Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Closed Thread
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #301
darth_horo
This is my scary face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan Som View Post
Overall I think it is going great but a few things I can say are.

-I'm not sure if I like the specfic anime chess game because it limits the vareity in the different cosplays. I think one thing that made the chaos vs order game was the diversity I mean you had characters ranging from mewtwo to sack boy.

-Maybe some type of awards after the game if there is time ie best costume, most in character, best entertainer, biggest move of the game

As for good themes I would say:

- Comics vs Anime
- Old school vs New hits
- Slice of life vs Action
- Underdogs vs Dominators
- Beasts vs Mechs
- Swords vs Magic
- Movies vs Anime
- Heaven vs Hell
Sailor moon was a result of the anniversary I believe this year, if that's what you meant by specific oriented chess?

Fan Expo 2013:
First Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Anime North Cosplay 2014:
First Costume: Dark Angel's Space Marine - Warhammer 40k: 0%
Second Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Quote:
"To me guardsmen, to me! This is your last stand! No doubts, NO FEAR." - Commissar Lord Bernn

Unread 06-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #302
Chibi Lenne
Ghoulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_horo View Post
Sailor moon was a result of the anniversary I believe this year, if that's what you meant by specific oriented chess?
Yes, this year's Sailor Moon game was a celebration to the 20th anniversary of the release of Sailor Moon in Japan.

As for awards, I am uncertain about the second game, but we did give out a few prizes in the Moon game for costume, first out, most contributions to kill, best battle, most in character etc...so more than likely we will continue this trend.

2013 Cosplay Plans
Queen Elsa / Coronation Elsa / La Carlotta / Miss Frizzle / Vocaloid... thing
Follow me on Facebook for more updates
Costume Con 35 Will be RETURNING to Toronto 2017!!
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #303
Gohan Som

That sounds awesome. Here are a couple more themes.

-Science vs magic
-Americian cival war with cosplay
-Death note theme (people who would support kira vs people who would support L)

We could try Sheldon's 3 person chess and do Dragonball vs Naruto vs One Peice and finally settle the ultimate fanboy arguement. Dibs the jetpack.
Unread 06-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #304
SeprenMaelstrom

I'd love to sign up for next years cosplay chess game! It was pretty interesting watching the Sailor Moon game, and I'd like to participate myself, hahah. I'd love to be an MC, but given that I haven't volunteered at AN before I realize this isn't feasible. Still, I'd love to be a piece.
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #305
Ayame_Higono
Eater of Souls

Quote:
That sounds awesome. Here are a couple more themes.

-Science vs magic
-Americian cival war with cosplay
-Death note theme (people who would support kira vs people who would support L)

We could try Sheldon's 3 person chess and do Dragonball vs Naruto vs One Peice and finally settle the ultimate fanboy arguement. Dibs the jetpack.
Your ideas seem very interesting and I for one really like the idea of "Swords vs Magic". However, the American Civil War with cosplay seems a bit...meh?

Humanized Creeper - Minecraft - AN2014 (100% done)
Midna - Legend of Zelda - AN2014 (10% done)
Nagisa - Free! - AN2014 (20% done)
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #306
Ayame_Higono
Eater of Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychosupreme View Post
lol I assumed you were simply from your Avatar.
Hehe I was the Finn :333

Unread 06-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #307
Shabranigdo

Quote:
Overall I think it is going great but a few things I can say are.

-I'm not sure if I like the specfic anime chess game because it limits the vareity in the different cosplays. I think one thing that made the chaos vs order game was the diversity I mean you had characters ranging from mewtwo to sack boy.

-Maybe some type of awards after the game if there is time ie best costume, most in character, best entertainer, biggest move of the game

As for good themes I would say:

- Comics vs Anime
- Old school vs New hits
- Slice of life vs Action
- Underdogs vs Dominators
- Beasts vs Mechs
- Swords vs Magic
- Movies vs Anime
- Heaven vs Hell
I like the Underdogs vs Dominators idea
Unread 06-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #308
darth_horo
This is my scary face

Battles of the sexes;
Battling Beauties versus the Manliest of Men

inb4 no

But seriously, I like comics vs anime.
Or even East vs. West (so you can throw in video games as well)

Fan Expo 2013:
First Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Anime North Cosplay 2014:
First Costume: Dark Angel's Space Marine - Warhammer 40k: 0%
Second Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Quote:
"To me guardsmen, to me! This is your last stand! No doubts, NO FEAR." - Commissar Lord Bernn
Unread 06-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #309
Ayame_Higono
Eater of Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_horo View Post
Battles of the sexes;
Battling Beauties versus the Manliest of Men

inb4 no

But seriously, I like comics vs anime.
Or even East vs. West (so you can throw in video games as well)
OH!! I really like the idea of East vs West =D

Unread 06-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #310
Gohan Som

Yeah the civil war idea was more of a joke. Yeah the east vs west idea could work. One other possible idea could be video game characters ie nintendo vs playstation or x box. Not sure how wide that idea is though espically since it's an anime convention not a game one.
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #311
222Coin222

Here's a thought, I've been watching Metrocon's chess matches for sime time now (lacking as they may be nowadays) 2007 and 2008 were my favorites because they had Anime Vs. Video Games in 2007 and then Light Vs. Dark in 2008. They each had some sort of story behind them which tied into one another, from something petty to something bigger. For instance the next chess match should have something at stake, like the Triforce, Chess Championship belt/trophy, Or in Metrocon's case: A Gear which acts as the seal for the nexus of world which allows all these characters to come together in the chess match. So my thoughts are that we should have something at stake but also have something of a story behind the chess match which brought all these people here.
For instance, to add onto the Anime Vs. Comics idea what if someone from the Anime side saw that there were a lot of cosplayers dressing up as comic characters, video game characters, and even things that don't even come close like 'Barney the Dinosaur' and this person was just sick of it, and wanted to prove their dominence over them, after all Anime is the reason we have this wonderful con. The comic, game and everything else side want to prove they have just as much rights to be there as any other character from Naruto, Dragon Ball, Soul Eater, etc. does. This could be an examplary backbone for a story leading into the chess match leaving the match's outcome completely unpredictable. The thing at stake in this idea is bragging rights essentially, or even the championship idea. Or if we're going for a a more fixed approach we can have it so that some the moves are pre planned like: "Having Goku move to a point where he can then fight Superman, or in Metrocon 07's case: Princess Zelda Vs. Nausicaa of the valley of the wind were battling eachother because Cervantes was holding Link hostage and told Zelda he's kill him if she didn't face Nausicaa, even though Zelda wins, Link gets killed anyway and Zelda is just DESTROYED, people in the audience were crying at that scene. Another idea that I came up with is we should have the players say something at the begginning of the fight, like how they do in some fighting games.
Please bare in mind that these are just ideas (and believe me, I have a LOT more) but I'm thinking 2013's chess match should be REALLY epic and have a big meaning behind it. Anime North is the largest anime convention in Canada if I'm not mistaken (Or is that Ontario?)
Unread 06-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #312
Gohan Som

I actually really like the idea of giving it a story. It could have a mortal kombat like feel with every character fighting for a reason some good and some selfesh.
Unread 06-14-2012, 05:17 AM   #313
swiftshadow666

I like the idea of a story. In terms of specific show based matches, I think its ok when you have 2 matches like this year but when there is only one match then it limits alot of people who want to participate.

In terms of improvements, I think maybe if you could find a way to improve some of the battle scenes. Even just having group meeting before hand and reminding everyone of the attack order. I found some of the fight sequences awesome but at the same time I found some had the person who was taking a piece attack first and the other person not getting to do more than just die. It didn't look like a real battle that way.

Also I remember it being announced that time was running low and we had to hurry. Is it possible to get a slightly longer time? If not is it possible to have the game played prior to the event so we are not waiting for the players to think of the move? If you pre decide who is going to stand where then you can just have a list of the moves to announce who is moving where. You could still have two people sit there and move the pieces accordingly on a board so the audience thinks its being played for the first time. This would mean there was less of a chance to run out of time and more time to concentrate on the performance.

You could have time to bring a mic up to the 2 players facing each other and let them say something before battle. A taunt or something that fits the character personality. Something like an RPG where the characters often comment before and after the battle.

I should probably state that until now I had not realized coin had suggested the talking thing. I kind of only skimmed the post due to the cluster of words.

Last edited by swiftshadow666 : 06-14-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #314
VRChoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Lenne View Post
Hey all!!

Cosplay Chess has come a long way since the first year and it's nice to see so much interest year after year. Now we still haven't had the post-Con wrap up meeting but if any of you guys have any thoughts you would like to share you can post them here, or the Sailor Moon chess thread (though I may ask a mod to merge the two just to keep them sort of together for now).
What I'm looking for:
- Feedback from this year from both games
- Ideas for improvements for future years
- Ideas for themes for next year (this year was the first year one game was a specific show for a theme, I'd like to know if you guys like the idea and what other themes / shows you would like to see!)
- any other info you think is relevant!

You can post here or send an email to me at chibi_lenne@me.com

Thanks again and have a great summer everyone!!
As these were two different events, organized by seemingly two different groups, you did an awful lot of thread highjacking. Someone looks desperate for attention.

We're it my forums, you'd have gotten the royal boot already.

On a more thread related note, the "Classic Cosplay Chess" game seemed to gather quite a lot more people towards mid-game. Near the end, the area was pretty well packed.

That's one way to end off with a bang as the OP has said this is the last year for this team.
Unread 06-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #315
swiftshadow666

I have an idea for a battle theme. What about pre 2000 vs post 2000. It could be characters from things that were created before 2000 and characters created after 2000.

That could allow anyone to fit into the theme and still have a nice mix of characters on each team. You could also have characters from the same series facing each other if they were created before and after 2000.

An example would be sephiroth from final fantasy 7 which was created before 2000 and genesis from final fantasy crisis core which was created after. They both appear in crisis core but were created and introduced at different times.
Closed Thread