Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
caseroo12
Jaegar Pilot

Exclamation Altering a corset pattern...

So for AX 2012 this year, one of my cosplays is Sandplay of the Singing Dragon Meiko. She has a corset that she wears that I would want to make. The only problem is that the pattern I chose for it isn't a sweetheart like hers is, and I cant find one that is . I have altered a few patterns before, but never one with boning in it! http://www.simplicity.com/p-6060-misses-costume.aspx <---- here is the pattern.
caseroo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Do you have a reference picture? That would help tremendously.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #3
moogles1989
rxsias

you can alter like you would any pattern, as for boning i would recomend boningin the center of each piece rather than on the seams cus if you bone on the seams it only make fitting and altering that much more difficult, you can actually put boneing where ever u want i just dont recomend the centerback cus it will bulge out unless your lacing up the back than you are going to have to have a 2 inch gap between the sides and put a bone directly on either side of the eyelets/gromets
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
FeyMeggan

Altering the shape of the corset won't affect the boning. As mentioned you can adjust where the boning is placed so it's pretty, forgive the pun, flexible. A reference of the design you're making would be helpful because looking at the pattern you linked I don't see a corset, unless that's what they're calling the black and white stripped piece in the front....

Sanity Check
Costume list 2009: Finished 17 initially planned :: 15 completed :: 6 moved to next year
Costume list 2010: Started 6 from '09 :: 9 initially planned, now up to 22 total
FeyMeggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Penlowe

AHA!! I knew I had a corset pattern with a sweetheart neckline Vogue 8325, dated 2006. Currently out of print but recent enough that it should be reasonably easy to find. I have made it, it turned out quite nice.

EDIT: Google searches are coming up dry. Perhaps it is in that 'not old enough to donate/ sell' category? PM me if you want to discuss possibly using this pattern.

Last edited by Penlowe : 02-09-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

There is also Vogue 2810 if you need one with a sweetheart neckline. I use this pattern a lot (though I've done a lot of altering the pieces, to the point I might as well say it was more inspiration than the pattern).
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
CeshionCo

Just make a mock up complete with boning but don't put boning in the seam it makes it harder to fit put it just to the side of where it would be. Put on the corset inside out.

First adjust fit; Get a friend/helper, bending ad twisting around will make a bad fit. Use safety pins to take in at the seam and a marker to mark where the change of seams are.
Second after adjusting fit, mark how low or high the finished sweetheart line will be.
Third: Make finished corset.
CeshionCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
CeshionCo

oh if you are using plastic for boning use zip/cable ties as boning the plastic stuff in stores are for cheesy prom dresses.
They are denser and wider than the plastic crud.
CeshionCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
char99char
Crazy for costumes

For anything with boning - I highly recommend this book - Bridal Couture:

http://susankhalje.com/books.html

You can probably find it at your local library. It is amazing and will help you with placing the boning.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
moogles1989
rxsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by char99char View Post
For anything with boning - I highly recommend this book - Bridal Couture:

http://susankhalje.com/books.html

You can probably find it at your local library. It is amazing and will help you with placing the boning.
I have that book! im currently using it in my couture sewing class! among like 10 others lol i think i took all the couture books from the library! but we had to make a foundation garment to put in between the self and the lining cus we were all making strapless dresses and ive been on this for 5 weeks now and barely got the bias mockup to fit properly....

so another thing u have to be concerned with it proper fit, and as mentioned above the pattern u have isn't a corset per say.

a corset literally changes your shape, while a bustier is corset like in appearance but doesnt necessarily change ur body shape. lots of people have come to refer to bustiers as corsets simply because they have bones and lace up at the back but a real corset is so much more than that