Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Mass Effect

Unread 02-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
tiikay
there is no spork.

N7 Armor - Help!

It's been a -long- time since I've been on this forum/site, and a few things have changed, including the fact that I have played Mass Effect 1 & 2 8| This game has brought me back here! (kinda like how Dragon Age did... )

And I suddenly have this urge to cosplay my Shepard!... problem is, I have no experience with armor, whatsoever (other than an automail arm from FMA). I'm super lost.

I think I'm leaning most towards armor from ME2, probably the 'default':

(Yay, it's Natalie Shepard.)

I just have no idea what people out there are using for their awesome ME cosplays, and where I can get some of these materials, and how these cosplayers achieve such perfection! I think all I've got so far is an understanding of how to set up LEDs, and I know I'll probably have to invest in a spandex/stretchy catsuit of some sort to wear underneath all of this, oh and a black wig, but that's about it. :P But my creative cosplay itch has flared up again, so I'm excited to start figuring this stuff out.

So if anyone out there with cosplay armor knowledge and/or have constructed a femShep cosplay... and has tips, secrets, photos, or anything else that can be shared and will help a beginner armorer like me piece this cosplay together from top to bottom, I'd really appreciate it!

tiikay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Coles

Depending on how easy you'd like to go, http://bioweapons.wordpress.com/2010...7-armor-build/ is a fine place to start.
Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
tiikay
there is no spork.

Thank you! Another user sent me the site through a PM earlier, and I'm well on my way! I hope to maybe update this thread with some pictures soon

Unread 02-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
PepMaster

Here you go these are PDF Foam Patterns that were made by Ithica a while back I believe. They are pretty accurate. Can't remember what scale they are at for a person to wear but I made the chest at one point and I'm 6 foot tall it was a pretty good fit.
http://www.mediafire.com/?mjlmtyfu7tbn9g6
PepMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
tiikay
there is no spork.

@PepMaster: Thanks! The male version differs a bit from the female version, but it's got blueprints for the forearms and knees/legs... the only parts I've really had difficulty putting together in a drawing, and parts that are pretty much the same between the two sets of armor.

Unread 02-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
tommyfilth

Bio weapons is the way to go, he has very good posts about his process.

TL
tommyfilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
ranerdis
Aztec Filmmaker

The bioweapons method works super well! Go for it!
ranerdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
tiikay
there is no spork.

Thanks guys! Will do! I've got the back piece and the shoulders/upper arms done, but I have to put this on hold for a few weeks because of a thesis project (which I've procrastinated on enough, thanks ME3). Can't wait to continue working on it and get pictures up!

Unread 03-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
gambit86
Yeah, I can fly.

Someone just posted some new templates over at the RPF like a few hours ago. Much better in terms of detail.

http://www.thereplicapropforum.com/f...-codex-142610/

Hope these help.
gambit86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
tiikay
there is no spork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit86 View Post
Someone just posted some new templates over at the RPF like a few hours ago. Much better in terms of detail.

http://www.thereplicapropforum.com/f...-codex-142610/

Hope these help.
I must... find a way... to ship all these internets to you. I cannot thank you enough, those templates are exactly what I need! Thank you!

Unread 03-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
gambit86
Yeah, I can fly.

No problem. Sadly I didn't find them myself in time to do my GF's Shepard. Least I could help another person out.

Oh word of advice. Don't worry too much about the breast area, it takes some time and molding, but it isn't so much a if it comes out wrong its ruined type deal. The foam can be worked and reworked thankfully.
gambit86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
ButtonMuncher

-First Post on Cosplay.com, woot!-

Any hoo, been searching for an answer to this question for awhile, and this topic seemed most relevant without having to create my own. So I am also using the EVA foam method to create armor for a fem Shep, but through all the blogs and forums I've looked at for reference the one thing I couldn't find was this: what temperature to cook EVA foam at? And for how long? I've gone through about 1 1/2 sheets testing different temperatures for best results forming the breast plate but I can't seem to find the right balance. I would rather use a heat gun for safety, but I need the heat saturated for better effect (on a side note, I am EXTREMELY careful when doing this, my house is well ventilated and I wear goggles and a respirator at all times. Please don't attempt to do this without careful planning, this stuff has some toxic fumes!). Low temp didn't have much effect for the formation, and high temp worked great for formation but damaged the foam almost instantly, not to mention the fumes, as mentioned previously. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Thank you!!! ;D
ButtonMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
tiikay
there is no spork.

@ButtonMuncher: I have yet to get to that part, and I'll be using a heat gun, so I'm not very helpful at the moment.

That being said, I'm not sure how easy it is to get a response, but you could maybe try contacting the guy over at Bioweapons (http://bioweapons.wordpress.com) because I'm pretty sure he used an oven to heat up the foam for the chest piece on his FemShep build.

Unread 04-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
booksandcorsets

I use an oven preheated to 350 degrees and stick foam in for EXACTLY 2 minutes (set a timer). Once you pull it out you have 10ish seconds to conform it to the shape you want. Then hold it there for another 30 seconds to a minute. And then it's formed.

If you have it in the oven for less than 2 minutes, it won't be warm enough. More than that, and it will start to smoke.

CHECK AGAINST YOUR OWN OVEN. Some ovens run hot, some run cold. Mine is a NEW oven so this is a TRUE temperature. If yours is older, this may not work.
Unread 04-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
ButtonMuncher

That actually sounds about right from the different piece tests I've done. My oven is a bit older, but it runs a little hot, so I'll probably try 300 first just to be safe.

I'll make sure to share my results...maybe I'll do a post about it cause like I said, I have not been able to find any information on this anywhere! Thank you much!
ButtonMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote