Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
peppermeek
YO MAMMY >:3

The bobbin keeps on screwing up my work!!!

Hi,
I'm making this Amaterasu costume (kimono form) and I'm trying to stich on a red layer over the end of the sleeves by doing a straight stich. I have a Singer "Promise" sewing machine, and no matter what I do like follow the manual for troubleshooting, fixing the bobbin, and tighten the stitching, It would come out like this:
https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...5qMvl uIg4Uk4

Please tell me what's wrong!!!

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•
::: (\_(\ ...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*
*: (=' w') :::::::: Peppermeek :::::::::::
•.. (,('')('')¤...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*... *...*
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸
peppermeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Penlowe

link is broken.
Is it a birds nest? That is a classic symptom of not threading your machine correctly (either top thread or bottom).
If I get a birds nest the first thing I do is completely remove the thread spool and bobbin. I look for little bits of thread stuck places like inside the bobbin chase or knotted around the upper rocker arm. If I find lint balls or other detritus I give it a thorough once-over with the canned air and/or a q-tip to remove all unwanted dirt.
Then I go get a drink of water, or eat something, or look at cats on the internet for five minutes. Walk away. Take deep breaths.
Then I carefully re-thread the top spool and then the bobbin. 99.9% of the time everything runs smoothly again.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

We cannot view a picture only accessible from your google mail.

Another problem may be your machine doesn't like the type of thread you have. I know my Singer doesn't like polyester thread. It's supposed to be able to use any type of thread, but I've only used cotton, and one time polyester, and the polyester was a no-go. Nothing I did made it stitch properly.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

If the bottom thread looks like the machine barfed thread all over the fabric, your bobbin's tension may be off as well. Take the bobbin out of the case completely, then re-insert and re-thread it. Then hold the case by the thread sticking out and gently toss it like you would to get a yo-yo going. The bobbin should not drop out of the case at all and the case should only drop about an inch. If the bobbin drops out, the case doesn't move or the case moves more than an inch adjust the little screw on the top of the case (remember: lefty loosey, righty tighty) and repeat the process until you get the right result.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
Yunalicia
Yevonite

You may also have the wrong bobbin in the machine. I have a kenmore and have to use the bobbins that are metal with holes in them. The plastic ones will not work in my machine because they overspin and cause the problem it sounds that you may be having.

Planned Cons:
*:AnimeNorth:*:2011:*
<3 Ai-Kon 2o11 <3
Yunalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
crazywuzhere
................poop.

It could be that you need to take the sewing machine to a place where they fix them. My mother's sewing machine always messed up, even when she put the bobbin in right.
Other than that, I second what the others say... tension, not doing it right, etc...
But if you can't make it work I would definitely find a shop that fixes sewing machines.
crazywuzhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Penlowe

I'll add this: I rarely make a mistake in threading my machine. I often sew fast or jerk things around in such a way that the thread jumps out of its running area, which results in said bird nests. Also, I never throw thread away unless it's pretty much disintegrating, so old thread can break & gum up the machine all on it's own too.

TLR It isn't you, it's the thread or the machine.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
peppermeek
YO MAMMY &gt;:3

I'm sorry that re picture is not available, but the situation I'm in is that my machine is developing bird nests. (globs of huge thread under my fabric). Thanks for the help up there :3. If there are any other ways to stop the bird nesting crap, i'll be glad to hear them.

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•
::: (\_(\ ...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*
*: (=' w') :::::::: Peppermeek :::::::::::
•.. (,('')('')¤...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*... *...*
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸
peppermeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
Shallon
Loves Details

I had this problem but it was just the wrong bobbin. My Brother can't handles Singer bobbins. I hear a few machines are picky like that
Shallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermeek View Post
I'm sorry that re picture is not available, but the situation I'm in is that my machine is developing bird nests. (globs of huge thread under my fabric). Thanks for the help up there :3. If there are any other ways to stop the bird nesting crap, i'll be glad to hear them.
9 times out of 10, it's your bobbin's tension. Try adjusting it first and if that doesn't work, go get some specifically for your machine's brand.

Good luck!

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
moogles1989
rxsias

completely unthread you machine and rethread it, its almost always either a threading problem or a tension problem you can also tighten the tiny screw on you bobbin case itself too
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
char99char
Crazy for costumes

I completely agree with all of the above. Retreading usually takes care of it.

Do you have the problem with other fabrics? When all else fails I usually stitch two pieces of cotton together. If the machine eats that then there is something really wrong.

If it is specific to your current project - buy some tear away stabilizer. It is stocked near interfacing typically. If you put that on the bottom side of whatever you are stitching that can really help the tension especially with soft or very thin woven fabrics. When you are done stitching you literally tear it away from the stitching line.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
Maazka

Everyone has such great advice here ^_^

just to throw my 2cents in:
I was sewing leather with the wrong needle and had this issue. Make sure 1) your needle is sharp (just replace it if you aren't sure) and the correct type for the material you are sewing.

Also make sure your fabric is not getting stuck in the threadfeet. When I was using the leather (it was salvaged from a thrift store coat) I had to almost pull my material through because it was uneven and slippery and my machine had trouble moving it on its own. Given that you are making a kimono, and not using retarded thick material like i was, interfacing would be the solution like charr99char suggested.
Maazka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
char99char
Crazy for costumes

Tear away stabilizer is typically used for embroidery stitching on machines but I've found it useful for other things. Like Maazka says - it helps keep the fabric from getting pulled into the lower opening (the term escapes me right now....). It looks pretty much like paper but is made from little fibers that will tear apart. A little goes a long way - you only need a narrow strip ( 1/2" - 1") to go under your stitching line.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
KitsuneNoKoibi

...Is your presser foot down...?
BeforeI bother asking ANYTHING else, check that XD

Luka Megurine 10% done
FACEBOOK PAGE
KitsuneNoKoibi is offline   Reply With Quote