Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 01-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Maddiekaka

Exclamation Can I lose 8kg in a month?

I'm 162cm and currently weight between 57-58kg (21-22BMI)
I want to be at least 50kg (19BMI) by the time I cosplay in mid June this year.
Thing is, I have to get my measurements and order my costume within the next month or so to make sure it is completed on time.
Is it possible to lose 8kg in 8-10 weeks?
Are there any diets and exercises anyone could recommend to me, especially exercises that focus on slimming legs and arms?
Thank you!
Maddiekaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
bcmilk

Well I think its all to do with how willing you are to lose these pounds. You have to eat right (meaning not starve yourself) whilst exercising properly. If you're not much of a motivated person (like me :P) then you could attend a cheap gym and have someone help you set you something. I go to a thai boxing gym for 50 dollars a month for 8 lessons. Its pretty cheap here and its helped me lose a bit of weight, strengthen my abs, got rid of my arm and leg flab.

I'm not sure losing 8kg is healthy or not. Maybe you should aim to lose 1 kg at first and gradually see how well you do over the weeks. Losing 8 kg in a month will probably be a lot of stress on your heart?
bcmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Maddiekaka

Thanks for the reply

If I was to lose 8kg in 8-10 weeks, then that would mean I would have to lose 1kg-0.8kg a week. I suppose it is a bit of a stretch, but I've got the motivation to do it, I'm just seeing if anyone can give me any tips that I may not know of yet.

I'd love to join a gym, but right now, I can't afford it I have Wii exercise games, an exercise bike, a skipping rope and will probably have weights soon, so I can always work out at home.

I mainly just want to know of any exercises that help lose weight and tone legs and arms, as I want to cosplay Platinum the Trinity and she exposes her arms and legs quite a bit D:
Maddiekaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
Miss-Kagamine

I know this post is a few months old but I want to state this.
I don't think loosing 8 kg in a month is that healthy... i lost 3 kg in 2 weeks which led to a few problems. Your weight range is healthy keep it that way (: you don't want to become underweight for cosplay which is what I did =__=
Miss-Kagamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Somsai
Guyver 01

Fuck losing weight...weight isn't a concern. Its all about losing FAT.
I see way too many ppl (especially females) go on crash diets,
and don't even realize they are crash dieting...
As a tip, try to get your body fat %.
This way you can tell if you're losing more fat than muscle.
A lot of women believe they don't need muscle...WRONG.
Ever seen a girl's leg looking like an hour glass shape?
Well, guys don't find that attractive at all, and it
isn't healthy to have so little muscle mass that your
body has begun to look deformed.
Oh as for slimming specific areas on the body. It is impossible.
The only thing you can do is do lots of cardio and dieting,
and let your body burn the fat off your body on it's own.
All I can say is take it slow and gain more knowledge about health and fitness.
Your time will come...it's all about patience and hard work.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
SalvadorMalo85

@Somsai
I always like your replies to fitness questions lol.

@Maddiekaka
Don't go crazy with long bouts of cardio. You are better off learning how to lift weights 2-3x a week and walking 3-4x a week on an empty stomach. If you do not have access to weights, find a bodyweight strength program not advertised by someone who is selling anything and go to town.

This being said, diet is the main factor that will help you lose weight (exercise just provides a good stimulation to lose lbs, gain muscle and strength). If you want to keep things simple, look up paleo dieting (Paleo book by Rob Wolf is a good start), but there are several paths to getting where you want to be.

Keto dieting is probably the hardest but most effective method. In a lot of diets, this means ingesting 0-30 carbs for 7-14 days, then cycling them afterwards. Again, this method is difficult to stick to (not just from lack of willpower, but also because a lot of basic foods have hidden carbs), but it works very well.
SalvadorMalo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
32spartan11
Spartan

If you look at my post history I have a lot of useful advice for you. 1kg a week or 2.2lbs is probably the absolute uppermost of weight lose for anyone within their normal BMI. And there is a good chance that it's too much.

This website is a great resource for beginners. Along with his YouTube channel he has just about everything you need to know about losing weight.

He has lots of videos but going through them will be worth your time.

As for slimming certain body parts first that is called spot training and is impossible. Though for you worrying about arms and legs they are usually areas that can be lost first because usually fat goes onto your midsectection/stomache and then to arms legs while adding to midsection. And it usually comes off in that order as well. Though everyone is different.

my workout blog

http://weightgainersguide.blogspot.com/
32spartan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
tennisnutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somsai View Post
Ever seen a girl's leg looking like an hour glass shape?

I have NEVER seen that O_O Example pls?
tennisnutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisnutter View Post
I have NEVER seen that O_O Example pls?
Hmmm, some models that are too skinny on magazines is a good example.
Hard to explain, but basically they're thighs cave-in on them.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorMalo85 View Post
@Somsai
I always like your replies to fitness questions lol.

@Maddiekaka
Don't go crazy with long bouts of cardio. You are better off learning how to lift weights 2-3x a week and walking 3-4x a week on an empty stomach. If you do not have access to weights, find a bodyweight strength program not advertised by someone who is selling anything and go to town.

This being said, diet is the main factor that will help you lose weight (exercise just provides a good stimulation to lose lbs, gain muscle and strength). If you want to keep things simple, look up paleo dieting (Paleo book by Rob Wolf is a good start), but there are several paths to getting where you want to be.

Keto dieting is probably the hardest but most effective method. In a lot of diets, this means ingesting 0-30 carbs for 7-14 days, then cycling them afterwards. Again, this method is difficult to stick to (not just from lack of willpower, but also because a lot of basic foods have hidden carbs), but it works very well.
LOL, thanks I guess.
I type the same way as I would talk.
I'm from Louisiana so cursing is pretty natural to me. XD

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
Unread 04-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #11
Charlotte00
Awesomeness

You should really only lose 1kg a week, otherwise it can lead to problems.
It's more important to focus on becoming healthier/fit rather than weight!
Charlotte00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
KiritheBlue
Dabbler in Everything

^ What everyone above me has said.

Focus on the health and fitness rather than the weight - that is going to fluctuate a little bit based on what you recently consumed or time of month or whatever - and keep in mind that as you become more fit, you're going to gain confidence about your own abilities and strength. Use that as your motivation, not a loss in weight. Feel awesome about being able to run a 10k! Or having the strength to pick up a mini-fridge by yourself! Please don't actually try to do that :P

That being said, I can offer the 'runner's diet' as a reference if you would like, seeing as extra weight does put more work on your body, and being lighter makes it easier to be mobile (at least in my opinion). It's basically... if you're running upwards of 3 miles per day (around 5 km), keep your food at half carbs, a quarter protein, and a quarter fat - you need the carbs to supply you for running. Also, see what happens if you go on hikes with a 10 kg backpack, or walk around more with some sort of weighted vest. If you do run, don't forget to do cross-training and take an off day once a week.

Plus, make sure to sleep and don't skip meals. Alternatively, try breaking up those meals into small snacks throughout the day. Cold environments also raise your metabolism because your body works to keep you warm, but that option's a little more painful, but says you're burning more calories by turning the heat down.

Good luck!
KiritheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
Kagomekai

I know of exercises that can make you lose 5kg in about a 9 days, but its intense exercise. But on average you typically shouldn't lose more than 1kg a week or you could gain it back fast. You could try changing your eating habits, that's what I have done. By eating smaller portions I've only lost like 5 pounds but inches is where is counts and I have lost around 6 inches by eating differently, smaller portions and fruit/vegitables/less fatty food in between meals. I cut out chips and sodas, (which I didn't ingest much of before that) and limited my other foods to once a week and it's helped alot in about a month.
Gajinka Gatomon (humanoid)
Ymir from SNK
Kagomekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
Libis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiritheBlue View Post
^ What everyone above me has said.

Focus on the health and fitness rather than the weight - that is going to fluctuate a little bit based on what you recently consumed or time of month or whatever - and keep in mind that as you become more fit, you're going to gain confidence about your own abilities and strength. Use that as your motivation, not a loss in weight. Feel awesome about being able to run a 10k! Or having the strength to pick up a mini-fridge by yourself! Please don't actually try to do that :P
Exactly. I'm about the healthiest I've been in years now that I've started doing martial arts and am starting a very physical (heavy labor) sort of summer job. I'm also the heaviest I've ever been in my life! I've gained 40 lbs of muscle this year, and I might gain more as the year goes on. I was so happy the other day though, because for the first time ever I could lift my 230lb boyfriend up off the ground! Also, I'm really happy to see my coordination and strength improving.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote