Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
tsukeru

How to sew the perfect school girl pleated skirt?

I have an upcoming project that I need to make two pleated school girl skirts. My question is, how do I go about making it 'perfect'? Is there any patterns that you recommend? Or any tutorials? Is there any tricks to making the pleats perfect and professional looking? Tell me what you know!
tsukeru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

For the pleats, getting yourself a pleater-board is the trick. Basically it's a board with grooves/slots that lets you fold the fabric in with even pleats, then you just press front, press back, done.
Otherwise, schoolgirl skirts are quite easy to make; after the pleats, you essentially just sew the seam (or seams) up, gather the top in a bit to make the waist, put the waistband on and sew it in place, and then however you're fastening it up. You don't even need a pattern. I used an old Better Homes&Gardens sewing book for making mine ,though, so 'fraid I can't link to any tutorials myself.
Oh, but a tip from it; always pleat the fabric on the lengthwise grain; crossgrain (across the fabric) won't hold pleats, and wastes fabric. I also recommend sewing or at least pressing the hem before you pleat so it's straight.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
crazywuzhere
................poop.

There's a really great tutorial for a Babydoll cosplay. It's a tutorial for her skirt. I would just use that and lengthen the skirt....unless you're wanting those thin pleats, I've got nothing for that.
crazywuzhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
tsukeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywuzhere View Post
There's a really great tutorial for a Babydoll cosplay. It's a tutorial for her skirt. I would just use that and lengthen the skirt....unless you're wanting those thin pleats, I've got nothing for that.
Link?
tsukeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

look into making yourself or investing in a pleating board (you can learn how to make on on Youtube/ Clotilde.com has some for sale with instructions)...one, this will help with pleating the skirt you have in mind, and two, if you ever have to pleat again...it saves you time and precision problems.