Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 05-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #211
darth_horo
This is my scary face
 
darth_horo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabranigdo View Post
I don't see a problem with that but again just to be on the safe side, I'll give you a solid answer on like Monday or something cuz that's when I'm meeting with the heads. And besides, I always like it when players take that extra mile to get into their characters and entertain the crowd.




Great input! I remember last year with those experimental rules during the second game. It seemed to be added in last minute without a group consensus so I was kinda confused at some stuff. Character interaction is definitely important as the audience also feeds off of that and in turn, makes the game more exciting.

One more week to go everyone! Btw, how's everybody's costumes coming along?
Great. I'll be working on my robes today and finishing the mask either tonight or tomorrow if all things go well with the final touches with bondo and sanding.

Then, all I'll have left is just the leg pieces and considering we have the entirety of Monday off for the holiday, I'll probably be done around then if not extremely close.
__________________
Anime North Cosplay 2013:
First Costume: Commissar - Warhammer 40k: Completed

Fan Expo 2013:
First Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Anime North Cosplay 2014:
First Costume: Dark Angel's Space Marine - Warhammer 40k: 0%
Second Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Quote:
"To me guardsmen, to me! This is your last stand! No doubts, NO FEAR." - Commissar Lord Bernn
darth_horo is offline  
 
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #212
Chibi Lenne
Ghoulia
 
Chibi Lenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxykun View Post
This may sound a bit biased since I hasn't missed a year of it but the cosplay chess is a ton of fun and you do it once you'll want to come back for more, more I say, MOAR.......I mean it's a great event to be part of and anyone who hasn't tried it and has at the very least mildly thought about trying it out I say go for it, what do you got to lose?
LOL thanks Maxy The more people enjoy it the longer we'll keep coming back with bigger and better games!
__________________

2015 Cosplay Plans
Queen Odette / surprise?? / Madam Vastra
Follow me on Facebook for more updates
Costume Con 35 Will be RETURNING to Toronto 2017!!
Chibi Lenne is offline  
Unread 05-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #213
swiftshadow666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summyr View Post
I agree with swiftshadow666. Its little performance gems like this that really get the audience involved and engaged, and make cosplay chess exciting!! More players should be putting forward ideas like this one in order to make the game more fun for those attending and those playing. Even if its something you were planning on doing anyway, its good to share these ideas with those running it so that they can anticipate what you will be doing - at least in my opinion, I'm not sure what the team thinks on the subject.

Last year, I remember there was a lot of confusion during the second game because of all the experimental rules added. These new rules made the game way more exciting at the game table (I was seated near-by, originally meant to be score-keeper but playing a reduced role as an on-call place holder), but hard to follow and uninteresting for those watching it. I think that all cosplay chess really needs is more performance, more character interaction, and unfortunately an inability to trust players with the microphone limits players to "silent film"-esque antics. But this is a lot more than many players seem to think! You can do a lot just by gesturing in ways that are in character (within reason - nothing vulgar or inappropriate for young ones attending the event) or engaging other characters on the board. Even just bouncing in place as most video game characters do can really help keep the audience more interested, and while I think announcers should engage the characters as well, players should make an effort to engage themselves in the game outside of battles, too.

That's my two cents, anyways! >v<;;;
I remember at anime next last year I was hei from darker than black and during the match I just stared at a guy in the square in front of me and slowly tilted my head sideways. It looks really creepy and the announcer actually commented on it.

The announcer is just as important as the players. We had a really good announcer who kept making really corny jokes but it was really funny and made it good. One guy was dressed as russia from hetalia. At one point the announcer made a joke during his battle and told him to quit Stalin. He also said something about quit russian and stop to smell the roses. In order for the game to be good everyone needs to do everything they can to be in character.

There was a guy dressed as red mage and he walked around as if he were an 8 bit character. Even drank a health potion. At the end of the match red mage and sub zero, the kings were left and it was declared a stalemate. The went to shake hands and then subzero attacked and they did a mock battle and declared an actual winner.

It was quite cool. I want to try my best to act in character the whole time. As attackes I plan to yell out fire or ice or different spells. I also plan to say stuff about "My focus" and fate. Even putting one hand in the air and snap the way cid does at one point in the game. I have little things planned in my head to help make my performance better.

I hope the heads ok the rebecca thing. I really like watching performances. If the heads are ok with doing things like that, I would be ok with "summoning" another player to aid me in combat. Maybe someone shows up to see if they can fill a spot but there is not one available. If the heads are ok with It I would be willing to incoporate them into my battle once.
swiftshadow666 is offline  
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #214
Chibi Lenne
Ghoulia
 
Chibi Lenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftshadow666 View Post
I remember at anime next last year I was hei from darker than black and during the match I just stared at a guy in the square in front of me and slowly tilted my head sideways. It looks really creepy and the announcer actually commented on it.

The announcer is just as important as the players. We had a really good announcer who kept making really corny jokes but it was really funny and made it good. One guy was dressed as russia from hetalia. At one point the announcer made a joke during his battle and told him to quit Stalin. He also said something about quit russian and stop to smell the roses. In order for the game to be good everyone needs to do everything they can to be in character.

There was a guy dressed as red mage and he walked around as if he were an 8 bit character. Even drank a health potion. At the end of the match red mage and sub zero, the kings were left and it was declared a stalemate. The went to shake hands and then subzero attacked and they did a mock battle and declared an actual winner.

It was quite cool. I want to try my best to act in character the whole time. As attackes I plan to yell out fire or ice or different spells. I also plan to say stuff about "My focus" and fate. Even putting one hand in the air and snap the way cid does at one point in the game. I have little things planned in my head to help make my performance better.

I hope the heads ok the rebecca thing. I really like watching performances. If the heads are ok with doing things like that, I would be ok with "summoning" another player to aid me in combat. Maybe someone shows up to see if they can fill a spot but there is not one available. If the heads are ok with It I would be willing to incoporate them into my battle once.
I think I speak for -ALL- of the Chess staff when I say it is really really nice to see how enthusiastic everyone is for the chess games this year. Every little bit of in character action you put into it, and make it more of a 'show' for the audience the more fun you will have than just standing there waiting for something to happen.

Hopefully this year the mics will be wireless so we don't have to drag around the long cords (that was such a pain last year and I am continually apologetic to everyone I tripped up). We only have a few days left to prepare so I hope everyone is ready! Both games are going to be totally awesome!
__________________

2015 Cosplay Plans
Queen Odette / surprise?? / Madam Vastra
Follow me on Facebook for more updates
Costume Con 35 Will be RETURNING to Toronto 2017!!
Chibi Lenne is offline  
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #215
Shabranigdo
Registered User
 
Shabranigdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Coin222 View Post
Yeah 'cause she's a medic. But I'll drop dead JUST as she makes it. She'll scream, "WESKEERRR!" And then I'll just get up and we'll get off the board. But that's IF I die =P
Okay so I've talked to the other peeps. So I've got good news and other news. The good news is that you're good to go. Just during sign in, let the MCs know who your friend is and then it should be be fine. As for the other news, I just saved a lot of money on my car insurance
__________________
"Don't be afraid to move forward slowly; only be afraid of standing still."
Shabranigdo is offline  
Unread 05-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #216
GoddessDigi
Mommy of 2
 
GoddessDigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 62
Umm, this is my first year doing cosplay chess..
And I'm not really sure what I can do for my character, interaction wise??
Help
GoddessDigi is offline  
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #217
Shabranigdo
Registered User
 
Shabranigdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessDigi View Post
Umm, this is my first year doing cosplay chess..
And I'm not really sure what I can do for my character, interaction wise??
Help
If I remember correctly, Ayame uses like wind and green leaves to attack right? Well one thing I would suggest is that maybe during the actual battle situation, you can pretend to attack in something of that manner. Or one thing is that to make it funny even, you can pretend that the character you're attacking is Koga and try to make him remember your guys' promise of marriage and then right when they fall in that trap, BOOM! You take out that character in a manner that's befitting of the character.

Also, another thing is that if you have the mic in front of you, then if you want you can talk of your past, troubled history with Koga or something. Again these are just ideas that came to my head just now. Do what you feel comfortable with of course Hope that helps!
__________________
"Don't be afraid to move forward slowly; only be afraid of standing still."
Shabranigdo is offline  
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #218
darth_horo
This is my scary face
 
darth_horo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabranigdo View Post
Okay so I've talked to the other peeps. So I've got good news and other news. The good news is that you're good to go. Just during sign in, let the MCs know who your friend is and then it should be be fine. As for the other news, I just saved a lot of money on my car insurance
I am only reminded of Geico commercials when reading that last line haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessDigi View Post
Umm, this is my first year doing cosplay chess..
And I'm not really sure what I can do for my character, interaction wise??
Help
Couldn't help you, I barely remember anything of the show as is ):

As for myself, how do weapons go for con policies and chess? My lightsaber for example has sound effects and if I were to say, clash someone's sword - it will make the saber sound for this. Is that kind of contact allowed? What is the limit to contact?

If not, I'll just resort to doing the "force choke" which is just me lifting my hand and hopefully, the person on the receiving end realizes what I'm doing and pretends to be choked by some imaginary force haha. Or I guess I could do a force push as well?
__________________
Anime North Cosplay 2013:
First Costume: Commissar - Warhammer 40k: Completed

Fan Expo 2013:
First Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Anime North Cosplay 2014:
First Costume: Dark Angel's Space Marine - Warhammer 40k: 0%
Second Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Quote:
"To me guardsmen, to me! This is your last stand! No doubts, NO FEAR." - Commissar Lord Bernn
darth_horo is offline  
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #219
Shabranigdo
Registered User
 
Shabranigdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_horo View Post
I am only reminded of Geico commercials when reading that last line haha.



Couldn't help you, I barely remember anything of the show as is ):

As for myself, how do weapons go for con policies and chess? My lightsaber for example has sound effects and if I were to say, clash someone's sword - it will make the saber sound for this. Is that kind of contact allowed? What is the limit to contact?

If not, I'll just resort to doing the "force choke" which is just me lifting my hand and hopefully, the person on the receiving end realizes what I'm doing and pretends to be choked by some imaginary force haha. Or I guess I could do a force push as well?

Hey there. With the lightsaber clashing with someone's sword, that's not allowed as our games are specifically no contact. For con policies on weapons and such, please visit the AN website. Force choke will be fine.
__________________
"Don't be afraid to move forward slowly; only be afraid of standing still."
Shabranigdo is offline  
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #220
GoddessDigi
Mommy of 2
 
GoddessDigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabranigdo View Post
If I remember correctly, Ayame uses like wind and green leaves to attack right? Well one thing I would suggest is that maybe during the actual battle situation, you can pretend to attack in something of that manner. Or one thing is that to make it funny even, you can pretend that the character you're attacking is Koga and try to make him remember your guys' promise of marriage and then right when they fall in that trap, BOOM! You take out that character in a manner that's befitting of the character.

Also, another thing is that if you have the mic in front of you, then if you want you can talk of your past, troubled history with Koga or something. Again these are just ideas that came to my head just now. Do what you feel comfortable with of course Hope that helps!
Ah, yeah. she like..punches the ground and has attacking leaves.
Okay, thanks.
GoddessDigi is offline  
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #221
swiftshadow666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
I dont know the show but if she uses leaves as an attack are you able to get some string and attach leave to it? When in combat you can just swing it around and make it look like the leaves are attacking. Alteratively if you have a mini hand held fan you could tie the string with the leaves to it and turn it on and swing it a bit letting the wind blow the leaves like an attack.
swiftshadow666 is offline  
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #222
swiftshadow666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
Another alternative is to get some cardboard and cut them out in the shape of leaves and paint them. During combat you could pull them out and throw them at your opponent. Cardboard should sail nicely enough to make it look like a good attack.

@ dath horo. Are you able to set the sword clash sound off by yourself? Maybe at the end of your swing try to have the sword or your hand impact a little with your opposite hand just enough to set the sound effect clash off? If I was doing it I would attempt to kind of hit the bottom of the lightsaber hilt with my other hand as I make the swing. It could be enough to set off the clashing sound.

Hmm. If I have time I may try to make myself a fire ball to throw when I cast fire. I will have to see if I can find the time and materials.
swiftshadow666 is offline  
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #223
Normally
Spiral Boy
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 177
Sadly, I've got to drop out of Cosplay Chess this year. :( My costume is NOWHERE NEAR completion, and it's already almost Wednesday, so I don't think things will be much different in a few days.

Make the Order side proud, whoever takes the King spot! :D
Normally is offline  
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #224
Summyr
Faceache
 
Summyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessDigi View Post
Umm, this is my first year doing cosplay chess..
And I'm not really sure what I can do for my character, interaction wise??
Help
The biggest advice I could give is really general since I'm not that familiar with Ayame, but... I would look at the character's personality, their ticks, if they have any. Things that they do physically that they do frequently or are associated with that character. For instance, running with the closest example I am familiar with, if you were cosplaying InuYasha, I would reccomend looking mildly irritated and even getting increasingly irritated as the game went on. Tapping your foot impatiently, even getting so frustrated with being stuck in one place as sitting crosslegged as he does. When you get moved, looking incredulous, like "Finally! Jeez! How long were you planning on leaving your best piece sitting around for?". All action-ready and what not.

So yeah, I would really spend like even just twenty minutes refreshing your familiarity with your character through clips on YouTube, just picking up on how they'd react. Body language is big! And it can really help with self-confidence (at least I find) to get into the mindset of the character as best you can. Then you can react more naturally and also remove yourself slightly from the pressures of being in the spotlight, so to speak, in front of so many people because its not you: its Ayame!

I don't know if that was helpful at all, but hopefully, maybe...? >v<;;

Anime North is so close!!! Ahhhh! Excitement! Also, last minute costuming. I still need to cut my Rufus wig - what am I doing?? xD Hope everyone else is getting along well!
__________________
Eagerly looking forward to Anime North 2012!!!
Summyr is offline  
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #225
Shabranigdo
Registered User
 
Shabranigdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normally View Post
Sadly, I've got to drop out of Cosplay Chess this year. My costume is NOWHERE NEAR completion, and it's already almost Wednesday, so I don't think things will be much different in a few days.

Make the Order side proud, whoever takes the King spot!
Holy geez. The King is dead. Sorry to hear. Well, whomever takes that King spot, will hopefully do you some justice. Hope you at least have fun at the con!
__________________
"Don't be afraid to move forward slowly; only be afraid of standing still."
Shabranigdo is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.