Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 05-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Clementine
I do as I please.

Looking to get into lolita, where's an inexpensive place to start?

I know my best friend has a dress or two from Bodyline and Angelic Pretty and I know not to trust Milanoo. Other than that I have no idea where to start. What websites can I buy some inexpensive starter lolita dresses from that won't totally break the bank? I only work part time in retail so I'm not exactly loaded. Suggestions?
Friday: Kraehe (Swan Lake variation) (Princess Tutu)
Saturday: Satsuki Kiryuin (awakened Junketsu) (Kill La Kill)
Sunday: Kraehe (rehearsal outfit) (Princess Tutu)

Upcoming cosplays:
Mitsuki Nase (Kyoukai no Kanata) (30%)
Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill La Kill) (20%)

Queen bitch.
Slytherin.
You can call me Meg.
I like RoosterTeeth, indie music and poetry, and American Spirit menthols.
Clementine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Qutieland and Clobba are great trusted places. They are both shippers though. Like they get the dresses and ship them out or however that's done.
http://qutieland.com/
http://clobbaonline.com/

Bodyline is probably one of the cheapest places. A lot of good stuff for a lot less. However, a lot of their sizes are never in stock..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

There's also the EGL sales community on Livejournal where you can buy used items from other people: http://egl-comm-sales.livejournal.com/

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
Clementine
I do as I please.

Thank you guys! I've found some awesome dresses and I found one in particular that I plan on buying with my next paycheck.
Friday: Kraehe (Swan Lake variation) (Princess Tutu)
Saturday: Satsuki Kiryuin (awakened Junketsu) (Kill La Kill)
Sunday: Kraehe (rehearsal outfit) (Princess Tutu)

Upcoming cosplays:
Mitsuki Nase (Kyoukai no Kanata) (30%)
Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill La Kill) (20%)

Queen bitch.
Slytherin.
You can call me Meg.
I like RoosterTeeth, indie music and poetry, and American Spirit menthols.
Clementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine View Post
Thank you guys! I've found some awesome dresses and I found one in particular that I plan on buying with my next paycheck.
Sweet.
If there's any other help you need just post here or anywhere else on the forum I guess lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
usuyukisou

The EGL Livejournal Community is a great resource --- members post reviews of their haul from time-to-time. If you're just starting now, there's a huge backlog for your reading pleasure.

A few months ago, I reserved my first Lolita pieces from Krad Lanrete, a reputable Sweet brand on Taobao (for reference, I bought two JSKs for about $150 each, including deputy fees and domestic shipping, but not including international shipping). There's a lot of crappy stores on Taobao, but there are a few good ones. Dear Celine's petticoats are near-universally recommended, for example. Infanta is another good Sweet brand, and I think they are slightly cheaper than Krad. The aforementioned Clobba and Qutieland stock their items, but if you can navigate and are willing to go through a shopping service, you can buy directly from Taobao for cheaper.

Basically, browse around and read reviews. I can't think of other names off the top of my head at the moment, but people have written about other ones.

If you're willing to go higher, but not as higher as brand, there is also Lief, a Korean indie brand. I think one of their collections has a negative review, but their other ones have good reviews. A JSK would be $250 not including shipping.
Unread 08-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Lustyyxo

Has nobody mentioned Fanplusfriend?!? I've only ordered a few times from them but they are cheap, and fast. Bodyline is my go-to, as they are cheap, but quality is sometimes poor (though I've owned their Strawberry Picnic high waist skirt for three years, and it still looks wonderful).

Milanoo also owns a lot of other sites, such as lightinthebox. Some cosplay sites are theirs too.

wig-supplier offers some wonderful lolita wigs if you would like to go into OTT or sweet, as well as some nice wigs for a more aristocratic style. Their shoes are wonderful, and they offer a range of lolita dresses - but I don't know if I would trust them, though their wigs are beyond exceptional.

EGL forums on livejournal has a marketplace for buying and trading. And hand-made items go down a treat with lolis, so I suggest lesarning to sew.

In Progress cosplays: Heartseeker Ashe (LoL) - Pattern Made. Harley Quinn (Burlesque) - 20%

I take cosplay commissions :3
Lustyyxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2014, 05:56 AM   #8
CorporatePuppet

You can try looking on Mbok and or Yahoo!japan ^-^ It works sorta like ebay but you need a shopping service to bid on it :/ but it's worth it to get a good deal on dresses. I got 2 brand dresses for $60 and $50. Also look online for brand sales which normally happen around June-July and the beginning of the year, also Lucky packs are also great to get too. Closet child is another site to buy second hand brand too in which you don't have to get a shopping service to buy from.

Again like may have said above me have said, Bodyline is wonderful for getting started in the fashion. Egl, Lacemarket and Clobba is also a good place to look and even Taoboa. Hand-making dresses can also be a money efficent way too start, especially making bloomers and accessories.
CorporatePuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
Lustyyxo

Annahouse, as well. The prices are HKD, so it may seem sper expensive but if you convert it to your currency it seems a lot less.

In Progress cosplays: Heartseeker Ashe (LoL) - Pattern Made. Harley Quinn (Burlesque) - 20%

I take cosplay commissions :3
Lustyyxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Bodyline is hit/miss with quality but I do have one dress from them that still looks great after several wears and washes.