Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 06-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #316
Shabranigdo
Registered User
 
Shabranigdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftshadow666 View Post
I have an idea for a battle theme. What about pre 2000 vs post 2000. It could be characters from things that were created before 2000 and characters created after 2000.

That could allow anyone to fit into the theme and still have a nice mix of characters on each team. You could also have characters from the same series facing each other if they were created before and after 2000.

An example would be sephiroth from final fantasy 7 which was created before 2000 and genesis from final fantasy crisis core which was created after. They both appear in crisis core but were created and introduced at different times.
I remember that there was a game like that a couple of years back. It was Old School vs. New School I believe with character of anime and video games created before 2000 as being Old School while post-2000 were New School. It would be nice to see that again though
__________________
"Don't be afraid to move forward slowly; only be afraid of standing still."
Shabranigdo is offline  
 
Unread 06-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #317
Chibi Lenne
Ghoulia
 
Chibi Lenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabranigdo View Post
I remember that there was a game like that a couple of years back. It was Old School vs. New School I believe with character of anime and video games created before 2000 as being Old School while post-2000 were New School. It would be nice to see that again though
I liked that theme too, I think repeating themes (as long as it isn't the same one multiple years in a row) isn't such a bad idea either. I have a few suggestions from an email someone sent me:

- Monsters vs Humanoids
- Pokemon vs Digimon
- Magical Girl vs everything else
- Pokemon vs Team Rocket

Here's a question for people: What did you think of the new board layout with the battle zone in the middle? I know battles are something we've always had to improve, and I'm curious! lol.
__________________

2015 Cosplay Plans
Queen Odette / surprise?? / Madam Vastra
Follow me on Facebook for more updates
Costume Con 35 Will be RETURNING to Toronto 2017!!
Chibi Lenne is offline  
Unread 06-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #318
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator
 
Angathol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRChoco View Post
As these were two different events, organized by seemingly two different groups, you did an awful lot of thread highjacking. Someone looks desperate for attention.

We're it my forums, you'd have gotten the royal boot already.
It's not your forum. Smarten up and settle your conflicts like an adult, in private.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleeleelee
What?
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline  
Unread 06-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #319
Shabranigdo
Registered User
 
Shabranigdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol View Post
It's not your forum. Smarten up and settle your conflicts like an adult, in private.
I think that person was referring to if it WERE their forum then that would be the end result.
__________________
"Don't be afraid to move forward slowly; only be afraid of standing still."
Shabranigdo is offline  
Unread 06-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #320
darth_horo
This is my scary face
 
darth_horo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabranigdo View Post
I think that person was referring to if it WERE their forum then that would be the end result.
Even so, the appropriate response was made with the reference in mind. Either way, VRChoco's response was completely rude :v
__________________
Anime North Cosplay 2013:
First Costume: Commissar - Warhammer 40k: Completed

Fan Expo 2013:
First Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Anime North Cosplay 2014:
First Costume: Dark Angel's Space Marine - Warhammer 40k: 0%
Second Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Quote:
"To me guardsmen, to me! This is your last stand! No doubts, NO FEAR." - Commissar Lord Bernn
darth_horo is offline  
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #321
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator
 
Angathol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabranigdo View Post
I think that person was referring to if it WERE their forum then that would be the end result.
I'm aware of that. If that person wants to flex his Internet muscles he can do it somewhere else instead of being a condescending douchebag in a forum where he has no authority. End of discussion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleeleelee
What?
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline  
Unread 06-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #322
swiftshadow666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
I agree that response was uncalled for. Since the runners of this chess are not doing one next year I think the people who are doing one has made a good call coming here to see what other participants think should be done. After all everyone in this thread seems very passionate about the event. Its fun and awesome and anything to help make it better.

As this was my first AN I was not aware they did that theme before. I like the idea of monsters vs humanoids. I dont like pokemon vs digimon as that again limits people who can enter. If you are going to run 2 games during the con then one being a brand vs a brand is fine but I do honestly believe it is unfair to everyone else to do it if there is only one game being run.
swiftshadow666 is offline  
Unread 06-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #323
Maxykun
Best Pawn Ever
 
Maxykun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Lenne View Post
I liked that theme too, I think repeating themes (as long as it isn't the same one multiple years in a row) isn't such a bad idea either. I have a few suggestions from an email someone sent me:

- Monsters vs Humanoids
- Pokemon vs Digimon
- Magical Girl vs everything else
- Pokemon vs Team Rocket

Here's a question for people: What did you think of the new board layout with the battle zone in the middle? I know battles are something we've always had to improve, and I'm curious! lol.
I found it to be interesting. From a player's point of view it was right in the middle of the action and was easy to see, though I can understand how some people watching might have had an issue seeing it due to the pillars getting in the way but in a way depending how the battle went made for good humour spots. I recall where the battles were in previous years so I can see pros and cons with it but overall I think it was a good spot.

One thing I did notice before hand (someone else mentioned this to me as well) that during the sign up process there were less people who were asking to be eliminated early so they could attend a photoshoot this year than in previous ones. While I understand there's lots to see and do at AN and one would want to do as much as they possibly can it seems like a bit of a kick in the pants to those that weren't able to sign up in time and were willing to commit time to the whole thing, but that's just me.

(Unrelated, did both threads merge into one?)
__________________
(Been on here since Jan. 2006 - 316 post count, if anyone's keeping score)
Maxykun is offline  
Unread 06-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #324
Chibi Lenne
Ghoulia
 
Chibi Lenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxykun View Post
One thing I did notice before hand (someone else mentioned this to me as well) that during the sign up process there were less people who were asking to be eliminated early so they could attend a photoshoot this year than in previous ones. While I understand there's lots to see and do at AN and one would want to do as much as they possibly can it seems like a bit of a kick in the pants to those that weren't able to sign up in time and were willing to commit time to the whole thing, but that's just me.

(Unrelated, did both threads merge into one?)
That's a good point (and one I'd never really thought of myself) I know things come up at the last minute especially at con, but that's something I'll definitely bring up.

(and yes both threads were merged into one since I'm looking for all the same feedback XD )
__________________

2015 Cosplay Plans
Queen Odette / surprise?? / Madam Vastra
Follow me on Facebook for more updates
Costume Con 35 Will be RETURNING to Toronto 2017!!
Chibi Lenne is offline  
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #325
darth_horo
This is my scary face
 
darth_horo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 217
An aside in the context of talking about wanting to get knocked out... I didn't ask to get knocked out, but I was sincerely hoping to get knocked out simply because I felt like I was covered in boiling death in my costume (it was mainly the mask that made the issue) hahaha
__________________
Anime North Cosplay 2013:
First Costume: Commissar - Warhammer 40k: Completed

Fan Expo 2013:
First Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Anime North Cosplay 2014:
First Costume: Dark Angel's Space Marine - Warhammer 40k: 0%
Second Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Quote:
"To me guardsmen, to me! This is your last stand! No doubts, NO FEAR." - Commissar Lord Bernn
darth_horo is offline  
Unread 06-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #326
222Coin222
Registered User
 
222Coin222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftshadow666 View Post
I like the idea of a story. In terms of specific show based matches, I think its ok when you have 2 matches like this year but when there is only one match then it limits alot of people who want to participate.

In terms of improvements, I think maybe if you could find a way to improve some of the battle scenes. Even just having group meeting before hand and reminding everyone of the attack order. I found some of the fight sequences awesome but at the same time I found some had the person who was taking a piece attack first and the other person not getting to do more than just die. It didn't look like a real battle that way.

Also I remember it being announced that time was running low and we had to hurry. Is it possible to get a slightly longer time? If not is it possible to have the game played prior to the event so we are not waiting for the players to think of the move? If you pre decide who is going to stand where then you can just have a list of the moves to announce who is moving where. You could still have two people sit there and move the pieces accordingly on a board so the audience thinks its being played for the first time. This would mean there was less of a chance to run out of time and more time to concentrate on the performance.

You could have time to bring a mic up to the 2 players facing each other and let them say something before battle. A taunt or something that fits the character personality. Something like an RPG where the characters often comment before and after the battle.

I should probably state that until now I had not realized coin had suggested the talking thing. I kind of only skimmed the post due to the cluster of words.
I agree with this completely, and yeah sorry I didn't break up my sentences better. (So used to writing full paragraphs xD) But getting the players more involved would be pretty cool. Like if we had MC 1 hang around over at the small board while MC 2 hang around the fight area, in the previous match's case: the middle. We could have more banter between moves and before the fight starts.

(Please bare in mind when I say things like "We should do this" I'm only projecting ideas and not trying to take control over the chess match, people often mistake me for a power trip,) But if we go with a story based idea we should have the audience emersed as much as possible and make them really believe all of these characters came together for the sake of this chess match or whatever's at stake. That said for example one of the best ways to do this is to throw the audience off gaurd with something like a "slaughter-spot". It's a scene where its supposed to disturb you and make you uncomfortable.

Like for example using characters from our prior match-up: If Wesker were to go up against Alice, and for the most part the fight could be pretty whimsical as she's trying to stab Wesker with a knife and he more or less just toys with her, but after a while Wesker becomes more or less aggitated and becomes more aggressive or even under-handed with his attacks like taking cheap shots, belittling her, and in for all in tense of purposes: 'being a flat out prick' (Sorry if that offends!). I can understand why we wouldn't be able to show a scene like that but they're not always as bad as they sound or look on paper, but it still leaves members of the audience feeling uneasy and wanting Wesker to lose.

A simple idea non the less, and for the record I try to be a nice guy in real life ^_^
222Coin222 is offline  
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #327
Vessa-Sushi
The Best kind of Sushi.
 
Vessa-Sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,195
Hola folks!

Just so everyone is aware, the next year thread will be posted probably next month in the new AN forums which are currently in the works.

Feedback from players and audience is most welcome, and if you happen to have suggestions for problems you found, please feel free to post them. If someone starts to poo poo on your thoughts and opinions, just ignore them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even under misinformation and miscommunication (or not). Life goes on, no need to sweat it ^.^

~Vessa
__________________
I have added to my list of cosplay things I do:
Ducttape, Glue gun ,Heat'n'bond
Plushie Version EVERYTHING!
poo flinger! FLING!
Vessa-Sushi is offline  
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #328
222Coin222
Registered User
 
222Coin222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessa-Sushi View Post
Hola folks!

Just so everyone is aware, the next year thread will be posted probably next month in the new AN forums which are currently in the works.

Feedback from players and audience is most welcome, and if you happen to have suggestions for problems you found, please feel free to post them. If someone starts to poo poo on your thoughts and opinions, just ignore them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even under misinformation and miscommunication (or not). Life goes on, no need to sweat it ^.^

~Vessa
Will you post the link on here or do we strictly have to search for it?
222Coin222 is offline  
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #329
222Coin222
Registered User
 
222Coin222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftshadow666 View Post
I like the idea of a story. In terms of specific show based matches, I think its ok when you have 2 matches like this year but when there is only one match then it limits alot of people who want to participate.

In terms of improvements, I think maybe if you could find a way to improve some of the battle scenes. Even just having group meeting before hand and reminding everyone of the attack order. I found some of the fight sequences awesome but at the same time I found some had the person who was taking a piece attack first and the other person not getting to do more than just die. It didn't look like a real battle that way.

Also I remember it being announced that time was running low and we had to hurry. Is it possible to get a slightly longer time? If not is it possible to have the game played prior to the event so we are not waiting for the players to think of the move? If you pre decide who is going to stand where then you can just have a list of the moves to announce who is moving where. You could still have two people sit there and move the pieces accordingly on a board so the audience thinks its being played for the first time. This would mean there was less of a chance to run out of time and more time to concentrate on the performance.

You could have time to bring a mic up to the 2 players facing each other and let them say something before battle. A taunt or something that fits the character personality. Something like an RPG where the characters often comment before and after the battle.

I should probably state that until now I had not realized coin had suggested the talking thing. I kind of only skimmed the post due to the cluster of words.
I agree with this completely, and yeah sorry I didn't break up my sentences better. (So used to writing full paragraphs xD) But getting the players more involved would be pretty cool. Like if we had MC 1 hang around over at the small board while MC 2 hang around the fight area, in the previous match's case: the middle. We could have more banter between moves and before the fight starts.

(Please bare in mind when I say things like "We should do this" I'm only projecting ideas and not trying to take control over the chess match, people often mistake me for a power trip,) But if we go with a story based idea we should have the audience emersed as much as possible and make them really believe all of these characters came together for the sake of this chess match or whatever's at stake. That said for example one of the best ways to do this is to throw the audience off gaurd with something like a "slaughter-spot". It's a scene where its supposed to disturb you and make you uncomfortable.

Like for example using characters from our prior match-up: If Wesker were to go up against Alice, and for the most part the fight could be pretty whimsical as she's trying to stab Wesker with a knife and he more or less just toys with her, but after a while Wesker becomes more or less aggitated and becomes more aggressive or even under-handed with his attacks like taking cheap shots, belittling her, and in for all in tense of purposes: 'being a flat out prick' (Sorry if that offends!). I can understand why we wouldn't be able to show a scene like that but they're not always as bad as they sound or look on paper, but it still leaves members of the audience feeling uneasy and wanting Wesker to lose.

A simple idea non the less, and for the record I try to be a nice guy in real life ^_^
222Coin222 is offline  
Unread 06-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #330
Maxykun
Best Pawn Ever
 
Maxykun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessa-Sushi View Post
Hola folks!

Just so everyone is aware, the next year thread will be posted probably next month in the new AN forums which are currently in the works.

Feedback from players and audience is most welcome, and if you happen to have suggestions for problems you found, please feel free to post them. If someone starts to poo poo on your thoughts and opinions, just ignore them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even under misinformation and miscommunication (or not). Life goes on, no need to sweat it ^.^

~Vessa
Do you mean the thread for sign ups or one to just discuss about what to do for next year?
__________________
(Been on here since Jan. 2006 - 316 post count, if anyone's keeping score)
Maxykun is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.