Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 01-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
JDscosplay
Commissioner

Review: Moon Costumes

HI
I am a commissioner on this site and I just wanted to warn my fellow cosplayers about a website called Moon Costumes. They mostly do pre-made costumes, but they have been taking custom commissions as well. Moon Costumes does not make these custom costumes themselves. They outsource the work to commissioners who they find on this site. So, if you want to order a custom costume, you should go straight to a commissioner in the marketplace rather than going through this middle man who will charge you a hefty fee and then negotiate for the lowest quality materials to be used.
Furthermore, Moon Costumes attempted to scam me when ordering an armor set. In our email exchanges, they asked for just the armor, but when it was completed, they claimed they had ordered the full costume for that amount. When I attempted to straighten out this misunderstanding, they became rather rude and threatened to not even pay the final payment for the armor. They finally asked me to make the costume for the lowest possible price and asked for the cheapest materials to be used. All the while, they were going behind my back making a claim on Paypal to get all of the money back that they had payed for the armor. They even said that if I send them the armor they ordered, they would just send it back and refuse to pay for it!
Moon Costumes is a horrible company scamming both their customers and commissioners. If you are a cosplayer looking for a custom costume, please ask around the real commissioners in the marketplace before thinking of ordering from them. If you are a commissioner, do not work with them no matter how slow things get, it is really not worth it.
Screencaps verifying these facts are posted below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (118.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (93.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (105.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (52.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 6.JPG (79.6 KB, 0 views)

Unread 01-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
JDscosplay
Commissioner

more screencaps

More screencaps are attached below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.JPG (57.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8.JPG (59.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9.JPG (86.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 10.JPG (82.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 11.JPG (49.3 KB, 0 views)
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
JDscosplay
Commissioner

and more

sorry, there's more - full disclosure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.JPG (187.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 13.JPG (70.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 14.JPG (77.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 15.JPG (76.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 16.JPG (65.6 KB, 0 views)
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
JDscosplay
Commissioner

last two

these are the last two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17.JPG (118.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 18.JPG (89.2 KB, 0 views)
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
Logia1300
Cosplay Pirates Captain

So that's what some sites do I always thought why several places had the same pictures for costumes and heard that it would arrive looking nothing like the picture. Always did think that some of the costumes looked rather poor quality as well. Though I'm not a commissioner this was helpful now I'm more weary of those sites.
Logia1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
AngelicKey

did you send paypal your half of the story with all your screenshots?
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Funtom Rabbit

Whoa, and I have actually bought from them before. Loved my cosplay that was obviously premade, but wow.
Funtom Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
Funtom Rabbit

I love a good scandal.
Funtom Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
yamibakura03
aka Ludger03

Just like AngelicKey mention, did you send your info to paypal?
It would suck if they actually won the case because after reading all the info you provided, it did really sound like Moon Costumes just wanted the armor. They should of just said, "We would like a complete costume with the armor for 500$".
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
Tales of Xillia 2- Victor Mel Mata (16%) & Jude Mathis (10%)
yamibakura03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
JDscosplay
Commissioner

re

yeah I contacted Paypal and they said I had to ship the armor to the address in Moon Costume's Paypal account. Moon Costumes wanted me to ship it directly to their customer though and then in the Paypal claim they said they would just return it anyway and continue to pursue the claim. So, I do not really know what they will do now. Paypal has closed the claim, but they can always reopen it or appeal it.
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #11
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Typically, PayPal sides with the seller (in this case you), as long as the seller can prove they shipped the item (I think basically a tracking number and that it says shipped). Once the item is shipped, I think PayPal steps out, as it states in their policies that they do not deal with quality of products. They also seem to care less if it is the wrong product, not as described, or not completed. This becomes problematic for the buyer sometimes, but I think once the case is closed, there is little they will do to reopen it. I think you're in the clear, which is good. Thanks for sharing your experience with them as a commissioner. This company isn't making a very good name for themselves.

** This is from my personal experience and friends' experiences with PayPal that I have encountered.

Last edited by angelbabycakes : 01-28-2012 at 02:17 AM.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #12
LadyAri13
Seeker

My dealings with them were bad too. Ordered 3 cosplays NONE were the size or quality they were described as. And they were not shipped as quickly as promised tho it wasnt really that long. This has been about 2-3 years I think
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
hchildress0123

Good to know - they are one of the few people that have the costume I want

Yuna - FFX
Lulu - FFX
Bulma - Dragon Ball
Sesshoumaru's mother - Inuyasha
Kitty Pryde - X-Men

Considering:

Scarlet Witch - Ms. Marvel - Shiva - Karin - Aqua - Beatrix
hchildress0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
PrincessHime

what is the website of this moon cosplay? my friend experienced something like this too, ordered 2 costumes but does not fit, but the commissioner have different name, not moon cosplay
PrincessHime is offline   Reply With Quote