Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 05-30-2014, 05:53 AM   #1
DumDung

At a con, would you consider this "ita"?

I'm going to an anime con soon and plan to dress in brand Lolita for one day. The other days, I plan to wear my typical style. The problem is, my typical style might look a bit like I'm trying to be Lolita and failing. My everyday fashion is usually a sleeveless printed dress, cat ears (which I know aren't Lolita), knee socks, mary janes, hair bows, and either a blouse under the dress or a cardigan/bolero over it. I also use a petticoat to give the dress a bit of poof and carry a sun umbrella. The prints and color schemes of my non-lolita dresses are not Lolita-esque, but the silhouettes are similar to some Lolita dresses.

Since this is a site about cosplay, I assume some of you go to cons. If you saw a girl dressed like what I described, would you think of her as an "ita"? Or would it not occur to you if the con is not a Lolita specific event and any style is pretty much acceptable? I don't want to dress in brand Lolita every day at a con because I worry too much about damaging the clothes. I thought about cosplaying, but I'm too shy for that. I don't want people asking to take pictures of me.
DumDung is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

With the amount of "itas" that show up at cons, I don't think anyone will really care. And if they do, they can go suck an egg.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Not at first glance no. You are not really concidered "ita" until you try to call youself Lolita in non Lolita fashion..Like if you went around in it answer what you are by saying "Oh, this is Lolita", then yea, that would show that you don't know what you are talking about and easily be labeled ita.

But you seem to know what you are talking about and you already know it's not lolita in the first place, so if anyone calls you that outta the blue, they are jerks because they don't even know why you are wearing it..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
Moonsong
daughter of evil

What you are describing is the exact definition of ita, mainly because of the cat ears, so some people are bound to think that. If anyone asks, just tell them you're not actually trying to pull off a lolita look.

Anime Expo & Otakon

★Shizuma (Strawberry Panic!) - 50% complete
★Saber EXTRA - 85% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Clementine
I do as I please.

Not going to lie, if I saw this I would absolutely think it was ita. You have a very good point in that you aren't trying to dress lolita and that you know it's not lolita, but to others it would look very ita.
Friday: Satsuki Kiryuin (transformed version) (Kill La Kill)
Saturday: Swan Lake variation of Kraehe(Princess Tutu)
Sunday: TBD

Upcoming cosplays:
Mitsuki Nase (Kyoukai no Kanata) (30%)
Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill La Kill) (planning)

Queen bitch.
Slytherin.
You can call me Meg.
I like RoosterTeeth, indie music and poetry, and American Spirit menthols.
Clementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
Tamlen
Darius

Like most other people, I could care less what others are wearing.
If someone is really so obsessed with your fashion sense that they would act like an elitist little kid, then they must be really hurting with self image issues themselves.

Conventions are to have fun for yourself and feel good about yourself, not a place to worry about typical judgement of rude people. Wear what you want, look amazing doing it, and most importantly- have fun.

You'd be pretty surprised at how many people wear cat ears with lolita clothing.
Heck, most of the people just wear casual clothing and cat ears/other geeky accessories.
If anyone is judging someone at a con then they're almost surely having an awful time themselves.

Also, if you don't want people taking pictures of you, just shake your head 'no' when they ask. I'm sometimes unable to talk at larger conventions because I get so shy and anxious, but I can easily just nod yes or no.

I'm 99% of the time in cosplay at conventions and I've never had someone take my photo without permission to date, so it shouldn't be an issue for you. I've had plenty of people ask to take photos the one time I was not cosplaying and I was dressed in Kodona (male lolita), so you might want to keep that in mind if you're absolutely mortified by socialization at cons.

My 2014 Cosplays
~
Chihiro Fujisaki
Ciel Phantomhive (VI Cover)
Ciel Phantomhive (Anime Ver)
Ciel Phantomhive (Choir Boy)
Bridget GGx2 (Remade entirely)
Ritsu Namine

Last edited by Tamlen : 06-04-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Tamlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 01:05 AM   #7
Clementine
I do as I please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamlen View Post
[size="1"]I'm 99% of the time in cosplay at conventions and I've never had someone take my photo without permission to date, so it shouldn't be an issue for you.
Really? I get creeper photos taken of me all the time. I figured it was the norm to have at least a few people a day take pictures without asking first. Some people are shy and awkward and will just snap a picture while walking by. Hell, I had a dude take a picture of my group from his parked car as we were walking past. We saw him holding his phone up but the real dead giveaway was the fact that we heard a shutter sound go off.
Friday: Satsuki Kiryuin (transformed version) (Kill La Kill)
Saturday: Swan Lake variation of Kraehe(Princess Tutu)
Sunday: TBD

Upcoming cosplays:
Mitsuki Nase (Kyoukai no Kanata) (30%)
Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill La Kill) (planning)

Queen bitch.
Slytherin.
You can call me Meg.
I like RoosterTeeth, indie music and poetry, and American Spirit menthols.
Clementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Ghost320

I wouldn't give a shit. It's your outfit, and if it makes you happy and confident, and YOU think it looks good, who cares if you get slabbed with a stupid label? I'd think you were cute either way. So lo as you're happy anyone who tries to put you down needs to find better ways to spend their time.

I understand about the whole picture thing. Unfortunately some people, whether it's an an anime convention or not, often take pictures of others without consent. I personally think its creepy and all but it's never happened to me. Unless you grab hold of a security guard and tell them (and even then, I'm not sure what they do) I feel like its pretty inevitible...

I don't know how id react in such a situation as it's never happened to me before, but I might start acting crazy or rabid just to freak the fuck out of the perpetrator. Like literally act like something is wrong with me.

Idk. Dress how you want, ignore haters. Just don't call it lolita to avoid a stupid argument, I guess? "Lolita-inspired" would probably be a good way to go
Ghost320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
konekoanni

Unless you are posting pictures of it on the internet and labeling it "Lolita", I don't think anyone will care at all, to be quite honest. There are lots of cute fashion elements that overlap with Lolita, but unless is is obviously supposed to be Lolita or you are calling it Lolita, then most people aren't going to automatically assume that it's bad Lolita.

And at conventions, I typically give people the benefit of the doubt, since there is so much cosplay Lolita and poor fashion choices in general at anime conventions. Now if you wore it to a meetup, then yes, I would probably assume that it was supposed to be Lolita, and consider it ita, but at a con, no one will probably even notice or care.

Kiryuin Satsuki [Kill la Kill] 100% - AX 2014
Classic Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon S] 100% - AX 2014
Nuriko [Fushigi Yuugi] 35% - AX 2014
Super Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon SuperS] 60% - PMX 2014

ACP | blog | facebook | deviantART | tumblr | worldcosplay
konekoanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #10
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Lolita fashion is not the soul owner of Pettycoats printed dresses. Perhaps, a few elitest asshats will snicker behind your back but who cares...I mean, we've all wore nontraditional outfits in public, we should be used to the backlash by now.
Unread 06-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
Tamlen
Darius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine View Post
Really? I get creeper photos taken of me all the time. I figured it was the norm to have at least a few people a day take pictures without asking first. Some people are shy and awkward and will just snap a picture while walking by. Hell, I had a dude take a picture of my group from his parked car as we were walking past. We saw him holding his phone up but the real dead giveaway was the fact that we heard a shutter sound go off.
Maybe it's just a different attitude where I live or because people can usually tell I'm an underage boy.. I don't know. That really sucks. :/ I guess at least it's good that they don't get physical if they're just taking photos, though.

My 2014 Cosplays
~
Chihiro Fujisaki
Ciel Phantomhive (VI Cover)
Ciel Phantomhive (Anime Ver)
Ciel Phantomhive (Choir Boy)
Bridget GGx2 (Remade entirely)
Ritsu Namine
Tamlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #12
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

I pretty much agree with everyone here. I kinda had the same question floating around in my head too. But I have some " real " lolita dresses I might want to throw on at my next con and I always wear my cat ears when relaxing at a con when I'm not in cosplay. I will tell you right now don't be surprised if you get some dirty looks from lolita. I'm only saying this because I personally have , just when I was wearing my lolita skirt like an everyday piece of clothing. However on the bright side everyone else will probably like it :3 try not to let it bother you. I won't lie though it hurts to get dirty looks from people.
... And to answer that question "Yes I live here and have nothing better to do "
Next Convention: Otakon

Thursday Peach Maki
Friday AM -Noibat PM- Some vocaloid >_<;
Saturday AM Luna (Sailor moon) Human PM - Neko ninja ?
SATURDAY August 9th is international Casual Lolita Day!
Sunday Casual Lolita

postponed WIP
Makoto - Street Fighter
Felicia - darkstalkers yes I want to try again
solstis is offline   Reply With Quote