Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Luna_Riven

Dying Leather

For my Barnaby (T&B) costume I have a pair of red leather boots that are a couple of shades lighter than I would like them to be. I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be possible to dye them. I don't need a completely different color, just a bit darker shade.
Luna_Riven is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
o01101011
Just call me Digit

There's leather dye
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

Are they patent leather finish? If so, you might want to first check and make sure they're real leather, and then maybe find a local leather shop to get some advice from them on how to remove the finish so you can apply the dye... they could also assess if your boots would be capable of being dyed or would need to be handled in another way.

You might also look up how to dye leather, I think there are probably many a site with great insight on how to do this properly.
Unread 02-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
Noose

I dunno if your boots are old, but there are some products that deepen the colour of leather garments if they've been weathered. I use one such product on my leather jacket and boots all the time to keep them looking brand new. If your leather boots are red, but they look faded, applying this stuff to them will pull the colour below the surface back to the surface to give the leather the deeper colour it once had. This stuff is inexpensive and effective. After a couple of days in adverse weather the darker finish might wear off, but you can recondition your boots with it to get the colour back within mere hours. Just don't apply this stuff to any suede leather, because it can and will ruin it.
Noose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Penlowe

I had some leather shoes dyed at an ordinary shoe repair, darker brown than they started. It was $10 and he thought I was weird but meh. Boots of course are more square inches to dye, but not an uncommon thing for run of the mill cobblers.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
harmonyisarine

There are also leather paints that will hold to a matte finish, if you don't want to pay for a cobbler to do it (though it seems a good idea). I do leather working/dying, and dyes can act weird over a finish if you can't remove it. These leather paints will also hold to matte pleather surfaces, so even if it's not real leather, you're okay. Also, nice and flexible. The issue will be painting a smooth coat, and that you'll lose your base color entirely. But it's a good last ditch sort of thing.