that made them judge their own skill level?

Right now I'm busy with other adventures and getting ready for my own conventions and costumes, so I won't be doing any commissions until later, if ever. :3

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #17
secretxagent

I'm not a commissioner but as someone who has gotten many things commissioned my advice is to be aggressive. The last person I commissioned actually saw the ad I placed and messaged me. She got right to the point about this is her past work, customer reviews, material suggestions, price, how she sends progress photos, etc. The fact that she laid it out on the line of what she can do and how she works made me hire her
secretxagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #18
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarinalove View Post
I did one commission and had a bad time. :/ Just a bad person/buyer.

I would love to take on local jobs, but not sure if my skills are up to par, and not sure how to base my prices. I usually do hourly and think 6$ an hour (under minimum wage here) can be fair, though this doesn't include the price of materials.

Anyone else had a bad first time that made them judge their own skill level?

Right now I'm busy with other adventures and getting ready for my own conventions and costumes, so I won't be doing any commissions until later, if ever. :3
I've currently just finished my first commission ever and so far it's been ok, however the buyer isn't so sure on a part that I really cannot change. Basically I put interfacing in the main bow to make it more accurate to the reference pictures, whereas my own prop had a floppy bow. Personally the bow with the interfacing looks 1000x better than my own one. She's requested photo's of it being held up and the bow still flops slightly and sent them to her.
This doesn't make it a bad experience, but it just comes to show you need to work with your buyer, if you're really wary for the next time, draw up a contract that you both have to sign making agreements, so say if the buyer wasn't coughing up payments or something, you have every right to refuse work on his/her commission and not offer a refund, dependent on the rules you've set. If it's a big commission, require a certain amount of a deposit up front before you start doing anything to the commission which will be non-refundable, etc.
I hope my buyer still likes it, as it's ready to be given a box and then be shipped!

I'd really love to make more commissions in the future, may be taking cosplay commissions in the summer (basic ones only to begin with!)
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #19
AndiAndi-chan

If you're going to start marketing yourself, you've gotten the first step done by signing up to various websites. Now that you've done that, you should really flesh out these profiles. For starters, I suggest setting up an avatar with an image of one of your finest works for the boards here and changing your personal message to something related to commissions. Also, make sure to change your signature to a link with commissioner information. I recommend setting up your own website to link back to. You should also set up some sort of place for your customers to place reviews.

In conventions, make sure you do your best to talk to people. It should also be easy to spot people who have bought costumes, so talking to those cosplayers are probably your best bet. Carry business cards on you--and make sure they look professional! The very design and quality of your business card is important since you're a commissioner. A good design tells us that you've got a good eye for detail and you're a professional.

Good luck! Your work looks lovely and hopefully you're popularity grows and you'll find more customers
Makoto Nanaya - Blazblue: Continuum Shift
Mercedes - Odin Sphere
Heart Hunter Miku - Vocaloid

Deviantart: http://andiandi-chan.deviantart.com/
WorldCosplay: http://worldcosplay.net/member/Andi/
Cure ID: 212782
Tumblr: http://the-last-unicorn-cosplay.tumblr.com/

AndiAndi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
Elleyferranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
I've currently just finished my first commission ever and so far it's been ok, however the buyer isn't so sure on a part that I really cannot change. Basically I put interfacing in the main bow to make it more accurate to the reference pictures, whereas my own prop had a floppy bow. Personally the bow with the interfacing looks 1000x better than my own one. She's requested photo's of it being held up and the bow still flops slightly and sent them to her.
This doesn't make it a bad experience, but it just comes to show you need to work with your buyer, if you're really wary for the next time, draw up a contract that you both have to sign making agreements, so say if the buyer wasn't coughing up payments or something, you have every right to refuse work on his/her commission and not offer a refund, dependent on the rules you've set. If it's a big commission, require a certain amount of a deposit up front before you start doing anything to the commission which will be non-refundable, etc.
I hope my buyer still likes it, as it's ready to be given a box and then be shipped!

I'd really love to make more commissions in the future, may be taking cosplay commissions in the summer (basic ones only to begin with!)
I take on a lot of commissions. Sometimes buyers can change their minds about things a lot. I save every email and send thing pictures of every part of the process (so I have record of it to) in case they ever decide they didn't say something they did. For example, one person told me they were xL and sent me measurements. I asked what kind of measurements they used and I told them the measurements matched a size m. They told me they were dieting so I just went and made it, took pictures of the measurements and sent it and later they said it didn't fit. Although they will probably not want to work with me again, at least I can defend myself if someone ever were to try and use that against me.
However, I do give people the cosplay they want since they want even if it is not accurate so I will change anything they want as long as it is in reason, not like a whole complete outfit that they suddenly decide they don't like the fabric anymore. That never happened though.
Elleyferranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
elij_takahashi

You need to be bigger and better for people to want what you're selling

What's your DA account?
elij_takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #22
Fairy Tales

Tnx for this tips, really helpful! and elij, you are right, they become respectful to people if they are.
Fairy Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #23
tehkukikookie
Uses galaxies as shuriken

These tips are great! I'm not sure if I have the time to do a panel, but that sounds like a fantastic idea. *considers this for Otakon*

Otakon 2012
Red Dress/SMS Klang Klang, Kida, Micro Klan Klang, Aisha Clan Clan, Ms.Fortune

Toki Wartooth
tehkukikookie is offline   Reply With Quote