Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 03-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #61
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

^ Feel yeah. I could only use my machine to sew my vinyl into gold piping but as soon as I try to sew it into other layers my machine hates me. lol

FanExpo '17
Merida - Brave (Saturday only)

Anime North '18
Steven Universe ?
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary

Future cosplays/cons:
Lagertha - Vikings, Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #62
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

In my machine's case, it's okay through two layers of upholstery pleather (if not top-stitched) if I use normal thread, but it won't feed the heavy-duty stuff through at all since it's too thick. But heyyyyyyy, most of these seams have to stand up to strain (I toss around the word "load-bearing", though I don't think it applies to sewing). I can only machine-sew the collar seams, the diffusing fabric (thank goodness or it would take me months), and the tops of my arm-armour since it's stretch pleather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #63
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

Aaaa I can't wait to see all of these awesome costumes!

I did manage to get Trafalgar Law done so I'll have something new. The rest is all a blast from the past. I'm breaking out DBZ Dende for the Friday Night Social theme (he's a monster....sort of?) and GreenFire and I are sprucing up Ferid and Arshtat from Suikoden V. They haven't been out of the closet in a while.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 10:51 PM   #64
Ayekasong
Gaming Addict

Due to some unrelated issues, I had some time free up, and I finished one of my costumes last week. I am now starting costume #2, yes, one month before the con. I'm apparently a glutton for punishment.

Next up: Star Wars Celebration
Cons for 2017 - Star Wars Celebration :: Costume-Con :: Geek.Kon :: Archon :: TeslaCon

My ACP page :: Facebook :: Costume News Website :: Costume News Youtube channel:: Personal YouTube :: World Cosplay Page
Ayekasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 06:23 AM   #65
may55
Just another penguin

I lost tons of time because of schoolwork But I have 2 weeks to finish everything. My mom decided to make her own costume out of her antique clothing. I believe it is going to be from an old movie (which I have to clarify). I had to re-start my Fallout cosplay. My Milotic costume has the wig done but I have to see if I have enough fabric (It's still back home). Then I have just a mask to paint for my masquerade inspired outfit.

Cosplays for the Year:
(Fallout 3) Vault Dwellers (Regular and Pin up edition) (20%)
Masquerade Ballgown (60%)

PENGUINS! Enough said.
may55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #66
MelColley
Illustrator

As per usual everything is taking way longer than predicted. Bridesmaid duties have really put a stopper on a lot of my progress, who knew it would be so time consuming and complicated to be in a wedding party? I will definitely only be getting one new costume finished for this.
MelColley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #67
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

The Miyuki Satin fabric I picked out is being a PITAK to sew as it's has 10% stretch but it doesn't want to press to save it's self!!!

Only finished the fake collar to test it out but now I'm doing the under robe in it and I think I'm going to have to use a lot of fumble interface to hem this one up as I'm do rolling hems. I need to go shopping tonight.

I'll be happy when I start sewing the Charmeuse!!! (I'll never go astray again).

FanExpo '17

Anime North '18
Steven Universe ?
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary

Future cosplays/cons:

For Sale
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Unread 03-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #68
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Provided there's no big problems, I'll definitely have Quorra done and Luna touched up. Looks like boyfriend won't have a matching costume, though, since he's been too busy to make his armour and not able to hand over the funds for cape and skirt/tunic fabric. He says he really doesn't mind as fancy costumes are too uncomfortable for him to enjoy it much, but it IS the only Costume-Con we'll be attending for many years. Sigh.
Quote:
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #69
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Sigh.... Yes I'm going to need to this week to finish the robes. >_<

Such a nasty fabric to work with without a serger but it looks nice. I spent more time pining and stabilizing the seams on the fabric then actually sewing that under robe.

Regina is shaping up to be a no go. Because I'm going to loose another 1.5 week to the Arda Wigs. >_< But once I'm finish Souryuu I will be working on her for the remaining days I have.

Souryuu ~ Yami no Matsuei
What's left:
[-]Wig (custom fake hairline, lifted bangs, and bun/hair loops.)
[-]Perwinkle robe with trim
[-]Over Coat with support shoulder and trim with cracked piping in gold.

Finished
[X]White under rob. (just got the fabric for it!)
[X]Fake second rob collar.
[X]Crown
[X]Decorative Obi with fake ties and layers (cracked piping in gold.)
[X]Fan
[X]Sword

FanExpo '17

Anime North '18
Steven Universe ?
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary

Future cosplays/cons:

For Sale

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 04-10-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Unread 03-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #70
Chibi Lenne
Ghoulia

I literally JUST got 1 of the costumes done ;_; my main costume for the schi-fi masquerade is... 90%ish finished, plus wig to style. Then I have 2 costumes for the future fashion to do for myself and a friend x.x WHY I DO THIS TO MESELF?!

2015 Cosplay Plans
Queen Odette / surprise?? / Madam Vastra
Follow me on Facebook for more updates
Costume Con 35 Will be RETURNING to Toronto 2017!!
Chibi Lenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 08:35 PM   #71
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quorra is going to be down to the wire, but I'm still confident I'll have her done by a few days before the con... also, my hex-print came in! Squee! It's gorgeous. And I can use the leftovers for the much-farther-in-the-future Tali'Zorah cosplay I still plan on doing (WHEN, now, is a whole other story...)
Quote:
Unread 04-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #72
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Well my cold turned into bronchitis over the past 2 weeks so I'm developing a second boat of this virus systems. Clear Up Already!!!!! At least I'm not fevered/delirious with it.

I spend all of last night ironing 14 yards of fabric. O_o It was needed it but.....

But I'm think of bring my Red Queen for Sunday.

FanExpo '17

Anime North '18
Steven Universe ?
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary

Future cosplays/cons:

For Sale

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 04-04-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Unread 04-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #73
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Working on my Single Pattern. It's not gonna look anything like the original pattern, lolz. Even for a last-minute costume I somehow end up doing tons of fiddly hand-pleating and beadwork....

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #74
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I'm singing love songs to my new walking foot. For SOME screwy reason I didn't decide to try it out til I was almost half done the sewing... now, oh man, handwheeling and carefully checking things every minute over Quorra's pleathers and spandex, no longer, I'm done as fast as if it were plain cotton twill. If only I'd gotten it in time for when I made Luna.
Quote:
Unread 04-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #75
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Oh hell I got yelled at by one of tenants for sewing at past 10pm last night, came banging at 10:50pm (I usually stop at 11pm). >_< Apparent they need 8.5 hours sleep.

I'm still sick and I'm still sewing robes. >__> I'm also running out of one of my trim fabrics so I'm going to have to rush order 2 more yards. boo But to guess I should have know that 29" wide was going to cut it.

FanExpo '17

Anime North '18
Steven Universe ?
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary

Future cosplays/cons:

For Sale

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 04-08-2014 at 11:24 AM.