Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
kitsuneheart

Collars and Odd-shaped sleeves

Hello everyone! I'm nearly done with my Sakura cosplay from CCS; but, I have just two issues left.

Ref: http://www.animepaper.net/art/141268...sakura-picture (bottom left)

One, I'm not sure whether to make a curved collar or a straight collar for her top. I've already drafted and cut out all the other pieces for it but I'm a little stuck on this part. I've never sewn a collar before so I'm not sure which would lay properly.

And second, her sleeves. >~< I figured out the bottem half, but I just can not seem to devise a pattern to get the upside-down bell shape at the top of her sleeves. I managed a pattern that blends into a wider top, but that's not what I want. I want it to be bell-shaped without having a ton of gathering at the bottom. Any ideas?

Please and thank you!
Leena Toros - Pilot outfit (Zoids: New Century) - 15%
GMG!Lucy Heartfilia (Fairy Tail - Anime) - 10%

Upcoming Cosplay Ideas ~
Too many to even list. xD

Animazement 2013~
Fan-Dancer Suicune Gijinka (Pokemon), Sakura 2nd Movie Opening(CCS)
Formal Human Luna (Sailor Moon), Hatter!Rin (Vocaloid), Spirit!Zelda (LoZ:ST)

Last edited by kitsuneheart : 02-13-2012 at 09:03 PM.
kitsuneheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
benihime
Kimono Queen

which outfit are you doing? there's about 6 on the page O:

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
kitsuneheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by benihime View Post
which outfit are you doing? there's about 6 on the page O:
The bottom left. (Blue/white/yellow) I noted it after the ref, but I guess not quite clearly enough.

Upcoming Cosplay Ideas ~

Animazement 2013~

Unread 02-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
harmonyisarine

First, the collar. That's a weird collar. I'd use this tutorial, and then mess with paper and then cheaper fabric until it lays how you want it to. It will take some fiddling, but it should work out.

For the sleeve, I'm going to send you to this page. It's more advanced, but it will show you how to slit the sleeve pattern to mess with shape. I'd either draft or use a basic sleeve pattern, cut off the top of the sleeve on a line with the armpit level (you'll need that part to sew to the garment), and then slash the sleeve from the new flat top about five inches down or so, only on the top and sides (scroll down the page until they diagram the different styles of sleeves, you'll see what I mean). Flare them out and experiment with amount of flare on cheap fabric until you get the curve you want, and then plan on lining and interfacing to make it hold the shape.

Good luck! I hate collars, but that tutorial has helped a lot, and I hope it all works out for you! ^_^
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
kitsuneheart

Yes, that outfit does have a slightly odd-shaped collar. But thank you for the link! I think that will work perfectly for what I want!

As far as the sleeves go, I'm not sure that's quite what I want. But thank you for the link! I'm trying to make the sleeves completely separate from the top. I actually had one idea, but I'm not sure how well it would work.

I was thinking of making a mini-circle skirt for the tops of each sleeve and use interfacing/stiff felt to hold them up. Basically cut a 3/4 circle skit out of the felt, cut slits on the inner edge and then stitching them back up. If I'm thinking it through correctly it should automatically give me the shape I want. My only problem there is whether or not the cloth will lay correctly over it. I guess I really do just need to buy some cheap muslin or something to test with.

Upcoming Cosplay Ideas ~

Animazement 2013~

Unread 02-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Penlowe

That is called a Leg-O-mutton sleeve
https://www.google.com/search?q=leg+...16 00&bih=796
Note the wide variety of sizes. There is one picture that is part of a sewing blog, but I didn't research it fully.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
kitsuneheart

I might have missed the image you were talking about, but, I don't think that's really what I'm looking for. Thank you for the link though!

Upcoming Cosplay Ideas ~

Animazement 2013~

Unread 02-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
Anhelitta
Insanely Detail Oriented

I also have a question about sleeves-any idea as to what this one would be considered? An overlarge puff or a smaller leg of mutton? Or would doing two sleeves-one reinforced puff and then one arm fitting one with a slight flare at the end be more accurate?
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1269407006

Last edited by Anhelitta : 02-15-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Adding on to question
Anhelitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
Penlowe

looks to me like a full sleeve, merely constricted by the armor pieces over it. Some tailoring through the armor covered bits would be wise in that it would likely be uncomfortably hot having a lot of bulk there. This is another case of "artist drawing without any notion of the garments actually being made in real life". They have an annoying habit of drawing things without seams or closures, making them physically impossible to recreate as drawn, it's called "Creative License".
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
harmonyisarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsuneheart View Post
Yes, that outfit does have a slightly odd-shaped collar. But thank you for the link! I think that will work perfectly for what I want!

As far as the sleeves go, I'm not sure that's quite what I want. But thank you for the link! I'm trying to make the sleeves completely separate from the top. I actually had one idea, but I'm not sure how well it would work.

I was thinking of making a mini-circle skirt for the tops of each sleeve and use interfacing/stiff felt to hold them up. Basically cut a 3/4 circle skit out of the felt, cut slits on the inner edge and then stitching them back up. If I'm thinking it through correctly it should automatically give me the shape I want. My only problem there is whether or not the cloth will lay correctly over it. I guess I really do just need to buy some cheap muslin or something to test with.
Muslin is a great idea here. I'm also worried about how it would stay up on your arm, you may either have to use a stretchy fabric to make it tight around your upper arm or use body glue or tape. The shape sounds like it will be perfect, though. ^_^
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
kitsuneheart

Yeah, I need to give it a try. Oh I've already figured that part out. The lower half of the sleeve will have a hidden piece that will hold a strip of elastic.

Upcoming Cosplay Ideas ~

Animazement 2013~

Unread 02-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
Anhelitta
Insanely Detail Oriented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
looks to me like a full sleeve, merely constricted by the armor pieces over it. Some tailoring through the armor covered bits would be wise in that it would likely be uncomfortably hot having a lot of bulk there. This is another case of "artist drawing without any notion of the garments actually being made in real life". They have an annoying habit of drawing things without seams or closures, making them physically impossible to recreate as drawn, it's called "Creative License".
That's what I figured xp
First time I made the cosplay I made the blue sleeve part and the white part separate. blue was sewn onto my dress. White was a pair of opera gloves with a flared sleeve/cuff type deal attached. Darned hard to do anything in...
Second attempt followed the first except I used velcro to attach the blue bit to the white and thus only had to flip the end up in order to fully use my hands...
Third attempt is going to be two sleeves again but both are going to be sewn together and also use the velcro method again since it worked pretty well...
And yes...artists are wonderful, they make awe inspiring costumes...but they forget that people are going to be trying to make their costumes and art never equals real life.