Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 01-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Asphyxial
kitten with claws

Corsets For Steampunk?

Hello! Does anyone know any good websites for corsets that one can purcahse for us with a steampunk cosplay? So far I haven't really found that many good websites, or they were too cheaply made, or were far more expensive than I could afford. I'm really looking for websites that are reasonably priced and not higher than say about $160 dollars maximum. I've got one site that I really, really like, but I don't want to use it unless there is no other options. That website is called Timeless Trends.

So.. any suggestions for websites, or good places to go for steampunk corsets?

Thanks!
Asphyxial is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Commissioning one is always an option. You can really control the materials for it then. You can specify colors, prints, shape of the corset, if you want it to be front or back lacing, if you want a busk or not...all that stuff.

I've made a few different types of corsets for Steampunk, both with the busk and without. The ones with busks cost more because that busk is expensive and it takes more boning than a basic fashion corset. I'm one of those people that swears by steel boning in corsets, so that does up the price, but really not enough for it to matter. If you want, check out my Corsets, Steampunk, and Voodoo (I used my Steampunk corset for this shoot) galleries to see the ones I've made. I do them on commission, so if you'd like, PM me and I can see if I can help you out.

Last edited by Mehdia : 01-31-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Mehdia is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
Somethingducky

If there's anything I've learned about corsets it's that good quality ones cost. A ready made one might be fine for occasional costume wear but are often uncomfortable when properly laced because they're not made to size and corsets truly are meant to be made to size. Once you've worn a proper custom fitted corset you will never want to go back.

I can see a few pros and cons to the timeless trends corsets. Pros would be the price, they use spiral steel boning rather than cheap plastic and it seams like they use decent busks and eyelets. They also seem to have a decent variety of fabric. Cons would be that they're not custom fit, no custom fabrics/colors/designs, they don't use proper cotton drill or coutil for the strength layers or a separate cotton lining and there is no info on the overall construction, they're probably made in bulk overseas to keep the price so low.

I know of an awesome Steampunk inspired corset maker here and also if you're interested in sewing your own corset (truly a fun experience) lots of info and links here. Good luck on your search!
Unread 01-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Somethingducky is very right. If you buy an off the rack corset, it's not going to feel as good as wearing one made for you. I have no problem wearing my Victorian ones that I made to fit me for hours on end. I think longest I've gone was nearly 12 hours in it and not a single discomfort.
Unread 01-31-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

I have to agree with much that has been said. I personally have two timeless trends corsets. They are one of the best off the rack brands. That being said I still have trouble with one because my shape is so odd. Corsets are like bras...when was the last time you found one that fit perfectly? How long did it last because you where also wearing it? You could try making your own. That is the only way your going to get a quality item that fits perfect for 160 and then only if your a good sewer.

Here is another option.http://www.axfords.com/ I don't have any of theirs but you can't be in bussiness for over one hundred years and be bad.
Unread 02-02-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
Asphyxial
kitten with claws

Sorry for not responding sooner! I've been having some personal issues and just haven't had enough time to get online and respond to this thread as soon as I would have liked! But hrm, it seems that from reading your posts and the advice that's been given.. that it may be wiser to either custom order one, or to make one myself. I liked Timeless Corsets because they have my size and some good colors, but I am very new to corsets and haven't really worn one. I've worn simply made ones without a lot of boning, which isn't really the same.

I'm not sure if I'll really have time to sew a corset, as I am going to Sakura-Con this year and also have various other cosplays to finish sewing. I also have a really strict budge so I'd have to plan it out carefully if I did. Sewing wise.. yeah, I'm pretty good. Was taught from an early age how to hand sew and use a sewing machine too.

Bras? Well I bought two last year and had to order those online because the stores in my area no longer carry sizes that fit me. The bras so far have last almost a year so they are very well constructed. Hrm, I'll take a look at these sites, see what's up, if I have time/funds to do my own corset, or if I'll need to custom make one. May have to consult some of my cosplayer friends and see what to do. xD

I may PM you Mehdia about corsets in the new few days though. Thanks for your help! I reall appreciate it :3
Unread 02-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Taking care of personal things matters the most.

But yeah, wearing a cheap, off the rack fashion corset with plastic boning is totally different than wearing a corset with steel boning made for you. I still like the shape of fashion corsets because you can wear them without a shirt and not worry if you will flash the world, though they look great over shirts too. Victorian style corsets I use mostly for shaping and getting the right look with clothing.

One of the biggest things I can never stress enough to new corset wearers is this: corsets are comfortable if you lace them correctly. Don't lace them too tight around the ribcage. That's when you start not being able to breathe. Most of the cinching should be at the waist. But still, don't lace too tightly or your insides will hate you.

Feel free to PM me any time. I can give you pointers if you decide to make your own or I can give you a quote on a commissioned one. Either way, good luck with your endevour.
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
Taking care of personal things matters the most.

But yeah, wearing a cheap, off the rack fashion corset with plastic boning is totally different than wearing a corset with steel boning made for you. I still like the shape of fashion corsets because you can wear them without a shirt and not worry if you will flash the world, though they look great over shirts too. Victorian style corsets I use mostly for shaping and getting the right look with clothing.

One of the biggest things I can never stress enough to new corset wearers is this: corsets are comfortable if you lace them correctly. Don't lace them too tight around the ribcage. That's when you start not being able to breathe. Most of the cinching should be at the waist. But still, don't lace too tightly or your insides will hate you.

Feel free to PM me any time. I can give you pointers if you decide to make your own or I can give you a quote on a commissioned one. Either way, good luck with your endevour.
Second. If you can't take a deep breath it's too tight.
Unread 02-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethingducky View Post
I can see a few pros and cons to the timeless trends corsets. Pros would be the price, they use spiral steel boning rather than cheap plastic and it seams like they use decent busks and eyelets. They also seem to have a decent variety of fabric. Cons would be that they're not custom fit, no custom fabrics/colors/designs, they don't use proper cotton drill or coutil for the strength layers or a separate cotton lining and there is no info on the overall construction, they're probably made in bulk overseas to keep the price so low.
Just a note - I have a Timeless Trends underbust corset and it does indeed seem to have a true support layer made of some sort of cotton twill or coutil. (Without handling the fabric separately, it's hard for me to tell). It's the burgundy underbust, seen in these photos:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2934288/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2934331/
It's really one of the best "bang for your buck" compromises between price and quality that I've found.

I've also gone the "cheapo" route and bought corsets from the super-sale section at www.corset-story.com. The key is to only buy the ones they have labeled as "waist training". They're not actually true waist-training corsets, but that's basically just their code language for "has real boning and a halfway decent support layer". Are they the best corsets I've worn? Nope. But they're pretty darn good for $40, and beat the crap out of a lot of "fashion corsets" that are sold at the same price.

It should also be noted that I tend to stick with underbust corsets. They seem to be a bit more forgiving off-the-rack with my measurements, and a custom corset isn't quite in my budget yet. Plus, I tend to wear them just as occasional costumes for a few hours at a time, and custom prices just aren't worth it for a costume I may only be wearing once or twice.

Dragon*Con 2013:
Joyleaf - Elfquest || Belial/Mad Hatter - Angel Sanctuary
Surprise Hulk Variant - Marvel Comics || Black Widow - Hawkeye #9 || Mary Jane Watson - J. Scott Campbell version
Maevaris Tilani - Dragon Age Comics || Sugar Rush Racer Sticky Wipplesnit - Wreck-It Ralph

Last edited by TheFontBandit : 02-03-2012 at 04:33 PM.
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 02:08 AM   #10
Asphyxial
kitten with claws

Yeah, got the personal matters taken care of for now. We had a little fire in the house and had to deal with that for a few days. Things are much better now though! :3

I'll try to PM you here in a few minutes, Mehdia. I'm rather curious to find out about commissioned corsets and what sort of price you may give me, but am still contemplating a corset from Timeless Trends. Just depends on price for me. I'm looking to like.. wear the corset for several hours during Sakura-Con along with a bustle skirt, over a shirt, and go about my day. Don't need to wear it all day, as I do plan to change clothes here and there, and also take breaks when necessary. I will remember not to tighten things too tight. Will have my friend tie it up in the back to fit right, though. I'd prefer to be able to breathe right and not pass out or anything!

@TheFontBandit: Ooh, Timeless Trends so far has been the only site I've seen that looks reasonably priced, has my size, and seems to have the most support. Iwas also looking at some corsets from Clockwork Couture, however every corset that looked the best was either sold out, or far too small for my figure, or they were sold out of the color that would work the best for the Steampunk outfit I'm going for. Was looking for a nice green, purple, or red overbust corset, but underbust might not be too bad eitheeer. Hrm.

I may indeed for a Timeless Trends corset if that seems the better. I'll look into the cheaper version too. If they work for a few hours that'd be perfect. I'm not asking for grade-A top corset, as I know those tend to be extremely expensive and I don't have a huge amount of funds since my friend surprised me with wanting to go to the convention this year.. have soooo much sewing to do. And eh, if I get a corset I was hoping to wear it more than once, so, it may be worth it to me for a commissioned piece. xD
Unread 02-05-2012, 04:18 AM   #11
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Glad everything is okay now!

On the wearing corsets for hours at a time: I've worn my fashion corsets all day long, laced tightly enough to curve but loose enough to breath and had no problems at all. My Victorian ones I've worn also for lengthy periods of time (I think I wore my Madam Red costume for about ten hours the first time, then last year wore my corset for at least twelve hours) and since I made sure the cinching was in the waist and not the ribs, and I only laced enough to take about one to two inches off my waist, I was fine.

I really think if you are going to spend money on a corset, even if it's just a fashion corset, it should be of high quality and worth your money. There's nothing worse than wearing a corset wanting the nice curves they can give and then having them slip down, the boning bend all out of shape, and it making you look heavier or lumpier than you really are. Been there done that, and it's why I swear by steel boning now.
Unread 02-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
thewolfelord

draculaclothing.com ... even has steampunk specific themed
thewolfelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Oh yeah, on the wearing of corsets...did I ever mention that I sometimes wear my Victorian ones under my work clothes and then go work for 8 hours in them? And I work retail, on a very busy sales floor where I'm constantly bending over to pick things back up or lifting boxes when we bring stuff out of the back room, so if I can survive in one like that, then just wearing one for a costume shouldn't be any problem.
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
There's nothing worse than wearing a corset wanting the nice curves they can give and then having them slip down, the boning bend all out of shape, and it making you look heavier or lumpier than you really are. Been there done that, and it's why I swear by steel boning now.
I once had this corset. At an event it folded right under my bustline and I didn't even know it. Through the event I felt grumpy, paranoid, and very out of sorts. It wasn't till later when I took off the corset and felt a wave of relief, that I realized what happened.

http://www.riverjunction.com/Our-Mos...set_p_385.html

The boning is spiral but there isn't enough of it and there isn't a busk. Also, the material isn't very supportive.

Quote:
Oh yeah, on the wearing of corsets...did I ever mention that I sometimes wear my Victorian ones under my work clothes and then go work for 8 hours in them? And I work retail, on a very busy sales floor where I'm constantly bending over to pick things back up or lifting boxes when we bring stuff out of the back room, so if I can survive in one like that, then just wearing one for a costume shouldn't be any problem.
Your lucky. When I wear a full line corset, I can't bend down or over. Not without doing damage to myself or the corset. At the very least I fall out the top. Now an underbust corset is different and allows for more freedom of movement.
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ororo Monroe View Post
Your lucky. When I wear a full line corset, I can't bend down or over. Not without doing damage to myself or the corset. At the very least I fall out the top. Now an underbust corset is different and allows for more freedom of movement.
I've managed not to do any damage to myself or my corsets when I wear them a lot. It is a little harder to bend forward, so I learned that when I'm wearing one to bend at the knees instead of the waist. That solved a lot of the pain problems when trying to move like I would without a corset. I can imagine underbust corsets would allow for more movement. I've only worn one so far that I made for a costume. I was giving it a test run and it did make for a little easier movement.