Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
wunderboy

What kind of Cape/material?

This is gonna be my first cosplay ever!!! And my friends cosplay...

Now i've just recently sewed my first thing ever by making a sweater for my gf for valentines day. it came out amazing but thats not why im here.
I'm working towards being gildarts clive from fairy tail and my friend laxus dreyar from the same show. Gildarts has a cloak and laxus a cape. What kind of patterns would we need to make this? and what materials. I was told twill before for gildarts' cloak but ive seen so many different types of patterns that i don't know which one it would be.

Gildarts-
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...6 51705_n.jpg
http://www.zerochan.net/600/Gildarts.971895.jpg
http://vicmackey.trakt.tv/images/episodes/1007-3-3.jpg

Laxus-
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ight_Laxus.jpg
wunderboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

One thing you might not know is that twill is a weave, not a fiber. That is, you can get twill weave in cotton, in wool, in linen, in synthetic, in blends...

Understanding the type of fiber used as well as the weave is instrumental in selecting an adequate material for a specific purpose.

My preferred material for capes and cloaks is usually some sort of midweight fine wool suiting. Sometimes, yes, these are in a twill weave. You could use a cotton twill (may be referred to in general as a "bottomweight"), but I find these tend to be a little stiff for a cloak. I find wool has a nicer drape at the equivalent weight. Wool suiting can be a little more expensive, however, so you may prefer a synthetic.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
wunderboy

i honestly thought twill was a material, TYVM Syagria (and wikipedia for the elaboration). I know Anime North is a bit of a ways away and all my sister and my friends think im nuts for trying to start now but I'm one shiny object away from becoming easily distracted when i try to work on these things.

Also for the cape im looking at alot of patterns and they are all half circles, how would you incorporate a stupid high collar into a pattern like that, 2 piece and sew or is there a trick to it?

Last edited by wunderboy : 02-14-2012 at 12:45 AM.
wunderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

Yeah, sometimes, the difference between fiber and weave gets a little muddied, and terms start getting used interchangeably. It's just important to know that if you go searching for twill, you might just find you end up with something very different than what you expected!

Since you're looking at patterns, look at a few patterns for men's dress shirts to get an idea of how collars are constructed (in its very most basic form, it's a long rectangle). You could take a men's shirt collar pattern and enlarge it (make the rectangle wider, not longer - the length of the collar should be the same as the measurement of the neck opening of the cape). Get some stuff call interfacing. It's a stiff material that is used to keep collars and cuffs crisp. You can get fusible or non-fusible interfacing. Fusible will adhere to fabric when heated with an iron. Interfacing somes in different weights, so a mid-to-heavy weight interfacing should give plenty of support to hold up a collar.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

http://www.simplicity.com/p-3057-mens-costumes.aspx

here is a great base pattern for a simple cape with an extreme collar like you had pictured.
it would require very little modification on your part.

Hope this helps! ^_^