Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 04-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
MintDream

Question How To Not Seem Too Goth-y?

So I have a character for a cosplay I'm doing that's not goth in any way, but wears a lot of black, white and red, and has red cat eyes. I'm worried that this may come off as slightly goth to some people, so I'd like some tips on how to accessorize in ways contrary to that while still keeping to the color scheme, it CAN differ but not neons or anything too different (yellows, oranges, greens, blues, purples). Maybe I'm being slightly too paranoid with this, I've only ever cosplayed once and it was really bad and inaccurate to the character (Chell, Portal 2) so I'm a bit cautious about doing things wrong this time around. w Sorry to trouble y'all if this is just taking up useless space.
MintDream is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Don't beat yourself up! This is the perfect place to ask that question.

Is your goal to look not goth at all? That may be impossible, since people seeing you will make their own associations with your outfit and those three colors are pretty much Goth Beige. But generally speaking, goth style pairs silver with black, and often the silver is in chunky, tarnished, or elaborate pieces. Keeping your jewelry simple, bright, and gold will help. No boots, especially not stompy ones. Otherwise, since goth style often focuses on decay and ornamentation, keeping things simple and pristine is a good idea.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
MintDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Don't beat yourself up! This is the perfect place to ask that question.

Is your goal to look not goth at all? That may be impossible, since people seeing you will make their own associations with your outfit and those three colors are pretty much Goth Beige. But generally speaking, goth style pairs silver with black, and often the silver is in chunky, tarnished, or elaborate pieces. Keeping your jewelry simple, bright, and gold will help. No boots, especially not stompy ones. Otherwise, since goth style often focuses on decay and ornamentation, keeping things simple and pristine is a good idea.
Hehe, thanks. The gold is for character accuracy (My version of demons as a species are damaged by gold, and the silver is werewolf stuffs. OC is a werewolf-demon mix, kinda. Copper and such have no effect) so I'd like to avoid it unless I need to use it for some reason (I can't think of any scenario where I would.) I kind of went for a clean, simple, modern look with character design so I think that might help. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by MintDream : 04-11-2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Scratchh that, I just wanted to add something but descided it was already covered in the post.
MintDream is offline   Reply With Quote