Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 02-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
xiiatherandom
Trilby's slave

Newbie, should I give up?

I doubt anything will fit me. I can't afford to have anything commissioned. And I really love this style. I'm short, 5'1. And I weigh around 155 pounds. So I feel I would look rather ugly and nothing would fit. See I've tried to lose weight several times. But there are several things going against me. I just last month broke my ankle, so I can't exercise. And I am on pills that slow my metabolism. So it's easy to gain weight. I really want to dress like this, but I feel it's out of reach for someone like me.

Last edited by xiiatherandom : 02-13-2012 at 12:12 AM.
xiiatherandom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Mikay-Chan

You shouldn't give up because of that! >w<

I'm 4'11'', and I weight 160lbs.
Low metabolism runs in my family, on top of me having hip surgery back in 2009, which is the reason I gained weight so badly. It's hard to exercise to keep the weight off.

BUT, I just bought my first lolita today!

There are many ways to work around weight to get a look that is cute in it own. :3

For example, to help keep a nice shape, I plan to wear a bodice with my lolita.

If you're tight on money like me, try looking through places that have second hand used lolita.

Like http://egl-comm-sales.livejournal.com/
Is has lolita galore that people are selling for less then the price they bought them, usually.

There's also here: http://egl-plus.livejournal.com/
This is a plus sized community where you can also find sales posts just for plus sized items. :3

I can also recommend some Facebook groups and such where you can find more sales.

Just let me know. ^ ^

I know exactly how you feel, but never give up! It's possible if you look in the right places.

Wanna know more about me?? PM me! I love having penpals, too! <3
Mikay-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

You don't have to give up! Dress how makes you happy and if lolita makes you happy, go for it.

If you can't find clothes to buy in your size as brand clothing is definitely limited in size, you can always order from somewhere that offers custom sizing such as Fan+Friend.

It's all about working to flatter your body type and I believe that lolita is a very flattering style for any body shape.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
xiiatherandom
Trilby's slave

Thanks everyone. You've made me feel alot better. I'm hoping to order my first outfit soon. I'm not sure what to do with the dress though, and what to wear with it. But I guess I'll just have to ask around.
xiiatherandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Mikay-Chan

Definatly search around.

Depending on what lolita you get, look up pictures of others wearing the same and see how they color coordinate everything. :3

Nothing has to be super expensive to be considered lolita.

I bought my lolita, and shoes online as well, but the stockings, hair decorations and assecories will be bought as cheap stores like Wal-Mart and such. xD

No one would really know the difference.

Wanna know more about me?? PM me! I love having penpals, too! <3
Mikay-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
lawrah-jayne

I'm similar to you. I'm 5'1" and want to lose weight for cosplaying as well. Just take your time, if you lose it too fast it is easier for it to come back. As for the ankle, how about gentle exercise and watching calorie intake and once it is better work out more? I know it is hard to stick to, I have no will power what so ever but keep trying, I found learning Japanese dances a fun way to get healthier. Hope I helped ^^ <3
J-Con September - Going as Red Riding Hood Rin Kagamine
lawrah-jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
ClassicRoyalty

I don't think you should give up on reaching your dreams :c

I was a little chubby when I was younger and I didn't want to stay that way forever.
I wanted to feel healthy and attractive, so I did what I possible can to do it.
It was hard at first yes, but later when you look back at it you'll be happy that you did.

I suggest watching what you eat. No sweets, no salty foods, no oil, just natural small portion meals and fruit snacks. It might seem as a "duh" advise, but you don't know how many times people say they eat healthy, and they're munching on a meal to fill up 10 people . __.
Excercise lightly, and try to take walks when you can. Every bit counts.
ClassicRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote