Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Unread 04-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

Buckle thingys on a Browncoat (Firefly/Serenity)?

I've been thinking about improving my Mal cosplay by making my own suede Browncoat that'll be much more accurate than the canvas duster I had been using, but I absolutely cannot figure out what the buckles are. I've done tons of searching for metal buckles on Amazon and eBay, and I can't find anything close that's the right size. The closest I've found are watch buckles, but they still don't look that similar and they're rather tiny. Here's what I'm talking about:

And a closeup on a buckle:

I can see how it works, but I've never seen anything like that before, so I don't know if it's something that's actually used in real life or if they designed it for the show. Does anyone know where I might be able to find something like that, or at least what that sort of buckle would be called?

In progress: Booker Dewitt (Bioshock Infinite) - 90%; Steampunk'd Han Solo (Star Wars) - 98%; Connor Kenway (Assassin's Creed III) - 30%; Max Rockatansky (Mad Max series) - 35%; Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier (Captain America: TWS) - planning

Future: Mal Reynolds (improved), Jaime Lannister (GoT)
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
MedievalGirl

I seem to remember reading that those latches were special made for the show. I saw where the company that made them had a few for sale at one point but that was years ago.

I wonder if you could find hair barrettes for the latch part and make the flat metal pieces out of jewelry findings or cut out of hobby metal.
MedievalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote