Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
mizuki_hikaru

Seam questions

Okay so I ordered a costume from a person and I don't like the way the seams are. I'm no seamstress though I can't be sure that maybe it's not suppose to look the way it does. I really don't believe it's normal, but I thought maybe asking some opinions might be wise. I am sorry if this is the wrong place for this as well. Here are the pics. Am I being just to picky?

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...Seam%20Issues/

SO I took more pictures and I got a response from the person, ''About the seams, I thought you only mean the ones on the corset. If you want to send the dress back as well I'll go back over them. I hadn't noticed it was off, but I sew quite a lot and it all starts to look the same, so sometimes a fresh eye is needed.
The dress is exactly the size it should be. I designed it to be fairly loose, gathered in by a corset, and let back out so the skirt has some volume to it. I apologize if it's not what you wanted, but it's exactly the same as the picture of mine I originally showed, plus about two extra inches in size difference."

Should I send it back and let them do it? I don't know what to do this is really terrible. Should I request a refund? How much is it even possible? Argh!

Last edited by mizuki_hikaru : 02-15-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Updated Pictures and Info
mizuki_hikaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Can't see the pics, it might be your security settings.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

Image is unavailable.

Copernicus - 5%
Blood Seras - 90%
Bobby Uniform Seras - 5%
Kalashnikitty - Planned

*~Progress~*

ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Penlowe

I saw the pictures. It looks like they didn't have the tension set right and therefore the seams are too loose. No, you aren't being picky, that is going to tear out if you make any sudden straining movements. Also, that garment should have been pressed when those seams were completed.

It needs fixing, it's not really wearable as is. The questions are: send it back? ask for a refund? or blow it off as a learning experience and don't buy from them again? fix it yourself? ask them to fix it? get someone else to fix it? These I cannot help you with other than to say, decided FIRST then follow through & be patient in the mean time. do not try fixing it, then decide to ask for money back. If you want them to be professional about this, so must you.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
mizuki_hikaru

I think I fixed the images. Here's a direct link, thank you.
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...Seam%20Issues/

That's what they said about the corset too. In total this costume cost $275. 'They' offered to re-do the corset, but not the dress. I'm thinking I might try for at least a partial refund, but I'm doubtful. That's ALOT of money for a learning experience considering I did try to be reasonable if a mistake was maybe I'd have been more then willing to work it out! I really wanna cry. This person it an A+ commissioner here I'm kind of shocked. I feel better knowing at least I wasn't being to picky and it really is an issue.

Last edited by mizuki_hikaru : 02-15-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

As Penlow said, some of those seams look like the tension was way off on their machine. Not to mention the seams seem very, not straight at all! I'd not do anything to the garment and contact the seller and tell them you are unhappy with you purchase and ask for either a refund, replacement, or for them to fix it. Honestly though, from a distance most of that probably won't show.

Copernicus - 5%
Blood Seras - 90%
Bobby Uniform Seras - 5%
Kalashnikitty - Planned

*~Progress~*

ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Wow. That is some of the worst topstitching I've ever seen (on the corset) and it doesn't look like they pressed any of the seams on anything. To be honest it's a hot mess, and it looks like the person had no experience in making corsets before attempting this one. I agree with ShiNo Usagi re: refund, replace or fix.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #8
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime View Post
Wow. That is some of the worst topstitching I've ever seen (on the corset) and it doesn't look like they pressed any of the seams on anything. To be honest it's a hot mess, and it looks like the person had no experience in making corsets before attempting this one. I agree with ShiNo Usagi re: refund, replace or fix.
I thought the same about the top stitching! It's very uneven and wobbly looking. I would have ripped that out and done it again. And not pressing seams is a pet peeve of mine, so yeah, those don't look all that well done.

To agree with others: there should be something done to make it satisfactory; be it a refund, replacement, or fixing the problems.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
mizuki_hikaru

Thanks everyone. She offered to replace the corset not the dress , but I'm weary as this is how the first one then how's the next one gonna be better and she only offered to "go back over" the seams. Is that a reasonable fix for seams? I wish I knew how to handle this I don't even know how to ask for a refund or if she'll even give one. Should it be half or should I send it back on hope what she does is well enough? I'll end up paying for the shipping it back too. ~_~ SO much trouble I thought I was kind about all of it...I just don't KNOW!

I just want it to be done correctly and done to be sturdy, I don't want it to rip when I'm wearing it.
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
Penlowe

The seams in the dress ARE fixable, an ordinary straight stitch along the serger edge will repair the looseness, but that will take at least an hour. The top stitching on the corset has rendered it irreparable, has it been some non-shiny fabric it could be re-done, but satin will scar. Ripping out that stitching and trying it again will only look worse.

Document what you paid for, document what you received, send it all back and ask for a full refund OR send back the corset and ask for a refund on it plus the money it will cost you to get the dress repaired plus shipping. You should not expect to keep the items and get all your money back.

I dislike greatly the raw edge of the serging being visible inside the sleeve hem, that is very poor quality IMO. It should have been either faced about 3" or a rolled hem which is much tidier.
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
mizuki_hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
The seams in the dress ARE fixable, an ordinary straight stitch along the serger edge will repair the looseness, but that will take at least an hour. The top stitching on the corset has rendered it irreparable, has it been some non-shiny fabric it could be re-done, but satin will scar. Ripping out that stitching and trying it again will only look worse.

Document what you paid for, document what you received, send it all back and ask for a full refund OR send back the corset and ask for a refund on it plus the money it will cost you to get the dress repaired plus shipping. You should not expect to keep the items and get all your money back.

I dislike greatly the raw edge of the serging being visible inside the sleeve hem, that is very poor quality IMO. It should have been either faced about 3" or a rolled hem which is much tidier.

I'm going to take pictures and I've saved all the PM's I've sent to and fro. Is that documentation enough? I don't wish to keep the items as she won't fix anything on the dress, but the places the thread is visible when there is alot more wrong as well as the issues with the corset and the possibility of issues with having another made. The thing I'm not sure how to deal with is do I tell her all the issues with it and why I wish for a refund or just send it back and ask for a refund? I'm worried she may not be willing to do so. Thank you for your help.
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
Anna_G
Costume Designer

I would also advise you to not commission pieces from this person in the future. The fact that he/she was trying to pass on a garment to you in that bad shape shows that he/she is an amateur at sewing. Ignoring loose tension in a seam and not using an iron, is like not knowing your ABCs when it comes to sewing.
Anna_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
mizuki_hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_G View Post
I would also advise you to not commission pieces from this person in the future. The fact that he/she was trying to pass on a garment to you in that bad shape shows that he/she is an amateur at sewing. Ignoring loose tension in a seam and not using an iron, is like not knowing your ABCs when it comes to sewing.
That's what scares me I looked her up in the review thread and she's A+ on all of them. I thought maybe I was wrong, but she keeps saying it's a difference in what I wanted and so forth. If that was the case I could just re-sell it why bother with all this trouble?! I'm doubtful if this will end well. I'm not sure Paypal will help either. I doubt I'll order any commission for a while.
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
Penlowe

It's easy for people who don't know quality to give high scores on mediocre product. Why do you think the Olive Garden is such a popular restaurant? Also, the reviews may have been given by friends.

Don't get me wrong, I eat at Olive Garden occasionally, but I know what I'm getting there too. If I want awesome Italian food I go elsewhere.
Unread 02-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #15
mizuki_hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
It's easy for people who don't know quality to give high scores on mediocre product. Why do you think the Olive Garden is such a popular restaurant? Also, the reviews may have been given by friends.

Don't get me wrong, I eat at Olive Garden occasionally, but I know what I'm getting there too. If I want awesome Italian food I go elsewhere.
Well this is what she said to me. I might have to ask my banks help. Argh.

I'm sorry, I cannot do that. You overreacting on ridiculously minor details because you didn't tell me what you wanted and are therefore unhappy with the final product is not my problem.

I offered to fix the tension issue, you decided not to take me up on it. My serger is old enough it does not do a rolled hem, hence that option was out of the question. I considered and indeed tested doing a folded hem, but the fabric is thick enough it added a bulk and stiffness I was not satisfied with, considering how much this dress relies on draping. Lining the entire dress would have added to the cost. The seams were pressed as best as possible with the fabric and the iron I have. Wrinkles happen during shipping.

I will refund you the $80 I spent on materials just to finish this, but I will not refund you for the time I spent. I cannot resell something I made for someone else, ethically. You may feel free to sell it or do whatever you want with it. But I will not be refunding you more than $80, and I will not be taking it back. This is the only offer I can make you.

I'm filing a Paypal claim and I am going to leave a worthy review. I sent the dress back today as well. It's an unfair deal to say the least. Am I wrong?