Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
HappehPills

Satin Cosplay? Your thoughts?

I'm currently stuck between either Satin or Cotton for a cosplay...and I was wondering what were your thoughts on this? Would Satin look good for convention shoots or would Cotton be better?
HappehPills is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
MelodyPond

Depends on the character and the type of satin/cotton you buy. Could you post a link to the character your cosplaying?

If not, then usually cotton is best as it doesn't have the sheen that satin does. However, it has to be nice satin, otherwise it looks as terrible as the costume satin. If you buy really nice, expensive satin, it may look good. It really depends on the persons outfit again.
MelodyPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

It depends on what the character would likely wear and what kind of outfit it is. For fancy outfits I like duchesse satin aka peau-de-soie, as it's low-sheen and drapes nicely. Avoid really shiny satins as they photograph badly.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
HappehPills

It would be for a U.S. Independence Day Period Costume.

And thank you so much! I am torn between either satin or not, but I might go with cotton then, since I worry that it might photograph badly.
Unread 02-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
o01101011
Just call me Digit

For period costumes always go with natural fibers, or fabric that LOOKS like a natural fiber fabric. They didn't have synthetics back then, so stretchy fabrics, extremely shiny fabrics, etc wouldn't have even existed. Silk would have likely been the glossiest fabric they had
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

One thing to remember is that satin is a weave, and cotton is fiber content.

It is possible, for example, to get cotton in a satin weave. Generally, this is called 'cotton sateen,' since 'cotton satin' doesn't roll of the tongue all that appealingly. Cotton sateen is a very smooth, mid-luster material suitable for dress shirts and dresses. Like most cottons, however, it is prone to wrinkling. In past eras, before the age of synthetic fabrics, satin was a deluxe weave reserved for high-quality fibers, such as finely spun silk, and suitable for fashionable garments for the wealthy. To this day, silk satin can still be quite expensive, as not much has changed in the methods of producing and processing silk in the past 3,000 years.

In the current age, what most people call 'satin' is made from some sort of synthetic, like polyester. There are many different qualities of polyester, however - the sort of satin that so frequently meets with sneers of derision is the so-called 'costume satin,' - cheap, thin, very shiny, and prone to wrinkling. There are also better quality polyester satins, which, although lustrous, are not high-gloss, and they are usually heavier-weight material. Casa satin is one such fabric that can be commonly found at local chain fabric stores such as Joann's. It is possible to get a good-quality satin (such as the kind Sarcasm-hime mentions) that can closely mimic silk satin at a much more reasonable price.

What you should do is think about the character. You say it is a period costume, but don't mention what time period, the character age, or the character's social status. I will assume that by "period" you mean something prior to 1950, in which case, if you want true authenticity, you should avoid synthetic fabrics; or, alternatively, ensure that whatever synthetic you choose closely mimics a natural fiber (linen, cotton, wool, or silk, in general. The recent advent of bamboo as an apparel fiber would not be period-accurate).

As for character age, I will also assume fairly young - 15 - 25 or 30. This matters because in nearly every era, there were social dress codes, particularly among the middle to upper classes, dictating age-appropriate wear. In some eras, young women were permitted to have low necklines; a married woman, or one over 30, did not, and neither was it considered appropriate for her to dance at a ball. Additionally, the occasion mattered: for day-to-day wear, the high collars, long sleeves, and covered chest of the Victorian era contributed to our current notion of a repressed and buttoned-up time period, but at soirees and parties, a young woman might have had bare arms (although with gloves!) and a plunging neckline.

Status-wise, obviously, a wealthy woman would wear silk or fine wool nearly every day. A middle-class woman would likely wear fine cotton and linen. Poplin was a common material, which, like satin, refers to a pattern of weaving, but which traditionally was made from a combination of silk and cotton, making it more affordable for the merchant and middle classes. A middle-class woman would likely have a black silk dress for funerals or special occasions, and perhaps one additional silk dress for parties. In winter, a suit of fine wool would be used on visiting days, and a less fine version would be for around-the-house wear. After the rise of cotton in the early-mid-1800s, cotton summer dresses became a welcome change to the scratchier and heavier linen and wool garments, and a young woman would almost certainly have a fine white or light-colored cotton suit for summer outings. For the working classes, coarser linen, cotton, or wool would be common, with usually one nice, but simple, cotton or wool dress for outings.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013

Last edited by Syagria : 02-09-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
KitsuneNoKoibi

Depends on the character, but if it doesn't matter, then cotton. Satin is impossible to sew--- so slippery! D:

Luka Megurine 10% done
FACEBOOK PAGE
KitsuneNoKoibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Anhelitta
Insanely Detail Oriented

Go cotton! As others have mentioned above-satin is not the fabric of choice in costuming unless a fabric with sheen is required.
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Also you can set sateen cotton weave fabrics that have a low luster. As an example my shirt for Mami is a 100% Cotton White Sateen but they can get pricey the thicker they are.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Penlowe

Quote:
One thing to remember is that satin is a weave, and cotton is fiber content.
Can I say I love you? The lack of understanding the difference between fiber and weave is one of my biggest pet peeves. Thank you for spelling it out so nicely.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
HappehPills

Thank you so much for all your input, guys! I will go with cotton then!
Unread 02-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Can I say I love you? The lack of understanding the difference between fiber and weave is one of my biggest pet peeves. Thank you for spelling it out so nicely.
Hahahah, thanks! It bugs me, too! It's one of the reasons I don't subscribe to the whole "all satin is evil!" school of thought. A time and a place for everything, and all that.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013

Last edited by Syagria : 02-11-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #13
Satine

<3 the satin is a weave comment I have silk satin (duchesse and charmeause) and they are the most luxurious fabrics out, aside from some of the rayon/silk velvets I also have

Also, what time of the day is the outfit for? Cotton may or may not be most appropriate And what class? That said anything that shines like glossy plastic is probably not good....
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote