Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Dragon*Con

Unread 02-16-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
MaryRyanBogard
A misfit among misfits

Geeks Of Prime Time Crime 2012

Hello, Abby Sciuto here (you know, from the US Naval Criminal Investigative Service). Last year my friend Penelope Garcia of the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit and I hosted a gathering for investigators, agents, analysts, consultants, victims, etc. from various television crime dramas (and yes, bad guys were invited, too). It was a... modest gathering, but some people did express interest in coming to such a thing "next year". I talked to Penelope, and she agreed to host another such gathering for Dragon*Con 2012 with me.

Of course we'd love to have the rest of the NCIS Major Case Response Team and the rest of the BAU join us (including doppelgangers of ourselves)- that goes without saying. However, anyone from any TV crime drama/detective show/police procedural/whatever you wanna call 'em ever made in any country is allowed. These include but are not limited to:
  • Criminal Minds (obviously)
  • NCIS (obviously)
  • the spin-offs of the aforementioned shows (NCIS LA and "Suspect Behavior")
  • CSI and its Miami and New York counterparts
  • Law & Order and its spin-offs ("Criminal Intent", UK, SVU, "Trail By Jury", LA, others I might be forgetting)
  • Bones
  • The Mentalist
  • Cold Case
  • Hawaii 5-O (either incarnation)
  • Rizzoli & Isles
  • Memphis Beat
  • Numb3rs
  • NYPD Blue
  • CHiPs
  • Walker, Texas Ranger
  • Perry Mason
  • Murder, She Wrote
  • Hill Street Blues
  • Baretta
  • Charlie's Angels
  • Kojak
  • Third Watch
  • Midsomer Murders
  • Cagney & Lacey
  • Starsky and Hutch
  • Miami Vice
  • Columbo
  • Dragnet
  • The Wire
  • Castle
  • T.J. Hooker
  • Father Dowling Mysteries
  • Remington Steele
  • Magnum, P.I.
  • Agatha Christie's Poirot/Agatha Christie's Marple (yes, they count- there were British TV series that were adaptations of the novels)
  • "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" (the Jeremy Brett TV series that ran from 1984-94) and the more recent "Sherlock" series on BBC set in the modern day

Again, those are just examples off the top of my head- I know there are other shows out there that count which I didn't mention. Also, yes, generic officers and agents are welcome as well as known characters, just so long as we can tell you're supposed to be from a crime drama.

As far as time and place, well, to say the least we have a good bit of time to figure it out. Joking aside, as with last year we are open to suggestions, but we will not be using the Marriott Atrium and would like to know when most of the "official" events are so we can plan around them. Now unfortunately the perfect time for one person or small group may be a terrible time for another- that's just the way of the world. But we will do our best to accommodate as many of you guys as possible.

Ginny Weasley and the Midnight Magic Party- the closest thing to a website I have right now.
MaryRyanBogard is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
skyfirefox
Cabbage Patch Sehpiroth!!

You have reached the "Fount of All Knowledge", Penelope Garcia. My dearest perky, pig-tailed goth, you are correct, I would love to host another gathering with you.. The only question is when and where.
skyfirefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Katala

I love Father Dowling. I am getting into Lost Girl this week and she and her friend are detectives also including weird agencies there would be Angel Investigations I would so make Cordy's business cards to hand out

Costumes:
  • Finished: She-Ra, Hathor (SG-1), G-Girl (My Super Ex-Girlfriend), Circe (or Leta), Miaka (Fushigi Yuugi), Scarlet Witch, Inara with crossbow prop (Serenity), Hermione's Red Dress (HP7), Lady Catelyn Stark (GOT), Electra, Baroness, Newmar Catwoman, Sha're (SG-1), Ceremonial Leia, Fiona and Lessa (Pern), Romana I, Prof. McGonagall (HP)
  • My service dog, Cinder is wearing: K.9. (Dr. Who), Gold Dragon Weyrling (PERN), and Gryffindor.
Katala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
skyfirefox

So, hopefully there will be more peeps coming. We are thinking Saturday at 5p on the 3rd floor of the Hilton, with maybe getting teh noms after.
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Katala

That's usually when pern costume contest is. So if it doesn't conflict I may be in

Costumes:
  • Finished: She-Ra, Hathor (SG-1), G-Girl (My Super Ex-Girlfriend), Circe (or Leta), Miaka (Fushigi Yuugi), Scarlet Witch, Inara with crossbow prop (Serenity), Hermione's Red Dress (HP7), Lady Catelyn Stark (GOT), Electra, Baroness, Newmar Catwoman, Sha're (SG-1), Ceremonial Leia, Fiona and Lessa (Pern), Romana I, Prof. McGonagall (HP)
  • My service dog, Cinder is wearing: K.9. (Dr. Who), Gold Dragon Weyrling (PERN), and Gryffindor.
Katala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
skyfirefox

We can move it to another time, we are thinking Saturday night, mainly for an after meetup dinner.
My Costume Blog http://skyfirefox.blogspot.com/
Unread 07-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
skyfirefox

At this point most tracks don't have schedules up, so we are going by last years for timing of other shoots. So, we are thinking maybe 7ish? with fooding after? Don't all rush to swamp my inbox with replies now. ;-P
Unread 08-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
MaryRyanBogard
A misfit among misfits

I'm down with 7 on Saturday. It'd be nice if, you know, more actual schedules were posted, but I guess it's safe to say most everything would be at the same times as previous years and go by that.

Either way, I believe this link may be of interest: http://www.facebook.com/groups/500408813317991/ There's even a poll there to see if this time works for everyone.

Oh, and it turns out that it's the 5th floor of the Hilton that's the "open" floor, not the 3rd.

Ginny Weasley and the Midnight Magic Party- the closest thing to a website I have right now.
Unread 08-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #9
MaryRyanBogard
A misfit among misfits

Apologies for the double post, but Garcia's been busy lately. Anyway, I made an "official" Facebook event for this: http://www.facebook.com/events/519848604697544/

Yes, we're sticking with 5pm on the Hilton 5th floor- same as last year.

Oh, Pen, the restaurant I mentioned on the event page is not the one that tried to poison you last year. I looked up their menu and everything- you should be fine if we end up going there. It's also cheaper than that other place.

Unread 08-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
skyfirefox

Cheaper is of the good. Poison is such and unpleasant word Abbs, they merely tried to do me in by way of allergic reaction.
My Costume Blog http://skyfirefox.blogspot.com/