Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-04-2002, 12:03 AM   #1
Ali-kun
Ask a GENtern...

How perfectionist are you?

An online friend of mine (we swap anime ^_^) read my mind and suggested that we meet up at a convention next year (prolly AX) with another friend of hers and cosplay Hibiki-kun/Hibiki-sensei and Fuuko from I My Me! Strawberry Eggs, so we were babbling about the costumes...and I jokingly whined that it was annoying that the teal-ish color on Hibiki-kun's shirt was greener than Fuuko's uniform, so you couldn't just use leftover scraps for the shirt trim.

And she gave me the IM equivalent of a funny look and asked why I wouldn't do that anyway, because it would be easier. But...they are DIFFERENT colors x_@ Easy != being true to the character design (well, at least not always...it's always nice when it is, though)

Just for the sake of filling the board up with more random threads (fuahahaha!)...are a lot of you guys utter perfectionists who would rather jump from an airplane than have TWO stripes instead of THREE on your sleeve, because TWO is NOT what the character actually has? (That is a randomly generated example not based on any actual character ;P)

If anyone is...make sure to reply to this message so that I know to avoid you at all costs - you are scary!
...na, just kidding ^_^v I realized...I am happy that D-chan can't sew worth beans, because then when I make the hard bits for her that you can't buy in a normal-people clothing store, I can be as scarily-loyal-to-original as I want to be!

(Ne, isn't Strawberry Eggs a CUTE show? XD We love it! I sadly have not seen any cosplayers from it either ;_; People need to do adorably cute cosplay like that *nods*)

Unread 06-04-2002, 12:15 AM   #2
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

Am I a perfectionist? Wahahah. HAH HAH HAH. MUAHAHA HAHAHA! *cough*

Does that answer your question? ^^ Though, time and money (not to mention gravity and other laws of physics) have not been on my side in my quest for complete accuracy. Neither have my parents. oO;;; But when these things allow, I will pursue perfection to the ends of the earth. Otherwise, I do what must be done and suffer in silence the agony of knowing something isn't quite right. ^^

I would also add, if I wasn't a perfectionist, I would have more costumes done than I do . . .
Unread 06-04-2002, 03:29 AM   #3
Mei Lan Chang
Its a "shoulder massager"

Perfectionist? me? Noooooooooo (lying between her fangs). I have to have every little detail PERFECT on my costumes. Like the San mask I am making from Princess Mononoke. I am making the mask and ear parts out of earthen clay, firing it, then painting it with acrylic paint so it will look perfect. THEN, I'm not just using any fuzzy material for the cape part, I am actually going out and buying a real sheepskin. And to think, I wonder where all my money goes....>_<
Unread 06-04-2002, 08:35 AM   #4
Philia Philis
I <3 Peppermint Patties!

Aliii, you know Erin is a perfectionist, ne ne ne? I'm still griping about my Vincent wig not being the right shade of blonde. *shakes fist*
But you don't get to avoid me! *grabs her arm and refuses to let go* MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! XD

Use the right colors! Only the right colors!
Philia Philis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2002, 09:28 AM   #5
Lady Somairot
scandalicious

*sigh* i know the feeling of.. oh.. everyone who posted on this thread. i'm entirely too much of a perfectionist, which is really annoying since i have no money right now and am working on a costume *shakes fists* darn those infernal tourists not giving me more tips!!! >_<

i don't, however, think there is anything wrong with being such an insane perfectionist. it shows that you really care about what you're doing, so much so that you'll not sacrifice the integrity of the costume for less time/effort. @_@ take this for a very silly example:

my Lulu skirt and arms's lace is a dead match with the real FFX character. i had to view pictures at ungodly sizes and then draw out the patterns of the sleeve bottom, belt top, AND the trim along the bottom with the big circle things. how did i make the pattern? only the most TIME CONSUMING and ridiculous way i knew possible -- i hand embroidered it. cos i'm stupid. o_O though even there there's a problem because now it's not lace, but the pattern is exact and it looks like lace-ish. if i knew any other way to have done it and still maintained the accuracy, i would have done it. but i'm a silly Lady Somairot. ^_^

so, my point is.... yay for two different green colors!!!

^_^
Lady Somairot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2002, 10:08 AM   #6
Medellia
Lazy Angel, Sweet Devil

*lol* You guys scare me! Just kidding ^_~

I'm an ungodly perfectionist too... I had my B. Jenet dress most of the way done, when I realized it was all wrong! So now I'm starting from scratch. But, I have mixed feelings on staying close to character design. Truth be told, I like to embellish costumes with a rhinestone here, some shiny stuff there, maybe a slightly inaccurate but cool wig, simply because it gets boring seeing the same thing over again!

So I guess I'm a perfectionist when it comes to having things the way -I- want them, but I'm more linient (sp?) when it comes to staying true to the original character designs

:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::
Second Skin: A Cosplay Site
http://students.washington.edu/medikiti

Heaven is where the angels live...
http://lazyangel.livejournal.com
:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::
Medellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2002, 10:38 AM   #7
peacecraft
Frustrated Illustrator

Its weird. I'm a perfectionist on some aspects of the costumes, but not others. It varies from costume to costume. Since I often work in volume on whole groups of costumes, I'm not really big on making stuff perfect that no one will ever see, so I cut corners on the insides of costumes and stuff. Other areas bug me big time and I'll remake them over and over again and get really frustrated.
Unread 06-04-2002, 10:55 AM   #8
Ina
har har har

it really depends how "into" i am on working on my costume, if i just love the character to death, then i am a total perfectionist on making the costume, if i mess up on one little detail i HAVE to ethier re-make the costume or re-do that part again, plus, when people say "oh, it's perfect!", but you know in your mind, theres this little voice is in your head that there's something not accurate or not perfect about your costume... OoOo..that little voice sucks, but yeah, i'm such a perfectionist *lol* it's kinda fun to be like that becuase you get really determined to do things and you could be more optimistic on things ^_^
Ina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2002, 12:13 PM   #9
Legato/Machan
Errare humanum est

Perfectionist? Maybe yes or maybenot? Who knows?!?!
I'm great perfectionist. For my Midvalley costume I even made some changes on my sax. I put the name Silvia and I customized it with a help from profissionals. Even for the Legato costume, I went to the cemitery to get a skull for me (just kiddinhg heheh*. Perfectionist, me?
Naahh ... I don't think so, do you?

kisses

Legato/Machan
Legato/Machan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2002, 01:50 PM   #10
Kenshin Ken
Ore wa, Pocky Ken desu!

I like for any of my costumes to be as perfect as I can get them ( espically on costumes that I work on for long periods of time.) there are times I would just buy something and modify it to look as perfect as I can get it..but there are times where you get to a point..after working on one part of the costume so long with little progress.. that you just about give up and go with what you got. ( and it happened a few times.. only to find out that my lighting in my room made things look much different than it does in regular sunlight ^^;; )
Unread 06-04-2002, 01:54 PM   #11
shiroi_yukiko
has helmet hair

Ah, good, I'm not the only one...
Hm, all I have to say is: handsewing and vinyl. Not fun, but...but... it's looks so much more perfect... (and this vinyl mess isn't even for me! and I haven't even put the spikes in it! 200! Waaaahhh! *cough* Sorry...)

Of course everything has to be exactly the right color! Costume, hair, everything! I won't even cosplay if my hair isn't exactly right, let alone the wrong color (and I don't do wigs anymore...)...
Etsy Shop
shiroi_yukiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2002, 01:55 PM   #12
NurikoMetallium

I try to get my costumes to look as close to the characters outfit as possible and within my limits. I think it's important if you really love cosplaying and I guess it may help for people to know who you are.
-Nuriko M.
NurikoMetallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2002, 04:15 PM   #13
Xion
*GLOMP*

Nope, when it comes to matching the colors, I can be at times though ^^;;
Xion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2002, 04:30 PM   #14
Jibrille
Pirate for Life

there is something other than PERFECTIONISM!??!?! WOAH! lol

if its not perfect... i am not happy. it must be as close to the picture/design sketch i am working from as humanly possible(damn my lack of godly powers).
The more acurate it is the more i love to make it and the more time i will spend on it. The better it is the more rententive i get with it. especially paint working, accessories, and color matching.

For example... how long it took me to find the perfect jibrille fabric, and that i bothered to buy sterling silver and make the jewlery myself because it wouldnt be perfect without jewlery! >.<

i go sew now.....

P.S. Lady Somairot is my favorite perfectionist!!! LOL!!
we take good lessons from eachother. heehee ^^
Jibrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2002, 05:30 PM   #15
Ali-kun
Ask a GENtern...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Somairot
i had to view pictures at ungodly sizes and then draw out the patterns of the sleeve bottom, belt top, AND the trim along the bottom with the big circle things. how did i make the pattern? only the most TIME CONSUMING and ridiculous way i knew possible -- i hand embroidered it.

so, my point is.... yay for two different green colors!!!
Wow, that sounds so exciting XD
(I was kinda wondering how various Lulu cosplayers did the lace, but I never actually asked one ^_^)

Do you have any pictures? I wanna see! (Wa, I love Lulu's character design @_@ It is so cool!)

I go with the 'artistic interpretation' of the costume usually...like for my Naoki, the eyehole thingys on his shirt are yellow (gold, prolly) and the belt buckle is gold, but I thought that looked weird with the white/blue red/black theme of the rest of the outfit so I didn't do that part...but I actually went back to my PSX 5th mix and played a few games to make very sure of how high the black wedges on his pant legs went (to the knee ^^) and spent hours hand-sewing them on...
And then spent far too long just deciding where I should paint red on the mostly-black shoes I'd bought o_O;